MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Vibration at 70+ (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/731759-steering-wheel-vibration-70-a.html)

Black_Mercedes 01-02-2019 07:45 PM

Steering Wheel Vibration at 70+ ( FIXED )

Hey guys,

So this is an on going issue ive had for the past two years. Been hunting and trying to figure out whats causing the car's steering wheel and seats to shake. At 67 Mph
there's no signs of vibration as soon as it hits 69-70 steering wheel shakes and the passenger seat has a noticeable shake to it as well.

This last year i replaced
Engine Mounts & Transmission mounts about 3k miles ago
I just replaced the front rotors and pads.
Just installed new rear tires 50 miles ago
Front tires are still from when i got the car and had them re balanced about 14k miles on them ( Eagle LS2 ).
I'm about to buy new front tires because i've read many bad reviews on these tires. But before i throw more money away trying to fix this steering wheel shaking issue.

I asked discount tire to check if my rims are bent and they said they aren't but theirs a slight hop whatever that means. But not enough to cause shaking.

Is there anything else i should be looking at? I've tightened almost all suspension bolts and the bushings don't look bad the car has 72k miles on it now.

What should i take a look into flex discs do they go bad?

Should i just take it to Mercedes and get it diagnosed?

Thanks any input will help

G_Money 01-02-2019 08:11 PM

A slight hop? Is there a bubble in the tire or something?

Black_Mercedes 01-02-2019 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by G_Money (Post 7644148)
A slight hop? Is there a bubble in the tire or something?

No bubble in the side wall from the reviews i read on the eagle LS 2 tires im just going to buy some new front tires right now

i didn't understand what he said when he said slight hop he wasn't well informed

roadkillrob 01-02-2019 09:27 PM

The words slight hop and won't cause a vibration seem to conflict. I am guessing it means when you look at it on the balancer, it is in balance but moves up and down vertically as it rotates which with the cars weight on it probably means it won't have much affect, but in any case, eagle ls 2's are not very good tires, if they are worn then get rid of them.

Generally a vibration in the steering wheel is front tires seat vibration is the rears or driveline, but the fronts can also vibrate the seats. If you already did rotors then they are likely within spec for balance so I would have to think front tires if coming through the steering wheel.

If you are after the price point of the Eagles, the Pirelli P Zero Nero GT is a much better tire for the same price point.

Black_Mercedes 01-02-2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by roadkillrob (Post 7644208)
The words slight hop and won't cause a vibration seem to conflict. I am guessing it means when you look at it on the balancer, it is in balance but moves up and down vertically as it rotates which with the cars weight on it probably means it won't have much affect, but in any case, eagle ls 2's are not very good tires, if they are worn then get rid of them.

Generally a vibration in the steering wheel is front tires seat vibration is the rears or driveline, but the fronts can also vibrate the seats. If you already did rotors then they are likely within spec for balance so I would have to think front tires if coming through the steering wheel.

If you are after the price point of the Eagles, the Pirelli P Zero Nero GT is a much better tire for the same price point.

The Eagle ls2s came on the car when i bought it two years ago. They are still brand new. I just purchased a set of front tires to match my rears.
I will get them installed asap when they get here and update. I like driving the car but i don't drive it long distances because of the shaking and maybe because i get 8mpg.

Im going to remove all weights before i go to discount tire to get new tires installed and clean the rims.

America 01-03-2019 12:37 AM

Would say the slight hop is the issue. Either bad tires or bad wheel. With today's modern cars with thin sidewall tires, vibration happens more frequently. I have very sensitive hands and can pick up the slightest vibration or pull in my steering wheel. From by past cars, 8 Porsche 911, BMW 335i, 535i, 750i, MB C63, G55, Ghibli all the vibrations came from tires or wheels. All been fixable. Take your car to have a "Road Force" tire balance machine. If they can balance your wheels and tires then you have another issue but at least you can eliminate tires and wheels

Texas E63 01-03-2019 12:40 AM

how many miles on the car ? I had a vibration in the seat that was RPM dependent but turned out to be the Driveshaft couplers.
Road force is worth doing as well- I'm taking my car in Friday......

Black_Mercedes 01-03-2019 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Texas E63 (Post 7644340)
how many miles on the car ? I had a vibration in the seat that was RPM dependent but turned out to be the Driveshaft couplers.
Road force is worth doing as well- I'm taking my car in Friday......

72k i asked discount tire if they road forced balanced the tires they said yes.. But i doubt it

Funkwagen 01-03-2019 11:15 AM

Try a different tire shop for tire balancing. I've only had luck with two tire places where I live (out of trying more than 5) that can actually properly balance a tire, road force machine or not. Quality balancing machines are a plus, someone who knows how to actually use them/calibrate them is more important. I've also found some tire places have a kind of "good enough" attitude with balancing; "nobody is going to go that fast", so they're decently balanced up to certain speeds and no good after that.

Also, do you have aftermarket wheels? Sometimes the incorrect type of bolts are used (OEM ball seat on cone seat wheels, vice versa)

Do you run spacers?

Are the wheel bearings in good shape?

Yuille36 01-03-2019 11:26 AM

Are you rims possibly bent? I mean you've exhausted everything else.

Black_Mercedes 01-03-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Funkwagen (Post 7644567)
Try a different tire shop for tire balancing. I've only had luck with two tire places where I live (out of trying more than 5) that can actually properly balance a tire, road force machine or not. Quality balancing machines are a plus, someone who knows how to actually use them/calibrate them is more important. I've also found some tire places have a kind of "good enough" attitude with balancing; "nobody is going to go that fast", so they're decently balanced up to certain speeds and no good after that.

Also, do you have aftermarket wheels? Sometimes the incorrect type of bolts are used (OEM ball seat on cone seat wheels, vice versa)

Do you run spacers?

Are the wheel bearings in good shape?

I checked front wheel bearings for play many times solid as a rock. I will check rears today for play as well my new tires come tomorrow. I run stock rims and bolts no wheel spacers.

Black_Mercedes 01-03-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Yuille36 (Post 7644580)
Are you rims possibly bent? I mean you've exhausted everything else.

That's why every time i go i ask if my rims are bent and they say they aren't i wish i had a second set to try.

Would a worn flex disc cause vibrations at 70+ or at all speeds?

Funkwagen 01-03-2019 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Black_Mercedes (Post 7644603)
I checked front wheel bearings for play many times solid as a rock. I will check rears today for play as well my new tires come tomorrow. I run stock rims and bolts no wheel spacers.

Interesting. Well the issue definitely lies with the front wheels since you feel it most in the steering wheel. I looked up some reviews on your current tires and they don't review that well, including a few complaints of them losing their balance as they wear. If there's nothing wrong with the bearings, and the rims aren't out of round, I'd be looking at replacing the tires next

Black_Mercedes 01-03-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagen (Post 7644607)
Interesting. Well the issue definitely lies with the front wheels since you feel it most in the steering wheel. I looked up some reviews on your current tires and they don't review that well, including a few complaints of them losing their balance as they wear. If there's nothing wrong with the bearings, and the rims aren't out of round, I'd be looking at replacing the tires next

Yeah the tires came with the car when i got them mismatched front and rears. I've had them re balanced dozens of times. They said one front tire was out of balance by 2oz but still didn't fix anything.
My rears have been replaced with a different brand. I get my new front tires tomorrow not eagle ls2s

Thanks for the help

Texas E63 01-03-2019 12:31 PM

I doubt Discount tire is using a Hunter RF setup - they tend to use the 9200's...or best case an old 9700....

here's what you need - Hunter also has a locator

https://fastequipment.net/products/h...heel-balancer/

http://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite

deadlyvt 01-03-2019 01:26 PM

My car developed a vibration first past 90 mph then quickly it got lower until it was bad at 70 steering wheel vibration and noticeable interior vibration as well. Leading up to it a clunking sound could be heard from time to time going over certain bumps at certain angles . Was my passenger thrust arm.

qmciver 01-03-2019 09:50 PM

There’s a possibility you may the slightest flat spot in one or both of your front wheels. I have a spot in my Lexus that I need to have rolled out. It shows around 75ish too. I would thoroughly have a wheel special inspect them. Should be about a 100 bucks to heat roll the flat area out.

Black_Mercedes 01-05-2019 04:06 PM

Just had all new tires put on yesterday. Vibration is still there. But not as bad as before. Car now pulls to the right address after new front tires. Discount tire said my front tires had slight cupping on the inside. I kept my old front tires because they are still like new. I will check trust arms how would I check for play in them? I was going to replace front sway bar bushings. Because they aren't that much $$$.

deadlyvt 01-05-2019 04:55 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...93c703a4a.jpeg

Originally Posted by Black_Mercedes (Post 7646581)
Just had all new tires put on yesterday. Vibration is still there. But not as bad as before. Car now pulls to the right address after new front tires. Discount tire said my front tires had slight cupping on the inside. I kept my old front tires because they are still like new. I will check trust arms how would I check for play in them? I was going to replace front sway bar bushings. Because they aren't that much $$$.

this was my exact symptoms I only had a passenger side failure but yes inner tire cupped, and similar driving dynamics
to check jack up the car so the suspension can move easier then from under the car try applying movement to the suspension arms. The thrust arm is the front arm that mounts on the top in relation to the other arm. Found a picture with an arrow pointing the thrust arm out.

Black_Mercedes 01-05-2019 09:20 PM

Did u replace upper and lower or just the upper ones? I'll order a set I'll take a picture of mine on Monday I think I saw a slight crack but nothing bad. Maybe I'll take them off and check for play

deadlyvt 01-05-2019 11:19 PM

Just the thrust arms the rest where all right still although I haven’t replaced them yet just purchased them... I may end up purchasing new lowers as well while I am under there get it all refreshed

Black_Mercedes 01-06-2019 12:26 AM

Looking up part numbers are they the same as the w203s? It looks like all part number are all combined? I'll order a set tomorrow.

alenpepic 01-06-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Black_Mercedes (Post 7644131)
Hey guys,

So this is an on going issue ive had for the past two years. Been hunting and trying to figure out whats causing the car's steering wheel and seats to shake. At 67 Mph
there's no signs of vibration as soon as it hits 69-70 steering wheel shakes and the passenger seat has a noticeable shake to it as well.

This last year i replaced
Engine Mounts & Transmission mounts about 3k miles ago
I just replaced the front rotors and pads.
Just installed new rear tires 50 miles ago
Front tires are still from when i got the car and had them re balanced about 14k miles on them ( Eagle LS2 ).
I'm about to buy new front tires because i've read many bad reviews on these tires. But before i throw more money away trying to fix this steering wheel shaking issue.

I asked discount tire to check if my rims are bent and they said they aren't but theirs a slight hop whatever that means. But not enough to cause shaking.

Is there anything else i should be looking at? I've tightened almost all suspension bolts and the bushings don't look bad the car has 72k miles on it now.

What should i take a look into flex discs do they go bad?

Should i just take it to Mercedes and get it diagnosed?

Thanks any input will help

your hub is rusted most likely and the rim can’t catch to the surface perfectly. Get sand paper or a wire brush clean it

Black_Mercedes 01-06-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by alenpepic (Post 7647058)

your hub is rusted most likely and the rim can’t catch to the surface perfectly. Get sand paper or a wire brush clean it

I did this when I replaced the front rotors a week or two ago but thanks for the advice

95viper 01-07-2019 11:55 AM

Any chance that someone installed the camber/caster bolts and did not correctly seat both tabs in the slots?

The pic above shows the thrust arm affecting caster. The camber arm is at 6 o’clock position. Are these oem or the Mercedes camber/caster bolts? If they are there is a line on the bolt head and it needs be to in line with the arms.

Just a thought.