Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
C63s
C63s Coupe-Question

Hello all!

Just joined this forum, look like I will find a few good advices here

I am considering to get a C63s AMG, had the opportunity of seeing one in person last week (blue color) and it is definetely an amazing car.

Thing is it would be my first Mercedes and more important my first rear wheel drive car, what honestly worries me a little bit. I have always driven Audi quattro, currently Audi RS5, and not sure if I could have problems driving the C63s.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Couple of pics of the one I saw:

Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
First of all where do you live? do you have snow/ice frequently?
I came from a long line of AWD cars and this is my first RWD car also(explorer,WRX,JEEP, S4). I had very Minimal time driving anything but AWD cars. I picked up my car last Jan and immediately took it for snow tires. I had no issues at all driving it around for the first few months in the winter. The Audi with winter tires was a beast, no fear in that car even when there was 4-6 inches on the road. Since i got this car I have waited for the plow or taken the wife's car in those types of storms.
Other then the heavy snow I have found no issues with traction as long as I am easy on the throttle, but that is no different then in the summer since I got tuned.
The following users liked this post:
japamg (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:52 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by bgm130
First of all where do you live? do you have snow/ice frequently?
I came from a long line of AWD cars and this is my first RWD car also(explorer,WRX,JEEP, S4). I had very Minimal time driving anything but AWD cars. I picked up my car last Jan and immediately took it for snow tires. I had no issues at all driving it around for the first few months in the winter. The Audi with winter tires was a beast, no fear in that car even when there was 4-6 inches on the road. Since i got this car I have waited for the plow or taken the wife's car in those types of storms.
Other then the heavy snow I have found no issues with traction as long as I am easy on the throttle, but that is no different then in the summer since I got tuned.
Thanks

I live in Spain, so the worst could be some rainy days over the year...
Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
You have to be much more aware of road conditions with high powered rear wheel drive cars and ideally (in a safe place) get a feel for how they respond when the back end breaks traction.

Overtaking in rain in the C63 is not something you do without thinking and you don't just slam your foot down as you may have done in the Audis you've owned. Whilst not ideal you can just about drive an AWD in snow with summer tyres, you can't do that with the C63.

Overall, for these very reasons, I've tended to enjoy driving rear wheel drive cars more than AWDs.
japamg (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
MG PB, MG Midget, Triumph TR4, Morgan 4/4, Mustang, Audi R8
I came from an S4, and still have an R8. Been driving in the rain this winter (rare for CA), and will reflect the comments above. You want to have a care stabbing the gas in the wet, but having said that, the car won't truly go unless it downshifts. This should give plenty of warning in time to react. Braking, of course, is unaffected by AWD.

Biggest transition issue for me has been relearning the right amount of arm twitch when maneuvering. Initially, I was often oversteering the car. This has faded.

Must admit, If I lived in snow country I would drive something else in winter. The car has so little rear end grip in the dry, running it in snow seems like a waste.

Oh yeah, this car is desperately in need of AWD. The back end feels as if it's on ice even when the roads are dry. Be careful turning the wheel and stomping the loud pedal when wet. Otherwise, have at it.
japamg (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:43 PM

C63s
Thank you for your answers guys

I read what I expected to read.

Big issue for me given that I normally drive same way no matter the weather and not worrying about hard braking or accelerating in wet curves...

Let´s see, not convinced at all
Old 02-22-2017, 04:20 PM

C63s
By the way, what is the delivery time for this car?

Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63
I've just sold my Audi RS5, and a C63 Coupe is my replacement. I have owned a C63 before, but I've had two other high powered Audis (both S4s, the 2.7 twin turbo, and the 4.2).

The thing with the Audi's is that you can drive them like a go-kart. Squeeze and go. Brmm.

With the Mercedes it is definitely a bit livelier, but the traction control is there to pick everything up. In bad weather (snow) though it is no competition.

Why not give it a go? If you don't like it you can always flip it. Or go for the AWD E63 :-)

Best wishes
James
japamg (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 02:07 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by Jabes
I've just sold my Audi RS5, and a C63 Coupe is my replacement. I have owned a C63 before, but I've had two other high powered Audis (both S4s, the 2.7 twin turbo, and the 4.2).

The thing with the Audi's is that you can drive them like a go-kart. Squeeze and go. Brmm.

With the Mercedes it is definitely a bit livelier, but the traction control is there to pick everything up. In bad weather (snow) though it is no competition.

Why not give it a go? If you don't like it you can always flip it. Or go for the AWD E63 :-)

Best wishes
James
Thanks James, very helpful

And you are right, why not give it a go?

Best regards
Old 02-26-2017, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by japamg
Thanks

I live in Spain, so the worst could be some rainy days over the year...
Same as Australia, you will be fine. It would be the ideal upgrade for the RS5!
japamg (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
RWD all the way !
japamg (02-27-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
I came from an S5 to a C63s coupe here in PA where it does snow some. I just got snow tires and I'm very careful. The main difference is you have to be more careful on cold and wet roads and as others have said you have to be more aware of what you are doing. Be smart and cautious until you get the feel for the car and you will be fine. Take advantage of the AMG driving academy purchase reward program and test the limits of their cars on the track. That's what I'm doing in June at Circuit of the Americas.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tvall13:
bdpdx (03-09-2017), japamg (03-01-2017)