MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Paint protection and Xpel (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/639889-paint-protection-xpel.html)

auditoamg 10-02-2016 07:26 PM

Paint protection and Xpel

Ok, so car arrives and I'm doing both of the above.....i was told that the xpel should be applied first, but this seems counterintuitive to me... I would think the Opticoat should go first???

Thoughts and experience?

Guilty 10-02-2016 07:51 PM

OPTICOAT IS GARBAGE. IT'S A RIP OFF YOU DON'T NEED IT. I applied it on top of PPF and it's a WASTE OF MONEY.

Do a full clear bra on the car, end of the story. done.

tomkirkland4 10-02-2016 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by auditoamg (Post 6931356)
Ok, so car arrives and I'm doing both of the above.....i was told that the xpel should be applied first, but this seems counterintuitive to me... I would think the Opticoat should go first???

Thoughts and experience?

I do the same on my cars. I'm pretty sure they prep the paint first, apply polish then paint protection and finally XPEL.
The XPEL goes on last to help make it easier to clean the protection.

vaelin 10-02-2016 07:55 PM

Xpel Stealth only on my C63S.

Guilty 10-02-2016 08:11 PM

Xpel is all you need.

JPMBenz 10-02-2016 08:12 PM

I did a full paint correction on my C63 S and then I applied Suntek PPF. No issues what's so ever. I apply a coat of wax/clay to the PPF areas and it's beautiful.

vaelin 10-02-2016 08:26 PM

I don't even see the point of applying wax to the PPF. It's replaceable, and although it's a lifetime warranty, I'm pretty sure after 2-3 years, it could use a refresh anyways.

auditoamg 10-02-2016 08:28 PM

So most of you are saying Xpel only, which is different from my past experiences with OptiCoat. It saved my paint in a few situations, from rocks and from chemicals. But, if you're all saying that I can get the same long term shine and durability from Xpel, then I'll give that a shot...

What have you all paid for a full wrap?

I was quoted $2500 for Tint (photosync) and full front hood, full bumper, full fenders, full rockers.

vaelin 10-02-2016 08:34 PM

I paid $3500 for full Xpel Stealth PPF wrap, bumper to bumper.

I had the unlucky experience of dealing with a semi pulling almost-empty-but-not-quite gravel hoppers, one of which was left open.. spewing gravel across the entire freeway as he trucked along last week.

Constantly heard the gravel pelting my car.. all the cars in front of me were swerving at least 2 lanes away from the truck.

Got to work, did a full inspection.. not one ding. Lots of dusty residue and places where the gravel hit the Xpel dead on.. and pretty much did nothing to my paint and body. I hosed down the car when I got home and walked away.

EDIT: I did get 2 windshield dings, but both ended up on the passenger side so I'm a bit less annoyed.

Guilty 10-02-2016 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by vaelin (Post 6931402)
I paid $3500 for full Xpel Stealth PPF wrap, bumper to bumper.

I had the unlucky experience of dealing with a semi pulling almost-empty-but-not-quite gravel hoppers, one of which was left open.. spewing gravel across the entire freeway as he trucked along last week.

Constantly heard the gravel pelting my car.. all the cars in front of me were swerving at least 2 lanes away from the truck.

Got to work, did a full inspection.. not one ding. Lots of dusty residue and places where the gravel hit the Xpel dead on.. and pretty much did nothing to my paint and body. I hosed down the car when I got home and walked away.

EDIT: I did get 2 windshield dings, but both ended up on the passenger side so I'm a bit less annoyed.

$3500 for the whole car? I got quoted 6k for Xpel Ultimate on the whole car at Sticker City :crazy:

vaelin 10-02-2016 10:36 PM

Yeah, 3500. The place I took it to is right next to my work, so it was one of those situations where I'd drop it off for the day, and take it home after work. It took two weeks and during that time my car was in various states of gloss/matte and missing emblems. So basically they did it during their downtime.. they're a tint shop.

Material cost is about $1200 for a full roll (60" x 50') so what you're paying for is labor.

Guilty 10-02-2016 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by vaelin (Post 6931504)
Yeah, 3500. The place I took it to is right next to my work, so it was one of those situations where I'd drop it off for the day, and take it home after work. It took two weeks and during that time my car was in various states of gloss/matte and missing emblems. So basically they did it during their downtime.. they're a tint shop.

Material cost is about $1200 for a full roll (60" x 50') so what you're paying for is labor.

Thank you

SBH- 10-03-2016 02:18 AM

last thing I remember that I've been told in these situations, you would apply the PPF first then do the coating on top.

vaelin 10-03-2016 10:46 AM

Which somehow doesn't make much sense to me.. the fact that PPF has a soft upper layer for self-healing, and the coating supposedly hardens whatever surface it's on, seems counter productive.

If the coating products did what they supposedly do, shouldn't it be the other way around as a 'final' protection if something gets through the PPF?

And then your coating would be intact if you had to replace the PPF?

Seems almost like a scam.

auditoamg 10-03-2016 11:46 AM

This is exactly why I posted the question in the first place, because it seems counterintuitive to me and I've been told the same thing - PPF first and then the coating. I don't buy it. Although, I've heard the coating actually soaks into the film, because the film is semi-permeable, and helps to actually enhance it.... But then, once again, it is counter intuitive to me because how does it prevent etching from bird droppings and the like??? I'm just confused...

So for those of you with PPF - have you had problems with etching from bird droppings, chemical etching or does this wipe right off?

XPEL 10-03-2016 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by auditoamg (Post 6931356)

Thoughts and experience?

If you do choose to go with a Ceramic Coating, be sure it is applied AFTER your paint protection film has been installed. If you have the coating applied first, and then film on top of the coating, it can cause adhesion issues, which would cause premature lifting of the film. Film first, coating second(if you choose to use a coating)

Originally Posted by SBH- (Post 6931626)
last thing I remember that I've been told in these situations, you would apply the PPF first then do the coating on top.

You are 100% correct

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6931413)
$3500 for the whole car? I got quoted 6k for Xpel Ultimate on the whole car at Sticker City :crazy:

That is a bit low, Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:
- Where you live
- Demand for paint protection film
- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

Originally Posted by auditoamg (Post 6931394)
So most of you are saying Xpel only, which is different from my past experiences with OptiCoat. It saved my paint in a few situations, from rocks and from chemicals. But, if you're all saying that I can get the same long term shine and durability from Xpel, then I'll give that a shot...

What have you all paid for a full wrap?

I was quoted $2500 for Tint (photosync) and full front hood, full bumper, full fenders, full rockers.

That price is not bad considering they're doing window tint and rockers for 2500.

Guilty 10-03-2016 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by XPEL (Post 6931926)
If you do choose to go with a Ceramic Coating, be sure it is applied AFTER your paint protection film has been installed. If you have the coating applied first, and then film on top of the coating, it can cause adhesion issues, which would cause premature lifting of the film. Film first, coating second(if you choose to use a coating)

You are 100% correct

That is a bit low, Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:
- Where you live
- Demand for paint protection film
- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

That price is not bad considering they're doing window tint and rockers for 2500.

Is there a difference in protection between Stealth (Satin) and Ultimate (gloss)?

XPEL 10-03-2016 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6931948)
Is there a difference in protection between Stealth (Satin) and Ultimate (gloss)?

STEALTH can be more expensive, due to the installation time/labor. Some installers will remove certain pieces of the vehicle to make for a better installation during STEALTH (so there are less visible gloss areas).

The film STEALTH and ULTIMATE are both 8 mils thick. STEALTH is ULTIMATE with a satin-finish top coat.

vaelin 10-03-2016 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by XPEL (Post 6931926)

So, while you state that IF you choose to use a coating.. what do you guys think about coatings with your XPEL PPF? Regardless of applied before or after.. is there even a point?

It would seem that XPEL is more than enough protection in itself that if it required replacement of the film from impact, it's likely a coating wouldn't do anything 'more'.

The glossy XPEL Ultimate PPF seems to provide showroom shine with minimal upkeep already.

XPEL 10-03-2016 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by vaelin (Post 6932140)
So, while you state that IF you choose to use a coating.. what do you guys think about coatings with your XPEL PPF? Regardless of applied before or after.. is there even a point?

It would seem that XPEL is more than enough protection in itself that if it required replacement of the film from impact, it's likely a coating wouldn't do anything 'more'.

The glossy XPEL Ultimate PPF seems to provide showroom shine with minimal upkeep already.

If you're installing a coating, the coating certainly needs to be applied AFTER the film has been installed. We haven't seen any issues with the film by having a coating installed over the film.

vaelin 10-03-2016 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by XPEL (Post 6932142)
If you're installing a coating, the coating certainly needs to be applied AFTER the film has been installed. We haven't seen any issues with the film by having a coating installed over the film.

Heh, not quite what I'm asking.

I'm asking if there's even a point to using the coating, as XPEL seems to provide all the protection you'd need...

XPEL 10-03-2016 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by vaelin (Post 6932166)
Heh, not quite what I'm asking.

I'm asking if there's even a point to using the coating, as XPEL seems to provide all the protection you'd need...

Can't speak for all the properties of all the different coatings on the market, but it has the same effect it does on a bare painted surface. So depending on the coating, it will make the film even easier to clean, more hydrophobic, etc. The top coat of the film is an automotive clear, so it will react nearly the same.

otakki 10-03-2016 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by vaelin (Post 6932166)

Indeed, it seems counter-intuitive to provide protection to the protection.

I have also heard that protection film ends up embedding a lot of dirt and debris if you travel frequently on highway with lots of blowing debris. As a result, the front end film needs replacement every 1-2 years.

vaelin 10-03-2016 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by XPEL (Post 6932190)
Can't speak for all the properties of all the different coatings on the market, but it has the same effect it does on a bare painted surface. So depending on the coating, it will make the film even easier to clean, more hydrophobic, etc. The top coat of the film is an automotive clear, so it will react nearly the same.

Great PC response. :) Thanks. I'll stick with your product exclusively and just replace the sections that need replacing over the years.

vaelin 10-03-2016 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by otakki (Post 6932193)
Indeed, it seems counter-intuitive to provide protection to the protection.

I have also heard that protection film ends up embedding a lot of dirt and debris if you travel frequently on highway with lots of blowing debris. As a result, the front end film needs replacement every 1-2 years.

Think that was true of the older, non-self healing PPF. My wife's 911 had that and yeah, it looks crappy, but it did protect the underlying paint. And it's a simple rip and replace.. which I fully intend on doing with XPEL Ultimate.