MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Heads up: HD Tuning vs. OE Tuning (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/718137-heads-up-hd-tuning-vs-oe-tuning.html)

deanmc 08-13-2018 07:37 PM

Heads up: HD Tuning vs. OE Tuning

Just wanted to share a friendly run I did with a friend, comparing our tunes. This is my second ECU tune, went from Weistec to OE, but I'm seriously considering a retune by HD after this. My car made 462whp/422 tq peak on the dyno, and his is making about 20 more on same dyno. Mods are listed in the video. I'd love to hear any experiences you guys have had with HD.

Edit: Mods listed below
Silver C63(lead car): P31 package, ROW airbox, AFE filters, Benzworks headers, 2nd cat delete, HD tuning custom dyno tune, 100 oct., Hoosier drag slicks.
Black C63 (camera car): ROW airbox, OEM filters, Benzworks headers, OE tuning stage 2 tune, 91 oct., Nitto NT555 drag radials.

​​​​

skratch77 08-13-2018 07:43 PM

You got walked! I would run pro drys and cut out the second cats and run 100 oct and load up the race map oetuning gave you.

SatelliteMan 08-13-2018 10:05 PM

Love HD. The pops are insane and the power gains are the real deal. I'd prefer to keep them a secret but perhaps it's too late :) !

Savage-wp 08-14-2018 11:32 AM

Is HD a canned tune, or is it a custom Dyno tune.
You can't beat a custom tune

I am Jeff 08-14-2018 11:47 AM

The way your friend "walked you" is definitely more than just "20" horsepower...

chrisridebike8 08-14-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by I am Jeff (Post 7528449)
The way your friend "walked you" is definitely more than just "20" horsepower...

I have seen the graphs they have. 20 is peak hp difference. in the midrange HD is making 40+ whp difference IIRC. again, that's not exact but what I think I remember. regardless, it was pretty healthy.

deanmc 08-14-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 7527983)
You got walked! I would run pro drys and cut out the second cats and run 100 oct and load up the race map oetuning gave you.

I didn't get the handheld, just a flash tune so no race map, unfortunately. Updated the OP with list of mods.

Originally Posted by SatelliteMan (Post 7528085)
Love HD. The pops are insane and the power gains are the real deal. I'd prefer to keep them a secret but perhaps it's too late :) !

I've heard nothing but good things about HD! Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Savage-wp (Post 7528437)
Is HD a canned tune, or is it a custom Dyno tune. You can't beat a custom tune

You're right, the HD tune is a dyno tune, his car is really dialed in.

Graphs show 20 peak whp, but midrange and down low consistently making huge gains. I've updated the OP with list of mods. Weird thing is we were dead even from a dig.

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7528462)
I have seen the graphs they have. 20 is peak hp difference. in the midrange HD is making 40+ whp difference IIRC. again, that's not exact but what I think I remember. regardless, it was pretty healthy.

You nailed it, it's the consistent hp and tq difference throughout the entire range. Going to install filters and run 100 oct and see if there's a difference.

eazy-e90 08-14-2018 06:30 PM

20 more whp 91 oct vs. 100 oct?

Also, would like to see both cars running the same octane to see where they compare. OP if you don't have a 100 oct. map from OE then don't waste your time because it's not going to do much unless you are tuned for it.

A custom tune will always be better than a canned if the tuner knows what he/she is doing.

BLKROKT 08-14-2018 07:50 PM

Betweeen the filters, 2nd cat delete and 100oct tune, those alone could account for the beating you took in the video above.

I’m not at all convinced that the HD tune is the primary difference-maker here. 2nd cat delete by itself is worth ~20whp IIRC.

nardobenz 08-14-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7528949)
Betweeen the filters, 2nd cat delete and 100oct tune, those alone could account for the beating you took in the video above.

I’m not at all convinced that the HD tune is the primary difference-maker here. 2nd cat delete by itself is worth ~20whp IIRC.

I'm not so sure about the secondary cat delete actually adding any power. I did a before and after secondary cat delete dyno and didn't see any gains. Purely sound.

AMGonFire 08-14-2018 10:07 PM

Are you kidding? 91 octane vs 100 octane. That’s the difference right there. These cars love higher octane.

nardobenz 08-14-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by AMGonFire (Post 7529032)
Are you kidding? 91 octane vs 100 octane. That’s the difference right there. These cars love higher octane.

I agree. Plus HD tuning is the sh*t hahah

AMGonFire 08-14-2018 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by nardobenz (Post 7529033)
I agree. Plus HD tuning is the sh*t hahah

i don’t know about that. However if it’s a custom tune on top of it vs an ots tune that’s another big one.

SatelliteMan 08-15-2018 01:23 AM

They have both the flash tune and a custom dyno tune. 10-20 whp difference of gains depending on how healthy your car is and relative mods.

kimeran 08-15-2018 03:47 AM

I don't think there are any gains with 2nd cat delete.
I did mine, and didn't feel or see a difference in dyno results or trap speeds.

I definitely think you need to run the correct fuel, as well as tune your car for it and run again.
Compare apples with apples.

jptaylor 08-15-2018 07:00 AM

...and in reference to this above(no flame Skratch)

i run the aFe pro dry filters with charcoal removed like most everyone else
....BUT....
when BIP was tuning my car on the dyno previously the shop owner stated that the ROW boxes did indeed matter but that the filters made zero difference whatsoever....next time i went by i actually took my OE paper filters with me and sure enough when i ran it back to back they were within 2hp of each other(and that was with the aFe filters in on 1st pull so 2nd pull with paper had more heat soak). A really dialed in tune does make a huge difference but im going to have to give most of this credit to the octane difference as well.

And are you guys really running 91oct???? i have never run less than 93 in mine but then again most suppliers where i live only have 87,89,93

skratch77 08-15-2018 08:27 AM

I have taken my car to the dyno 4 separate times and every time the car made the most power on the second and third pull.

same at the track. The second and third run would be the best runs.

all the oils get hot and thin and the ECU adapts and gives it all got.

chrisridebike8 08-15-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jptaylor (Post 7529197)
...and in reference to this above(no flame Skratch)

i run the aFe pro dry filters with charcoal removed like most everyone else
....BUT....
when BIP was tuning my car on the dyno previously the shop owner stated that the ROW boxes did indeed matter but that the filters made zero difference whatsoever....next time i went by i actually took my OE paper filters with me and sure enough when i ran it back to back they were within 2hp of each other(and that was with the aFe filters in on 1st pull so 2nd pull with paper had more heat soak). A really dialed in tune does make a huge difference but im going to have to give most of this credit to the octane difference as well.

And are you guys really running 91oct???? i have never run less than 93 in mine but then again most suppliers where i live only have 87,89,93

It’s California. We don’t have greater than 91 at the pump. There are some places with 100 but it’s about CA worrying that 93 will not be completely burned and will increase emissions.

jptaylor 08-15-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 7529230)
I have taken my car to the dyno 4 separate times and every time the car made the most power on the second and third pull.

same at the track. The second and third run would be the best runs.

all the oils get hot and thin and the ECU adapts and gives it all got.

may be geographical then as my car is never cool when i get to the dyno....the nearest one to me that i use is 170mi so when i get there the fluids are already plenty hot, loose and all "fluidy". Given these circumstances my 1st pull has always been my strongest(unless of course we tuned after 1st pull). But either way 2whp variable from pull to pull i am almost certain would qualify as acceptable differential. Pro drys in mine and they will stay but what they told then showed me was that i wasted my money.

jptaylor 08-15-2018 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7529347)

It’s California. We don’t have greater than 91 at the pump. There are some places with 100 but it’s about CA worrying that 93 will not be completely burned and will increase emissions.

man that is cRaZy!!!!! there are stations here that sell everything from 87 to 104 and as far as emissions are concerned i could literally run on baby seal blood and stripper glitter and no one would ever even know, much less say anything.

INS1GNIA 08-15-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jptaylor (Post 7529359)
i could literally run on baby seal blood and stripper glitter and no one would ever even know, much less say anything.

I would love to see the backfire/pops from that mix of awesomeness.

jptaylor 08-15-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by INS1GNIA (Post 7529394)

VERY closely resembles the phenomena when unicorns and clowns orgasm simultaneously.....it really is quite magical

chrisridebike8 08-15-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by INS1GNIA (Post 7529394)

the exhaust would smell like single moms and broken dreams.

jptaylor 08-15-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7529475)
the exhaust would smell like single moms and broken dreams.

I TOTALLY support single moms!!!!

MBNRG 08-15-2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jptaylor (Post 7529359)
man that is cRaZy!!!!! there are stations here that sell everything from 87 to 104 and as far as emissions are concerned i could literally run on baby seal blood and stripper glitter and no one would ever even know, much less say anything.

LOL!

Yeah, Cali sucks for a lot of things, but there is 100oct available at some pumps, for $9-10 per gallon.
Can mix in a few gallons with the 91oct to achieve 93oct or higher, depending on preference.

chrisridebike8 08-15-2018 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by jptaylor (Post 7529498)
I TOTALLY support single moms!!!!

me too. And “grad school students” in Key West. I love the Conch Republic.

jptaylor 08-15-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7529825)

me too. And “grad school students” in Key West. I love the Conch Republic.

All jokes aside one of my best professional friends is a very well respected prosecutor. We are at a conference in Atlanta and an unknown colleague walks up and literally screams out "Oh my God, you're Jasmine!!!!"...Long story short, made for an awkward 43sec of all of us knowing that some of our circle had seen others "sans apparel", then we got the explanation of how she put herself through law school stripping and paid CASH every step of the way so when she finished she had ZERO student debt....very cool woman, very cool story, and she STILL wouldn't take any of the $20s I kept throwing at her

Amr_c63 08-15-2018 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by MBNRG (Post 7529737)
LOL!

Yeah, Cali sucks for a lot of things, but there is 100oct available at some pumps, for $9-10 per gallon.
Can mix in a few gallons with the 91oct to achieve 93oct or higher, depending on preference.

Cali is only good for vloggers and women

SactownP31 08-16-2018 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Amr_c63 (Post 7530006)

Cali is only good for vloggers and women

California went from being a hot chick to a feminist. A complete kunt of a state. Problem is most feminist are ugly and crazy. Every thing here is all PC now, which is halla ghay, yeah I said it. I feel bad for older white people here because they're afraid to even say anything. There are no shortages of sjw's and soyboys ready to be offended then call you a racist and wish for your demise.... Wait I just got a strange feeling of deja vu, huh? Anyways Cali sucks now!

Crya 08-16-2018 01:06 PM

I thought we were talking about HDTuning? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not speaking directly at Sacto, but not every state is the best match for every person. That's why America was already great. Freedom. You no like, you go somewhere you do like. Easy peasy. Political/Social views in the minority? Plenty of other areas on the map where views may match yours, should you only want to be surrounded by people with the same viewpoint. Personally, I think it's awesome that companies like Weistech and HDTuning can operate, apparently successfully, relatively within the margins of the CA laws/regs etc. Like F1, the state may introduce more regs, but it's incumbent upon the tuners to find ways through and around. I'd be interested in a re-tune from HDTuning as the tune that came with my car is of unknown provenance, but seems to work well enough. Can HDTuning do remote dyno tuning? Is that a thing?

hachiroku 08-16-2018 02:43 PM

i don't know where you're from but cali is great...you're just hanging around in the wrong area's...that of which i have no idea.

perception is one thing, but actuality is different. and don't hate on cali because our obesity rates are lower than other states.

roadkillrob 08-16-2018 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by hachiroku (Post 7530525)
i don't know where you're from but cali is great...you're just hanging around in the wrong area's...that of which i have no idea.

perception is one thing, but actuality is different. and don't hate on cali because our obesity rates are lower than other states.

Well for one thing you basically can't mod your car any more and all those things in your signature are illegal now in your state. Don't get me wrong I actually like the state, but not the people that can't seem to run it. It's a shame too, car culture pretty much started in California and if they get their way, it will also end in California.

SactownP31 08-16-2018 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by hachiroku (Post 7530525)

There are no wrong areas, people just get butthurt too easy. And people cant seem mind their own business. Always getting into other peoples shyt. Im from the Sacramento area as the name sugest. I hang out with a variety of people. So I hear all sorts of ideas and view points. The problem is surrounding yourself with people who only think the way you do. You start to live in your own little world and dont understand or accept other people point of views. Diversity is key.

G_Money 08-16-2018 05:44 PM

California is a ****hole. Why do you think anyone that can is leaving the state in droves? It's becoming a modern day feudal state where only the mega rich, and very poor live.

We got out while the getting was good (well, actually the Savings and Loan crisis was pretty bad lol)in the early 90s. Nice place to visit but you couldn't pay me to live there. Hell, I'd be a felon the moment I stepped into the state with my firearms that are legal in almost every other state.

SactownP31 08-16-2018 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by G_Money (Post 7530693)
California is a ****hole. Why do you think anyone that can is leaving the state in droves? It's becoming a modern day feudal state where only the mega rich, and very poor live.

We got out while the getting was good (well, actually the Savings and Loan crisis was pretty bad lol)in the early 90s. Nice place to visit but you couldn't pay me to live there. Hell, I'd be a felon the moment I stepped into the state with my firearms that are legal in almost every other state.

Cali is a soyboy paradise. So many things legal in the rest of the country turns you into a felon here. I'm old school, I believe in the first 2 amendments and cali is one who constantly tries to phuck with both of them. I lost all love for cali because they refuse to enforce federal law and now these progressives are even trying ban bible sales. No wonder this place is burning up.

4ramin 08-17-2018 09:08 AM

I have personally done the before and after cat dyno run and yes it was a good 20hp gain . Do people think after all these year someone is going to come out with some crazy tune ? yes octain levels , cats or not , headers , filters can all account for the difference .. on the other hand pushing the car past its safety limits on a tune can also make a difference. At what price is the gain worth it ? also when was the last time plugs had been changed ? when was the last time filters had been cleaned ? my point is veriables are always a factor.

kickinrocks 08-17-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SactownP31 (Post 7530034)
California went from being a hot chick to a feminist. A complete kunt of a state. Problem is most feminist are ugly and crazy. Every thing here is all PC now, which is halla ghay, yeah I said it. I feel bad for older white people here because they're afraid to even say anything. There are no shortages of sjw's and soyboys ready to be offended then call you a racist and wish for your demise.... Wait I just got a strange feeling of deja vu, huh? Anyways Cali sucks now!

Said like someone living in Sacramento lol

hachiroku 08-17-2018 12:01 PM

^ hahahahaha...i didn't want to comment on that aspect but thought the same. :rolf: btw...recently worked in Sacramento for 3 months...that place has changed. its all hipster...modern hipsters are who you speak of. overly vocal about things because they're "hipsters".

chrisridebike8 08-17-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jptaylor (Post 7529834)
All jokes aside one of my best professional friends is a very well respected prosecutor. We are at a conference in Atlanta and an unknown colleague walks up and literally screams out "Oh my God, you're Jasmine!!!!"...Long story short, made for an awkward 43sec of all of us knowing that some of our circle had seen others "sans apparel", then we got the explanation of how she put herself through law school stripping and paid CASH every step of the way so when she finished she had ZERO student debt....very cool woman, very cool story, and she STILL wouldn't take any of the $20s I kept throwing at her

pretty good story! I was in Key West for work and flew a girl I was seeing down there to hang out with me for a few days. The first night she saw that the clubs down there and said she had never been to one. So she asked me to take her. After we walked in and headed towards the stage at the back, I got greeted by 3 different girls BY NAME along the way. She said "how many times have you been here?!" I chuckled and said "once?" Later that night we were riding our bikes back to the hotel and she just kept yelling "My face smells like Alice!!!!!" Later in the trip she realized she had feelings for me when she didn't like it when I put $1 bills in gstrings any more (you can't sit at the stage and not tip. that's poor form). Haha. She's a keeper

SactownP31 08-17-2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dlowery21 (Post 7531216)
Said like someone living in Sacramento lol

Sacramento sucks, no doubt, but not as bad as Stockton, Modesto, Bakersfield, LA, IE, SJ and the biggest shytholes of them all SF/Oak. Not only do all those places suck, they're incredibly expensive to live in and have very high crime rates. And the rest of the state is on fire. Oh well, It is what it is.

jptaylor 08-17-2018 10:29 PM

I have just made the decision that I'm changing the professional statement on my LinkedIn page to "My face smells like Alice".....That **** was AWESOME!!!

kickinrocks 08-18-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by SactownP31 (Post 7531740)
Sacramento sucks, no doubt, but not as bad as Stockton, Modesto, Bakersfield, LA, IE, SJ and the biggest shytholes of them all SF/Oak. Not only do all those places suck, they're incredibly expensive to live in and have very high crime rates. And the rest of the state is on fire. Oh well, It is what it is.

Lol I'm not trying to turn a tuning discussion into a California geographical desirability discussion but I'm pretty sure most people in la and SF would not take agree that sactown is better and would not pay an equivalent price for a comparable place in Sacramento lol, there's a reason why real estate is so expensive in SF/la (whether you like the people there or not). Saying that sactown is better than the Central valley and inland empire may be true idk but that's like saying the diarrhea after taco Bell is better than the diarrhea after del taco... I'll take neither lol. Ok I'm done on this topic... Back to happy tuning magical power results!

SactownP31 08-19-2018 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by dlowery21 (Post 7532181)
Lol I'm not trying to turn a tuning discussion into a California geographical desirability discussion but I'm pretty sure most people in la and SF would not take agree that sactown is better and would not pay an equivalent price for a comparable place in Sacramento lol, there's a reason why real estate is so expensive in SF/la (whether you like the people there or not). Saying that sactown is better than the Central valley and inland empire may be true idk but that's like saying the diarrhea after taco Bell is better than the diarrhea after del taco... I'll take neither lol. Ok I'm done on this topic... Back to happy tuning magical power results!

No one would openly agree. LA is a big disconnected city where the average joe thinks he's more special than he actually is. SF is a complete shythole with human shyt literally on every corner. Price point aside those places suck azz. Really, it just sucks because scumbags in LA, SD, SF, SJ and SAC decide how the rest of the state is governed. But whatever, as long as I get my paper, carry a gun and drive a c63 just like the rest of you, who cares right? Oh and for those of you who think this thread has been jacked, it got jacked when it went to 100 vs 91. The thread died right then and there. So don't trip or get butthurt fellas. Just voicing my opininion after 6 12 packs of modelo especial, ruffles (queso flavor), and some cacaguates japoneses with the compas. No bramido though. Happy Sat.

Celicasaur 08-19-2018 07:48 AM

This was almost an interesting thread about cars until around post #20 :smash:

Originally Posted by deanmc (Post 7527979)
Silver C63(lead car): P31 package, ROW airbox, AFE filters, Benzworks headers, 2nd cat delete, HD tuning custom dyno tune, 100 oct., Hoosier drag slicks.
Black C63 (camera car): ROW airbox, OEM filters, Benzworks headers, OE tuning stage 2 tune, 91 oct., Nitto NT555 drag radials.​​​​

Guys, two very obvious factors here. Let's not get carried away with unicorns and dyno's.

100 oct....that's all there is to it in terms of power - that'll be worth 4-5 degree's of timing vs the camera car...that's quite significant ESP on race fuel.

Then the fact that he's running super lightweight space savers on the rear, which is giving the net feel of running something bigger than a 3.06 final drive.

Yep, this would make it closer....but the rear wheel difference will be the deciding factor.

Yep.

VP c63 08-24-2019 11:50 AM

HD Tuning is awesome! we are the canadian dealer -Vaderperformance

507matteg 08-25-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SactownP31 (Post 7530034)

1000000000000000000000000% agreed and truth

507matteg 08-25-2019 08:03 AM

This thread has helped me out alot...i am going to keep my 507 for a while now and may dabble at some mods.. light mods. Here in MD we have access to all octanes etc so this def. Helps

SatelliteMan 08-27-2019 11:34 PM

First off, HD tuning is awesome. I've had their tune for almost 2 years now. Pops are insane and other out of the box tunes aren't catered to how your engine behaves like HD is.

Secondarily, you are all idiots. California is the best. We have the most beautiful people. Perfect weather. Worlds 6th biggest economy. The views and the cities. Snow. Ocean. Food. Pay to play. Keep your guns keyboard warriors and stay in your stock home in the middle of no where.

G_Money 08-29-2019 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by SatelliteMan (Post 7839863)
Secondarily, you are all idiots. California is the best. We have the most beautiful people. Perfect weather. Worlds 6th biggest economy. The views and the cities. Snow. Ocean. Food. Pay to play. Keep your guns keyboard warriors and stay in your stock home in the middle of no where.

Paradigmatic attitude of California's "most beautiful people." :rolleyes:

hachiroku 08-29-2019 03:26 AM

nobody said we breed them

they just all move here to be models, actresses, or porn stars.

what he said was 150% true

don't pack your bags yet...they all become gold diggers at some point.