C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2012 C63 Black Series...... Bang for buck mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
Not looking to discuss my "exclusive " aero kit, just trying to avoid having to interact with douchebags like you that seem to get a hard on talking **** in almost every topic. You see,I've read through a lot of topics on this forum, and your wise *** comments have derailed many a good discussion. The nice thing about the CLK BS section is that pretty much the only people that go on there are owners of that specific car and I've never seen a topic get derailed by a douche like you.
Classy!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

Classy!
Classy? No. Just being honest. I wasn't trying to start an argument, my question was an honest one. I have owned both BS cars and to me there seems to be similar differences from the standard car and the BS version. I am by no means an expert so I would like to learn what differences the CLK has that the C63 doesn't.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
I believe it's around 90 c63 black series that made it to the us. Main differences. Body - obvious. Different suspension entirely. unique control arms, knuckles, struts/dampeners, springs, bushings all around - subframe and control arm. front and rear strut tower braces. rear differential cooler, additional oil cooler, larger oil cooler, larger transmission cooler and i believe it shares the radiator with an sls as well. I think the brake set up is closer to an e63 and doesnt fit a normal c63 as the knuckle is different. I could go through the parts catalog and verify this stuff. realistically its the same drivertrain, interior and chassis with way better upgraded track ready components/addons that would easily cost 40-50k$ to try and convert your non-blackseries to. I say forget all the small fry stuff. Put a supercharger on it, you're already talking about have blown corvettes previously. Where are you located?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
I believe it's around 90 c63 black series that made it to the us. Main differences. Body - obvious. Different suspension entirely. unique control arms, knuckles, struts/dampeners, springs, bushings all around - subframe and control arm. front and rear strut tower braces. rear differential cooler, additional oil cooler, larger oil cooler, larger transmission cooler and i believe it shares the radiator with an sls as well. I think the brake set up is closer to an e63 and doesnt fit a normal c63 as the knuckle is different. I could go through the parts catalog and verify this stuff. realistically its the same drivertrain, interior and chassis with way better upgraded track ready components/addons that would easily cost 40-50k$ to try and convert your non-blackseries to. I say forget all the small fry stuff. Put a supercharger on it, you're already talking about have blown corvettes previously. Where are you located?
I'm in Colorado. Only have 91 Octane here too
Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 AM

I'm in CO, only 91 octane here too
Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
I believe it's around 90 c63 black series that made it to the us. Main differences. Body - obvious. Different suspension entirely. unique control arms, knuckles, struts/dampener to try and convert your non-blackseries to. I say forget all the small fry stuff.
This is the case of a car that is almost completely different.
My opinion is that this is a reason why it's so expensive as well. Mercedes didn't add couple things slap a sticker and increase the price.
To all the things that you listed add differential different in the main body, excluding the rear cover with cooling fins and driveshaft different.
And nobody bothered to look at engine and transmission internals part numbers yet.
But all magazines and reviewers said the black series transmission shifting much different and better than a C63, supposedly it reacts faster. which could mean at least software differences for the BS, or maybe hardware differences too.

It can seem pathetic that they changed almost all the mechanical parts but only added couple HP and didn't decide to get closer to the output of an SLS. But that's the niche of a C class black series, Mercedes is pretty serious about keeping the classes in their confines.

But of course they're exclusive. This is why I would not mod one, if I owned one.
My opinion is that they will continue to drop in used value, but eventually they will stabilize at a certain value level, provided they're not modded. I write this because this time the car is sufficiently different than the stock C63, for the market to recognize this eventually.
Of course there were other black series before it, but you can see this is different from a standard C63 all the way from the back of an auction hall.. and if the number of 90 is accurate and we get to the point of couple dozens left unmodded, the collectors will start to want them.

Last edited by Vladds; 01-02-2018 at 07:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C63 BS (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Yes, this thread is finally going somewhere, thanks for your input. After seeing the replies such as "leave it pure" and "leave it stock" I do not my plan on modding this car or putting a SC kit on it. ROW air box and mikes power pipe to get rid of the 2nd cat is the most I will do. I will save the hacking for the American Muscle cars 🤓. The reason I bought a BS is because it is so rare, and the wide body, it just looks so mean !! I have been to a ton of car events, and have only scene one C63 BS in person. I'm 99% sure I have the only one in CO.

Noob Question .......I tried to post pic of it to this thread and it does not show up. What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 AM

CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by Vladds
This is the case of a car that is almost completely different.
My opinion is that this is a reason why it's so expensive as well. Mercedes didn't add couple things slap a sticker and increase the price.
To all the things that you listed add differential different in the main body, excluding the rear cover with cooling fins and driveshaft different.
And nobody bothered to look at engine and transmission internals part numbers yet.
But all magazines and reviewers said the black series transmission shifting much different and better than a C63, supposedly it reacts faster. which could mean at least software differences for the BS, or maybe hardware differences too.

It can seem pathetic that they changed almost all the mechanical parts but only added couple HP and didn't decide to get closer to the output of an SLS. But that's the niche of a C class black series, Mercedes is pretty serious about keeping the classes in their confines.

But of course they're exclusive. This is why I would not mod one, if I owned one.
My opinion is that they will continue to drop in used value, but eventually they will stabilize at a certain value level, provided they're not modded. I write this because this time the car is sufficiently different than the stock C63, for the market to recognize this eventually.
Of course there were other black series before it, but you can see this is different from a standard C63 all the way from the back of an auction hall.. and if the number of 90 is accurate and we get to the point of couple dozens left unmodded, the collectors will start to want them.
Great info. I agree with you about modding these things (my old CLK included) I was kicking around the idea of throwing a tune at it but some other BS owners told me they could hardly notice any difference and not to bother. The production numbers btw are more like 100 for the US with 35 having the track pack.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 p31 coupe, Clk550 cab, M3 coupe, LS430, 750LI
If i had a bs. I would mod it enought where a regular full bolt on wouldnt smoke me. All mods would have to be easily 100% reversable. ECU tune (obd2), Arh headers (no cutting involved bolt on to stock resonaters x pipe replaces 2nd cats), Row boxes. Thats it. Well you can do the intake spacers if you like. Its a relatively cheap mod that has given me (and others who actually have them) good results. Good luck!
C63 BS (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 PM
SPONSOR

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E63

Originally Posted by Savage-wp
Fit headers, and get it tuned. It will sound awesome, and give you a healthy bump in power.
Definitely true! We have a great set of long tube headers for the C63 AMG and they add great power and sound.

https://americanracingheaders.com/co...14-long-system
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2007 BMW Z4 MCoupe
Outside of forced induction headers and a tune will net the largest difference on a c63. As a fellow black series owner (with track pack!) I'm leaving mine close to stock. My first and only mod is Mike's power pipe (straight). It gives me the stock sound/tone that I wanted but increased the volume 15% and added more pops/burbles on decel.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I would not change a thing on that street legal track car.... and get some track time and work on the driver.
Leave the bolt-ons for something less special.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by BLKROKT

Classy!
no I agree with him blkrokt you’re an *******.
Ron Olson (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 PM

CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by abashoe
Outside of forced induction headers and a tune will net the largest difference on a c63. As a fellow black series owner (with track pack!) I'm leaving mine close to stock. My first and only mod is Mike's power pipe (straight). It gives me the stock sound/tone that I wanted but increased the volume 15% and added more pops/burbles on decel.
I'd love to hear how yours sounds. I was told resonator delete/ xtube was the way to go on our cars for a little more noise. Whatever I do I want it to be easily reversible.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 PM

Yep, I ordered the Mikes Power Pipe 2 days ago from Maykell. Only other thing I plan on doing is the ROW air box. I know it may not do much for HP gains but I would rather have a little more air flow for relatively cheap.
Thanks again for all your input, I'm ready for Spring so I can start enjoying this thing !!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 PM

You can listen to tons of C63s, BS, 507s, P31 ......w the Mikes power pipe, or the res delete, headers ..... any combo you can imagine on YouTube. Type in what your looking for and it's there. I don't like the Xpipe or res delete as much. It appears to bring the pitch up a few notes. I like the deep growl that the Mikes PP gives.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:02 PM

CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by C63 BS
You can listen to tons of C63s, BS, 507s, P31 ......w the Mikes power pipe, or the res delete, headers ..... any combo you can imagine on YouTube. Type in what your looking for and it's there. I don't like the Xpipe or res delete as much. It appears to bring the pitch up a few notes. I like the deep growl that the Mikes PP gives.
The problem is that I was told,(not confirmed) that our mufflers are unique to the BS so its not really accurate to listen to anything else. I definitely don't want a higher pitch, just something a little more obnoxious. May just leave it alone. Sound sick stock, we'll see.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
The problem is that I was told,(not confirmed) that our mufflers are unique to the BS so its not really accurate to listen to anything else. I definitely don't want a higher pitch, just something a little more obnoxious. May just leave it alone. Sound sick stock, we'll see.
Same mufflers. Different tips.

Non BS has oval tips attached to mufflers. BS has the different tips which are attached to the diffuser.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Er - sorry, but only a complete and utter idiot would molest a BS car (unless you go all the way in like JRCart did with his 700++ hp forced induction Weistecs). If you want to mod something, get a plebian C63 and go nuts. Molesting a BS would be like asking Adriana Lima to get bigger ***** and collagen lip injections because *you* can't leave well enough alone. Besides, any modification you do to a BS car will only decrease its value and appeal, so the best bang-for-your-buck mod is for you to put exactly ZERO bucks into it and leave it alone.

</rant>
The following 5 users liked this post by Diabolis:
CarHopper (01-03-2018), Ludedude (01-04-2018), Mazspeed (01-04-2018), Mully78 (02-02-2018), SuckaGDog (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:48 PM

CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Er - sorry, but only a complete and utter idiot would molest a BS car (unless you go all the way in like JRCart did with his 700++ hp forced induction Weistecs). If you want to mod something, get a plebian C63 and go nuts. Molesting a BS would be like asking Adriana Lima to get bigger ***** and collagen lip injections because *you* can't leave well enough alone. Besides, any modification you do to a BS car will only decrease its value and appeal, so the best bang-for-your-buck mod is for you to put exactly ZERO bucks into it and leave it alone.

</rant>
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel! Haha. I actually agree with you 100%. I would never do anything to my car that wasn't totally reversible.
pakraden (12-25-2021)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:32 AM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel! Haha. I actually agree with you 100%. I would never do anything to my car that wasn't totally reversible.
And that's the thing. I would not touch a BS due to the fact that in 10 years it could be worth 3 times it's value today. (guessing) But It will go up in value, no question, but how much is up to the market. Whatever you do, keep every single stock part and don't let the exhaust shop cut 1 thing on the stock exhaust.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 p31 coupe, Clk550 cab, M3 coupe, LS430, 750LI
H-pipe requires them to cut facory pipe. Only 1 cut, but still its a cut.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
It seems like you've probably got your info but, like others, I'd say stay away from anything that requires permanent modification such as second cat deletes or resonator delete. The only real bolt on options exhaust wise is valved rear silencers, although they don't really add anything noise wise without other exhaust parts, or headers.

Headers on the stock exhaust make it crazy loud. Personally I like it but it's not for everyone so, best would be installing both of the above. I didn't get a CEL after headers (with sports cats) but some people do. If that's the case a tune would be a good option and should add like 40-50hp to your car with the headers. All of this is totally reversible and you can return the car fully back to stock when you're done.

IMO the perfect car to go ***** out modifying would be a low spec "normal" C63 Coupe with some sort of light salvage involvement that's been repaired well. Throw on the BS body, full exhaust and supercharge it, diff too if not factory, lighter/wider wheels and rubber. The 44O BS cooling kit is an expensive option and probably not worth it for the street. Track work, yes ok and probably an ice tank for the supercharger.

For the European members, I believe all Euro C63's came with a diff cooler stock, LSD inside or not.

Last edited by Cozy; 01-04-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Cozy

The 44O BS cooling kit is an expensive option and probably not worth it for the street.
From what I understand, every BS has the 440 kit installed already from the factory. Someone might want to correct me on that, but I was under the impression that it is.
On another note. I would do the supercharger, put on some sticky Trofeo R tires and a full exhaust kit and call it a day. Then when you sell, put the original parts back on and make some money, then sell the supercharger and exhaust and make more.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
If you got headers as well as an aftermarket cat-back, you would be able to remove your stock exhaust in one piece, no cuts, and keep it in storage if you were to ever put it back stock to sell.

If i had the money for a BS, I'd go full titanium lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 C63 Black Series...... Bang for buck mods?