MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Airbag recall: Anybody done yet? in US. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/731698-airbag-recall-anybody-done-yet-us.html)

Vladds 01-02-2019 07:09 AM

Airbag recall: Anybody done yet? in US.

As title says, did anybody get called in yet in US for the Airbag recall?

drukoz 01-02-2019 08:07 AM

I heard from my service manager that some of the other models are starting to be worked on slk/ e class and what not goes by vin#

IB Tim 01-02-2019 08:50 AM

I received the letter and have called and called and.....well they cannot get the new bags....frustrating!

bhamg 01-02-2019 08:58 AM

Don't hold your breath on this one. I received the "parts are in, contact your dealer immediately to make an appointment for the replacement" letter in mid-2018 and was informed by multiple dealers that they had no parts available. MBUSA was of no help and frankly, gave off the attitude that they didn't care and told me that I should call NHTSA (which I did) if I wanted to complain. Based on the timing, frequency and content of notifications from MBUSA I project that it'll be well into 2020 before any substantive repairs take place. Interestingly I read the complete filing of the California class-action lawsuit that alleges MB is the worst of the manufacturers in airbag repair rates. It states that at the time of filing some mfrs were in the 50-70% range and MB was dead last at 2%. I can believe that based on my several conversations with MBUSA.

agp423 01-02-2019 09:11 AM

Haven't heard anything about this yet... For those who did not buy their C63 new - how were you contacted?

curt.r 01-02-2019 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by agp423 (Post 7643603)
Haven't heard anything about this yet... For those who did not buy their C63 new - how were you contacted?

I got a several letters in the mail for my 2011 C350 about the airbag recall. I haven't received one for my C63 yet.

Crya 01-02-2019 12:58 PM

I received a new letter just last week but haven’t called yet

m a x i m u s 01-02-2019 02:02 PM

I got a letter like bhamg did, and confirmed with MBUSA that it was sent in error. I then got another letter a few months ago saying parts would be available this March. We will have to wait and see if that letter was sent in error as well.

1Lop2K5C 01-02-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7643764)
I received a new letter just last week but haven’t called yet

I too got another letter last week. This letter looked to be in different format than the last, stating that my group and car is ready to perform the work. Will check with my SA this week.

bhamg 01-02-2019 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s (Post 7643821)
We will have to wait and see if that letter was "sent in error" as well. /S

Fixed it for you.

SatelliteMan 01-02-2019 10:00 PM

I've gotten 3 letters already. First one said go in. Second one said oops we didn't mean to send that. Third one just said sometime this year. I just hit a deer and my airbag didn't even go off...

Vladds 01-03-2019 07:14 AM

This may be good for you, that the potentially defective airbag didn't go off, but I would want to know if it not going off could be a malfunction.

IB Tim 01-03-2019 07:44 AM

So what happens if one of us get in a wreck and we actually need the airbag and it does not work or shoots pieces out at our passenger ?

Vladds 01-03-2019 09:17 AM

I second this question.
From a liability standpoint, does the existence of the recall discharge Mercedes of any liability, even if injuries happen while waiting for the recall implementation ?

Any legal professionals among us that would not mind sharing their thoughts ?

1Lop2K5C 01-03-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C (Post 7643850)
I too got another letter last week. This letter looked to be in different format than the last, stating that my group and car is ready to perform the work. Will check with my SA this week.

Got a reply from my SA this morning. My vin still shows a pending status in the system. Guess it is another false alarm. I'm wondering why are they keeping sending these things out if they are not ready to perform the work. Is it a liability thing?

SGT-PillzBury 01-04-2019 03:24 AM

I got a letter last year and called in and they said they don't have the parts. A local person with a Lexus had the same takata airbag recall and Lexus didn't replace it. Their daughter died in a car crash because the bag deployed and went off like a handmade grenade sending metal shards everywhere. Since then I have been scared and talked to the service manager. He said they won't have a replacement for some time because it is only common in humid states (I'm in Washington) and I told him about the Lexus incident... he went quiet and just looked at me. Hopefully MB can fix this problem

IB Tim 01-07-2019 04:20 PM

Given we cannot force nor get MB to actually fix this problem......how do we turn off the passenger side air bag...without getting the warning errors.
Everything on the net says you cannot

MBNRG 01-07-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by IB Tim (Post 7648268)
. . . how do we turn off the passenger side air bag...without getting the warning errors . . .

I believe simply disconnecting the sensor underneath the passenger seat will prevent passenger airbag deployment when a passenger is seated.
(This will trigger a warning light that cannot be erased by consumer OBD scanners and the like, unless sensor is reconnected.)

Can anyone with more experience (preferably tech level) confirm this, especially the first part?
I'd rather we as end users have an informed choice in the matter when it comes to a potentially fatal/explosive airbag situation.

CLKmak 01-07-2019 05:38 PM

I just received a letter for my wife's GLK that parts were in for her airbag recall. I called my local dealership and they said they will order the parts and call me back once they get in so I can schedule an appointment to actually bring the car in. It's not for the C63 but ... I'll keep you guys posted so you know if the airbag recall and fix is a myth or not.

tphss 01-07-2019 10:07 PM

I called MBUSA after getting an updated notice letter about two months ago. They informed that our cars are not on the first stage and the solution is not ready yet. They said they’ll send another notice once they have the airbags ready to replace.

bhamg 01-08-2019 05:22 PM

Just to show where the W204 C63 airbag recall stands compared to the industry at large:

NHTSA
November 8, 2018 | Washington, DC

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration met with federal and industry leaders today to discuss boosting recall repair rates for vehicles and safety equipment. Deputy Administrator Heidi R. King encouraged attendees to work together, and underscored concern about lower completion rates for older vehicles.

Vehicles that are 6 to 10 years old at the time of the recall average a 56% completion rate, compared to 76% for vehicles that are 1 to 5 years old, and 80% for vehicles under 3 years old, according to NHTSA.

IB Tim 01-08-2019 07:01 PM

I was thinking along those line and attempted to dig deep on fuse 8-15-37-77...all of witch are the passenger side....however I could not find out the ones that are for deployment trigger/voltage signal.

I agree this is by far the most intelligent and well mannered forum for MB there is....(not blowing smoke) I really know, and have a ton of experience seeing both good and bad.....so back to blowing smoke :)
yes this forum can tell us what fuse will do the trick....help MBWorld.

Originally Posted by MBNRG (Post 7648321)
I believe simply disconnecting the sensor underneath the passenger seat will prevent passenger airbag deployment when a passenger is seated.
(This will trigger a warning light that cannot be erased by consumer OBD scanners and the like, unless sensor is reconnected.)

Can anyone with more experience (preferably tech level) confirm this, especially the first part?
I'd rather we as end users have an informed choice in the matter when it comes to a potentially fatal/explosive airbag situation.

MBNRG 01-08-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by IB Tim (Post 7649273)
I was thinking along those line and attempted to dig deep on fuse 8-15-37-77...all of witch are the passenger side....however I could not find out the ones that are for deployment trigger/voltage signal.

was referring to the Airbag Seat Occupancy Sensor connector, which I believe is Yellow in photo below :y

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...mall/pic06.jpg

exhaustgases 01-08-2019 09:41 PM

From what I have read, most all the replacement inflaters are just new, made the same as the old and will some years down the road need replacement again. Please correct me if this is not true.
IMO those are incorrectly designed devices, and all the dangerous ones in cars now should be removed, a letter that says they don't have a replacement now, does nothing to address the potential danger.

Vladds 01-09-2019 06:47 AM

If true, this would suck. But the liability of installing with documented knowledge something that can kill your customer means that this is unlikely.
Unless we have to sign something when they get installed .......