C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2012 C63 Black Series...... Bang for buck mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Mazspeed
From what I understand, every BS has the 440 kit installed already from the factory. Someone might want to correct me on that, but I was under the impression that it is.
Technically it's not called the 44O kit - that is the retrofit kit for non-BS C63s - but yes, the BS has the additional oil cooling capacity from the factory on which the 44O kit for the non-BS cars is largely based. BS cars with the track package also have a differential cooler located behind the mesh in the rear diffuser.
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (01-09-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
any "bolt on" modification is easily reversible if you give it to someone who actually knows what they are doing. Nothing on the supercharger kits is none reversible. Hell if you were paranoid, you could even get a cloned ecu so you could have a virgin untouched stock one. But kudos if you want to leave it stock, i would much rather see a stock one than a horribly modified or hacked up one. I never have and never will purchase a car as an investment. Cars are meant to be driven. Based on clk63 black series values. this car will not triple in 10years. It'll probably be worth about what it was when it was new. sure its rare but it's the same old story. supply vs demand. Most people arent going spend 130k$ on a 16 year old car when they could buy something new with way more performance. I love all the black series cars but we are talking about just a C class at the end of the day. It'll never get the appreciation of the sl65 of sls b.s. cars.
BLKROKT (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
It's not about the resale value of the car or whether the mods are reversible or not - it's about modifying a "classic" car that doesn't warrant any such mods in the first place. The C63 BS is no more and no less special that any other Black Series car. Regardless of the price or the performance gains, I wouldn't molest one for the same reason that I wouldn't molest an old 911 Turbo (a 930) or a Ferrari 288 GTO. Both are slower than a C63, but any mods to either one would seriously detract from the car's pedigree. The same holds for any AMG BS car. It's not JUST a C class - it's a Black Series car and it will remain a BS car, which is and will remain special at least until Mercedes starts putting BS badges on everything under the roof the way they now have with AMG.

I completely agree that car are meant to be driven - especially the special cars - and would indeed encourage anyone that has one to enjoy them as much as possible. I wouldn't molest it though.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by Diabolis
It's not about the resale value of the car or whether the mods are reversible or not - it's about modifying a "classic" car that doesn't warrant any such mods in the first place. The C63 BS is no more and no less special that any other Black Series car. Regardless of the price or the performance gains, I wouldn't molest one for the same reason that I wouldn't molest an old 911 Turbo (a 930) or a Ferrari 288 GTO. Both are slower than a C63, but any mods to either one would seriously detract from the car's pedigree. The same holds for any AMG BS car. It's not JUST a C class - it's a Black Series car and it will remain a BS car, which is and will remain special at least until Mercedes starts putting BS badges on everything under the roof the way they now have with AMG.

I completely agree that car are meant to be driven - especially the special cars - and would indeed encourage anyone that has one to enjoy them as much as possible. I wouldn't molest it though.
I agree. Some BS cars might increase substantially in value over time, but the CLK and C63BSs won't see much IMO. What they will do is HOLD their value unless they have high mileage or have been modified. Example. My last car was a CLK BS. I had the car for a year, put about 7,000 miles on it and sold it for 2k more than I paid. My goal with my current C63BS is to own it for a year or so and again sell it for what I paid. I'm confident that I will get my money back unless I decide to just keep it for a couple years and add a bunch of miles on it. I have put about 7,000 miles on it in the 10 months I've owned it and it currently sits around 27,000. My opinion which totally unscientific is that 30,000 - 35,000 would result in at least a few thousand in depreciation, and so on for each 5,000 after that.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
That must be a fun way to approach car ownership. I know that I love nothing more than obsessing over the odometer and considering the resale value impact of every mile I put on. Wheeeeeeeeeee let’s go for a ride.... no, wait, I’ve reached my mileage quota this month already let’s go for a nice walk instead.

Like roadtalontsi said, it’s just a hotrod C class. People need to get a grip.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 PM

CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
That must be a fun way to approach car ownership. I know that I love nothing more than obsessing over the odometer and considering the resale value impact of every mile I put on. Wheeeeeeeeeee let’s go for a ride.... no, wait, I’ve reached my mileage quota this month already let’s go for a nice walk instead.

Like roadtalontsi said, it’s just a hotrod C class. People need to get a grip.
Another bad day today?

Last edited by Ron Olson; 01-11-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:47 PM

CLK63 Black
[QUOTE=Ron Olson;7355777]
Old 01-12-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 p31 coupe, Clk550 cab, M3 coupe, LS430, 750LI
OP for the last time. Buy some headers, get a tune and add your ROW boxes and be done with this phuckery. You need to decide whether you bought this car to enjoy it to its fullest or out of curiosity. But what you're doing with this power pipe is pointless. You will get minimal power gains, it WILL improved sound, but decrease your value. Your exaust system WILL BE CUT and will never be 100% original. Everyone who says to leave it "pure" and "it doesnt need anything", is correct as well. Find your stance and stick to it. Your treading in no mans land. Also all of you need to stop acting like this is the Holy Grail. The C63 BS definately is the king of the C class, which is the entry level. Remember that. But that doesnt mean it isnt the best class for our objectives.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 AM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Originally Posted by SactownP31
OP for the last time. Buy some headers, get a tune and add your ROW boxes and be done with this phuckery. You need to decide whether you bought this car to enjoy it to its fullest or out of curiosity. But what you're doing with this power pipe is pointless. You will get minimal power gains, it WILL improved sound, but decrease your value. Your exaust system WILL BE CUT and will never be 100% original. Everyone who says to leave it "pure" and "it doesnt need anything", is correct as well. Find your stance and stick to it. Your treading in no mans land. Also all of you need to stop acting like this is the Holy Grail. The C63 BS definately is the king of the C class, which is the entry level. Remember that. But that doesnt mean it isnt the best class for our objectives.
Agreed! i would do headers with the x pipe, so its completely reversible when it comes time to sell. Best part is that the BS bodykit totally suits the sound of LTHs.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by hadam3
Agreed! i would do headers with the x pipe, so its completely reversible when it comes time to sell. Best part is that the BS bodykit totally suits the sound of LTHs.
I would leave it stock personally, but I agree with above, if you are going do mod the exhaust, the only factory break point is between the Secondary and Resonator, so if you want more noise, do headers and x pipe and connect back to stock resonator, mufflers (or do a full exhaust) then you can easily put it back to stock no damage.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by roadkillrob
I would leave it stock personally, but I agree with above, if you are going do mod the exhaust, the only factory break point is between the Secondary and Resonator, so if you want more noise, do headers and x pipe and connect back to stock resonator, mufflers (or do a full exhaust) then you can easily put it back to stock no damage.
A good friend of mine had a base 2013 C63 sedan (i was still only for M Cars back then). He loved the car so much, he sold his sedan 6 months in for a 12' BS. With the Sedan, he had messed around with the exhaust, numerous cuts, swapping the mufflers for AP valves, various tunes and stuff. That was his learning phase, and with his BS, all he did was EC v5 + full cat delete. I forget where he bought the pipe from, it didn't require any cuts to the stock exhaust, and deleted both primary and secondary cats. Which allowed him a quick swap back to stock when he needed to pass inspections. The car now has the right amount of grunt, but a little too raspy in our opinion. Hence the future plan is to go with a set of LTH and x-Pipe.

Oh btw, the EC tune really improved his MCT Shift speed, which for some reason when stock, felt a lot slower than my 2015 507. So there are advantages to getting a tune on the BS.

Last edited by hadam3; 01-12-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hadam3
A good friend of mine had a base 2013 C63 sedan (i was still only for M Cars back then). He loved the car so much, he sold his sedan 6 months in for a 12' BS. With the Sedan, he had messed around with the exhaust, numerous cuts, swapping the mufflers for AP valves, various tunes and stuff. That was his learning phase, and with his BS, all he did was EC v5 + full cat delete. I forget where he bought the pipe from, it didn't require any cuts to the stock exhaust, and deleted both primary and secondary cats. Which allowed him a quick swap back to stock when he needed to pass inspections. The car now has the right amount of grunt, but a little too raspy in our opinion. Hence the future plan is to go with a set of LTH and x-Pipe.

Oh btw, the EC tune really improved his MCT Shift speed, which for some reason when stock, felt a lot slower than my 2015 507. So there are advantages to getting a tune on the BS.
It was a good post until the very end - because an ECU tune does NOT change how fast the transmission shifts. They may appear quicker as the ECU tune won't reduce the power during the time it takes the transmission to change gears resulting in a jerkier shift which you may perceive as quicker (and that over time will prematurely wear out or damage the transmission), but the shift time is not going to change unless you at the very least also modify the TCU code.
BLKROKT (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis
It was a good post until the very end - because an ECU tune does NOT change how fast the transmission shifts. They may appear quicker as the ECU tune won't reduce the power during the time it takes the transmission to change gears resulting in a jerkier shift which you may perceive as quicker (and that over time will prematurely wear out or damage the transmission), but the shift time is not going to change unless you at the very least also modify the TCU code.
Thanks for sharing that technical detail. Wasn't aware of what specifically changed software/tuning wise, but all i know was before the tune, the BS always had a noticeable lag when shifting gears. After the EC tune, that lag was decreased significantly. Especially for someone who was used to the M3's DCT. Not trying to mislead anyone here. But THERE IS an improvement in shifting because of the tune, whether or not its because the tune stops the car reducing power when changing gears, or actual modification to the TCU.

That said with your knowledge, i would think twice about tuning my BS if there was going to be substantial wear on my transmission from this upgrade.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W204 AMG C63 Coupe
Cool

Mercedes continues to cheap out on transmissions with the W204/W205 C63 by having the single clutch MCT vs E92/F80 M3 dual clutch or the SpeedShift dual clutch in the AMG GT and other models. I guess they had to save money somewhere! =X-D
Old 02-02-2018, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
So the black series lists at 3700 lb, it is lighter. It does have a special differential and composite front fenders.
One avenue to take with it, is to buy the roof panel and headliner from the Japanese market Black series (I could try to locate the part numbers), without the panoramic roof and install that, maybe bringing the weight down to 3600lb.

Then convert to the no rear seat Black series option.
I don't know why, but the no back rear seat option is quite .. complicated.
Meaning that the alignment specs of the no back seat version of the Black series differ from the other one. I would research and find out what happens, is this part of a track package, or maybe not.

Then, in the end, I would involve the dealer in part of the work, so that they make some profit and become helpful and friendly and I would ask them to re-code the car, to no sunroof and no rear seat options.
I would research the European market seats and see which seats made it in the US> One magazine that reviewed the car back in 2012 had a black series optioned with only one power seat. So if this is the case, maybe save another 100 lb with a lightweight factory option, maybe bringing it down to 3500 lb.
Then the car well be more fun.

Also, OP, if you even have the car up on a lift, could you do me a favor and post a picture of the driveshaft?
Thanks.

Last edited by Vladds; 02-02-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:24 AM

CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by Vladds
So the black series lists at 3700 lb, it is lighter. It does have a special differential and composite front fenders.
One avenue to take with it, is to buy the roof panel and headliner from the Japanese market Black series (I could try to locate the part numbers), without the panoramic roof and install that, maybe bringing the weight down to 3600lb.

Then convert to the no rear seat Black series option.
I don't know why, but the no back rear seat option is quite .. complicated.
Meaning that the alignment specs of the no back seat version of the Black series differ from the other one. I would research and find out what happens, is this part of a track package, or maybe not.

Then, in the end, I would involve the dealer in part of the work, so that they make some profit and become helpful and friendly and I would ask them to re-code the car, to no sunroof and no rear seat options.
I would research the European market seats and see which seats made it in the US> One magazine that reviewed the car back in 2012 had a black series optioned with only one power seat. So if this is the case, maybe save another 100 lb with a lightweight factory option, maybe bringing it down to 3500 lb.
Then the car well be more fun.

Also, OP, if you even have the car up on a lift, could you do me a favor and post a picture of the driveshaft?
Thanks.
My car has the Track Pack and has rear seats. The drivers side seat is 100% powered, while the passenger side has to be manually operated to slide up and back. Both have heated seats.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Plasar
Mercedes continues to cheap out on transmissions with the W204/W205 C63 by having the single clutch MCT vs E92/F80 M3 dual clutch or the SpeedShift dual clutch in the AMG GT and other models. I guess they had to save money somewhere! =X-D
yes and bmw cheaps out by not hand buildings engines anymore and throwing a 335 6 banger in the m3!
Old 12-06-2021, 01:40 PM

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
Based on clk63 black series values. this car will not triple in 10years. It'll probably be worth about what it was when it was new. sure its rare but it's the same old story. supply vs demand. Most people arent going spend 130k$ on a 16 year old car when they could buy something new with way more performance. I love all the black series cars but we are talking about just a C class at the end of the day. It'll never get the appreciation of the sl65 of sls b.s. cars.
^this comment did not age well lol... BaT has a full record that most CLK63BS' are well over $130k as of 2021, while the C63BS is trending even higher & reaching the low point of the SL65BS from 2019/2020 price point...
Old 12-06-2021, 02:33 PM

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 1JDM911
^this comment did not age well lol... BaT has a full record that most CLK63BS' are well over $130k as of 2021, while the C63BS is trending even higher & reaching the low point of the SL65BS from 2019/2020 price point...
In fairness if you adjust 115k for inflation then a car sold in 2012 for $115,000 would be the equivalent of $140,000-$142,000 in today's dollars (depending on which inflation calculator you use). The one below which is a good recent low mileage example (MSRP for that one was 115k as the seller included the sticker) sold for a about 10k more than what is was worth in 2012 adjusting for inflation. Nonetheless that is still really good news for all black series owners.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-c63-amg-29/

Last edited by lo-fi; 12-06-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
Yea sorry i was wrong. I didn't predict Merc would make 4 cylinder C63's, decide to go full electric by 2025, and kill all 2022 AMG V8 orders. I also missed foresight of Covid. Toyota dealers have RAV4's for $100k. The used car market is insane, as is the new car market.... gas, inflation, food, you name it. G wagons are going 60k over sticker. I'll just go ahead and blame most of this on Brandon. Who knew he would get elected? I had no idea he'd stimulate the economy so much, spend so much of my tax dollars to run the money printers. At this rate it wont be long before my C63 is worth 130k. lol
lekoza (01-04-2022)
Old 12-09-2021, 05:59 AM

'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by lo-fi
In fairness if you adjust 115k for inflation then a car sold in 2012 for $115,000 would be the equivalent of $140,000-$142,000 in today's dollars (depending on which inflation calculator you use). The one below which is a good recent low mileage example (MSRP for that one was 115k as the seller included the sticker) sold for a about 10k more than what is was worth in 2012 adjusting for inflation. Nonetheless that is still really good news for all black series owners.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-c63-amg-29/
I guess it depends on where you are, condition/mileage and what "spec" the car is (ie. no basic reclinable seats and no panoramic roof), most of them outside of US/Canada/China are all flying off the roof with a much higher price, regardless of inflation, but it is well considered, yes.

AUD$450k is roughly USD$321k as of today.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:01 AM

to the moon it goes!! haha

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
Yea sorry i was wrong. I didn't predict Merc would make 4 cylinder C63's, decide to go full electric by 2025, and kill all 2022 AMG V8 orders. I also missed foresight of Covid. Toyota dealers have RAV4's for $100k. The used car market is insane, as is the new car market.... gas, inflation, food, you name it. G wagons are going 60k over sticker. I'll just go ahead and blame most of this on Brandon. Who knew he would get elected? I had no idea he'd stimulate the economy so much, spend so much of my tax dollars to run the money printers. At this rate it wont be long before my C63 is worth 130k. lol
Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I guess it depends on where you are, condition/mileage and what "spec" the car is (ie. no basic reclinable seats and no panoramic roof), most of them outside of US/Canada/China are all flying off the roof with a much higher price, regardless of inflation, but it is well considered, yes.

AUD$450k is roughly USD$321k as of today.
You can’t compare countries like that. Some like Singapore and Australia have import taxes that make both new and used luxury cars prohibitively expensive to begin with.
Diabolis (12-10-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 05:00 AM

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
You can’t compare countries like that. Some like Singapore and Australia have import taxes that make both new and used luxury cars prohibitively expensive to begin with.
Luxury car tax(LCT) is a ***** here in Aus. Introduced to "protect" the domestic car market. Although i wonder who is cross shopping a commodore with an S class, 911 or lambo 🤔
The following 2 users liked this post by Panzerbiscuit:
BLKROKT (12-12-2021), Diabolis (12-13-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
How are ya'll doing in AUS. Hearing some crazy stuff going on. Ya'll ausies doing ok? I can only imagine what this is doing to your motorsport industry. Love all your work. Lots of awesome stuff comes out of there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 C63 Black Series...... Bang for buck mods?