C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a normal headers sound or a leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 05:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Is this a normal headers sound or a leak?

Hi everyone,

I installed VRP headers and had a fluttering sound (feels like a card flapping inside a metal tube or something like that.. I dunno how to describe it but my ears say it sounds like an exhaust leak, check attached video). Some say it’s gases flowing through headers but I had Friedrick Motorsport headers in the past in my previous car and it didn’t have this sound. Sound is very noticeable at low rpm (1.5k through 3k). At full throttle you really can’t hear it because the headers + exhaust is loud. I can hear it from inside the cabin but I can’t hear it if I pop the hood

I took it to an exhaust guy and he said no leaks (frankly he just used “the hose” to try to listen for leaks briefly). I had a buddy help me the first but he used the VRP gasket so I thought it was the issue. I took it off myself and replaced it with OEM, same issue. The sound is coming more towards the driver side. Can any confirm if they got this sound on their headers? I’m thinking of doing a smoke test next. No check engine light.

Current setup: RoW boxes + OE Tuning + VRP headers -> stock resonator and mufflers.

P. S. The warnings on the dash are because of the broken clock spring. I’ll need to order the correct part sook and reprogram it.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (7.14 MB, 282 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_9344.MOV (10.11 MB, 247 views)
Old 10-10-2021, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG
Sounds pretty normal to me or I have an exhaust leak as well. I’ve triple checked mine over the last couple of thousands of miles and I still don’t see any markings of exhaust leak. Exhaust leak will be very noticeable after a couple hundred miles to say the least. Goodluck.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Could you post another clip with the car running? Mine havee the original headers and make a similar noise. I drove another 3 C63 and only one madee the same noise.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:34 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
lol....yes sounds like an exhaust leak....

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 10-21-2021, 06:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Thanks Slow_c63 I think you and I have the same exhaust leak lol. I do notice it and took the car for a 500 miles trip in total, it was obvious.

lux_br, both clips are while driving. I don't think it should make the sound. I had headers on my previous C63 and ran the same exhaust setup, no sound like this whatsoever. It was pretty clean.

hachiroku, I agree. I found one near the resonator and fixed it but the sound clip is from after fixing it. I have no option but to smoke test it at this point. I'll let you know what I find but I'm hoping someone with VRP headers share clips from inside the cabin to see if they have the same sound or not.
The following users liked this post:
lux_br (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 268 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I have vrp headers and no sound like that although mine is quite loud now I have been meaning to take a vid or two
but no sound like that from inside on mine
Old 10-22-2021, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG
@xKryptonite I’m getting mine back on the road today. I’ll have to listen more carefully. We did not spot any exhaust leaks this time around either.

It’s hard to tell with the MBH setup to the mufflers. It just sounds rowdy.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:21 AM

vw touareg
Really sorry to bring this thread back up, but did you find a solution in the end? Mine is making this exact noise at the moment and I couldn't find any information about it. I was on OEM headers and exhaust when it first started making this noise - fluttering / tapping noise that is louder on driver side and can only be heard in the cabin. Thought it would be an exhaust leak so I replaced header gasket but the noise is still there. I then swapped the OEM header for a custom made one which then made the noise even louder​​​​​​​
Old 11-30-2023, 04:46 AM

C63 AMG
Hi, I replaced the headers gasket (and bolts) and got much better, also replaced the PCV VALVE, because a whistle when idling.
I still can hear the noise, but much lower now.

Originally Posted by stevdroid
Really sorry to bring this thread back up, but did you find a solution in the end? Mine is making this exact noise at the moment and I couldn't find any information about it. I was on OEM headers and exhaust when it first started making this noise - fluttering / tapping noise that is louder on driver side and can only be heard in the cabin. Thought it would be an exhaust leak so I replaced header gasket but the noise is still there. I then swapped the OEM header for a custom made one which then made the noise even louder
Old 01-24-2024, 07:49 PM

c63s
Any fix?

Originally Posted by lux_br
Hi, I replaced the headers gasket (and bolts) and got much better, also replaced the PCV VALVE, because a whistle when idling.
I still can hear the noise, but much lower now.
think I’m going thru the same 2017 c63 , codes bright up exhaust leaks & catylic convertors.