MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   What do C63 owners think of the 2018 Ford Mustang GT (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/696470-what-do-c63-owners-think-2018-ford-mustang-gt.html)

JakeO 01-25-2018 12:16 AM

What do C63 owners think of the 2018 Ford Mustang GT

Currently own a 2014 C63 507 Coupe and enjoying it very much. Coming from a 2011 C63 sedan (which I also liked apart from the seats), it is a good upgrade with nicer interior, looks, and power. Plus fitted with an Akrapovic full titanium exhaust improves the sound (not too loud but very deep) and character of the car further. The C63 507 is one of my DD cars and an occasional weekend fun car. I do have a few other sports cars as well but mostly dedicated ones and the C63 is the only one in my stable can be both DD/fun.<br /><br />Recently, I'm starting to appreciate the current Ford Mustang as a nice additional fun car. I've never really considered one before but especially the 2018 updates seem very nice. I know that this is not an apples to apples comparison but the reason I'm asking in the forum is because I find the C63 sort of a refined muscle car so our members might be able to share their opinions. As I'm not from the US, the Mustang is quite unique so it's not easy to see or test drive one. Then again, the C63, especially in 507 form, is actually an even much more unique car where I am.<br /><br />So I'm curious, what do C63, especially W204 owners, think of the current Mustang? Is it something you would consider swapping for your C63? Looking at US prices, even a new Mustang is probably cheaper than a used late model W204 C63. But since Mustangs are generally affordable, would you say that the finish, ride quality, or handling are generally lower than the AMG even if it's a newer car?<br /><br />I've never had say an American muscle car so I'm sometimes curious. However, I don't want to buy something then regret so soon. For example, I used to own a 2017 Nissan GTR that I got a good deal for (I actually buy slightly used most of the time). The car was super fast but it felt cold for me and pure speed got boring after a while so it didn't last long with me.<br /><br />Thanks for your feedback!

deadlyvt 01-25-2018 01:04 AM

The new mustang is a good car the engine is the focus point and it sounds good and makes good power.... the newer mustangs have decent build quality and the handling is pretty good too especially for the money
But no like you said not really something I would change my 63 for just because it’s still a mustang and here at least they are a dime a dozen you see them everywhere and after a few months the latest one seems bland or so common you don’t even notice them

INS1GNIA 01-25-2018 01:11 AM

Mustangs are sh*t. There is nothing unique or special about them. Though the Roush P-51, looks wise, is growing on me some. I would never trade any car for a mustang. If you want to get something that is American muscle, get a Dodge Demon or the 2019 ZR1 Corvette.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...facbc922bd.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...76b90f4e66.jpg

Diabolis 01-25-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by JakeO (Post 7365933)
... would you say that the finish, ride quality, or handling are generally lower than the AMG even if it's a newer car?

A run-of-the-mill Mustang is worse in all three areas than a Honda Civic, never mind anything made by Mercedes. The only exception in the handling department only would be the Shelby GT350R, which is the first Mustang ever that has surprisingly predictable and controllable handling (and in this area it is arguably better than a W204 C63), but at that price point you have other considerably more refined options.

AMG3.2 01-25-2018 12:11 PM

They look killer. Wouldn't want to own one unless I had 20+ cars.

tphss 01-25-2018 12:28 PM

The coyote engine is really good, but you can't compare it to a c-class in quality of ride, materials, build etc whether it be a w205 or w204.
The last 6-speed automatic Mustang GT I drove was fine for an auto, but slow and unrefined for spirited driving, much slower than my C63. I assume the new 10-speed for 2018 is better.

I personally liked the looks of the previous 5th gen mustang much better (last updated solid axle 2013-2014), the new Mustang doesn't look like a muscle car anymore.

Mazspeed 01-26-2018 04:21 AM

I really wanted to like it, but fit and finish is terrible, interior quality is junk and has few amenities and it’s just an overblown Taurus with a V8. It’s way overpriced and it has the worst following for any car I have ever seen. Most Mustang drivers are well known for being terrible drivers and crashing into things as if they meant to. Having said that, as a car it’s leaps and bounds better than a Camaro or Dodge Challenger for everyday use which should tell you how bloody awful those cars are. If you have a 507 you should keep it. I absolutely would not get rid of that for a Mustang. You would be taking 3 steps backwards.

JakeO 01-26-2018 07:51 AM

Hearing from the US guys where the Mustang must be very common is interesting to hear. I do remember seeing the previous generation in a local Ford showroom and found the interior finish sort of cheap even if it had a lot of features. But the new Mustang seems a big step up in terms of design although I haven't seen one up close yet.

I thought of the Mustang since it's sort of a value for money sports car just like say, the MX-5 (have an RF). I actually find it very fun even though it's not very fast. Not luxury at all but the overall package is quite good for the price.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Big Jimbo 01-26-2018 09:20 AM

Lots of car for the money but most Mustang owners seem to still have pimples

gtracer 01-26-2018 10:14 AM

They look great and the 5.0 is quick with a few bolt ons. However, American cars in that price range all have cheap interiors and the finishes are not nice. If you have a few cars (like you seem to mention), then maybe it would be "cool" to own one, but I would never purchase one myself. GT350 or GT350R could be a special one to own but rare and $$ and at that price you can get something used that will be even better I think.

betrezra 01-27-2018 05:56 AM

Mustang

my perspective might be different, as i have had seat time in my 507 and the 2017 mustang gt’s w ford perf bolt-ons at cota and ford performance racing school.

the mustang is very capable and fun onntrack. The Big adv being the manual trans. The 507 trans is the worst part of the car. You will not apprec this diff until you drive both on track.

just another viewpoint for you.

JakeO 01-27-2018 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by gtracer (Post 7366918)
They look great and the 5.0 is quick with a few bolt ons. However, American cars in that price range all have cheap interiors and the finishes are not nice. If you have a few cars (like you seem to mention), then maybe it would be "cool" to own one, but I would never purchase one myself. GT350 or GT350R could be a special one to own but rare and $$ and at that price you can get something used that will be even better I think.

Ok, glad to hear other AMG owners' perspective on the Mustang. While I do find the new Mustang cool looking, I'm not yet close to deciding that I want one. I was also curious as there seems a big following in the US.

Unfortunately, GT350 or GT350R Mustangs, whether new or used, are super rare and for a bit more expensive cars, so far I like Porsche the most.

todthedod 01-27-2018 02:07 PM

I used to be a Mustang guy back in the day. I like the looks of the new ones BUT the car shows and cars and coffee events have ruined my view of them. Is it mandatory to straight pipe your Mustang before you go to a car show? Asking for a friend.

kavik 01-27-2018 07:04 PM

theyre just everywhere you look....

SactownP31 01-27-2018 08:13 PM

Its a car for hipsters. Soy Boys if you will. Its a car for people who want to be able overtake a prius, camry, or honda with ease. But on the other hand that Coyote is very efficient. Doesnt look bad either.

GRP 01-28-2018 06:22 PM

I had an as new 2016 GT (2.5K on it) for a couple of weeks in 2016 and covered thousands of miles in a big loop through Texas, Louisiana, Mississipi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and back to Texas.

The Mustang was a pleasure to drive with nice balance and turn in BUT the build quality and ergonimics were crap. Poor fitting plastics, a trunk lid that had to be slammed, poor cabin storage, limited trunk storage - generally very poor use of space. The back seat is a joke and should be offered as factory delete option. The bluetooth linked up perfectly and the comfortable cooled seats were a delight in the sticky south and gave no grief after a long day on the road.

The build and ergonomics were enough to convince me that as much as I enjoyed driving it I would not want to own one. Reading about the 2018 updates I do admit that I am tempted to see if they have improved the product.

In Australia, you are talking Mustang GT at say A$70K on road v C63S at around A$171K on road.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...81b913c57b.jpg

coolcamden 01-28-2018 06:57 PM

It’s funny in a pathetic way to hear all the mustang bash from people who’s never driven one, much less own one. I had a 2016 GT 5.0, Borla’s And Vossen wheels. Lots of fun with absolutely no problems. Not as fast as you’d think it should be... but well balanced and fairly nimble considering its size and weight. Build and quality are very good. Decent practicality. I could fit a road bike with the front wheel off, in the trunk with the rear seat backs down. Dealership support is decent (depends on the individual dealer)...

I sold it for an Audi Q5 SUV, due to health issues. Not a fault of the car at all, still miss the sound it makes going through the gears. I’d certainly buy another one if I could, or still keep my old one. Either way, enjoy whatever you get in good health. ��

SactownP31 01-29-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by coolcamden (Post 7368519)
It’s funny in a pathetic way to hear all the mustang bash from people who’s never driven one, much less own one. I had a 2016 GT 5.0, Borla’s And Vossen wheels. Lots of fun with absolutely no problems. Not as fast as you’d think it should be... but well balanced and fairly nimble considering its size and weight. Build and quality are very good. Decent practicality. I could fit a road bike with the front wheel off, in the trunk with the rear seat backs down. Dealership support is decent (depends on the individual dealer)...

I sold it for an Audi Q5 SUV, due to health issues. Not a fault of the car at all, still miss the sound it makes going through the gears. I’d certainly buy another one if I could, or still keep my old one. Either way, enjoy whatever you get in good health. ��

OP asked C63 owners what they thought. And simply put its an inferior car to the one we drive, end of story. Also most of the bashing is to the Soy Boy drivers/owners not the car itself. Car runs pretty good. A friend of mine has one (not a soy boy). His modded 5.0 beat my modded clk550 on some rolls and digs. Not by alot though probably 1/2 to 1 car length. Be that as it may we both knew the clk was the better car. So imagine it compared to a c63.

BLKROKT 01-29-2018 04:09 PM

I don’t know what this ‘soy boy’ stuff even means, but you invalidate whatever decent points you’re trying to make by sounding stupid.

As for the Mustang, the GT350R is a great piece of engineering. One ran with us at Watkins Glen last year - it could really move and man did it sound great. As for the other models, meh not really my thing. Tough to compare any of them to a C63 though, they’re just totally different cars made for different consumer groups. But the new GT with the performance pack is just as fast stock as a W204 C63, and you can get a brand new one for just a little bit more than a decent used FL W204 C63...

SactownP31 01-29-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7369179)
I don’t know what this ‘soy boy’ stuff even means, but you invalidate whatever decent points you’re trying to make by sounding stupid.

As for the Mustang, the GT350R is a great piece of engineering. One ran with us at Watkins Glen last year - it could really move and man did it sound great. As for the other models, meh not really my thing. Tough to compare any of them to a C63 though, they’re just totally different cars made for different consumer groups. But the new GT with the performance pack is just as fast stock as a W204 C63, and you can get a brand new one for just a little bit more than a decent used FL W204 C63...

So you dont know what "soy boy" means, so it makes my points invalid. Got it. Sorry to have upset the king of the w204 forum. Carry on gents.

BLKROKT 01-29-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SactownP31 (Post 7369199)
So you dont know what "soy boy" means, so it makes my points invalid. Got it. Sorry to have upset the king of the w204 forum. Carry on gents.

I just looked it up. Apparently it means:

“Soy Boy” is a pejorative which is often used in right-wing online communities to describe men lacking masculine characteristics, bearing many similarities to the slang term “cuck”. The term is based on the presence of phytoestrogens contained within soybeans, which have led some to conclude that soy products feminize men who consume them.

I changed my mind. Now I think you sound even stupider than I originally thought. I bet you have a lot of Asian friends.

SactownP31 01-29-2018 05:48 PM

Friends of all race and backgrounds. Very diverse person. I bet you only have 1 friend, and it probably has a license plate mounted wing on it. Take care soy boy i got work to do.

Adi-Benz 01-29-2018 06:28 PM

I agree with Blkrokt on all the points he mentioned - both related to the mustang and not, lol.

I think that its a well balanced car. Obviously for the price you can't expect the interior/etc to be up to par with a mercedes.
That said, as a pony car, it does an excellent job. I'd take it over a camaro, for example, any day.

No need to offend anyone with what they are driving. Each person chooses the car to their taste.

Mazspeed 01-29-2018 07:08 PM

hahahahaha Jim.

That made my day.

SactownP31 01-29-2018 08:33 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e7d751e4cd.png

Long time no see, Maz!