MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   finally looking to dabble in the world of AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/695031-finally-looking-dabble-world-amg.html)

Stuno1 01-11-2018 07:21 AM

finally looking to dabble in the world of AMG

Ok so I need an ‘interim’ car for a couple of years that I can enjoy with my wife and daughter. I previously owned a Lexus isf and don’t like going backwards. I have looked heavily in to the e92 m3 but actuator issues and push rod bearings are putting me off.

So my search has taken me to the amg coupe 2013/2014 models. Few questions below if folk could assist.

- From looking at forums there don’t seem to be any common major issues with this year car.... is this correct?
- I appreciate the gear box is a weak point but is it that laggy really?
- Running costs are not an issue but is there anything I need to look out for?
- What are residuals like on these? From looking there is 3-4K difference between 2012 and 2014 cars worh 5k per year and similar specs. Assume I am looking at 1.5k per year if I continue this mileage?
- Any options I need to consider as must haves?
- Any tuner recommendations? I understand there is a tuner in London called eurocharged but I can’t find their website!

Cheers

stu

Cozy 01-11-2018 10:16 AM

I wouldn't say that anything major has commonly gone wrong with these cars. Knock on wood, I've had my 2013 for 4yrs and nothing is bad. Early cars (someone will give specifics I'm sure) pre-2011 had a headbolt issue leading to head gasket failure. I imagine all cars have now been recalled and have had the revised bolts fitted. 2011 and later cars came with revised bolts from factory.

Facelift cars (after 2011) had the MCT gearbox. I've personally never felt bad about it. I find it fast and intelligent enough to suit the engine, as well as strong and reliable.

Running costs are reasonable. Servicing is good value for a +/- 500hp car although rear tyres are eaten quickly, yet reasonably priced due to their "narrow" 255 width (a 275 can get under the rear arch if not lowered on stock rims.

Residuals are dependent on the market of your area/country. Here in the U.K they to constantly fluctuate up and down but seem on average steady, due to the lust people have for them still.

Must haves I'd say should be:
- COMAND Online, which I think was an option, although "free" on Edition 125 cars.
- The next would be the Performance Pack which gives you forged pistons, forged crank, red brake callipers with Alu composite front discs and an extra 30hp courstesy of an ECU tune. In the real world though, you probably wouldn't notice or care as it makes zero difference other than a little extra poke from the ECU tune. I'd say this pack is a nice to have rather than necessity. Note that this didn't give you an LSD, that was a separate item that could be spec'd to any C63.
- Limited Slip diff (although aftermarket easily retrofittable)
- 19" wheels look better to me

Other little things could be reversing camera (although easily retrofittable) and HK audio, albeit standard is pretty good too.

Tune, as you're in the UK is a choice of Eurocharged or MSL. They are both sold by MSL in a craphole known as Birmingham, but the company is very very good.

A "standard" C63, Performance Pack or 507 will all remap to the same power, so if that's what you're planning to do then it's probably not necessary that get the Performance Pack at all.

CyanideRide 01-11-2018 11:45 AM

Great post Cozy!

I went through the same thoughts and this post about sums it up nicely.

I opted for the Performance Pack over a 507 edition and plan on putting the money saved into something good :)

Cozy 01-11-2018 12:22 PM

Thanks.

When I was looking for mine, I was looking for the PP without really thinking about it, it was just so hyped that I felt that's what I needed. I then got tired of looking at abused PP cars (yep, beat on only 1yr old) and poor spec examples that I almost gave up.

I then opened my mind to non-PP cars, at which point I still didn't realise that PP's didn't come with a diff automatically, and found some pristine non-PP examples. Luckily I worked out the diff thing as it helped me choose between two non-PP cars, one with and one without.

I do still like the idea of a PP for the cool little additions but ultimately, I picked up a good car which is probably like one of the 10% over here that anyone bothered to spec a diff on. With headers on, I'm
kind of committed to it and doubt I'll sell it at all; I guess I could always paint my intake mani grey and callipers red, to play pretend :D.... kidding.

Savage-wp 01-11-2018 01:07 PM

My dad has a E92 M3 Competition pack, and I have a C63 507 Edition. Both cars shift very quickly. The difference is in the response time to the pull on the paddle. On the M3, you pull the paddle and it shifts, on the C63, you pull the paddle, and there is a slight delay before it shifts.
The actual shift is very quick. When you first get the car, you will probably hit the limiter a few times. But once you get used to it, you just pull the paddle slightly earlier.
The transmission is better in the M, but in my opinion, everything else is better in the C63. The engine is an absolute gem, build quality is great, and the sound is intoxicating.
And my Merc absolutely smashes my dad's M3.

CyanideRide 01-11-2018 01:07 PM

In Canada, the PP comes with everything (albeit, the entry price is ALOT more) but I was dead set on having it.

Luckily, there were many very good examples available.

INS1GNIA 01-11-2018 02:20 PM

Make sure to get one with the lighting package. Definitely a must.
Service isn't really too costly, typical oil change prices.
Depending on driving habit, buying tires is the probably the biggest expense.
Eurocharged UK doesnt seem to have a active site but if you contact the Eurocharged vendor here Eurocharged Profile, I'm sure they can help you out.

Stuno1 01-11-2018 03:16 PM

Great responses folks! Really appreciate it. Some great advice there. Getting a car with the right options is important if they are something i deem worth while waiting for. The pp I like the idea of for the added internals more than anything else but will research more. I think it is something I could pass on in favour of comfort packs and sound system upgrade packs etc.

zcct04 01-11-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by INS1GNIA (Post 7355413)
Make sure to get one with the lighting package. Definitely a must.

what he said.

PP? Meh. It's a nice-to-have. Once tuned, there's negligible performance difference between PP and stock. The PP has stronger internals and will probably outlast the stock engine, but the stock internals are solid and that impact could be a decade away.

G_Money 01-11-2018 05:58 PM

KeylessGo is a must have on ANY Benz in my book!

mikemonty 01-12-2018 01:10 AM

Hi Stu,

I was a BMW guy for many years and owned some nice BMWs (favorite was my M Coupe). I was looking at M3s also but decided to go with a 2014 C63 on a whim for something different. I have to say that I love the C63 and I like the newer Mercedes more than BMW. I have daughters and am doing daily school runs so I can appreciate the 4 doors as well. The gearbox is a little laggy but as others have said, you get used to it and just hit the paddle early. Overall, I am happy that I made the change and really love the car!

Stuno1 01-12-2018 04:40 AM

Keyless go is standard surely? So must have options seem to be... lighting pack, Harman Kardon and 19inch wheels for me. Is there a list of the options that were available anywhere?

Mike - good to know. Thank you for replying. I starts with the amg but then moves to the m3 due to its better handling dynamics. If I am honest it’s looks always left me cold.

roadkillrob 01-12-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stuno1 (Post 7355955)
Keyless go is standard surely? So must have options seem to be... lighting pack, Harman Kardon and 19inch wheels for me. Is there a list of the options that were available anywhere?

Mike - good to know. Thank you for replying. I starts with the amg but then moves to the m3 due to its better handling dynamics. If I am honest it’s looks always left me cold.

Keyless Go was like a $650 option on a w204 C63, so look for that, lighting pack is a nice to have also - HK was standard

Here are the options on a coupe 2012 - somewhere along in the 2012 range they also added Distronic Plus, which is the adaptive radar cruise with emergency braking.

Optional Packages

Lighting Package ($TBD)
  • Bi-xenon Headlamps with active curve illumination
  • Headlamp Cleaning System
  • Adaptive Highbeam Assist*

Lane Tracking Package ($TBD)
  • Blind Spot Assist*
  • Lane Keeping Assist*
Multimedia Package ($TBD)
  • COMAND System w/ 80GB Hard-Drive Navigation
  • Enhanced voice control for audio, telephone and navigation
  • 7-inch high-resolution color display
  • SIRIUS¨ real-time traffic service
  • In-dash SD memory card reader
  • In-dash 6-disc DVD/CD changer
  • Gracenote¨ media database
  • 10GB hard-drive with Music Register
  • Rearview Camera
*Highlight for 2012MY, ** with AMG Development Pkg.

AMG Development Package ($TBD)
  • Speed Limit Raised to 174mph
  • Power Increase of 30hp
  • Lightweight AMG forged pistons
  • Lightweight connecting rods
  • Revised crankshaft
  • Revised ECU
  • Exclusive engine intake runners in Titanium Gray finish
  • Two-piece front brake rotors
  • Red Brake Calipers
  • AMG performance steering wheel with Alcantara side grips
  • Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid Spoiler
Stand Alone Options
  • mbrace telematics
  • Ash Olive Matte Wood Trim*
  • Burl Walnut Wood Trim
  • Carbon Fiber Trim
  • 18″ AMG 5-Spoke Alloy Wheel
  • Parktronic w/ Parking Guidance*
  • Rear side airbags
  • KEYLESS GO
  • Limited Slip Differential
  • Special Order Options
  • Obsidian Black Paint
  • In-dash 6-disc DVD/CD Changer
Paint

Black, Magnetite Black, Mars Red, Cuprite Brown*, Arctic White, Steel Grey, Iridium Silver, Palladium Silver, Diamond White, Lunar Blue*

Upholstery

Black M-B Tex/Dinamica, Porcelain Leather, Sand Leather, Black Leather, Classic Red Leather, Porcelain Leather (Two-Tone), Sand Leather (Two-Tone), Classic Red Leather (Two-Tone)

Stuno1 01-12-2018 08:56 AM

Perfect! Thank you. Perfect spec is lighting and multimedia packages, rear side airbags, keyless go, lsd, dynamic cruise control and parking guidance. Fingers crossed.

SactownP31 01-12-2018 01:25 PM

A PP car will always be better, end of debate. A tuned standard car can keep up or slightly pass a pp car. Tune the pp and its game over standard car. The way i see it is if you dont really care just buy the standard car, its usually priced cheaper and are more readily available. If you are very technical or detail oriented you will always have it in the back of your mind that you settled for the inferior car. Now standard owners this not an insult at all, your car is still awsome. Its just that compared to a PP it comes out 2nd.

zcct04 01-12-2018 01:39 PM

A powered passenger seat is not standard in all versions. It was a low priority for me, but if you plan much travel time and your significant other is picky about seat comfort, this may be worth considering.
I have Alcantara seats and like it a lot - it grips well and seems to wear like iron. However, at least in the 2012 coupe, the only way to get passenger power seat option was if you got leather.
Is that true for all years, and for sedans as well as coupes?

BLKROKT 01-12-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SactownP31 (Post 7356236)
A PP car will always be better, end of debate. A tuned standard car can keep up or slightly pass a pp car. Tune the pp and its game over standard car. The way i see it is if you dont really care just buy the standard car, its usually priced cheaper and are more readily available. If you are very technical or detail oriented you will always have it in the back of your mind that you settled for the inferior car. Now standard owners this not an insult at all, your car is still awsome. Its just that compared to a PP it comes out 2nd.

We P31 owners should have our own sub-forum where we don’t have to deal with the inferior standard owners and can talk about our forged pistons and red brake calipers in peace.

SactownP31 01-12-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7356253)

We P31 owners should have our own sub-forum where we don’t have to deal with the inferior standard owners and can talk about our forged pistons and red brake calipers in peace.

Easy there Ron Old Son! Don't forget about our spoiler and steering wheel.

AMG3.2 01-12-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by SactownP31 (Post 7356236)

I can't tell if you are serious to be honest.

SactownP31 01-12-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by AMG3.2 (Post 7356276)
I can't tell if you are serious to be honest.

50/50. Truth be told the PP is the better car. By how much exactly or if its worth it, its all in the purchaser. If youre not particularly picky, the standard car is awesome. If youre into petty details the PP is for you. Go with what your heart and wallet tells you.

INS1GNIA 01-12-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7356253)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1f31a691df.gif