C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How to test camshaft adjusters or lifters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Estate
How to test camshaft adjusters or lifters

Is there a way to test if the camshaft adjusters are damaged once the valve covers are removed?
What about the lifters?

Regarding rattles on startup, could it be that both the lifters and the camshaft adjusters need replacing?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
camshaft adjusters are usually the culprit in my experience. i had new lifters and still had that annoying ticking. as everybody here states they're the lifters, after 10k miles i replaced all my lifters with new ones again. tick did not go away.

next steps for me...run 2 bottles of Liqui-Moly Pro Line Engine Flush and then 2 bottles of Cera Tec...those who have done that have had nothing but great results.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'09 ML 500 (550) Off road Package
The dealer can see on the star diagnostics how much your adjusters advance and retard apparently because mine was in to test the exhaust cam adjuster on the passenger side (right hand drive vehicle) and the dealer told me they can see slight wear on the other sides exhaust cam adjuster. But I'm only going to change the noisy one that makes a rattle for a split second on start up (intermittently) and then +1 to Hachiroku on the 2 bottles of ceratec. That is good advice, brilliant product.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'10 C63 P30
cant find the video on my start-up chatter at this time but below is a video of my exhaust cam delay/clack that appears to happen at startup prior to the adjuster filling up with oil...

Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 PM

'10 C63 P30
btw, heres the link to a pin flip trick that might work....

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...fix-trick.html

I did it on all as a matter of 'maintenance' (96K miles) - it lessened the problemed adjuster a bit but did not fix it...new adjuster is only option. note that my lifters were all pretty decent but were most worn on that cam. FWIW, lots of theories/opinions but Tasos(youtube m156 guru) tested and believes the lifters to be stronger material than the cams - I replaced lifters in hopes of getting a bit more life out of the cams (a signifcantly higher cost) which look decent.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Estate
OK Iv gotten someone to look at this and they have said that one of the camshaft adjusters is leaking. Could this be the cause? Either way, that's getting swapped for a new one

Will update with more photos of the camshafts and lobes
Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Originally Posted by kkkk
OK Iv gotten someone to look at this and they have said that one of the camshaft adjusters is leaking. Could this be the cause? Either way, that's getting swapped for a new one

Will update with more photos of the camshafts and lobes
I think that the exhaust adjusters are sold by the pair. To me that's a strong indication that this is how they need to be replaced as well.
Also, the intake adjusters had numerous revisions and having two different ones for the same engine may be ok, but would not be my preference.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 228 Likes on 152 Posts
MB dealership also has a procedure that they run via OBD that actuates the adjusters, and records the sound, then can compare this to a database of unhealthy adjuster sounds.
You can have a record of adjuster sound files over time, to compare for any progression of wear, etc

Last edited by MBNRG; 08-15-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 PM

'10 C63 P30
Never heard of 'leaking'? There may be other problems but primary issue is wear of the pin(easily remedied) and/or wear of the pin cavity (if too much replacement needed). Reviewing the pin flip link and especially Tasos video should clarify things. Regarding pairs, everything I've read/seen strongly suggests replacing cams in sets but not sure there's any benefit for adjusters(if only one has an issue) unless there's a ton of miles and you're paying someone else to do the work at that time.