MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   ESP on, Sport, ESP off, rolling road (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/735358-esp-sport-esp-off-rolling-road.html)

James_ 02-08-2019 02:51 PM

ESP on, Sport, ESP off, rolling road

I've owned a 2010 C63 saloon for about 4 months now, and i'm really enjoying getting to know the car, it's genuinely a treat to get behind the wheel.

As I bought it coming into winter, it has been a little frustrating as the weather has deteriorated, meaning I can't explore its upper limits even remotely. And I did have a 'bit of a moment' the other day on a cold greasy back road with ESP off (I know, not advisable) and was lucky to get away with it.

It got me thinking how safe the car would be with ESP untouched, could you literally floor it going round a bend and it would just keep to the line? (under duress as it brakes wheels and retards etc) or can it still get messy with full ESP on? Rather than test it on the road, I thught I'd be sensible, for once, and ask :)

cheers

Funkwagen 02-08-2019 03:30 PM

Does your car have the p30 performance pack with the LSD?

ESP can only do so much with an open diff before it throws in the towel and basically cuts throttle or gives up trying to brake the wheel with the least amount of traction

James_ 02-08-2019 03:36 PM

No I don't, no LSD or PPack.
So the cars decision process is > try braking the wheels that are slipping > if that doesnt work retard the engine back. Is that right?

MTV10 02-08-2019 07:53 PM

Just cruise ESP off at all times

James_ 02-08-2019 08:07 PM

Haha... that was the plan. But my idiotic streak is greater than my driving skill. At least it is when the roads are as wet as they are at the minute

chrisridebike8 02-08-2019 11:13 PM

In the cold on summer tires, ESP sometimes can’t keep up, especially if it’s damp. The car can snap and then ESP will reel it back in. Don’t rely on ESP.

James_ 02-09-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7676802)
In the cold on summer tires, ESP sometimes can’t keep up, especially if it’s damp. The car can snap and then ESP will reel it back in. Don’t rely on ESP.

thanks, thats good to know. I mean it’s not my intention to do everything I can to make the car slip up, it’s just not practical to find out how things react for myself at the minute. I think it was just so undramatic and fast, earlier this week when the back properly came round on me, that I’ve felt the need to learn a bit more :)

AMG6.3 02-09-2019 09:21 PM

When cold just keep traction control on. I like driving it in Sport it allows for wheels to spin but keeps car in line.

If drifting is your thing traction off

AMG6.3 02-09-2019 09:24 PM

I just replaced my rear tires they were shot, in the rain on the highway it would make my ass pucker.

Even in in the cold I could blow tires off going 60 mph. Needless to say new tires much better. Enjoy

James_ 02-10-2019 05:48 PM

Yeah I agree, I’ll keep the ESP on during the rubbish weather and not tempt fate. My rears aren’t the freshest either, I’d rather see a flickering triangle on the dash than be guessing if I’m going to have any traction or not 😆