MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Two weeks of ownership-some thoughts (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/606903-two-weeks-ownership-some-thoughts.html)

larvid 11-22-2015 06:59 AM

Two weeks of ownership-some thoughts

1. Car gets a lot more attention then I thought it would. People stop and chat with me about the car frequently, and it gets lots of attention from other drivers on the road.
2. The suspension is somewhat stiff, but in a very good way. The car feels tight, responsive, and sharp, but the minor trade off, is that you do feel every bump, ridge and defect on the road surface. I think anyone who purchases a C63 is more then willing to make that small sacrifice.
3. I love that you can push the brake pedal down all the way at a stop light, take your foot off the brake, and the car just holds in place.
4. Dynamic select is a very cool feature. It literally changes the personality of the car from somewhat tame every day driver (Comfort mode) to beast mode(Sports+).
5. I have polar white with NSP. I had my body shop paint the rear spoiler black to match the coloring of the NSP. This is a must mod as it brings the rear of the car to life. For $400 they tinted the windows and painted the spoiler. Pretty cost effective and looks great.
6. If you are in the NY area, you MUST take a drive on NY route 97. Its most famous feature is the Hawk's Nest, a tightly winding section of the road along the Delaware River, located a few miles north of Port Jervis. NY 97 intersects NY 52 in Narrowsburg and indirectly connects to three Pennsylvania state highways due to its proximity to the state line. OMG, it is driving heaven, especially this time of the year when you can have the entire road to yourself (summer gets super busy). I was able to take the car up to 110 mph and the car was extremely happy. Very confidence inspiring.

7. My engine was built by a female-Jacqueline Ayasse. I think it is incredibly cool that my car was built by a woman at the AMG Affalterbach plant. For those interested, here is Jacqueline's story and picture: http://www.mblife.co.za/MercedesLove...-AMG-Engineer/
There are only a handful of female AMG engine builders in the world.

8. I really like the Burmester Stereo. It is of high audio quality. It is slightly skewed to the mid range ( I like more high end), and it slightly lacks punch, but those are minor complaints. Overall, I would rate is a solid 8.5/10.

9. No mechanical issues at all with the car so far. The wipers do not chatter as others have complained about. There are no rattles, but I must say the chassis does have a certain creakiness about it. It is minor, but the structure feels more like 95% then 100% solid. Small nit pick and not obtrusive at all.

10. If you are ordering this car you must get the hands free access package for the truck. Best $250 you will spend, as it makes opening and closing the truck super easy, especially if you are putting packages or luggage in the trunk.

11. Fuel economy was laughable on the first tank of gas. About 13 mpg. I did get about 22 on mostly highway driving recently, so the engine seems to be breaking in nicely.

12. Leather seats are very comfortable on long trips with tons of adjustments, and the car has an intoxicating new car smell.

13. My other car is a 2014 Porsche Boxster S. Interesting dichotomy between the two. The C63 definitely feels and is faster. The Boxster by far handles better. I love the mid engine exhaust note of the Porsche...but...the C63, performance exhaust...sports+...heaven!!!

14. My build:
EXTERIOR
149 polar white
P60 night styling package
413 panorama sunroof
662 19" AMG cross-spoke forged wheels - titanium
U70 red brake calipers

INTERIOR
811 black leather with grey accent (S-model)
736 black ash open pore wood
555 AMG performance seats
U17 C63S black seatbelts

SAFETY
235 PARKTRONIC with active parking assist
234 blind spot assist
293 rear side airbags

MISC TECH
U78 AMG performance exhaust
320 multimedia package (COMAND)
389 hands free access package

I was able to get the car at $1500 over invoice, and there incentive I received for $2000, bringing the cost to $500 under invoice.

15. I just mounted Pirelli SotoZero III's on Advanti Hy Hybris rims purchased from tire rack. The rims look awesome, and so far the Pirellis are doing a nice job with a good mix of dry weather and wet weather traction. Thankfully, I have not tested them on snow yet.

Lastly, if anyone is on the fence about purchasing this car, just go for it. It is a special car. You will wake up in the morning, anxious to get out and take it for a drive. Might even make a crappy commute to work..dare I say..exciting.

TEAShea 11-22-2015 09:45 AM

Excellent comments. Glad you like it - I like mine also

benzbell 11-22-2015 10:15 AM

I have a Polar White with NSP as well. Been thinking about painting the spoiler black as you did. Could you please post a pic so I can see it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to post your comments - interesting read.

larvid 11-22-2015 06:59 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8d293f35ac.jpg

rongpanda 11-22-2015 08:49 PM

I wish I could say that people are noticing my car. Not sure if it's the area I live in (almost every other car is a Merc or something of the same cailber), but no one notices that my car is an AMG. Only a couple of people have done double-takes, and no one has actually commented out loud. :nix:

AV1 11-22-2015 09:22 PM

Good review :)

With regard to point 2, I believe latter production (possibly current production) W205 C63's will have a proper or better comfort mode.

This is the case for the new C205 C63 coupes as reviews seem to praise the fact that it has a more compliant/comfortable comfort ride mode than the sedan and this was incorporated because of initial negative W205 C63 customer and reviewer ride comfort feedback.

I also agree with your point No. 8 I was expecting the new Burmester sound system to be fantastic after reading all the literature, but having been in a few W205's now for extended periods of time with this system it does lack bass/punch compared to the previous Harmon Kardon audio.

Happy motoring with your car collection :)

benzbell 11-23-2015 02:49 AM

Thanks for the pic looks great - I'm gonna do it.

MisterC 11-23-2015 03:12 AM

Any fitment issues with the wheels or all good?

Thanks!

larvid 11-23-2015 07:30 AM

All good with the wheels. Could not be happier.

ffr2014 11-23-2015 09:53 AM

Very nice ride and great review!

jeremyf0923 11-23-2015 10:00 AM

Agree - great review...and yet another post that makes my wait until January excruciatingly long!!! :)

JPMBenz 11-23-2015 10:02 AM

Do you feel the winter tires make the car ride smoother than stock? I have yet to mount mine.

larvid 11-23-2015 10:47 AM

I only had the stock tires on for a few days before I mounted the winter tires, so it is hard to say. Any additional noise from the winter tires are drowned out by the sound of the engine anyway!! I do notice some wheel spin on hard acceleration, which just may be an AMG thing with AMG pre programmed traction control tolerances. I am guessing there is a small amount of wheel spin on hard acceleration with stock tires as well? It is a smooth ride on the SottoZeroes though. I do not find any excessive road noise. No complaints at all.

Trim105 11-23-2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by larvid (Post 6623330)
I only had the stock tires on for a few days before I mounted the winter tires, so it is hard to say. Any additional noise from the winter tires are drowned out by the sound of the engine anyway!! I do notice some wheel spin on hard acceleration, which just may be an AMG thing with AMG pre programmed traction control tolerances. I am guessing there is a small amount of wheel spin on hard acceleration with stock tires as well? It is a smooth ride on the SottoZeroes though. I do not find any excessive road noise. No complaints at all.

The wheelspin is definitely an AMG thing. It's what the C63 is all about :D (although it's a lot more composed than the previous one, the W204 C63 was over the top 'tail happy' at times)

Intercooled 11-28-2015 10:29 PM

Car looks awesome, love the white and black. As far as #1 on your list I noticed what little attention I do get is from the above 35-40 age crowd. Funny that my other car is a Nissan GT-R R35 and that gets ton of attention from below 35 age crowd. I purchased the c63s as my daily driver, its way way more refined and practical over the GT-R. Absolutely love my c63s AMG.

cyberorth 11-29-2015 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Intercooled (Post 6628586)
Car looks awesome, love the white and black. As far as #1 on your list I noticed what little attention I do get is from the above 35-40 age crowd. Funny that my other car is a Nissan GT-R R35 and that gets ton of attention from below 35 age crowd. I purchased the c63s as my daily driver, its way way more refined and practical over the GT-R. Absolutely love my c63s AMG.

Very cool. We seem to share similar drives. What is your GTR life handle? I assume you visit there.

Intercooled 11-29-2015 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by cyberorth (Post 6628669)
Very cool. We seem to share similar drives. What is your GTR life handle? I assume you visit there.

My GT-R Life handle is also Intercooled. I traded my modified 2014 Miata club you see in the picture in for the c63s AMG. I wanted to get the white c63s with black trim but when I saw that red with white quilt interior pounced on it. Red is a tad bit to bling for me but it grew on me. I never had HUD to miss it just a novelty I though would be cool. Could always shut it off I guess. But oh well would of been a cool perk but not needed. I have my c63s AMG pics posted in the new member thread.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...360c7b0d9c.jpg

My Previous Miata Club and Current GT-R Premium edition.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7320341031.jpg

cyberorth 11-29-2015 11:40 AM

MB has done an awesome job with the interior of these cars. Look like high end aftermarket stuff.

RDOCA 11-29-2015 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by cyberorth (Post 6628877)
MB has done an awesome job with the interior of these cars. Look like high end aftermarket stuff.

Right on --Compared to the competition it is night and day better.

jeremyf0923 11-29-2015 01:42 PM

Love that white quilted leather, but could not live with the fact that the 12 o'clock marker on steering wheel was black and not white. I know that may sound silly, but couldn't get past that.

Intercooled 12-05-2015 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyf0923 (Post 6628976)
Love that white quilted leather, but could not live with the fact that the 12 o'clock marker on steering wheel was black and not white. I know that may sound silly, but couldn't get past that.

No not silly, I can see where that would of been a doable simple detail to tie it all together. Or at a minimum have white stitching? Cost however probably be another $300 more I'm sure. I'm a bit over-whelmed as it sits. Considering mine also has the carbon fiber console as well as the aluminum accents along with AMG seats and the fact that its quilted and perforated; is a visual \ touch sensory overload of super glamour to say the least......LOL tasteful in deed and I do like it but good lord there is a crap ton of bling compared to what I use too. I had to check the glove box for Grey Poupon. BTW the AMG seats feel incredible to me.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7cb7542cd4.jpg

westwest888 12-05-2015 03:43 PM

What was the $2000 incentive you got?

larvid 12-06-2015 07:20 AM

Mercedes was offering a rebate on C class vehicles. Also, if you are an attorney, the American Bar Association offers a rebate on the purchase of a MB. On the C class, it was $2,500 I think (which cannot be combined with any other discount).

cyberorth 12-06-2015 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Intercooled (Post 6634960)
No not silly, I can see where that would of been a doable simple detail to tie it all together. Or at a minimum have white stitching? Cost however probably be another $300 more I'm sure. I'm a bit over-whelmed as it sits. Considering mine also has the carbon fiber console as well as the aluminum accents along with AMG seats and the fact that its quilted and perforated; is a visual \ touch sensory overload of super glamour to say the least......LOL tasteful in deed and I do like it but good lord there is a crap ton of bling compared to what I use too. I had to check the glove box for Grey Poupon. BTW the AMG seats feel incredible to me.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7cb7542cd4.jpg

I just saw an old pic in one of the car tabloids that shows a little white band stop steering wheel. Odd.