MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   MCT overhearing transmission - fix? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/713348-mct-overhearing-transmission-fix.html)

breeze247 07-09-2018 06:46 PM

MCT overheating transmission - fix?

I’ve read a number of posts over the years about these cars overheating their transmissions when on track.

I’ve seen the dealer fix (to raise the threshold for limp mode) and also the much more expensive 440 package.

Is there an aftermarket tuner solution that has solved this in a way that is hardware (not a revised limp
mode threshold) and affordable?

chrisridebike8 07-09-2018 07:24 PM

The weistec pan is higher capacity with fins and has fittings you can add an aftermarket cooler to.

breeze247 07-10-2018 02:35 AM

Thanks for that, does it actually solve the problem ether with or without an additional oil cooler?

BLKROKT 07-10-2018 10:14 AM

The only way to fix the OIL overheating problem is via the 44O kit. The MCT exacerbates the heat issues and infects the whole system. The MCT itself doesn't really overheat. Although the Weistec trans pan helps with trans temps due solely to the higher capacity of fluid and cooling fins (even better with a plumbed in auxiliary cooler/pump/etc), it doesn't do anything at all about the limp mode issue. I have it, made no difference.

Fixes:
44O Kit
Phenolic intake gaskets
180deg Thermostat
Radiator blockoff plate and bumper cooling duct mods
Redline Waterwetter

NotABaller 07-10-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7498535)
The only way to fix the OIL overheating problem is via the 44O kit. The MCT exacerbates the heat issues and infects the whole system. The MCT itself doesn't really overheat. Although the Weistec trans pan helps with trans temps due solely to the higher capacity of fluid and cooling fins (even better with a plumbed in auxiliary cooler/pump/etc), it doesn't do anything at all about the limp mode issue. I have it, made no difference.

Fixes:
44O Kit
Phenolic intake gaskets
180deg Thermostat
Radiator blockoff plate and bumper cooling duct mods
Redline Waterwetter

If you take this $$ you can buy a track spec miata.

BLKROKT 07-10-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by NotABaller (Post 7498581)
If you take this $$ you can buy a track spec miata.

And then you’re driving a shïtty Miata. What’s your point.

breeze247 07-10-2018 01:46 PM

Hmm. Must say that it is a shame that the costs for getting these cars track ready is so high. We are talking ~$5,000? That is a lot.

Adi-Benz 07-10-2018 01:55 PM

If 180 deg thermostat gives a solution then that is a pretty cheap fix (at least from other cars, idk about c63).

gtracer 07-10-2018 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Adi-Benz (Post 7498721)
If 180 deg thermostat gives a solution then that is a pretty cheap fix (at least from other cars, idk about c63).

That wont do ****. Coolant temps are not the issue. Oil temps are.

BLKROKT 07-10-2018 02:37 PM

It doesn’t hurt. Any temp you can lower helps. High water temp contributes to the problem.

But what do I know. My car doesn’t even come close to suffering from limp mode even when driving the piss out of it on track. I must be doing it all wrong.

Jasonoff 07-10-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7498744)
I must be doing it all wrong.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oeSAD...TmqA/giphy.gif

BLKROKT 07-10-2018 03:06 PM

Well comeon. It’s common sense that all the temps contribute to each other. Just look at the radiator block off plate. That reduces air intake temp by blocking hot radiator air from being ingested, and forces more air into the coolant radiator, which in turn lowers oil temps and delays the onset of limp mode. Anything you can do to lower any temps - air, water, oil, trans - helps tremendously. It’s irritating when people who don’t know anything say that something doesn’t work if they haven’t tried it. Because it does.

Cli63 07-10-2018 03:20 PM

Doesn't OP just want the fix the mct overheating problem? Unless I am mistaken, the 44o doesn't touch anything with the transmission cooler? It only adds an additional oil cooler and replaces the bottom one with a larger one. Just get the larger weistec trans pan, it definitely helps since you get more fluid which in turn will take longer to heat up.

BLKROKT 07-10-2018 03:28 PM

There is no MCT overheating problem. Again, the MCT operation itself heats the entire system. The motor oil is what needs to be cooled. The Weistec trans pan, while good insurance, does absolutely nothing to delay the onset of limp mode, which is motor oil temp related. Not trans temp.

When the trans gets hot, it starts shifting funky but never triggers a limp mode. When the trans locks out Manual and puts you in Comfort, again, that is limp mode which is motor oil related. The OP is talking about limp mode.

Phil_T 07-10-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cli63 (Post 7498804)
Doesn't OP just want the fix the mct overheating problem? Unless I am mistaken, the 44o doesn't touch anything with the transmission cooler? It only adds an additional oil cooler and replaces the bottom one with a larger one. Just get the larger weistec trans pan, it definitely helps since you get more fluid which in turn will take longer to heat up.

Pretty sure that is wrong. The 44O package doesnt add additional cooler, it replaces two.

- The main lower central engine oil cooler it replaces and changes the postion to lying flat
- The secondary engine oil cooler in the side lower grill it replaces, removes the fan completely and gets a new air guide and wheel well trim
- Also replaces two oil lines with largers ones

So both are engine oil cooler replacements and dont touch the mct cooler.

Arjy 07-10-2018 04:07 PM

anyone who has tracked our cars on a hot day knows this problem. 44O seems to be the best "one stop" fix, but good luck getting your hands on one these days (actually no, wish ME luck please). it's that time of year again in the northern hemisphere so its not surprising to see another round of people on here looking for solutions, i know thats the only reason i'm back on here. mostly all i have learned is i should have tracked the car before they stopped producing the kit!

until i somehow get my hands on a kit, the best solution i have found to avoid losing throttle on track is just to watch temps, throw trans back in comfortmode when you're reaching ~280°F oil and hold back a bit. as long as you've got air flowing the temps should start to drop pretty quickly. depending on how hard you drive that will give you at least a couple hard laps. i can see why some think its specifically a trans cooling problem for that reason. anyone who reads blkrokt's thread will see that you can give this car the endurance to last full sessions on track, its just a matter of dedication. some will say get another car, but i've learned theres nothing like absolutely thrashing an m156 on the track ;) better late than never

G_Money 07-10-2018 05:18 PM

http://www.bp-motorsport.com/?page_id=9952

There's this

Arjy 02-06-2019 01:41 PM

Just bumping this thread to let you guys know I've decided to take the plunge on the BPE oil cooler. I'm having it installed by brentuning along with a new tune. I have a track day scheduled in May and will definitely report back with results.

breeze247 02-06-2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Arjy (Post 7674432)
Just bumping this thread to let you guys know I've decided to take the plunge on the BPE oil cooler. I'm having it installed by brentuning along with a new tune. I have a track day scheduled in May and will definitely report back with results.

Great, please do keep us up to date.

Rick X Joaquim 02-09-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7498791)
Well comeon. It’s common sense that all the temps contribute to each other. Just look at the radiator block off plate. That reduces air intake temp by blocking hot radiator air from being ingested, and forces more air into the coolant radiator, which in turn lowers oil temps and delays the onset of limp mode. Anything you can do to lower any temps - air, water, oil, trans - helps tremendously. It’s irritating when people who don’t know anything say that something doesn’t work if they haven’t tried it. Because it does.

doesnt the stock plastic on top of the radiator (fan shroud) does a similar job as the radiator plate? Maybe not as effective as i can see some opening.

i think if we can create more air flow into the engine, should help decrease engine temperature.

Savage-wp 02-10-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Arjy (Post 7674432)

Awesome. Please take some photos of the installation, and let us all know if it's a direct bolt it kit.
Looking forward to your feedback after your first track day.

zcct04 02-12-2019 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by G_Money (Post 7498911)

I love that their web site calls it an "Oli cooler kit".
Where are they based?

Arjy 03-13-2019 01:33 PM

Sorry guys, I guess I jumped the gun a little on that post. Left the deposit for the cooler but the shop got back to me and said the company is difficult to deal with. It sounds like they had the same experience I did when i contacted them directly, they will only take payment by direct transfer to their hong kong bank account. I'll reserve judgment but not something I'm ready to get involved with for now. At least some good news is my car put down really good power on the dyno, for now I'll have to work on a block-off plate until another cooling solution becomes available.

SuckaGDog 03-13-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Arjy (Post 7704495)
Sorry guys, I guess I jumped the gun a little on that post. Left the deposit for the cooler but the shop got back to me and said the company is difficult to deal with. It sounds like they had the same experience I did when i contacted them directly, they will only take payment by direct transfer to their hong kong bank account. I'll reserve judgment but not something I'm ready to get involved with for now. At least some good news is my car put down really good power on the dyno, for now I'll have to work on a block-off plate until another cooling solution becomes available.

You can try reaching out to EAS (European Auto Source) and see if they can special order that for you. They are one of the top sellers for BP Engineering charge pipes for the F8X M3/M4. I know already they have an existing relationship with them.

Arjy 03-13-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SuckaGDog (Post 7704794)
You can try reaching out to EAS (European Auto Source) and see if they can special order that for you. They are one of the top sellers for BP Engineering charge pipes for the F8X M3/M4. I know they have an existing relationship with them.

Wow that is really good to hear, I will have to reach out ASAP.