C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any real HP increase with changing out the stock air filters?

Old 04-20-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
GTS AMG
Is there any real HP increase with changing out the stock air filters?

New air filters are pricey. Anyone have dyno results showing increases in HP?

I'm not into changing from stock if no real gains are made.

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yes it has been reported that there is an 8 to the minus sixth HP increase!!

PS:If the filters are too pricey, you can always replace the filters with a wad your girlfriends nylons!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 04-20-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by CAracer
New air filters are pricey. Anyone have dyno results showing increases in HP?

I'm not into changing from stock if no real gains are made.

Thanks,
I haven't seen any numbers but the pics show the thicker OEM filter does block the air flow and cause turbulence so there might be some gain with the thinner after market filters.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
I was told to expect a 10-15hp gain over stock. I did change my air filters to the Rebellion filters in conjunction with the piggy back so hard to tell..
Old 04-20-2016, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
I was told to expect a 10-15hp gain over stock. I did change my air filters to the Rebellion filters in conjunction with the piggy back so hard to tell..
You're not gonna get 10-15 hp from air filters

Factory filters are not that restrictive
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyC (10-29-2018)
Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 PM

AMG C63S
http://store.rebellionautomotive.co....e-air-filters/

http://weistec.com/high-flow-air-filter-set-m156.html

weistec Claims 5-10 HP gains on their website (link above)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
With a tune.....not by themselves....and tune results are not consistent, vehicle to vehicle. If any vendor is claiming a specific horsepower gain, it should be accompanied by a dyno sheet to reflect. Otherwise they are just selling koolaid, and you are drinking it up. The only way they post an actual horsepower gain, is if they validated on a dyno...so why not post the graph.

"For maximum results, the combination of our Weistec ECU flash and Weistec M156 High Flow Air Filters is recommended"

Last edited by callmiro; 04-21-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:13 AM

AMG C63S
I don't see anywhere where it says a tune is required to get the HP gains. Doesnt even make sense really. So, if I tune and get 80hp with stock filters and jump to 90hp with hi flow filters, why wouldn't I jump the same hp with hi flow filters on a stock engine?

What does the tune have to do with the airflow and HP gains from the filters?

More air flow equal more HP regardless of a tune or stock..
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
I don't see anywhere where it says a tune is required to get the HP gains. Doesnt even make sense really. So, if I tune and get 80hp with stock filters and jump to 90hp with hi flow filters, why wouldn't I jump the same hp with hi flow filters on a stock engine?

What does the tune have to do with the airflow and HP gains from the filters?

More air flow equal more HP regardless of a tune or stock..

"For maximum results, the combination of our Weistec ECU flash and Weistec M156 High Flow Air Filters is recommended"

It says it right on the link you sent.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 AM

AMG C63S
Maybe l am reading it differently than you are.

Yes, if you want maximum (HP) results you get a flash along with hi flow filters. However, that doesnt in any way indicate that the HP gains of 5-10 are contingent on a flash.

Ive read it 4 times and I still don't interpret it the way you do. So, if I don't get the flash then I don't get 5-10 hp? Where does it say that?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
Maybe l am reading it differently than you are.

Yes, if you want maximum (HP) results you get a flash along with hi flow filters. However, that doesnt in any way indicate that the HP gains of 5-10 are contingent on a flash.

Ive read it 4 times and I still don't interpret it the way you do. So, if I don't get the flash then I don't get 5-10 hp? Where does it say that?
The maximum horsepower results are 5-10HP, which is why its stated on the filter page.

To get the maximum horsepower results of 5-10hp for the filters, they recommend a tune.

It's pretty clear.

But this has nothing to do with Rebellion or their products. Its an example of a competitor you raised.

Last edited by callmiro; 04-21-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 AM

AMG C63S
I noticed you just edited your post as I was typing to say:
"But this has nothing to do with Rebellion or their products. Its an example of a competitor you raised."

I don't see how Rebellion's filters can produce hp gains without a tune but, Wiestec's cannot.

So, let's make a bet.. I will email Wesitec, or you can. If it produces ANY HP gains without a tune you pay me $100 Paypal Gift. If the air filter produces NO HP GAINS without a tune, I send you $100 Paypal gift.

I trust you will pay if you lose and you have no fear about me paying, I will do so within minutes of losing and being notified.

Whatdya say? Wanna bet you don't need a tune to get HP gains or not?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:45 AM

AMG C63S
While you decide, I will send this email. I have not yet sent it or have an answer so, the bet is on if you say you're ready to play. Here is my email to Weistec....

Good morning. I own a MB C63S AMG and see you sell high Flow Air Filters. on your website it indicates that these filters can increase my HP by 5-10HP but, also states that maximum gains can be achieved with an ECU flash in addition to the filters.

Now I understand that an ECU tune will greatly increase my HP, but if I do nothing but switch from my factory air filters to your high flow/ high performance air filters, will I still gain 5-10 HP or in order to gain any HP will I require a tune as well?

Hope this isn’t a silly question.

Sincerely,

CT-AMG
Old 04-21-2016, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
I noticed you just edited your post as I was typing to say:
"But this has nothing to do with Rebellion or their products. Its an example of a competitor you raised."

I don't see how Rebellion's filters can produce hp gains without a tune but, Wiestec's cannot.

So, let's make a bet.. I will email Wesitec, or you can. If it produces ANY HP gains without a tune you pay me $100 Paypal Gift. If the air filter produces NO HP GAINS without a tune, I send you $100 Paypal gift.

I trust you will pay if you lose and you have no fear about me paying, I will do so within minutes of losing and being notified.

Whatdya say? Wanna bet you don't need a tune to get HP gains or not?
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"]

[SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]First of all fu

Last edited by callmiro; 04-21-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 AM

AMG C63S
F-me? Why...

This is a friendly wager. You and I disagree and we want clarification. I read it one way and you another. You are adamant you are correct and so am I. So, I figured a friendly wager would put it to rest.

No need for an F-you..
Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
F-me? Why...

This is a friendly wager. You and I disagree and we want clarification. I read it one way and you another. You are adamant you are correct and so am I. So, I figured a friendly wager would put it to rest.

No need for an F-you..
They cut off my post

Second of all I didnt say you wouldn't make any gains. I clearly stated you're not gonna make 10-15 from filters.

You brought up Weistec, and their site clearly has a disclaimer saying maximum filters gains are achieved with a tune.

If you wanna believe every piece of marketing and sales material, then keep drinking the koolaid Sally.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 AM

AMG C63S
We call this backpedaling ...

I said that Rebellion told me that we could expect 10-15 hp gains by changing the filters.

You said you are not going to get 10-15hp gains from filters alone.

I linked Weistec's website that indicated that THEIR filters will get you 5-10hp gains.

Then you stated that the gains can only be achieved with a TUNE. I disagreed.

Now you are backpedaling that you aren't going to make ANY gains.

Well, if you haven't changed your "tune" about making 5-10 hp ONLY WITH A TUNE, then please explain to me how little HP gains can one expect without a tune?

1 hp? 3hp? If I can only gain 5-10hp WITH A TUNE, but you now state that you never said you wouldn't make ANY gains, then what is your position? We can expect 1-4hp without a tune?

If I had you on the witness stand you would be decapitated in front of a jury..

Forgot to throw in the "don't believe the marketing hype" comment too.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
I really don't get this fixation with a few hp here or there with air filters or catbacks.

It is torque that matters in real life driving. It is well known that high flow air filters or catbacks tend to reduce low end torque and any gains in hp are normally small and come in the top end.

Peak hp is for bragging rights. It's the area under the dyno curve that counts.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:07 AM

AMG C63S
"You brought up Weistec, and their site clearly has a disclaimer saying maximum filters gains are achieved with a tune."

Maximum HP is achieved with a tune. Maximum torque is achieved with a tune. Maximum MPH is achieved with a tune. I don't disagree with any of that but, that isn't the discussion.

Can HP be achieved SOLELY with an air filter change. Not with a tune. Not with a piggyback. Not "we can get more HP with a tune".

Can an air filter swap increase HP. That was the original posters question and what I responded to. All of your gibberish to confuse the question is nonsense.

Put up or shut up..
Old 04-21-2016, 10:09 AM

AMG C63S
ddtung: I have not seen any evidence that high flow air filters reduces torque figures down low. In fact, every single guy I know who races at the track has high flow air filters so, why not keep them stock if they can run faster times or if it will improve low end torque where they need it most?

Someone needs to do a before and after dyno run to put an end to the misinformation..
Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
We call this backpedaling ...

I said that Rebellion told me that we could expect 10-15 hp gains by changing the filters.

I linked Weistec's website that indicated that THEIR filters will get you 5-10hp gains.

Well, if you haven't changed your "tune" about making 5-10 hp ONLY WITH A TUNE, then please explain to me how little HP gains can one expect without a tune?

1 hp? 3hp? If I can only gain 5-10hp WITH A TUNE, but you now state that you never said you wouldn't make ANY gains, then what is your position? We can expect 1-4hp without a tune?

Are you a troll? Is there camera's on me or something? Am i on punk'd?

YES

WHICH CLEARLY STATES WITH A TUNE

THERE'S NO DISAGREEMENT - WEISTEC STATES IT

AGAIN, I NEVER SAID YOU AREN'T GOING TO MAKE ANY GAINS, I SAID YOU'RE NOT GONNA MAKE 10-15

YES...FILTERS MAKE ABOUT 1-3 HP

YES...THATS WHAT MOST PEOPLE MAKE

YOU WOULD NEVER MAKE IT A THE COURTROOM WITH YOUR ONLINE LAW CERTIFICATE FROM SHNARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF THE FAR FROM GIFTED

Last edited by callmiro; 04-21-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:43 PM

AMG C63S
Smile

Whoop, here it is..

Anthony (Weistec Engineering)
Apr 21, 10:10 AM

Eric,

An ECU flash is not required to get benefits out of the air filters, but it helps. Running just the air filters you should notice that the turbochargers are more audible and respond slightly quicker thanks to the lower provide of our filters that do not obstruct the airbox inlets like the factory filters. As for power, its hard to feel the difference of 5-10 hp when the vehicle is already making 500 hp

Hope that answers your question

Best Regards,
Anthony – Deistic staff

Guess that Law degree from Schnard Community College taught me one thing...How to read.

hahahahhwheeeeeehoooohohhaaa!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
Whoop, here it is..

Anthony (Weistec Engineering)
Apr 21, 10:10 AM

Eric,

An ECU flash is not required to get benefits out of the air filters, but it helps. Running just the air filters you should notice that the turbochargers are more audible and respond slightly quicker thanks to the lower provide of our filters that do not obstruct the airbox inlets like the factory filters. As for power, its hard to feel the difference of 5-10 hp when the vehicle is already making 500 hp

Hope that answers your question

Best Regards,
Anthony – Deistic staff

Guess that Law degree from Schnard Community College taught me one thing...How to read.

hahahahhwheeeeeehoooohohhaaa!!!
Dude...seriously....are you intellectually challenged?

His response says everything i did. You don't need a tune to make a gain but you won't make 5-10 without it either

Move along bro...you're dying a slow death here
Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 PM

AMG C63S
At this point, I will let the forum members interpret the thread as they see fit. You clearly do not understand..
Old 04-21-2016, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
At this point, I will let the forum members interpret the thread as they see fit. You clearly do not understand..

I understand you now....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there any real HP increase with changing out the stock air filters?