MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Nitpick but unhappy with the AMG Exhaust tips... (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/604801-nitpick-but-unhappy-amg-exhaust-tips.html)

michaelpsmith 11-03-2015 10:02 AM

Nitpick but unhappy with the AMG Exhaust tips...

I know that this is a nitpick - but it seems very lame to me to have the single round exhaust pipe - followed by a gap and not even connected to the AMG exhaust tips.

I absolutely love the car but this small detail kind of irks me...

Anyone else bugged by this?

bra10j 11-03-2015 10:10 AM

I'm not terribly upset by it really. I think the designers wanted the tail pipes to remain in exactly the same place all the time and without having to leave room for movement for heat expansion and general movement on the mounting rubbers. I think the resultant design works and is a tidy solution. It also means no burned/scorched paintwork.

michaelpsmith 11-03-2015 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bra10j (Post 6603181)
I'm not terribly upset by it really. I think the designers wanted the tail pipes to remain in exactly the same place all the time and without having to leave room for movement for heat expansion and general movement on the mounting rubbers. I think the resultant design works and is a tidy solution. It also means no burned/scorched paintwork.

You do have a point about the lack of smudges, carbon and deposits on paint...as well as heat and expansion as well.

I am just used to see exhaust tips connected to the exhaust pipes and not floating...

bra10j 11-03-2015 10:15 AM

I agree, it does break with the norm but as a design it's pretty clever and will hopefully stand the test of time without showing signs of wear on the rear bumper.

JPMBenz 11-03-2015 11:59 AM

It's also cheaper in a rear end collision to replace 2 sets of tips rather than a whole exhaust.

JPetros2008 11-03-2015 06:17 PM

This is actually the norm now for most sports cars i think and has been for a good few years now among most manufacturers.

AV1 11-03-2015 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by michaelpsmith (Post 6603171)
I know that this is a nitpick - but it seems very lame to me to have the single round exhaust pipe - followed by a gap and not even connected to the AMG exhaust tips.

This has been brought up before in other threads.

It is a personal opinion subject.

Not sure if your aware or not but it's the way it's been done on lots of other high end vehicles these days that are far more expensive than AMG's so there's valid and logical reasons as to why it is the case.

Personally I think it is the better way to go, my reasons in favour for detached tips (other than OEM reasons) are it reduces wear and tear and deterioration of the tips and are much easier to keep clean, it eliminates the awful appearance when tips expand and stick out way to far when they heat up, this is especially prevalent on after market exhausts using 304 stainless steel which has huge movements with heat changes and along with this detached tips always look perfectly aligned, positioned and symmetrical from side to side, unlike 'stuck on' tips which are sometimes miss-aligned even from factory.

Appearance wise in the case of the 205 C63 they do a good job in hiding the detached exhaust pipe, in other (cheaper) car types eg. a Suzuki Kizashi the detached exhaust pipe is very visible making for a not so appealing end result.

michaelpsmith 11-03-2015 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 6603825)
This has been brought up before in other threads.

It is a personal opinion subject.

Not sure if your aware or not but it's the way it's been done on lots of other high end vehicles these days that are far more expensive than AMG's so there's valid and logical reasons as to why it is the case.

Personally I think it is the better way to go, my reasons in favour for detached tips (other than OEM reasons) are it reduces wear and tear and deterioration of the tips and are much easier to keep clean, it eliminates the awful appearance when tips expand and stick out way to far when they heat up, this is especially prevalent on after market exhausts using 304 stainless steel which has huge movements with heat changes and along with this detached tips always look perfectly aligned, positioned and symmetrical from side to side, unlike 'stuck on' tips which are sometimes miss-aligned even from factory.

Appearance wise in the case of the 205 C63 they do a good job in hiding the detached exhaust pipe, in other (cheaper) car types eg. a Suzuki Kizashi the detached exhaust pipe is very visible making for a not so appealing end result.

You have a point with the cleaning. I used to have to clean my C7s exhaust tips almost weekly...

kfehling 11-03-2015 10:37 PM

Totally bugs me and looks cheap.

AV1 11-04-2015 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by michaelpsmith (Post 6603918)
You have a point with the cleaning. I used to have to clean my C7s exhaust tips almost weekly...

That totally bugs me on all of my vehicles, I have both OEM and aftermarket (high end aftermarket that is) all have attached tips and hate how much effort it takes to keep them clean and from dis-colouring and the occasional straightening out as I mentioned earlier as over time the pipe distorts and makes the tip/s look out of whack, when that happens that's when it looks cheap and nasty :(

I'm absolutely looking forward to my first vehicle with detached tips when I acquire one of the new C205 C63's :)

kimeran 11-04-2015 07:22 AM

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE those fake exhaust tips!
I went on a breakfast run a while back and got to see the W205 C63 up close for the first time. Saw that tiny exhaust and it was the final nail in the coffin, will never buy one.
My sister's A200 has the exhaust integrated into the tail pipes for Christ sakes!!!!!

TEAShea 11-04-2015 08:30 AM

I think that it is a great feature - well done AMG

jeremyf0923 11-04-2015 10:30 AM

This thread is pretty comical. So very much to love about this car...surprising to see how this one minor thing turns some off...all the way to the point of not wanting to purchase because of it. I gotta say I've spent probably 3-4 hours total looking at the C63 at the dealership over course of last few months and have never noticed this.

With all that said, everyone is entitled to their opinion... :)

AV1 11-07-2015 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by kimeran (Post 6604137)
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE those fake exhaust tips!
I went on a breakfast run a while back and got to see the W205 C63 up close for the first time. Saw that tiny exhaust and it was the final nail in the coffin, will never buy one.
My sister's A200 has the exhaust integrated into the tail pipes for Christ sakes!!!!!

Not any more LOL, check out the mid life updated A Class range which is the same again for the updated E Class range and by the looks of things it seems all the models will all go that way :)

If your serious about what you wrote above then before long you won't be buying anything in the MB line up and there'll be an ever diminishing choice for you with all other brands as well :nix:

Surely it can't be a deal breaker just because of exhaust tips, you could always modify or change it with aftermarket hardware...:)

TEAShea 11-08-2015 09:34 AM

It seems that a pretty good percentage of the exhaust still exits out the tailpipes because of the shroud. I like it and think it makes a lot of sense. It enable the tips to be fit more precisely and keeps them from moving around.

I guess I particularly do not mind since I installed 2" diameter cutouts for my exhaust system, which bypasses the mufflers - so only about half of the exhaust goes through my mufflers anyway.

Tom

AMGFTMFW 11-08-2015 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by michaelpsmith (Post 6603171)

Nope, I like it. It's a smart solution to the "traditional" setup, which causes both excessive grime/dirt and misalignment on the exhaust tips.

This new setup eliminates both problems - love it.

Pit-Pony 11-08-2015 12:00 PM

I like it as well.
The tips look great.
There are dual pipes leading to the tips and the tips inner shell leave room from the pipes so the tips stay clean.
There is no down side to this arrangement.

layzie12g 11-08-2015 01:05 PM

Its cheap and hokey. Its nothing but a cost saving measure. You guys are just looking at the "positives" to money savings.

AMGFTMFW 11-08-2015 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by layzie12g (Post 6608137)
Its cheap and hokey. Its nothing but a cost saving measure. You guys are just looking at the "positives" to money savings.

Dirty and misaligned exhaust tips are a positive? IMO, I hated the traditional setup for those 2 reasons. It was a pain in the ass to deal with, especially since I like my exhaust tips to be both clean AND not slightly crooked. I'm OCD about that kind of thing.

Just because something has been done for ages and we think it's the end all solution, does not make it the best solution. Be more open minded, man.

TLDream 11-09-2015 09:05 PM

wow, i didn't even notice this, will have to look at mine.

but from the sound of it, i can imagine similar style to vent cover, or a space ship exhaust (in sci fi films), where there's likely outside piece that's not part of the actual exhaust... not a big deal.

kimeran 11-11-2015 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 6607145)
Not any more LOL, check out the mid life updated A Class range which is the same again for the updated E Class range and by the looks of things it seems all the models will all go that way :)

If your serious about what you wrote above then before long you won't be buying anything in the MB line up and there'll be an ever diminishing choice for you with all other brands as well :nix:

Surely it can't be a deal breaker just because of exhaust tips, you could always modify or change it with aftermarket hardware...:)

Ok that's not the absolute deal breaker. There's a lot of small,little things that annoy me, and I guess this was the last straw.
Look at the M4 for example, they didn't do that nonsense there

AMGFTMFW 11-11-2015 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by kimeran (Post 6611247)
Ok that's not the absolute deal breaker. There's a lot of small,little things that annoy me, and I guess this was the last straw.
Look at the M4 for example, they didn't do that nonsense there

No offense, but the M4's stock exhausts sound like garbage.

It's not called "The Lawnmower" for no reason.

If the C63S did a traditional setup, pretty sure it wouldn't sound that great either. Turbocharged cars simply don't sound that great without a team that is obsessed with making the car sound as good as a big block NA. AMG knows that part of its identity is the sound, so they had to come up with this solution.

jeremyf0923 11-11-2015 10:26 AM

Agree with AMGFTMFW. Translation for me...how exhaust sounds is more important than how it looks. I also think you really have to look for this exhaust tip "design issue" - to me it is not readily apparent. Now I would agree once you see it you will always see it, but certainly not remotely close to a deal breaker for me. As mentioned earlier though, each to his own. The beauty of the auto industry is that we all have a tremendous amount of choice when looking for our next car!

kimeran 11-12-2015 07:40 AM

I don't think the exhaust fitted onto the tips would make such a big difference in the way it sounds (could be wrong though). I just think it looks sooo much neater!

Nashville 11-12-2015 03:14 PM

Remember folks, MB is all about saftey first. the last thing they want is a HOT pipe sticking out the rear of the car and you burning your leg on it. just something to think about