Brake Fluid or Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
Brake Fluid or Brake Lines

Hi All,

Just got back from a great day at the track, got almost 35 laps in the beast! Each stint was 15 mins long (almost 10 laps per stint). Managed to beat my best time by 1 second!

Anyway, back on topic towards the end of the stints, I was noticing my brake pedal was getting quite long. In-fact on the last corner of the day it went strait to the floor (at my normal braking point) but the car was carrying way too much speed into the corner & I came off. Thankfully no damage! Fast forward to yesterday, I took it to an indy and asked them to put dot 4 or 5 fluid in it after explaining my adventure. Both mechanic's recommended I get braided lines instead as they would provide better lower temperatures then the brake fluid.

Are they correct or are they just trying to "up sell" braided lines? I thought fluid would be much better then braided lines - I only track it maybe 3 times a year..

Anyone have experience on this subject?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 c63
Stainless lines don't lower temperatures, their purpose is to give you better a better pedal feel since they do not expand as much when compared to the oem rubber hoses. I do recommend you getting them if you track at all since it is a one time upgrade. What you need to solve your brakes fading is dependent on your situation, this post will probably answer some of your questions. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...questions.html
Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
I haven’t researched too deeply into this but from what I have read, each scenario is different.

Brake fade with a firm pedal mean you are overheating the pads/rotors and they can no longer stop you.

Good braking with a spongy pedal means you are overheating the fluid or it at least needs to be flushed/bled.

High/rapid pad wear means you are near the pads’ maximum operating temp and should consider upgrading them.

You have at least the second symptom which is either combined with or perhaps caused the first. What was your pad wear like?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Cli63
Stainless lines don't lower temperatures, their purpose is to give you better a better pedal feel since they do not expand as much when compared to the oem rubber hoses. I do recommend you getting them if you track at all since it is a one time upgrade. What you need to solve your brakes fading is dependent on your situation, this post will probably answer some of your questions. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...questions.html
Interesting - sounds like I mis-understood what they were saying. Also, given its only $180 to upgrade, I think ill do it anyway - just wanted clarification - thankyou! I think at this point, ill get the brake fluid flushed as I cant tell when it was last done (if at all) and just test it next time im out..

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I haven’t researched too deeply into this but from what I have read, each scenario is different.

Brake fade with a firm pedal mean you are overheating the pads/rotors and they can no longer stop you.

Good braking with a spongy pedal means you are overheating the fluid or it at least needs to be flushed/bled.

High/rapid pad wear means you are near the pads’ maximum operating temp and should consider upgrading them.

You have at least the second symptom which is either combined with or perhaps caused the first. What was your pad wear like?
Ill find out on Monday, pads & rotors have been on the car less then 2000kms so that would be interesting to see how much I went through. I agree with the second symptom, the braking went from great to good to average & and at the other end pedal just went further and further down until it hit the floor. It was breaking well, just each lap I had to push it further to get the same stopping power (or so it felt). Also after the last session, we drove home (approx 70kms of highway driving). By the time we reached home pedal was back to normal, and car felt great again.

Last edited by Honro; 06-15-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Pedal straight to the floor is because of your brake fluid (need higher temp or fresher fluid). Fade is a result of pads (braking too hot for what you have in now). Both are cheap and easy upgrades that make an enormous difference.
The following users liked this post:
Honro (06-16-2018)