MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Exhaust Rattle C63S coupe. (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/653885-exhaust-rattle-c63s-coupe.html)

speedpeddler 02-21-2017 01:19 PM

Exhaust Rattle C63S coupe.

Anyone else got it?
With the exhaust in "open" mode there is a distinct metallic rattle coming from the drivers side under a load that's driving me crazy. Sounds very much like the baffle or flapper in the exhaust is rattling around.
Anyone else having this issue? What did you do about it?
Haven't been to the dealer about it yet but will take it up on the first service.

amgsin 02-21-2017 07:22 PM

Yes it is a problem :( my Edition 1 has it and so far still waiting on MB and AMG engineering to send me new part, should be in end of March :((( annoying as hell the noise, but confirmed from MBUSA that i can drive it safely for now...

It started back in November and they replaced the Flap once already and lubricated is twice!!!it docent work, Its under warranty and they will fix it that i know for sure....

juse 02-21-2017 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by speedpeddler (Post 7062969)
Anyone else got it?
With the exhaust in "open" mode there is a distinct metallic rattle coming from the drivers side under a load that's driving me crazy. Sounds very much like the baffle or flapper in the exhaust is rattling around.
Haven't been to the dealer about it yet but will take it up on the first service.

can you make a video please?

DSawyer63 02-22-2017 09:17 AM

YESSSS, mine is doing the same thing. I'm hoping they still warranty it with my downpipes on but we will see...

amgsin 02-22-2017 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by juse (Post 7063555)
can you make a video please?

it's very hard to do so even the dealer couldn't get it so they can send it to AMG

sonystyle02 02-24-2017 01:21 PM

I don't have a W205 but when I had rattling in my exhausts (probably the valves), I took it to the dealer and it looks like there was a TSB out on it. They stocked the exhausts and swapped out the whole system for me same day.

A100 02-24-2017 08:26 PM

Anyone else got it?

Yes same issue. Been into the dealer once for a lubrication which did nothing. Going back again this week.

It seems to occur around 2500-3000rpms under acceleration and sounds like some flapping but not in a good way.

Trim105 02-25-2017 03:02 PM

Anyone else got it?

I had the same problem. The motors of the exhaust flaps are causing the rattle (hence why you only hear it when the perf. exhaust is activated). In the end they had to replace the entire exhaust system. Was not impressed as the car was 2 months old at the time but no rattling since then.

A100 03-02-2017 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by amgsin (Post 7063340)
Yes it is a problem :( my Edition 1 has it and so far still waiting on MB and AMG engineering to send me new part, should be in end of March :((( annoying as hell the noise, but confirmed from MBUSA that i can drive it safely for now...

It started back in November and they replaced the Flap once already and lubricated is twice!!!it docent work, Its under warranty and they will fix it that i know for sure....

do you know which part they are replacing?

amgsin 03-02-2017 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by A100 (Post 7071583)
do you know which part they are replacing?

Its Not a definite yet since they don't have a solution, it could be the small section where flap is, last time it didn't work. But my service guy said it's a full front to back.

Trim105 03-02-2017 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by amgsin (Post 7071588)
Its Not a definite yet since they don't have a solution, it could be the small section where flap is, last time it didn't work. But my service guy said it's a full front to back.

Replacing the flap or trying to repair the section where the flaps are won't work. they tried the same with mine. since your situation appears to be exactly what I went through I'd say your car needs a new exhaust like I mentioned earlier. It's not a big issue as its still under warranty :y

Syndicate949 07-09-2018 06:33 PM

Anyone else got it?

I've been having issues with the dealer replacing my exhuast for this rattle. Now, it seems like at times the flap is totally shut and my car is muted and other times fully open. Anyone have a copy of the TSB or can recommend a dealer in Socal (OC) that can help me?

playalistic 07-11-2018 05:41 AM

Just to add my C63 has developed this issue lately. It comes in around 3k RPM, sounding like metallic castanets and drives me crazy. I've not raised it with my dealer yet as the car is soon due a service. Hopefully I can hold out until then.

speedpeddler 07-12-2018 01:26 PM

Had mine into the dealer twice now for this issue. They did not replace the exhaust system but have ALMOST fixed it. Don’t know exactly what they did but the rattle is almost entirely gone now. Can still faintly hear a little something vibrating with the windows down under hard acceleration but it’s hardly noticeable unless your looking for it.

WhiteKnight16 12-27-2018 02:18 PM

Any of you guys find a solution to this problem? Mine is doing the same thing but only started after installing downpipes. Thinking the air is too much for the catless downpipes I have now? Not sure but was wondering what you guys were able to solve.

Did the dealer give you trouble since some of you have downpipes as well?

untamedd 12-27-2018 06:18 PM

I get this too.. it literally sounds like a rattle snake.. i wonder if its the same thing you guys are talking about? Kind of like a hissing sound?

obbob 12-27-2018 09:24 PM

Mine started rattling very recently immediately after my 3 year service. Haven't had the time to take it back yet.

See63esS 03-25-2019 01:19 PM

Anybody have any luck with this or can provide specifics if it was fixed/replaced? I have taken to two dealer and they say its normal or can't replicate. Such MB/Dealer BS.

skim7x 03-25-2019 01:55 PM

I haven't' been able to replicate it for the dealer either... but will need to before I install DP's for sure...

speedpeddler 03-27-2019 10:42 AM

My rattle came back worse than ever and has been back to the dealer four times for this without success. They say they either can’t duplicate the rattle or can’t find anything wrong. So, at this point I think I’m going to have to insist that they replace the exhaust. I have a good relationship with my SA and the dealer so hopefully they’ll do something.

skim7x 03-27-2019 11:35 AM

Just took my car to the dealership and drove with the mechanic to show him the issue. He immediately knew what it was and said it was a common problem on the GTS's... Sounded confident he could fix it since he knew exactly what the problem was. Will keep you guys updated. My rattle is best heard in Comfort Mode, PE ACTIVATED, 3rd gear, 2.5k RPM, foot down 50-75%... it only lasts through about 3-3.5k, so you have to let mechanic know exactly when to listen.

playalistic 03-27-2019 11:45 AM

Exactly the same conditions mine is reproducible under. Will be interested in the solution, if any!

untamedd 03-27-2019 11:48 AM

This is annoying af.. no one knows what the issue is. My dealer gave up and said its because of the secondary cat delete. Im at eurocharged now and I believe even they are about to put their hands up and say they have no idea what is causing it!

untamedd 03-27-2019 04:06 PM

UPDATE: Looks like we have found the source of this hissing/rattle sound for my car at least. Went to Eurocharged and there wasnt anything wrong with the secondary cat delete. The exhaust valves are the culprit since the noise goes away as soon as I close the valves. I clearly never drive with the valves closed so never discovered this but called the dealership who refused to take a look at it blaming the cat delete and they will send me on a road test with their head technician so Im hoping now that they will take care of the issue.

skim7x 03-27-2019 04:24 PM

Yeah, that's what my MB mechanic told me it was this morning... glad you confirmed it. I did tell him it only happens with the exhaust valves open. Good thing I am getting this taken care of before my DP's =D