MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   My exhaust isn't as loud as before (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/641216-my-exhaust-isnt-loud-before.html)

DZ8222 10-17-2016 04:33 AM

My exhaust isn't as loud as before

I always drive in S+ mode, since it is loud and it pops and grunts, especially during downshifts and high rpm lift off.
But, it no longer makes that loud double pop when I lift off a high rpm anymore, instead it gives a very muted double pop :mercy:
What's happening!?
In the other hand, downshifts still makes the loud double pop, which is a relief. I hope this doesn't get muted too................

SBH- 10-17-2016 04:39 AM

hmmmm, never heard of such thing .. :confused:

pakoris 10-17-2016 05:27 AM

Have you taken the car for service? I heard the new software makes it quieter.

DZ8222 10-17-2016 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by pakoris (Post 6943871)
Have you taken to the car for service? I heard the new software makes it quieter.

No I didn't :nix:

dismantler 10-17-2016 06:51 AM

I have a C43 and I noticed the same. I think you have gotten used to it, so it is "less loud", but I also think the pops and stuff fade overtime.

DZ8222 10-17-2016 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by dismantler (Post 6943896)
I have a C43 and I noticed the same. I think you have gotten used to it, so it is "less loud", but I also think the pops and stuff fade overtime.

That I am 100% sure is not the case, since the double loud pop is still present at down shifts.

AV1 10-17-2016 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by DZ8222 (Post 6943860)
I always drive in S+ mode, since it is loud and it pops and grunts, especially during downshifts and high rpm lift off.
But, it no longer makes that loud double pop when I lift off a high rpm anymore, instead it gives a very muted double pop :mercy:
What's happening!?
In the other hand, downshifts still makes the loud double pop, which is a relief. I hope this doesn't get muted too................

Ecu controlled valves (3 separate sets) not opening up as much or anymore :nix:

Get it checked over by your dealer.

dismantler 10-17-2016 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DZ8222 (Post 6943899)
That I am 100% sure is not the case, since the double loud pop is still present at down shifts.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. It is just as loud on downshifts. When i said fade I was referring to the lift-off pops.

I noticed that my pops on lift offs come in later and are not as loud.

DZ8222 10-17-2016 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dismantler (Post 6943974)
Yes, you are absolutely correct. It is just as loud on downshifts. When i said fade I was referring to the lift-off pops.

I noticed that my pops on lift offs come in later and are not as loud.

So seems like it is not just me having the problem.
Looks like I need to bring it to service.

Biggiie 10-18-2016 08:39 AM

Just took mine in for a service last week, it was much quieter and runs much cooler too, my oil temperature used to be stratospheric (104°c) but now it settles at 88° C but it is quieter and i hate that :crazy:

Originally Posted by pakoris (Post 6943871)
Have you taken the car for service? I heard the new software makes it quieter.

DZ8222 10-18-2016 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiie (Post 6944980)
Just took mine in for a service last week, it was much quieter and runs much cooler too, my oil temperature used to be stratospheric (104°c) but now it settles at 88° C but it is quieter and i hate that :crazy:

:wall:

Fordgt40 10-18-2016 02:29 PM

Mine was quiet after a software update but it's gradually getting it's voice back.

insame1 10-18-2016 03:32 PM

Those "Pops" are just wasted fuel burning off in the in the down pipe. If there is new software making it quieter it is also probably making more efficient .

SBH- 10-18-2016 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by insame1 (Post 6945432)
Those "Pops" are just wasted fuel burning off in the in the down pipe. If there is new software making it quieter it is also probably making more efficient .

valid point!

Fordgt40 10-18-2016 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by insame1 (Post 6945432)

Didn't make the slightest difference to fuel consumption which to be honest it's only slightly better than my old 6.2

Shadwell 10-18-2016 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by DZ8222 (Post 6943860)
What's happening!?

I wonder if its due to the car having learned throtlle positions etc in the TCU and having softened the settings..

With nothing to lose i'd try a throttle reset (TCU) and see if it returns..

tmoneyC450amg 10-18-2016 09:25 PM

Sucks that this is happening to the perf exhausts...I remember my stock C450 setup also lost volume and intensity on the upshift pops, however, my exhaust has been getting gradually louder 2 months and 1500miles into running the Awe tuning touring setup

auditoamg 10-18-2016 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiie

That oil temp is off the charts!!! Glad it settled down.

DZ8222 10-19-2016 12:16 AM

I wonder if it is the fuel I use, I use Shell V-Power Nitro+

rongpanda 10-19-2016 03:26 AM

I let a friend of mine drive my car after I broke it in and he mentioned something about the exhaust not having broken in yet. We had another person standing by and watching the hoonage, and he agreed with the exhaust comment. I kind of just shrugged it off not knowing exactly what they were talking about.

Maybe they were on to something? Does the exhaust really get broken in, and you get less of the random fuel popping? The guy who drove my car knows quite a bit about cars, and he even races in his spare time with his own race spec cars. Maybe he was right about the exhaust breaking in.

Googling exhaust break-in, looks like some guys on a BMW forum were talking about their exhausts mellowing out after breaking in, so I think over time all of our performance exhausts will just not be as aggressive.

I just wish it would sound like it does on a cold start all the time.

MarkC63 10-19-2016 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by auditoamg (Post 6945681)
That oil temp is off the charts!!! Glad it settled down.

What is the normal oil operating temp? Mine runs at around 100 degrees, which at first I thought was really hot because the AMG display in the instrument cluster has the mid point for the engine oil at about 85 degrees, and 100 degrees is about 3/4 of the way along the gauge making 100 look pretty hot. But then I bought up the engine info on the Command Screen that shows Power, Torque, and temps. On that display 100 degrees is half way, with cold being down at 70 and hot being up around 130.
So what's normal?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4f7423c057.jpg

DZ8222 10-19-2016 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by rongpanda (Post 6945859)
I let a friend of mine drive my car after I broke it in and he mentioned something about the exhaust not having broken in yet. We had another person standing by and watching the hoonage, and he agreed with the exhaust comment. I kind of just shrugged it off not knowing exactly what they were talking about.

Maybe they were on to something? Does the exhaust really get broken in, and you get less of the random fuel popping? The guy who drove my car knows quite a bit about cars, and he even races in his spare time with his own race spec cars. Maybe he was right about the exhaust breaking in.

Googling exhaust break-in, looks like some guys on a BMW forum were talking about their exhausts mellowing out after breaking in, so I think over time all of our performance exhausts will just not be as aggressive.

I just wish it would sound like it does on a cold start all the time.

As much as I wish that this isn't the case...it seems to make sense...:tear:

SBH- 10-19-2016 04:00 AM

my oil would go up to 100 when I hit the highway and drive it for long hours , however it usually starts to cool down once I reach and cruise around the city. its not abnormal for it to hit 100 dude, nothing to worry about. however, it shouldn't exceed and/or stay at 100+ for a long time (that's what I observed from my car)

RDOCA 10-19-2016 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SBH- (Post 6945872)
my oil would go up to 100 when I hit the highway and drive it for long hours , however it usually starts to cool down once I reach and cruise around the city. its not abnormal for it to hit 100 dude, nothing to worry about. however, it should exceed and/or stay at 100+ for a long time (that's what I observed from my car)

I am in the US so it is in Fahrenheit but 100c is 212f and my car is about 213f all the time after warm up and always has been. If I really push in canyon driving it goes up some and if I drive easily at 70 it might be a little lower.
Trans is about 183f normally and will go up in 190s with hard driving in lower gears. :zoom:

SBH- 10-20-2016 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by RDOCA (Post 6946388)
I am in the US so it is in Fahrenheit but 100c is 212f and my car is about 213f all the time after warm up and always has been. If I really push in canyon driving it goes up some and if I drive easily at 70 it might be a little lower.
Trans is about 183f normally and will go up in 190s with hard driving in lower gears. :zoom:

its normal, same as mine