MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   W205 Gearbox (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/607548-w205-gearbox.html)

kimeran 11-27-2015 04:16 AM

W205 Gearbox

Sup guys

Was just wondering how is the gearbox on the new C63? Compare it to the W204 C63?
Reason I ask is, I've been driving my sister's A220 CDI for a while now and I hate the gearbox. It's so laggy and takes forever for it to select a lower gear when you want to accelerate.
On take off, you have to actually press the accelerator before the car in front of you takes off, just so you can take off as well, and not leave a big ass gap to the car in front.
I'm sure the C63 will have much better gearbox software and be more responsive, but just wondering.

Irrational 11-27-2015 04:57 AM

Well, I've only had mine for 2 days but I found no issue with the transmission so far. It's super quick in both up shifts and down.

JPMBenz 11-28-2015 11:20 AM

It is the same transmission as the W204. However, it has been remapped to be quicker, smoother, and it is more along the lines of a DCT in response.

erpowell 11-28-2015 11:29 AM

Its ok. I have the c63s and feel its a bit still laggy when changing gears. Let me rephrase that. I mean when you switch gears manually to the actual gear changing is slow in response time. The gear changing internally is really quick. I had an e46 in the past and loved the way it changed gear from response time to mechanical timing. Its a great car but this part really annoys me. I heard Porsche has a really good pdk system.

irablumberg 11-28-2015 01:51 PM

This has been discussed before, so you may want to search.

In short, with the C63s, the response to the paddles and the overall shift speed and firmness depend on the mode in which you have set the car. In Sport+ or Race, the shifting is quite firm and faster than in the W204. In those modes, the paddles are also much more responsive than with the W204. In particular, in Race mode, I can pull the down shift paddle as fast as possible and the transmission keeps up and does not miss a shift.

The shifting is not quite as lightning quick as with the BMW M4, but it is more than adequate for both street and track driving.

Lugn 11-29-2015 06:51 AM

The only challenges I've had are hesitation at near stops, and a slow takeoff when the transmission is still cold. Had the car in the shop and asked for a TCU software upgrade, which seems to have improved the near stop issue.

The manual shift isn't as quick as the M4, but this was a known fact going in, so this doesn't bother me.

finch! 11-29-2015 08:40 AM

My C63s hasn't been built yet, but I drove one a week or two ago. I was very surprised by the gearbox - it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. I have an A45 and only drive it in manual mode. Where the A45 would not change down, or change a second or so later than I pull the paddle, the C63s was pretty close. Better than the A45.

Neither gearbox, when in manual mode, is as good as the six speed VW DSG in my Passat R36. It is excellent, and so was the Golf GTI before the A45. That six speed DSG gearbox is my benchmark - not only because of the way the gearbox performs, but because of the price. It's great.

I'm looking forward to taking delivery of my C63s estate in the new year and getting to know it. The gearbox is my greatest uncertainty, but an hour with it helped alleviate my concern. A bit.

RDOCA 11-29-2015 10:46 AM

I have had a chance just lately to run it in a track day and in the mountain twisties and I don't have too much bad to say. I like to use S+ and drive not manual in the canyons as the trans logic seems to give the correct gear MOST of the time. When it is not where I want, the paddles make it right. It is too easy in manual to get distracted by a curve not what you thought or a car and bump against the fuel shutoff and in D it just shifts and when necessary pull the paddle if trans has not shifted down when you want. I like this system much better than a M3 as if in Drive and you pull the paddle it than stays in manual. I agree that a PDK or DCT in the M3 is some better but I'm ok with the MCT except in times like in comfort coming to a stop and the light changes and you get back on the throttle and get a hesitation.

TEAShea 11-29-2015 11:40 AM

I had two w204 C63's - one with the early transmission and one with the later version. The W205 C63 is superior. It is not quite as quick as a DCT but is pretty close - and is smoother.

kimeran 11-30-2015 04:03 AM

I'm sure the gear changes are quick, my concern was taking off and the car knowing what gear to be in at the right time (in any of the automatic modes).

irablumberg 11-30-2015 06:25 AM

In race mode, the trans up shifts at red line. It down shifts appropriately with any moderate to strong braking.

I just drove the GT-S and the C63S for 2 days at Laguna Seca and both cars found the right gear every time in auto race mode.

Gester 12-02-2015 09:13 AM

I actually find that doing a 3 point turn and having to go from Reverse to Drive really quick extremely cumbersome and it doesn't "lock" straight away and if I'm on a hill I actually get a slight roll back and have to break first then try accelerating again.

anyone else have this?

kimeran 12-03-2015 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gester (Post 6631655)
I actually find that doing a 3 point turn and having to go from Reverse to Drive really quick extremely cumbersome and it doesn't "lock" straight away and if I'm on a hill I actually get a slight roll back and have to break first then try accelerating again.

anyone else have this?

This is basically what I was asking.
I feel this on the A220 and it's extremely frustrating.