MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Steering Column Adjustment Failure (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/736400-steering-column-adjustment-failure.html)

Big Jimbo 02-19-2019 07:14 PM

Steering Column Adjustment Failure

My steering column now just makes a single click like a solenoid when I hit the up or down switch but doesn't move. The in and out function still works. I found an old thread about a broken cable for the in and out, but I suppose the same thing might have happened to my up and down.
I am hoping against hope that someone may have a suggestion before I am faced with the ugly prospect of removing the column like it says in the shop manual. I wish I liked the position it is now stuck in, so I could just ignore it, but it is too high.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! My car is a 2012 coupe.
Jim

m a x i m u s 02-20-2019 03:59 AM

I remember seeing a post directing to a video for a DIY. Can't remember if it entailed column removal, though.

Junaidh 02-20-2019 09:15 AM

I had this issue, but I was able to fix mine by following this thread and doing this

If you hear a click or thump and it doesn't move, it's probably jammed up. You need to free it, extend it all the way out and hit it downward with your hand, very firmly (don't be afraid of it), while pressing the lever to adjust it down. It should free up.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...up-down-2.html

pjfernan 02-23-2019 10:07 AM

Fix the up / down movement

I just unplugged and plug back the wiring connector from the left module located under the drivers seat and fixed the steering up / down movement.
As soon as I plugged it back and pressed the lever I can hear the motor and with a couple of hard poundings to the steering wheel it started to work again.
It stop working a long time ago and was in the up position.
The service department at the local dealer told me that the motor has to be replaced.
If you have the same problem, give it a try because it work for me.

Big Jimbo 02-23-2019 10:50 AM

Thanks! I tried the pounding and it didn't work, this weekend I will have more time and will try unplugging the module. I really appreciate the advice and will let you know what happens!

Big Jimbo 04-26-2019 09:07 PM

I finally got my Column to adjust up and down! I have been beating on it regularly with no success but tried my MBII scanner and found the steering column option and it also had some type of recalibration option. I tried this while beating on it and a miracle happened, the column started to move down and now works fine! I was almost ready to bring it to the dealer for a check-up but glad I tried this first. I had no idea the scanner would cover the steering column too.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7f960e85e0.jpg
I finally got the column to adjust up and down! I have been beating on it with no luck so I attached my MBII scanner and actually found the steering column to scan!

Murret 04-26-2019 10:56 PM

Mine stopped working and I put my head under the steering wheel and used some pliers to turn the threaded part and it freed it up and I just sprayed some lube on it. Happened a couple of times now because It doesnt get adjusted often.

Subarix 04-27-2019 04:29 AM

My exprience as I had a similar issue : try to move it up or down and nothing happened except a click noise. Don’t smile and this is not a joke but I decided to force on the command by insisting (like 10 sec) and it unlocked itself. I hope you will be as lucky as me.

G_Money 04-27-2019 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo (Post 7742729)
I finally got my Column to adjust up and down! I have been beating on it regularly with no success but tried my MBII scanner and found the steering column option and it also had some type of recalibration option. I tried this while beating on it and a miracle happened, the column started to move down and now works fine! I was almost ready to bring it to the dealer for a check-up but glad I tried this first. I had no idea the scanner would cover the steering column too.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7f960e85e0.jpg
I finally got the column to adjust up and down! I have been beating on it with no luck so I attached my MBII scanner and actually found the steering column to scan!

I wouldn't count on that working too many more times

Big Jimbo 04-27-2019 10:40 AM

I turned off the movement when you exit the car and don't adjust it much so hopefully it will be ok. What is the long term fix, replacing the motor?

Mort 04-27-2019 01:02 PM

There is a nut on the flex shaft from the motor to the column adjuster on the steering column end. The flex shaft turning must tighten the nut up until the motor no longer has enough power to turn the flex shaft. Back the nut off a turn or two and you should be back in business. That is what worked for me and I posted a thread about it quite a while ago. If the nut is too tight, I think you may risk breaking the flex shaft as has happened in some instances. Then you will need to replace the flex shaft with a new one.

Big Jimbo 04-27-2019 01:36 PM

Thanks! I searched all the old column problem articles but missed yours. I will have to check that out.

toosteeley 04-29-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 7743058)
There is a nut on the flex shaft from the motor to the column adjuster on the steering column end. The flex shaft turning must tighten the nut up until the motor no longer has enough power to turn the flex shaft. Back the nut off a turn or two and you should be back in business. That is what worked for me and I posted a thread about it quite a while ago. If the nut is too tight, I think you may risk breaking the flex shaft as has happened in some instances. Then you will need to replace the flex shaft with a new one.

^This. Happen to mine a few months ago and loosing the nut off worked like a charm.

Big Jimbo 04-29-2019 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 7743058)

What do you have to take apart on the Column to get at the flex shat nut?

gmaschine 04-29-2019 05:14 PM

I was having the same issue and then I realized it was "preset" in the steering/seat memory. I just cleared it and now it works fine. This might work for you but I cannot guarantee it.

Adi-Benz 04-29-2019 10:44 PM

If you need to remove the column to remove the motor, follow instructions for W204 ESL repair.

Overall it's not a difficult process.

Remove bottom panel and you can check the plugs and actually see the motors.

toosteeley 04-30-2019 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Jimbo (Post 7744520)
What do you have to take apart on the Column to get at the flex shat nut?

Nothing. You just need to be a bit flexible to get your head down under the steering wheel so you can see the nut. There's a few threads about it.