MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Throttle tip in hesitation? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/589034-throttle-tip-hesitation.html)

houstonT 06-11-2015 10:58 AM

Throttle tip in hesitation?

I've noticed that at times, when coming to an intersection and slowing down, the car has a tip in hesitation. It seems to happen as I'm slowing, the car likely thinks i'm coming to a complete stop, and then i give her throttle and there is a 1-2 second hesitation as she gets into gear. I read about this tip in issue in one of the reviews as well, curious if any of your have experienced this issue as well?
Peter

houstonT 06-11-2015 10:59 AM

Here is the article, under "how does it drive"

http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...s-drive-review

amanuuh 06-11-2015 11:18 AM

yeah it happens to me but only in sport. I don't have the issue in comfort or sports plus. Its kinda weird cause to me it seems like thats something that would happen in comfort lol

houstonT 06-11-2015 12:05 PM

Yea, i've noticed it in all settings (including comfort). Like you, I thought that in SPORT it would go away, but it didn't. It doesn't do it all the time, but once, it caught me off guard as I was turning onto another street and traffic was coming quickly and for a second it scared the crap outta me that i'd get rear ended. Hesitated for 3-4 seconds.......
Peter

JPMBenz 06-11-2015 01:18 PM

Part of this is normal. The MCT is designed to work that way.

Cicio 06-11-2015 01:26 PM

Noticed the same thing but I have just chalked it up to a little personality trait of the tranny.

Honestly even my E63 had this little "glitch" to some extent.

Ezec63 06-11-2015 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by houstonT (Post 6461870)
Yea, i've noticed it in all settings (including comfort). Like you, I thought that in SPORT it would go away, but it didn't. It doesn't do it all the time, but once, it caught me off guard as I was turning onto another street and traffic was coming quickly and for a second it scared the crap outta me that i'd get rear ended. Hesitated for 3-4 seconds.......
Peter

It's completely normal happens to me on my w204 c63 with the MCT. The mct uses a wet startup clutch in place of the torque converter. So in times like what your describing it probably has the clutch disengaged to coast to stop then when you give it throttle the clutch has to engage before any power can be sent out back. In a torque converter you won't feel this as its super smooth but the mct is still smoother then a DCT which is very grabby and surges with stop and go type of driving.

MB Dave 06-11-2015 01:53 PM

its normal, the computers is sorting out when to engage the clutch for the smoothest response.

houstonT 06-11-2015 04:25 PM

Yea I hear ya guys.....still can be dangerous if you're not expecting it.
Peter

AV1 06-11-2015 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ezec63 (Post 6461976)
It's completely normal happens to me on my w204 c63 with the MCT. The mct uses a wet startup clutch in place of the torque converter. So in times like what your describing it probably has the clutch disengaged to coast to stop then when you give it throttle the clutch has to engage before any power can be sent out back. In a torque converter you won't feel this as its super smooth but the mct is still smoother then a DCT which is very grabby and surges with stop and go type of driving.

Hmmm, curious as this happens on all 'X'Gtronic transmissions across the board not just on the wet clutch set up MCT's and has always been an inherent trait, past models are worse than current or newer models the older 5GTtronic was terrible in this regard, it seems MB is slowly "fixing" this issue with each newer release.

I've got a TCU tune on my regular 7GTronic and its almost but not quite fixed this problem, from my experience with the MCT equipped cars sport + mode seems to be the best in all round responsiveness.

zibby43 06-12-2015 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 6462618)
. . . from my experience with the MCT equipped cars sport + mode seems to be the best in all round responsiveness.

+1

S+ for the win (as far as the auto modes are concerned).

JB C63S 06-12-2015 05:39 PM

Saying this is normal is like saying cancer is normal. I still dont want it. Sounds like it may be overly catious driveline protection, unfortunately.

AMGFTMFW 06-14-2015 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by JPMBenz (Post 6461944)
Part of this is normal. The MCT is designed to work that way.

They still haven't addressed this issue? :nix:

AV1 06-14-2015 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by JB C63S (Post 6463500)
Sounds like it may be overly catious driveline protection, unfortunately.

I think that's exactly what it is...

MB have always been about luxury, refinement, smoothness, reliability, longevity, safety etc.

However the sport side (AMG) is slowly with each new release becoming more and more true sports orientated, as reviews and owners have stated on this issue it's still there but improved from previous models.

PeterUbers 06-14-2015 11:14 PM

Still haven't addressed this issue ... "Normal" but annoying

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-mct-e63s.html

PeterUbers 06-14-2015 11:17 PM

Saying this is normal is like saying cancer is normal. I still dont want it. Sounds like it may be overly catious driveline protection, unfortunately.

+1000 a handful of owners making excuses for a clear negative drive trait of their cars ... This topic is well discussed and lamented in the amg private Louge

MB Dave 06-15-2015 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 6465241)
I think that's exactly what it is...

MB have always been about luxury, refinement, smoothness, reliability, longevity, safety etc.

However the sport side (AMG) is slowly with each new release becoming more and more true sports orientated, as reviews and owners have stated on this issue it's still there but improved from previous models.

reliability and longevity :rolf::rolf:, are we talking about the same car?

Will617 06-15-2015 08:31 AM

Poor comparison.

JPMBenz 06-15-2015 09:20 AM

I counted this weekend; it's a 2 second delay in either C or S mode. S+ it's pretty much instant.

PeterUbers 06-16-2015 09:12 PM

How's the quick stop and immediate go for you players in the c63s... Is there any bucking or hesitation when quickly coming to a 5mph or slower roll and then immediately jumping back on the throttle?

AV1 06-16-2015 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by MB Dave (Post 6465339)
reliability and longevity :rolf::rolf:, are we talking about the same car?

True that but what they're trying to achieve or have and the end result are different things :)

AV1 06-16-2015 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by JPMBenz (Post 6465542)
I counted this weekend; it's a 2 second delay in either C or S mode. S+ it's pretty much instant.

A whole 2 seconds :confused: that's got to be worse than the old 5GTronic on a regular MB and just crazy for a new model C63 :nix: is it that bad ??

The brand new regular C250 W205 I had for several weeks not long ago has the trade mark delay but did not seem like a full 2 seconds worth, hopefully MB eventually eradicate it at least on AMG models.

JPMBenz 06-16-2015 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6467484)
How's the quick stop and immediate go for you players in the c63s... Is there any bucking or hesitation when quickly coming to a 5mph or slower roll and then immediately jumping back on the throttle?

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 6467565)
A whole 2 seconds :confused: that's got to be worse than the old 5GTronic on a regular MB and just crazy for a new model C63 :nix: is it that bad ??

The brand new regular C250 W205 I had for several weeks not long ago has the trade mark delay but did not seem like a full 2 seconds worth, hopefully MB eventually eradicate it at least on AMG models.

About a 2 second delay which is the same on the E63. I drove one today.

PeterUbers 06-16-2015 11:29 PM

Once we get a dct this should all get better

Jones2012S4 06-17-2015 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6467641)
Once we get a dct this should all get better

Not necessarily,

The DSG on the S4(2009-2012) has a minor issue when coming to a rolling stop. When you depressed the throttle to pull away around 5-10 mph sometimes the transmission did not have a gear engaged, it would hang then BAM engage 2nd gear and the car would sometimes jump.

Scary the first time it happens, but you learned to drive around it.

TCU tunes later released by GIAC mitigated this issue to be almost non existent. This leads me to believe it is largely a programming issue rather than a mechanical design issue.