Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Rattle C63S coupe.

 
Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by playalistic View Post
Mine has started making this noise on shutdown as well now. Wonder if it's a symptom of the same issue?

https://youtu.be/6_Yhp1Mbbe4
hmm that sounds weird. Now im thinking if all of us with this rattling issue are even talking about the same thing


in my case, there is no rattle at idle. I only hear a hissing/rattle sound when under load between 2k 3k rpm and goes away if my exhaust isnt in S+.
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-01-2019, 12:43 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 368
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Got the car back they canít fix the rattle
slowc is online now  
Old 04-01-2019, 01:04 PM
  #53  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 26
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by untamedd View Post
hmm that sounds weird. Now im thinking if all of us with this rattling issue are even talking about the same thing


in my case, there is no rattle at idle. I only hear a hissing/rattle sound when under load between 2k 3k rpm and goes away if my exhaust isnt in S+.
Probably didn't make myself very clear but my car also does the 2k/3k rattle thing under load too. This is just a separate (well, maybe related) issue.
playalistic is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 01:04 PM
  #54  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 26
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by slowc View Post
Got the car back they canít fix the rattle
And they've just left it at that? Not good!
playalistic is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 01:05 PM
  #55  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 752
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes-Benz c63 AMG
Yeah I don't have that sound... definitely abnormal... maybe that's the next stage of valve rattling... though I don't know anyone with that issue... this is probably a first as far as I'm aware
skim7x is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 09:34 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Yeah I don't have that sound... definitely abnormal... maybe that's the next stage of valve rattling... though I don't know anyone with that issue... this is probably a first as far as I'm aware
I bet if my car had that sound and took it to the dealer, they would try to convince me that it is normal LOL
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-02-2019, 07:00 AM
  #57  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 26
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C63 Coupe
Trip to the dealer for me then
playalistic is offline  
Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 AM
  #58  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 211
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 C63s Coupe, 2018 BMW X3 M40i, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
Originally Posted by untamedd View Post
hmm that sounds weird. Now im thinking if all of us with this rattling issue are even talking about the same thing


in my case, there is no rattle at idle. I only hear a hissing/rattle sound when under load between 2k 3k rpm and goes away if my exhaust isnt in S+.
Same issue at 2500-3000 RPMs. That sounds like a different problem.
See63esS is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 09:59 AM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
So I decided to upload a video to check if you guys are experiencing the same sound? Listen for that rattle between that 2-3k rom range.
Attached Files
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-03-2019, 10:39 AM
  #60  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 752
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes-Benz c63 AMG
I don't have rattle on revs... Just under load... Yours reminds me of the wastegate rattle from my N54
skim7x is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 10:59 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
slowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 368
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
Originally Posted by untamedd View Post
So I decided to upload a video to check if you guys are experiencing the same sound? Listen for that rattle between that 2-3k rom range.
yeah.... no what the heck lol
slowc is online now  
Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 AM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
I don't have rattle on revs... Just under load... Yours reminds me of the wastegate rattle from my N54
how did you fix that?
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:53 AM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Got my AWE valve simulators. Hopefully I get time today to get to the exhaust shop and get rid of this H valve. Fingers crossed for this one because if this doesnt work then Iíll have no idea what to do
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-04-2019, 03:22 PM
  #64  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 144
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
I have the same issue, its when I accelerate when in a higher gear with lower RPMs than hitting a quick downshift to get the rpm up higher then accelerating.
MBzW205 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:35 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe

So happy to report that the rattling is a thing of the past now. Cut out the H-valve and replaced that pirtion with a regular straight pipe and connected a AWE valve simulator. Here is the bad boy causing me trouble
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-04-2019, 08:51 PM
  #66  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 752
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes-Benz c63 AMG
Strong work!! How is the exhaust sound now (aside from the rattle being gone)?
skim7x is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:03 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Strong work!! How is the exhaust sound now (aside from the rattle being gone)?
throatier in the lower revs and maybe a little less menacing at the top range but i need to drive more to see since i didnt really get a chance to go on the highway. Downshifts sound meaner though in S+ of course.

Last edited by untamedd; 04-04-2019 at 09:38 PM.
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Drove a bit more and ill share my final thoughts.. startups are more aggressive as the car seems to pop more. I do hear pops and crackles randomly even in C mode. The H valve would change the tone of the exhaust as you accelerated but as one would expect without the valve, the sound is constant as you now have a fully open H pipe. At least my car doesnt sound broken with all that annoying rattling!. Hope this solves some of your rattling issues!

Last edited by untamedd; 04-05-2019 at 08:12 AM.
untamedd is online now  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:26 AM
  #69  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
munis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,015
Received 174 Likes on 126 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by untamedd View Post
Drove a bit more and ill share my final thoughts.. startups are more aggressive as the car seems to pop more. I do hear pops and crackles randomly even in C mode. The H valve would change the tone of the exhaust as you accelerated but as one would expect without the valve, the sound is constant as you now have a fully open H pipe. At least my car doesnt sound broken with all that annoying rattling!. Hope this solves some of your rattling issues!

Nice to hear it worked man! Sounds like problem solved.
munis is online now  
The following users liked this post:
untamedd (04-05-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 PM
  #70  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 211
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 C63s Coupe, 2018 BMW X3 M40i, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
My rattle/clatter is fixed. Had it up in the air for a Service A and told my mechanic about the issue. Found a loose clamp on the wiring coming from the valve actuator. Problem solved.

Nothing that the worthless stealership would bother checking out or fixing.

Last edited by See63esS; 04-16-2019 at 11:27 PM.
See63esS is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by See63esS View Post
My rattle/clatter is fixed. Had it up in the air for a Service A and told my mechanic about the issue. Found a loose clamp on the wiring coming from the valve actuator. Problem solved.

Nothing that the worthless stealership would bother checking out our fixing.
feels like a new car without that stupid noise doesnt it!

And I agree, Mercedes dealerships are useless. Rarely do I have a good experience there. Every issue is normal according to them
untamedd is online now  
The following users liked this post:
See63esS (04-16-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:17 AM
  #72  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S Cabrio
I too have this problem... it was called an MB expert but nothing says it's a normal noise! I am forced to change the complete exhaust? Who found a solution?
MaxBB is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 PM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
untamedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 302
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by MaxBB View Post
I too have this problem... it was called an MB expert but nothing says it's a normal noise! I am forced to change the complete exhaust? Who found a solution?
i swear these mercedes dealers are the worst. Anyway my solution was to cut off the valve from the H pipe in the middle and replace that portion with a straight pipe. OR you can find someone selling their pipes and can just cut off the mid section and replace yours with it with the new valve. This is assuming your issue is the H-valve. Just check to see if the sound is coming from the middle of the car.
untamedd is online now  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:10 AM
  #74  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S Cabrio
Originally Posted by untamedd View Post
i swear these mercedes dealers are the worst. Anyway my solution was to cut off the valve from the H pipe in the middle and replace that portion with a straight pipe. OR you can find someone selling their pipes and can just cut off the mid section and replace yours with it with the new valve. This is assuming your issue is the H-valve. Just check to see if the sound is coming from the middle of the car.
Thanks ... the sound it makes is horrible and I honestly don't understand how Mercedes does not make a call
MaxBB is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 AM
  #75  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S Cabrio
no one was able to reproduce the noise? Mercedes wants audio proofs! Shameful!
MaxBB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: