MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Oil catch can (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/692812-oil-catch-can.html)

Rick X Joaquim 12-20-2017 07:26 AM

Oil catch can

anyone here using an oil catch can other then the weistec one.
hard to pour out 600 for an empty can... 😂

Mort 12-20-2017 08:26 AM

While this has been discussed a lot I don't think anyone has found an alternative to the Weistec Oil-Water/Air separator or managed to cobble their own solution. It would be nice to have a more reasonably priced alternative.

Jasonoff 12-20-2017 09:19 AM

A few people have. They just modified the PCV. There's a thread somewhere about it.

deadlyvt 12-20-2017 01:18 PM

I have a mishimoto one with some custome lines and a modified pcv has worked problem free for 20k km

Diabolis 12-27-2017 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by deadlyvt (Post 7339796)
I have a mishimoto one with some custome lines and a modified pcv has worked problem free for 20k km

+1. I have an ADD W1 that set me back about $90 CAD (which appears to be identical to the Weistec one sans machined logo on top) and a new PCV - which is where the fittings come from - that was under $150 CAD.

Jasonoff 12-27-2017 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis (Post 7344053)
+1. I have an ADD W1 that set me back about $90 CAD (which appears to be identical to the Weistec one sans machined logo on top) and a new PCV - which is where the fittings come from - that was under $150 CAD.

Which version?

Diabolis 12-27-2017 10:33 PM

Which version of what? The catch can?

G_Money 12-27-2017 10:40 PM

Is there a DIY on setting up a non-Weistec can?

Diabolis 12-27-2017 11:08 PM

Never mind - I see that there are indeed two different versions of it, one of which has a breather w/ an air filter at the top of the can. It's NOT that one - that design is actually stupid as the PCV will just vent to the outside through that filter - it's the one without the breather. The only "modification" I made was to pack a chunk of stainless steel scouring pad material (Scotch-Brite?) in the inlet baffle chamber which conveniently has a perforated screw-on cap that was presumably made for this very purpose.

Jasonoff 12-28-2017 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Diabolis (Post 7344387)
Never mind - I see that there are indeed two different versions of it, one of which has a breather w/ an air filter at the top of the can. It's NOT that one - that design is actually stupid as the PCV will just vent to the outside through that filter - it's the one without the breather. The only "modification" I made was to pack a chunk of stainless steel scouring pad material (Scotch-Brite?) in the inlet baffle chamber which conveniently has a perforated screw-on cap that was presumably made for this very purpose.

Saw 3 on their site.
Version 1 . Version 2 . Version 3

BLKROKT 12-28-2017 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff (Post 7344516)
Saw 3 on their site.
Version 1 . Version 2 . Version 3

You want “Version 3” with the larger baffle (“Version 1” would work as well)

JRHolt 12-31-2017 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7344524)

You want “Version 3” with the larger baffle (“Version 1” would work as well)

Have been looking to get one of these for my C63 and my ML350. How do you determine which version you needed?

Thanks for the info :)

Crya 06-21-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by G_Money (Post 7344374)
Is there a DIY on setting up a non-Weistec can?

Did at least a pic of routing for the lines for a generic catch can turn up?

skratch77 06-21-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7484445)
Did at least a pic of routing for the lines for a generic catch can turn up?

Here is mine.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8040ab7aa8.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9783e10e1f.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9d1955d53d.jpg

Big Jimbo 06-21-2018 10:28 AM

Those are great pictures and show how you don't need to purchase a Weistec unit just for the fittings as you can install hoses on your original PCV valve. Your catch can and installation are very similar to the ESC catch can I used during my supercharger installation. I have pictures of the ESC catch can on my posting ESS Supercharger DIY installation.

Crya 06-21-2018 10:51 AM

I'm trying to envision what you've done. So what's with the electrical tape? It looks to me like it's the following sequence:
Crankcase-->PCV Fitting-->New Hose to Catch Can IN-->Catch Can-->New Hose Catch Can OUT-->PCV Valve IN (originally from Crank Case)-->PCV Valve>Stock Connection to Manifold.

Is that right? I think I'm stuck on grasping the connections on the PCV valve itself and how it comes together there.

skratch77 06-21-2018 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7484534)
I'm trying to envision what you've done. So what's with the electrical tape? It looks to me like it's the following sequence:
Crankcase-->PCV Fitting-->New Hose to Catch Can IN-->Catch Can-->New Hose Catch Can OUT-->PCV Valve IN (originally from Crank Case)-->PCV Valve>Stock Connection to Manifold.

Is that right? I think I'm stuck on grasping the connections on the PCV valve itself and how it comes together there.

The electrical tape was used to test fit it and I used clamps on it afterwards.

what we are doing is putting the can between the pcv valve and letting it work as usual. The way I did mine I had to cut the valve and modify it.

Big Jimbo 06-21-2018 03:13 PM

Right, you remove the hose from your existing PCV valve and you are left with the two fitting you need. You then need 3/4" inside diameter hose to run to your catch can and then back to the other PCV fitting. Make sure you connect the correct hose the the "in" and "out" of you catch can as most good cans have an internal baffle that requires correct direction of the flow. It is also much easier if you get 3/4" fittings for your catch can so the hose fits the same as on your PCV valve. The ESC can I purchased had different options for different size hoses. I have some pictures of this on my ESS supercharger DIY install thread.

skratch77 06-21-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo (Post 7484783)
Right, you remove the hose from your existing PCV valve and you are left with the two fitting you need. You then need 3/4" inside diameter hose to run to your catch can and then back to the other PCV fitting. Make sure you connect the correct hose the the "in" and "out" of you catch can as most good cans have an internal baffle that requires correct direction of the flow. It is also much easier if you get 3/4" fittings for your catch can so the hose fits the same as on your PCV valve. The ESC can I purchased had different options for different size hoses. I have some pictures of this on my ESS supercharger DIY install thread.

yup exactly and there is no need to spend anywhere close to 600. I think mine cost me under 100 for everything needed.

Crya 06-21-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 7484788)
yup exactly and there is no need to spend anywhere close to 600. I think mine cost me under 100 for everything needed.

OK. I think that helps. Maybe. So potentially one advantage of the Weistec can then is that it only requires removal of the valve from the Manifold, whereas I can see that to do the generic can, you'd like really need to remove the manifold to get down there and make the connections...? True or no?

skratch77 06-21-2018 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7484800)
OK. I think that helps. Maybe. So potentially one advantage of the Weistec can then is that it only requires removal of the valve from the Manifold, whereas I can see that to do the generic can, you'd like really need to remove the manifold to get down there and make the connections...? True or no?

you need to make that connection either way and might be able to do it without taking the manifold off but I have huge hands and didnt even bother lol.

it's good maintenance anyways to take it off because my manifold was full of oil that I cleaned up.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...800153d627.jpg

Honro 06-21-2018 06:17 PM

You take off the pcv. Cut or remove the hose. On the remaining fittings where the old hose was, put one end into the can, other end back to the intake, add clamps and you're done!

Ryan951s 06-22-2018 12:49 AM

I just did mine using 1/2 inch ID hose using the following steps:

- remove PCV from back of intake.
- make small slice down hose where it connects to PVC so that you can wiggle it off. Leave it connected to the crankcase, no need to remove intake.
- a 1/2 ID hose slides into the factory PVC hose from the crankcase. Insert hose, secure with clamp, run to inlet on your catch can.
- run 1/2 inch hose from outlet of catch can back to PVC on intake. I used a 3/4inch ID 90 degree elbow. One end fit the connection on the PVC perfectly and the 1/2 inch hose from the catch can fits inside the 3/4 inch elbow perfectly.

no need to remove the intake for this procedure.

JRHolt 06-23-2018 09:31 PM

I like the catch can from ECS Tuning since it has a four chamber baffle. Is there a cheaper alternative that will work as well? Just curious which catch cans you guys are using and how much you spent :)

Thanks!!!

jumborx 09-04-2018 10:41 PM

Heres my non weistec catch can install. Its been on the car for 3 months and works fine.

1) Used a new PCV valve and removed the hose connecting both ends (pcv part number is 156010037005) approx $170 AUD
2) Bough ebay catch without vent which was about $50aud.
3) Bought 2m of hydraulic hose 3/4" to fit the the pipe and the catch can fittings. Taipan braided type 100R6 from ebay. That was about $70AUD
4) 4 good hose clamps

Heres a picture of the parts

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3ec2d6a9d9.jpg