MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Learning process (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/714884-learning-process.html)

EMTHED 07-22-2018 08:01 AM

Learning process

Hey had my C63 about a week now!! A friend was over the other day with his Vette so we did a few drags. My car seemed to come out of gear completely during its shifts?? I tried the ESP button sports and full off, and still had the issue... my mechanic friend seems to think the car was babied and never pushed hard so it needs to learn a new driving style... any input would be great!!

hyperion667 07-22-2018 08:57 AM

Try resetting your ECU and see if that helps.

Carbon Dated 07-22-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by EMTHED (Post 7508111)
Hey had my C63 about a week now!! A friend was over the other day with his Vette so we did a few drags...

Who won? :stick:

EMTHED 07-22-2018 11:58 AM

Haha... he did, hence the question asked.. lol

CarHopper 07-22-2018 02:49 PM

At least there are only 7 generations of the corvette coming in various trims so that really narrows things down...

curt.r 07-22-2018 03:41 PM

Scroll down to post #2: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...et-my-ecu.html

EMTHED 07-22-2018 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by curt.r (Post 7508331)

thanks will give it a try!!

Celicasaur 07-23-2018 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG (Post 7508299)
At least there are only 7 generations of the corvette coming in various trims so that really narrows things down...

My money is on a C6. Wouldn't have been a Z06 though....those things are bad to the bone :boink:

CarHopper 07-23-2018 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Celicasaur (Post 7508764)
My money is on a C6. Wouldn't have been a Z06 though....those things are bad to the bone :boink:

That's what I was getting at. The post offers us nothing...

Plenty of corvettes out there will smack a c63. Even a base c7 is faster than most people think. Then you take into account the driver, tire conditions, road conditions, race conditions etc...

Not to mention the OP only mentioned what traction control mode was used instead of what tranny mode (C/S/M) but asks a tranny question.

Depending on mileage maybe it's time from tranny service / fluid swap. But other than that my money is on corvettes are faster.

I've been eyeballing some c6 z06's lately... That is one bad betch of a car.

chrisridebike8 07-23-2018 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG (Post 7509218)

Plenty of corvettes out there will smack a c63. Even a base c7 is faster than most people think. Then you take into account the driver, tire conditions, road conditions, race conditions etc...

Not to mention the OP only mentioned what traction control mode was used instead of what tranny mode (C/S/M) but asks a tranny question.

Depending on mileage maybe it's time from tranny service / fluid swap. But other than that my money is on corvettes are faster.

Careful with the valvetrain on those. I heard they are pretty fragile and need to be updated/upgraded almost immediately

Celicasaur 07-23-2018 04:09 PM

slightly off topic....how does a C63 fare against an R8 V10? I pulled slightly on one this weekend. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad.

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7509254)
Careful with the valvetrain on those. I heard they are pretty fragile and need to be updated/upgraded almost immediately

Indeed. A pity really as it's such an epic epic machine. How many NA cars are there that could ever lay down a 10 second pass right out of the box? I think until the Ferrari F12 and Lambo Huracan, it was just the C6 Z06, right?

EMTHED 07-23-2018 04:15 PM

relax there pal!!! It dont matter what vette it was, because the question asked was why the AMG seemed to fall on its face between gear shifts? Literally like the brakes were tapped so to speak! And yes I tried S and M with esp and without!! Just looking for some insite, not criticism you can do that on facebook

Rausky 07-23-2018 04:42 PM

What difference would that make...

CarHopper 07-24-2018 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Dated (Post 7508208)
Who won? :stick:

Originally Posted by EMTHED (Post 7508214)
Haha... he did, hence the question asked.. lol

Originally Posted by EMTHED (Post 7509269)
relax there pal!!! It dont matter what vette it was, because the question asked was why the AMG seemed to fall on its face between gear shifts? Literally like the brakes were tapped so to speak! And yes I tried S and M with esp and without!! Just looking for some insite, not criticism you can do that on facebook

Quite relaxed, thanks.

See above where you were asked who won, to which you replied he did, and then said because he won you were asking the question. Hence my response with regards to there being many different versions of corvettes, some of which a c63 will handle easily, and others it simply cannot touch. It wasn't until later that you said losing to the vette wasn't why you asked but instead because it felt like your car was tapping on it's brakes.

Then, I go on to mention the driving modes because you did not include them originally which is more important than which traction control mode you are in tbh. Reason I ask? Idk... Maybe because if you're in M mode and wait too long to shift you'll hit the limiter and the car will cut power. Oddly, that feels like the car is tapping on the brakes for itself and you'll feel yourself sort of float forwards until the shift happens. However, in S, it'll shift on it's own. Being new to the C63 you should also become aware that while in M mode there is a noticeable delay from pressing the paddle to shift until the shift occurs. The actual action within the tranny isn't too prolonged, but there is a delay. So, if you're revving out in M mode in the future be sure to tap that paddle ~500rpm before you hit that redline.

Others mentioned above resetting adaptations and such, I was simply trying to offer other reasons as to why you experienced what you did. To me it sounds like you weren't paying attention or aware of the shift delay and ended up over-revving your car. No worries though, it's designed to protect itself from that so you aren't hurting anything except your ego.

You should relax a bit. I realize that this is a car forum so naturally you're on guard and will probably lean towards the side of other posters measuring their manliness against yours as though they are in a constant battle to prove themselves superior to you. After I pop a Viagara and get a full blown rager I'm not quite pushing 3 inches... And that's measuring from the balls up. You're fine, pal.

Because I'm a nice, relaxed, guy I'll also answer and provide some helpful insights that are undoubtedly coming:

Unless your car has had the headbolts replaced you are at risk for a major headache. I strongly recommend preventative maintenance in which you replace your current headbolts with the updated version. It is an expensive job (for most) running typically $3k-$5k depending on who does them. I would not tackle this job no matter how handy you are because with something like this I'd like to be able to point my finger at somebody other than myself should something go wrong.

Also - When you want your exhaust to be louder track down a Mike's power-pipe (or any x-pipe) which will delete your secondary cats and then a simple straight through resonator delete. No, you will not need a tune because you're removing cats (they have no sensors associated with them) and it will not cause any problems when it comes to inspection regardless of what state you are in.

Originally Posted by Rausky (Post 7509293)
What difference would that make...

See above. I was under the impression he was asking his question because he had lost to a corvette in a race, which he himself had said. In which case the corvette comes into play hence my inquiry (admittedly in a somewhat passive aggressively manner but I was annoyed at the information provided followed by the lack-thereof... common theme in these parts in addition to bad information).

CarHopper 07-24-2018 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Celicasaur (Post 7509266)
slightly off topic....how does a C63 fare against an R8 V10? I pulled slightly on one this weekend. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad.

Definitely off topic, but idc haha.

Couple of things to address quickly... You're in the E (right?) and have a handful of mods. The R8 has gone through many changes over the years. Focusing specifically on the v10 gen's you still have different version (plus or non-plus) as well as transmission variations. Now I don't know everything about those changes just that they are there and from people I've spoken with (including a guy who owns a company that focuses on Audi) these changes, even subtle, made big differences year to year.

Okay -- So I wouldn't lose any sleep over why you pulled on it especially if it was a stock earlier v10 version. However, a new model v10 plus and I'm scratching my head some. A modded v10 then it was likely a fluke or just not as intense of a race as you were thinking and they were gassing it but not giving it everything it's got.

There are some R8's out there that are just absolute monsters that any AMG platform really can't touch, including those insane JRcart builds, mideast builds, GAD builds, etc. On the other hand, R8's out of the box can be beaten by a whole lot of other offerings out there, such as certain corvette trims :rolleyes:.

EMTHED 07-25-2018 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info, although the viagara part is not my business!!

CarHopper 07-25-2018 07:46 PM

All good.

Enjoy