C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Clean oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Clean oil in coolant

Hi all, just noticed a thin layer of very clean oil in my coolant resovior .

it doesn’t use engine oil or coolant

the oil is definitely cleaner than the engine oil which makes me think it’s trans oil mixing with the coolant, I checked the trans oil and it’s not milky and looks normal.

any tips on where to look next ?
Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I get that too. Judging by the color it's transmission fluid. The interesting thing is that I drain and replace the coolant mixture in the overflow tank every 9 months or so and some droplets appear quickly but it never really seems to get worse over time. My tech told me not to worry about it.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
I get that too. Judging by the color it's transmission fluid. The interesting thing is that I drain and replace the coolant mixture in the overflow tank every 9 months or so and some droplets appear quickly but it never really seems to get worse over time. My tech told me not to worry about it.
sounds like it well I’ll be trans oil , is there a trans cooler in radiator or a seperate unit that’s cooled by coolant ?
if so where would I find it to repair/ replace?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Steve-o deevo

sounds like it well I’ll be trans oil , is there a trans cooler in radiator or a seperate unit that’s cooled by coolant ?
A post from 2010:

I was told (by the chief tech at AMG Academy) that the transmission shares a cooler with the engine coolant and also has a separate cooler. There are certainly two oil coolers, one along the bottom middle of the car and the other in front of the right wheel, behind the fog light. The one on the side even has its own dedicated electric fan with venting into the wheel well and out of the side slats.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Steve-o deevo

yes there is a transmission cooler in the radiator passenger side and the lines run just below the upper engine coolant hose. The cooler actually seals by having the lines tightened and pulling the cooler flush so if they are loose they could potentially leak into the radiator... or if you ever have the lines replaced or removed for any reason this could happen as well
Old 02-06-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
I wouldn't recommend driving the car.
I'm pretty sure that coolant ended up in my gearbox and stuffed up the gearbox or torque converter quite badly.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kimeran
I wouldn't recommend driving the car.
I'm pretty sure that coolant ended up in my gearbox and stuffed up the gearbox or torque converter quite badly.
Were you checking your coolant level regularly? Over time mine stays at the same level (I've marked the reservoir with a black dot to easily and accurately check cold levels weekly) so whatever fluid exchange that takes place is of no consequence IMO.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
kineran's advice is spot on. Anytime coolant and oil mix, one has a serious problem. If the source of the mixing is not investigated and repaired pronto, major damage will be incurred.
The following users liked this post:
kimeran (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:57 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by bhamg
Were you checking your coolant level regularly? Over time mine stays at the same level (I've marked the reservoir with a black dot to easily and accurately check cold levels weekly) so whatever fluid exchange that takes place is of no consequence IMO.
I replaced the radiator. It was my stupidity that I didn't research properly and I removed those pipes for the gearbox cooler (not knowing that was for the gearbox cooler).
That caused the oil from the gearbox to mix with the coolant.
Upon first start up, I noticed the oil in my coolant bottle, and that was game over.