MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   C63 Lightweight and N/A Power Build vlog (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/732615-c63-lightweight-n-power-build-vlog.html)

The Extra Mile 04-01-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fhast (Post 7719103)
Where did you order your hood from? Been looking for a reliable source. Nice thread by the way!

I ordere a Boca Carbon hood that has the Edition 507/Black Series vents, which is exactly the one I wanted. I actually was not too sure about the looks of the vents at first, but getting a bit of hot air out of the engine bay is actually quite a good idea for this car.

I ordered this exact hood: https://www.cf-dynamics.de/boca-carb...-amg-w204.html

The vendor is located in germany though, so I don´t know if that will be of much use to you.

Can´t wait to install it!!

The Extra Mile 04-01-2019 02:54 PM

Alright another Monday and I have a new update for you guys!

This week I have installed a rear strut bar and cleaned up the tailpipes! I guess that they have not been cleaned since the car was bought since it took me HOURS of polishing to get them clean again, but the result is definitely worth it.

Did a quick test drive after I installed the strut bar and the slight creaking that I heard sometimes is almost gone. Not completely yet, but it´s a very noticeable difference. It also feels like the rear end is a bit more… uhm stable I would say. Maybe that is not the right word, it´s really hard to describe the effect but I think (might be placebo) that there was a difference.

I had hoped to install the front and rear strut bar together to make a possible difference in handling more noticeable, but the front bar has not arrived yet.

Anyway, here is the episode of the install:

Next week I will install a new carbon fibre part for the center console (the one I have is plastic and has some visibly worn down parts) and hopefully the front strut bar.

See you guys next week!

Fhast 04-01-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Extra Mile (Post 7720825)
I ordere a Boca Carbon hood that has the Edition 507/Black Series vents, which is exactly the one I wanted. I actually was not too sure about the looks of the vents at first, but getting a bit of hot air out of the engine bay is actually quite a good idea for this car.

I ordered this exact hood: https://www.cf-dynamics.de/boca-carb...-amg-w204.html

The vendor is located in germany though, so I don´t know if that will be of much use to you.

Can´t wait to install it!!

I'm actually waiting for them to respond back after sending them my complete address. They are open to shipping to the US! Really good deal too compared to other vendors and hard to find some that make them for prefacelift now n days

BLKROKT 04-01-2019 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fhast (Post 7720898)
I'm actually waiting for them to respond back after sending them my complete address. They are open to shipping to the US! Really good deal too compared to other vendors and hard to find some that make them for prefacelift now n days

Before you get your hopes up, I was quoted 550EUR to ship to NYC back in early 2018.

mr747 04-01-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Extra Mile (Post 7714899)
Another Monday and I have a new update for you guys!

Quite a lot of stuff has been done today!

I removed the rear airbags, seatbelts, sunshade and the big speaker on the rear deck! Would have needed 12.5 kg of savings to break through the 50 kg barrier, but I just landed short of that with 11.7 kg.

Still very happy with the progress though, I now have saved 49.2 kg (108.5 lbs) total, and apart from the rear seat most of that is just small stuff that has been removed.

The big ticket items (sunroof, carbon hood and especially seats!!) are still to come! I am now very confident that I will reach my minimum target of 100 kg and I might even get to the 150+ kg that I dreamed of when I first started this.

Next monday I will remove the speakers from the doors and the rear electric window motors which will be the last "small" parts that I can remove. The rest of the weight saving will have to come from replacing parts.

Speaking of replacing parts, has anyone here saved any weight by installing a different suspension? I would like to go aftermarket anyway since I would like to lower the car just a little bit (maybe half an inch) and the stock P30 setup is a tad too firm for my taste. So I was hoping that I could maybe save another 1.5 kg per corner at least?

I also have ordered front and rear strut braces which will come in handy to give the chassis some extra rigidity.

Anyway, here is today´s episode, see you guys in a week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dnaQURZ-kE

DO you have any error codes removing the rear airbags?

What did you do to get around it?

Fhast 04-01-2019 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7720945)
Before you get your hopes up, I was quoted 550EUR to ship to NYC back in early 2018.

Thats actually really good. Was it for the fiberglass base hood?

BLKROKT 04-02-2019 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fhast (Post 7721290)
Thats actually really good. Was it for the fiberglass base hood?

Good? 550EUR was the SHIPPING quote. SHIPPING alone. The carbon hood was 890 EUR, so 1440EUR shipped.

Fhast 04-02-2019 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7721305)
Good? 550EUR was the SHIPPING quote. SHIPPING alone. The carbon hood was 890 EUR, so 1440EUR shipped.

Gotcha read that wrong. I'm not sure cause they have two different models, but they offered me $1200 EUR net for the hood with shipping included for the carbon/kevlar. Every where I've looked the prices are higher or non reliable source for fitment, etc.

The Extra Mile 04-05-2019 06:25 AM

I did get some error codes, but could get rid of them by bridging the connector with a staple so the car "thinks" that they are still connected.

BLKROKT 04-05-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Extra Mile (Post 7724277)
I did get some error codes, but could get rid of them by bridging the connector with a staple so the car "thinks" that they are still connected.

Thats a terrible idea BTW, but it’s your car so whatever. Why not just figure out the proper resistance and put a resistor there instead? That way, instead of hiding error codes, the system is more likely to work at all because it sees the proper resistance and thinks the bags are still there. I’ve got a $5 10-pack of 10W 3.3Ohm resistors that are going in and should do it

The Extra Mile 04-08-2019 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=BLKROKT;7724491]Thats a terrible idea BTW, but it’s your car so whatever. Why not just figure out the proper resistance and put a resistor there instead? That way, instead of hiding error codes, the system is more likely to work at all because it sees the proper resistance and thinks the bags are still there. I’ve got a $5 10-pack of 10W 3.3Ohm resistors that are going in and should do it[/QUOTE

I see your point, but how would the result be any different?

The Extra Mile 04-08-2019 08:55 AM

A new week and I have a new update for you guys!

This time I show off the new front strut bar and install a new carbon fibre piece in the center console to replace a worn and kind of cheap looking plastic piece.

I will also upload a seperate video this week about the changes in handling with the two strut bars installed, which is actually quite significant and interesting! I hope to get that out on wednesday and will post a link here when it´s ready. There are three major areas where I felt a clear difference with the strutbars: Steering feel, general stabilty (how true the car tracks over bumps and at higher speeds on the autobahn for example) and predictability (oversteer and general cornering has gotten more predictable and solid). More details will follow in the video!

The carbon fibre piece for the center console is a really, really nice upgrade to the interieur, and I already enjoy looking at it a lot haha. Install was very quick and done in a few minutes.

You can check out the details here:

See you guys on wednesday when I upload the strut bar episode!

The Extra Mile 04-11-2019 12:55 PM

Hey guys!

Just uploaded the episode about the front and rear strut bars and the changes that came with them.

It definitely is a great addition to any car, especially if you like to drive quickly or track the car.

The Extra Mile 04-17-2019 06:58 AM

Hey guys!

I have a new update for you, the carbon fibre hood is here and installed! Funny little story about that, the vendor called me up and said that they didn´t actually have the carbon/fiberglass hood in stock anymore. They made a mistake when they sold it to me. So they gave me two options, either get one from a showcar that is slightly used, or pay 200 more and get the full carbon hood! Obviously I chose the later and now I have a very light full carbon hood for 1100 EUR which usually sells for 2800!

Really happy with that and also really happy with the weight savings!

Next big step will be replacing the front seats, which will save a huge amount of weight. Currently in the process of ordering them, I hope that they will arrive early next week!

See you in the next update guys!

Alex

Crya 04-17-2019 08:46 AM

Love the hood. Awesome deal the vendor gave you on a full dry cf unit. Lucky!

The Extra Mile 04-17-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Crya (Post 7734100)
Love the hood. Awesome deal the vendor gave you on a full dry cf unit. Lucky!

Yeah I am really, really happy with that deal as well!

brad65ford 07-11-2019 02:46 PM

Just saw your youtube channel. I'm assuming you already did this but if you didn't please share a link of your video of Battery / Spare tire weight savings. This is something I want to look into especially a light weight battery.

The Extra Mile 05-18-2021 04:20 AM

Hey guys!!

I wanted to post a long overdue update on the build which is still going strong!

The latest round of mods really make the whole project come together.

There is still a lot of things on the wishlist, some attainable, others probably won´t happen but I will keep dreaming!

Anyway, here is the video which goes over the latest mods, the surprise here is the halfcage and the difference it made to the handling:

hachiroku 05-18-2021 05:42 AM

wowww....LOVE THE SEATS AND STEERING WHEEL! do the electronics work as well? I read someone mentioned there is a button emulator that is purchasable but nobody seems to want to share where to purchase this.

The Extra Mile 05-18-2021 06:48 AM

Hey there! Yes the electronics do work! The extra functions that the w204 had do not though (mostly just the cruise control buttons) but I can swipe through the menus, accept a call etc.

I am not sure what the shop had to do to get it to work, but from what I heard it wasn´t a huge deal.

The new seats and the wheel make the interior feel much, much more modern and expensive.

DRBC43AMG 05-18-2021 11:25 AM

Just found this thread on here, but have been following your videos on YT. Keep things going and updates also.

sventastic82 05-18-2021 11:30 AM

What does the TÜV say about all the mods?
I have a hard time thinking that the carbon fiber hood really saves that much weight considering the OEM is Aluminum. I thought of going with a CF trunk instead.

How much did the battery cost? That thing is super fancy.

Jasonoff 05-18-2021 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by sventastic82 (Post 8338542)
I have a hard time thinking that the carbon fiber hood really saves that much weight considering the OEM is Aluminum..

Only the FL hood is aluminum. Mine is heavy AF

The Extra Mile 05-19-2021 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by sventastic82 (Post 8338542)
What does the TÜV say about all the mods?
I have a hard time thinking that the carbon fiber hood really saves that much weight considering the OEM is Aluminum. I thought of going with a CF trunk instead.

How much did the battery cost? That thing is super fancy.

Hey there! Yeah TÜV is still a small issue, but I am looking into some ways to solve that.

The OEM hood is actually steel in 09 and weighs a ****ton, about 24 KG to be exact. The carbon hood barely weighs 4 KG so the hood alone saves about 20 KG in a pretty important place.

Thought about the CF trunk too, but in that case I thought the weight saving would be minimal. Not sure though.

Oh and about the battery, it was pretty expensive, about 1800 EUR. You can check the manufacturer´s website here: https://en.liteblox.de/

blurred 05-19-2021 09:46 AM

I'm guessing those are the Pole Position ABE seats for the TUV approvals. I had the ABE version of the PP in one of my cars and it is supremely comfortable for a well bolstered fixed back seat. Good choice on using the aluminium brackets as well, lots of weight savings there.