MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Took delivery of my C63S...One week impressions (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/623727-took-delivery-my-c63s-one-week-impressions.html)

PunjabiM3 04-28-2016 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6786666)
You forgot to mention the no steering feel at all. 0 feedback. I hate it.

Given that most all new cars have little to no steering feel thanks to EPS, I figured why mention it. I don't think it is likely all that different in the current generation of BMW M cars and Audi RS. In fact from what I remember the steering feel in the current AMG cars is better than the current M cars.

Trim105 04-28-2016 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bespoke88 (Post 6786673)
Yes I saw that too, but they were talking about performance aspect, not so much about how comfortable the car was.. unless i missed it.

Well unless you count handling as a performance aspect, nothing on Punjabi's list really related to performance aspects of the car, and the rest of the discussion is mainly on optimum tyre pressures, suspension/ride quality and aspects of the comand system...

Guilty 04-28-2016 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 (Post 6786832)
Given that most all new cars have little to no steering feel thanks to EPS, I figured why mention it. I don't think it is likely all that different in the current generation of BMW M cars and Audi RS. In fact from what I remember the steering feel in the current AMG cars is better than the current M cars.

It doesn't mean that it's right. I really don't know much about cars and technical terms. All I know is smash and go. A couple of years ago, I rented a 991 S and I think that car has EPS as well. I don't remember the steering being so bad. It was actually very precise. Heck, even the Infiniti Q50 has a pretty good steering.

I just freaking hate the steering in my car. What's the sport of driving an AMG if it feels like I'm sailing a boat? Just sucks man, sorry for the rant. Enjoy your new car in good health.

PunjabiM3 04-29-2016 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6787007)
It doesn't mean that it's right. I really don't know much about cars and technical terms. All I know is smash and go. A couple of years ago, I rented a 991 S and I think that car has EPS as well. I don't remember the steering being so bad. It was actually very precise. Heck, even the Infiniti Q50 has a pretty good steering.

I just freaking hate the steering in my car. What's the sport of driving an AMG if it feels like I'm sailing a boat? Just sucks man, sorry for the rant. Enjoy your new car in good health.

Well shoot if the steering bothers you that much get rid of the car and buy something else. Can't put a price on happiness. Porsche is one of the few companies out there that has done a good job with EPS. But in any case, EPS cannot compare to the traditional hydraulic rack steering systems that had been used for decades. 991 steering is dull compared to the 997, M4 steering is dull compared to older M cars, etc etc. I don't track my C63S nor are there that many great driving roads in the Dallas metro area, so the car serves great as a four door small family hauler with more than enough power to have fun on the straight roads around here.:)

PunjabiM3 04-29-2016 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6787007)

Oh and let me add that if I feel like a very fun drive with spades of character I just take my R8 out for a drive.:D

Guilty 04-29-2016 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 (Post 6787029)
Oh and let me add that if I feel like a very fun drive with spades of character I just take my R8 out for a drive.:D

I would but that's all I can afford at the moment. :naughty:

I'm really hoping that my next car is going to be a true exotic. Working hard on it.

Have fun :y

Iceman II 04-29-2016 06:44 PM

Great feedback..! I'm still adjusting to #4.

AV1 04-30-2016 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bespoke88 (Post 6786282)
where did you see this?

Originally Posted by Trim105 (Post 6786451)
A lot of the reviews for the coupe have pointed out that the ride quality is an improvement over the sedan and Tobias Moers has said the revised suspension setup will make its way onto future AMG's starting with the next E63 (don't see why it wouldn't make its way to the C63 saloon and estate pre/post facelift either).

As pointed out above, it has definitely been specifically pointed out in several reviews.

I don't have any of the articles on this particular subject flagged to go back to and show you but they are there hopefully if you search through you'll come across at least one or more.

Certainly also as time passes by and people start to take delivery of and test drive the new coupes we'll be able to further confirm (or not) if the C205 C63's ride better or not, the new E's will definitely ride more comfortably and more refined than any of the C class range as the E class has always been a step (or 2) above the C's in refinement.

PunjabiM3 05-04-2016 01:44 PM

So some further comments now that I have had the car about two weeks. I have approx 450 miles on the odometer.

1. Ride is stiff but I suppose I have gotten used to it a bit. My biggest complaint now is that if the road is not smooth, any moderate sized bump or expansion joint in the road causes what I describe as a "thud" sound from the suspension. It almost feels like the suspension is so stiff it feels like it crashes on bumps. It also transmits all of it through the structure of the car. On bumps and rough roads I hear several creaks and rattles in the car. A bit of a disappointment here as the four year old A6 we traded in had less creaks and rattles at 43k miles than what my new C63S has already at 450 miles. Bottom line for me: I wish MB would have spent more time on softening the suspension a bit in the comfort setting, and also wish there was a bit more isolation through the structure and/or cabin.

2. The Burmeister system is decent. After listening to it for a few weeks I agree with others that it is a bit of a let down. At louder volumes the bass just gives out. This morning I was driving to the airport, listening to Alchemy by Above & Beyond. As moderate volumes the bass was great. A few more clicks up in volume the bass went away completely. Then a few more clicks and the bass came back somewhat. Very strange. Sounds like the amp does not have enough power though perhaps the speakers can handle more. The system isn't terrible but not anything special is my summary of it.

3. Love the biturbo V8. Engine has plenty of pull, minimal lag, and sounds great with the factory performance exhaust. I always leave the valves open. Part of me wishes it were a bit louder with the valves open.

4. I don't find the MCT transmission to be that bad to be honest. It shifts plenty fast for the street and seems pretty intuitive in gear selection. Of course I have only driven the car in auto mode during break-in. So far I have tried pretty hard to keep the RPMs under 4500 and no more than about 80-90% throttle in brief bursts. Will give it some more go as I get past 600-700 miles.

5. The climate control and specifically A/C work very well. It doesn't require much to keep the cabin comfortable. I have my windows tinted with Llumar CTX 30 and the panoramic roof with CTX 15. I feel like the A/C in a BMW, for example, seems to have to work much harder to try and keep the cabin cool and still doesn't work as good as in this MB (I have a 2015 X5 with 4-zone climate control in comparison).

6. I still love the interior. It is a great place to be, looks great. Again only complaint are some of the creaks and rattles I am already hearing at 450 miles, a lot which only are heard on bumpy and/or rough roads (probably due to the suspension).

I plan to keep the car for 4 years as I usually end up getting the itch for something new within a few years lol. Right now I would say it will be 50/50 on if I make it past two years with the car, mostly due to the creaks/rattles. Hopefully they won't get any worse. I look forward to opening her up WOT once break-in is complete!

msd3075 05-04-2016 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 (Post 6792538)
5. The climate control and specifically A/C work very well. It doesn't require much to keep the cabin comfortable. I have my windows tinted with Llumar CTX 30 and the panoramic roof with CTX 15. I feel like the A/C in a BMW, for example, seems to have to work much harder to try and keep the cabin cool and still doesn't work as good as in this MB (I have a 2015 X5 with 4-zone climate control in comparison).

I have a '14 X5 (basically the same as your '15), and the A/C is noticeably weaker in it compared to just about everything I've owned. Living in Houston, you notice very quickly if an A/C system isn't very strong, and the one in the X5 is not very good.

If you are used to the system in the X5, just about anything else on the market will feel like an improvement.

Dasani 05-04-2016 03:00 PM

The AC does seem particularly strong. I've yet to even run it full time.

sack5000 05-30-2016 07:49 AM

The suspension is horrible. I had the E63, so nice in comparison. Also, the car doesn't accelerate smoothly in C, you have to mash on the gas, ha.

The Command changes are terrible. Just switching SAT radio stations is hard.

This car is fast but has the minimum of goodies. Mercedes getting to us!

I noticed the new E class will have the same engine, just tuned to almost 600hp!