MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   What tires are you running for daily driving? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/701915-what-tires-you-running-daily-driving.html)

dunndarryn 03-18-2018 07:30 PM

What tires are you running for daily driving?

Hey guys -

I need some tire advice. I bought my '14 C63 last week and I've already put +/-500 miles on it finding any excuse to drive! The dealer I bought the car from put pretty nice Bridgestone Potenzas on the rear however the front tires are all seasons from Sumitomo. The Sumitomos are nearly brand new but I think they're causing excessive road feel at highway speeds so I want to swap them out.

I'm thinking to just match them to the Potenzas on the back but wanted to see what everyone here is running for daily driving purposes. Thanks in advance for your input - this community has been great so far.

Jasonoff 03-18-2018 07:38 PM

Potenza is a sublcass. Which one are you talking about?

Potenza S-04 Pole Position
Potenza RE980AS
Potenza RE97 A/S
Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT
Potenza RE92
Potenza POTENZA RE92A
Potenza RE760 Sport
Potenza RE040
Potenza RE010
Potenza S-02A
Potenza RE050
Potenza RE050A
Potenza S001
Potenza RE070
Potenza RE050 RFT/MOE
Potenza RE050A RFT/MOE/II
Potenza RE-11
Potenza RE-71R

Crya 03-18-2018 07:38 PM

Michelin PSS or PS4S. I’m sure other tires may cut the mustard, but I’m a Michelin Man.

dunndarryn 03-18-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff (Post 7407536)
Potenza is a sublcass. Which one are you talking about?

Potenza S-04 Pole Position
Potenza RE980AS
Potenza RE97 A/S
Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT
Potenza RE92
Potenza POTENZA RE92A
Potenza RE760 Sport
Potenza RE040
Potenza RE010
Potenza S-02A
Potenza RE050
Potenza RE050A
Potenza S001
Potenza RE070
Potenza RE050 RFT/MOE
Potenza RE050A RFT/MOE/II
Potenza RE-11
Potenza RE-71R

Sorry thought I put it in my OP! RE760 Sport.

roadkillrob 03-18-2018 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7407539)
Michelin PSS or PS4S. I’m sure other tires may cut the mustard, but I’m a Michelin Man.

+1 love the Michelins, they don't last the longest but are excellent tires - new P4S is supposed to last longer than PSS and a lot of people seem to be able to get the tread wear warranty to kick in on the PSS and get replacements for half price as the C63 eats everything on the rears.

dunndarryn 03-18-2018 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by roadkillrob (Post 7407545)
+1 love the Michelins, they don't last the longest but are excellent tires - new P4S is supposed to last longer than PSS and a lot of people seem to be able to get the tread wear warranty to kick in on the PSS and get replacements for half price as the C63 eats everything on the rears.

I'm strongly considering Michelin P4S or PSS but I'd prefer something that doesn't wear quite as fast if I can help it.

roadkillrob 03-18-2018 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by dunndarryn (Post 7407544)

Sorry thought I put it in my OP! RE760 Sport.

i have universally hated every Bridgestone tire I have had and swapped them for Michelin’s every time.

asaud7 03-18-2018 11:05 PM

Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's are also an option. The treadwear warranty is a bit more than the PSS.

I have them on the rear of my C63 and have been pleased with them.

chrisridebike8 03-18-2018 11:29 PM

I run Potenza RE-71Rs. They are not what most would daily. I bought them because I planned to track the car more but ended up not having time due to work. I love the grip and the feedback, but damn they are loud and stiff. I think I will try the PS4S.

AMG3.2 03-19-2018 01:15 AM

PS4S in the front, cheaper Hankook V12 EVO2 in the rear cuz burnouts.

RevisionCuda 03-19-2018 02:53 AM

Running the new conti extreme contact sport

Celicasaur 03-19-2018 04:03 AM

Pilot Cup 2's - the best for grip alongside R888 and AD08R, but crucially the lightest of them all.

Sadly...insanely expensive though. I bought a set in August last year and I'm already scared to check the remaining tread :(

Over here they are like...£250GBP which is around $350USD each :eek:

chrisridebike8 03-19-2018 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Celicasaur (Post 7407777)
Pilot Cup 2's - the best for grip alongside R888 and AD08R, but crucially the lightest of them all.

Sadly...insanely expensive though. I bought a set in August last year and I'm already scared to check the remaining tread :(

Over here they are like...£250GBP which is around $350USD each :eek:

How grippy are they when you don't have track temps/heat in them? I like the RE-71Rs because I can pretty much do a WOT launch on the street with FBOs and not have to do a burnout to get heat in them. Do they need heat to be grippy or are they pretty grippy once you leave your parking spot (freezing temps/cold weather excluded)?

Celicasaur 03-19-2018 04:55 AM

With freezing/cold winter temps excluded (let's be honest, I've done most of my driving with those tyres during the winter months), they're good on the street. WOT launch....I've not really done one or raced anybody from a dig since last summer before i even got the tyres :(

SadIy I can't validate that they're good to go from a cold start because 1) my route is always on straight roads when i leave the house for work and 2) I always baby the car for the first 15 mins. Hell if it's near zero degree's outside, i don't even have a choice - the tranny doesn't even engage until it's warmed up.

On a more positive note though (with the tyres warmed up), up until around November and running 36psi in the rear they were great. The lower weight really makes the car feel a tad more nimble and happier to change direction. Grip levels when you have a death-wish are comparable to AD08Rs. Those are some heavy-ass tyres though. The inner ricer in me thinks the AD08R had a tad more grip off the line....but the outer ricer in me tells me that he lighter weight of the Cup 2 is worth the trade off in every other scenario.

dunndarryn 03-19-2018 08:51 AM

Thanks for all the input so far guys! I looked into the warranty on the Pilot SS however it mentions in their warranty info that if your tires are staggered the warranty is halved since they can't be rotated. Knowing that I can't imagine there's going to be much value in trying to chase that down because they'd effectively only be warrantied for 15k miles.. Still good to know and still an option!

Has anyone ran Pirelli PZeros on their car? That's what I ran on my S5 and I liked those. They gripped really well in all conditions that we experience in South Florida (hot or rain or both lol) but obviously the S5 was quattro which played a huge role.

dunndarryn 03-19-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by RevisionCuda (Post 7407769)
Running the new conti extreme contact sport

How do you like them? This is another option I'm considering in addition to PZeros and PSS.

roadkillrob 03-19-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dunndarryn (Post 7407856)
Thanks for all the input so far guys! I looked into the warranty on the Pilot SS however it mentions in their warranty info that if your tires are staggered the warranty is halved since they can't be rotated. Knowing that I can't imagine there's going to be much value in trying to chase that down because they'd effectively only be warrantied for 15k miles.. Still good to know and still an option!

Has anyone ran Pirelli PZeros on their car? That's what I ran on my S5 and I liked those. They gripped really well in all conditions that we experience in South Florida (hot or rain or both lol) but obviously the S5 was quattro which played a huge role.

That is correct, warranty is half if you can't rotate, but a lot of people only get 7-8k or less out of them on the rears.

I also ran PZero's on my Audi (S4) and was happy with them and they drove well - not sure on wear though on the 63.

chrisridebike8 03-19-2018 09:26 AM

Sounds like you just need some PS4S. damn good (I have heard) in the dry and much better in the wet than the PSS (which were good in the rain). 15k warranty is good for people as a lot of people get less than 15k on their tires. the Michelin warranty is very good. most people don't like the PZeros or the Contis. There is a massive difference between a 330 hp AWD car and a 500ish hp RWD car. From now on, PSS is my baseline tire. I loved the RE-71Rs except the noise and treadwear. As stated above, I will try the PS4S next.

dunndarryn 03-19-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by roadkillrob (Post 7407881)
That is correct, warranty is half if you can't rotate, but a lot of people only get 7-8k or less out of them on the rears.

I also ran PZero's on my Audi (S4) and was happy with them and they drove well - not sure on wear though on the 63.

Yeah I liked the PZeros and I put 9k miles on them on the Audi and they still looked damn near new. Like you mentioned though I'm not sure how they'll hold up on the 63.

What tires are you running? I know you mentioned Michelin above but didn't specify which ones. I'm looking for a tire that doesn't lack when it comes to performance but I also want it to be "comfortable" and "practical" for daily driving.

RLebwohl 03-19-2018 10:11 AM

I plan on putting on the PS4S's next month on my C63. I just had a set installed on my Boxter S, they are fantastic.

gtracer 03-19-2018 10:15 AM

Make sure you get the right Load rating as you will have issues (front especially) if you dont.

Ill be getting Michelin PS4S most likely.

roadkillrob 03-19-2018 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dunndarryn (Post 7407887)
Yeah I liked the PZeros and I put 9k miles on them on the Audi and they still looked damn near new. Like you mentioned though I'm not sure how they'll hold up on the 63.

What tires are you running? I know you mentioned Michelin above but didn't specify which ones. I'm looking for a tire that doesn't lack when it comes to performance but I also want it to be "comfortable" and "practical" for daily driving.

I was running PSS but bought a CPO 507 about a month ago and although it had PSS's on it when I looked at it with minimal wear, they were 245/265 and CPO requires OEM sizes, so they put new tires on the car before I picked it up and put Continental contisportcontact 5p's on it, so good tires, not a huge fan of continentals in the past and I find them a bit noisy but it was cold when I picked it up and I took them off right away and put on my winters.

Hopefully will get to put them back on in a few weeks when it warms up in Boston.

Rob

RevisionCuda 03-19-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dunndarryn (Post 7407880)
How do you like them? This is another option I'm considering in addition to PZeros and PSS.

They are very comparable to pss and ain't that bad in wet , very pleased.

Crya 03-19-2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by roadkillrob (Post 7407919)
I was running PSS but bought a CPO 507 about a month ago and although it had PSS's on it when I looked at it with minimal wear, they were 245/265 and CPO requires OEM sizes, so they put new tires on the car before I picked it up and put Continental contisportcontact 5p's on it, so good tires, not a huge fan of continentals in the past and I find them a bit noisy but it was cold when I picked it up and I took them off right away and put on my winters.

Hopefully will get to put them back on in a few weeks when it warms up in Boston.

Rob

Just curious what thoughts were on how much noticeable gains there are from 255-265 rears? I'm due for rears and used the ebay $100 off for another set of 255s because 265s were OOS. Now I'm wondering if I'll regret it or if I'd have noticed a difference one size up anyways.

docasim 03-20-2018 03:19 AM

I’ve run Pzero’s, PSS, and now Conti ExtremeContact DW’s front, ExtremeContactSports in the rear, on my C55. On the C55, I prefer the Conti’s. Similar performance to the PSS at a fraction of the price. My C63 came with new Falken FK510 that the dealer mounted, which I quickly tossed for the 4S’s in 245/275. 4S’s are by far the best of the bunch in dry and surprisingly grippy in the wet. Very predictable when they break loose. Designed to be 80% Road, 20% track. I don’t intentionally do burnouts, but would much rather push the C63 hard through corners. Nice turn in, with great traction out. IMO best performance tire on the market. Not including the Cup 2’s.