2017 C63S discounts? - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices

2017 C63S discounts?

Old 04-18-2017, 04:23 PM

2017 C63S discounts?

I'm C63S sedan shopping and I read in another thread that somebody received a 20% discount off MSRP on a 2017. I talked via PM to him and he mentioned his was built in November 2016 and the dealer unloaded the car to him in April. It sounds like once they hit that 4 or 5 month of inventory on hand that they may be more willing to deal. I also think that 3 years into its production cycle, this car is obviously not selling as fast which will should work to our advantage. The fact that the Giulia QV and the C63 S coupe are around helps as well. I would like to hear what percentage off MSRP others have been receiving as of late on new sedan purchases.

Also, do we expect a facelift and/or engine improvements on the C63 S for the 2018 model year?

Discuss.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:06 PM

I believe a facelift is coming. The C-Class came out in 14 as a 15 model so a facelift should be right around the corner. If he got 20% off, good for him. That seems like a lot. On an $80K car that $16K off!!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:22 PM

I found 7 cars in my area at 7 different dealers that are the color I like with the options I like. All of them were delivered in December of 16 to these dealers. This tells me that the Sedans are not moving very well. The new facelift cars I am hearing are going to start production in July. I haven't tried yet, but i'm tending to think that 20% off is not unrealistic to hit if I try all 7 dealers. As the months go by, my chances get even higher. Perhaps wishful thinking, but who knows......

Last edited by noone3000; 04-18-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
I found 7 cars in my area at 7 different dealers that are the color I like with the options I like. All of them were delivered in December of 16 to these dealers. This tells me that the Sedans are not moving very well. The new facelift cars I am hearing are going to start production in July. I haven't tried yet, but i'm tending to think that 20% off is not unrealistic to hit if I try all 7 dealers. As the months go by, my chances get even higher. Perhaps wishful thinking, but who knows......
The '18s are not facelift cars and you are right about the production date for the new year.

Last edited by shoe3k; 04-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM

I think that 20% off has some other discounts most people can't get built in. The most recent 20% off on the forum was the dealer demo car I believe which is completely different than a brand new 0 miles car.

You ahould be be able to get a decent amount off but I wouldn't go in expecting 20%. That's a lot of money off.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

20% has to have something else going--- the #1 dealer in the US only has 12% from msrp to triple net of hold back. There has to be more to the story as a car sitting on the lot for 4 or 5 months is still not worth a dealer cutting 8% additional money on this msrp level. Plus a November build means a Jan delivery or close to that (retail ready). There is no trunk money in the car as well. The standard front end msrp to invoice is 6% and then there is anywhere from 4% to 6% in holdback depending on the dealer and its volume sales. I would aim for 6% off or more depending on the dealer allocation and the market you are shopping in.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by shoe3k View Post
The '18s are not facelift cars and you are right about the production date for the new year.
Why wouldn't the 18 be a facelift? Isn't the standard c class getting a facelift for the 18 MY?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
20% has to have something else going--- the #1 dealer in the US only has 12% from msrp to triple net of hold back. There has to be more to the story as a car sitting on the lot for 4 or 5 months is still not worth a dealer cutting 8% additional money on this msrp level. Plus a November build means a Jan delivery or close to that (retail ready). There is no trunk money in the car as well. The standard front end msrp to invoice is 6% and then there is anywhere from 4% to 6% in holdback depending on the dealer and its volume sales. I would aim for 6% off or more depending on the dealer allocation and the market you are shopping in.
I'm not sure about invoice or trunk money... Just don't know how that stuff works...

However, in December 2016, I had a couple of dealerships offer 15% off MSRP on a my16 c63s sedan without too much effort.

I held out a bit, cause I'm a cheap sob, and eventually got 17% off in early January.

Different situation for sure... They definitely needed to move some inventory, but my gut says you can get more than 6% if you're​ vigilant.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
I'm not sure about invoice or trunk money... Just don't know how that stuff works...

However, in December 2016, I had a couple of dealerships offer 15% off MSRP on a my16 c63s sedan without too much effort.

I held out a bit, cause I'm a cheap sob, and eventually got 17% off in early January.

Different situation for sure... They definitely needed to move some inventory, but my gut says you can get more than 6% if you're​ vigilant.
Agreed. There is a lot of sedan inventory out there from what I can see and it's not flying off the lot.

The guy I was talking to here on the forum got 20% off his C63S Sedan which included a $2k fleet discount. It was a 17 and a new car. He held off on purchasing for 3 months from his first initial test drive and held firm and eventually got his deal. The car was on the lot for 5 months.

I also have a fleet discount.

20% off a Sedan would indeed be a strong deal and is what I will aim for and wait for. If I'm going to pay retail, I may as well buy the latest and greatest like the Alpha QV sedan.

Last edited by noone3000; 04-19-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

I wasnt all too clear sorry, I was thinking coupes (read the OP post too fast) and they just came out at the end of 2016 and were limited in supply at the time. I dont see the sedan being as tough to deal on since they have been out for a longer time and have had already a few years of distribution. A dealer would probably toss a sedan out faster if its been sitting for a while and sucking up flooring costs where they have to write the car down. Once this begins (its usually 2% a month) then they are more than willing to push it out below their net net cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vic55 For This Useful Post:
noone3000 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

At times MBUSA overproduces a certain model or sees that model not moving off the showroom floors so they throw money at the dealer to incent movement of the car. If its between the factory and dealership with the dealer discretion to share with the customer its generally called "trunk" money or "money in the trunk". A public rebate on a car is called just that; a factory to customer rebate.

You wont see trunk money all too much on the AMG models since they are in more limited production. But recently, for example, the 2016 AMG GTS was not moving so the factory gave 10k in trunk money to the dealer to incent movement below the triple net cost of the car. The S63 coupe had 15k as well. Sometimes its regional in nature. Back in 2010 the Western Region had way too many E63's on the ground so they offered to that region only- 20k in trunk. I got a 110k new E63 for 73k (trunk plus discount). Remember though that trunk is their incentive to sell the car and it might not always be shared or partially shared- you would never know but the dealer would just pull the price down, sell the car, and cash in the trunk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vic55 For This Useful Post:
Palpatine (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 PM

At times MBUSA overproduces a certain model or sees that model not moving off the showroom floors so they throw money at the dealer to incent movement of the car. If its between the factory and dealership with the dealer discretion to share with the customer its generally called "trunk" money or "money in the trunk". A public rebate on a car is called just that; a factory to customer rebate.

You wont see trunk money all too much on the AMG models since they are in more limited production. But recently, for example, the 2016 AMG GTS was not moving so the factory gave 10k in trunk money to the dealer to incent movement below the triple net cost of the car. The S63 coupe had 15k as well. Sometimes its regional in nature. Back in 2010 the Western Region had way too many E63's on the ground so they offered to that region only- 20k in trunk. I got a 110k new E63 for 73k (trunk plus discount). Remember though that trunk is their incentive to sell the car and it might not always be shared or partially shared- you would never know but the dealer would just pull the price down, sell the car, and cash in the trunk.
Vic - What does this mean exactly, particularly the "triple net" part?
'the #1 dealer in the US only has 12% from msrp to triple net of hold back.'

Is there any way at all to find out what kind of trunk money a dealer has or should I start my offer at even lower than 20% and work up from there?

The way these sedans have been sitting for so long makes me wonder what I SHOULD be instead buying.......

Last edited by noone3000; 04-19-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ill do my best to explain but its not gospel:

Generally there is about 6% from MSRP to dealer invoice... then there is another 3 stages behind the invoice in the form of holdback. Holdback is how dealers stay alive outside of selling cars for over dealer invoice and its usually applicable on blow out cars where they are just trying to move metal. This amount is between 4 and 6% behind the invoice. Some dealers who have low sales will have holdback in the 4% range and then big stores like Fletcher Jones Newport will have over 6%. If a store has done a remodel they can improve their holdback and if they have an AMG Performance Section; that can improve it too. So "triple net" is the full monty off from MSRP to bottom line dealer cost (or the amount they actually pay the factory for the car). So when a dealer is selling a car for "invoice" they still have money to hold and they need this to help them stay alive. Not all stores have fixed ops (service, body shop, parts, etc) that cover their costs so hold back is a necessary piece to operate in the black.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Is there any way at all to find out what kind of trunk money a dealer has or should I start my offer at even lower than 20% and work up from there?

The way these sedans have been sitting for so long makes me wonder what I SHOULD be instead buying.......
Trunk is not public and I dont think there is anything on the C63 sedan. You can start at 20 but I really dont think you will get that. A dealer is probably more interested in holding gross and selling it for 12% off which they can probably do by just adjusting their price on autotrader or cars.com
Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM

Trunk is not public and I dont think there is anything on the C63 sedan. You can start at 20 but I really dont think you will get that. A dealer is probably more interested in holding gross and selling it for 12% off which they can probably do by just adjusting their price on autotrader or cars.com
Vic - Appreciate the feedback provided in this conversation.

What percentage off MSRP do you think is the actual cost of the sedan?

Does MB have rules against listing new cars at less than MSRP on 3rd party car sales sites? I think they do which is why you never see a new car discounted much if any on these sites.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Vic - Appreciate the feedback provided in this conversation.

Does MB have rules against listing new cars at less than MSRP on 3rd party car sales sites? I think they do which is why you never see a new car discounted much if any on these sites.
Im not sure of advertising rules that the dealers have but I have seen several GTS models (16's) priced well under msrp on Cars.com. Its highly un regulated and dealers pull this crap all the time even if they are not supposed to.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Thanks Vic... appreciate the detailed explanations.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 PM

Why wouldn't the 18 be a facelift? Isn't the standard c class getting a facelift for the 18 MY?
Where are you getting information that the MY18 will get a facelift? You have a source?

AFAIK, MY19 will be the facelift. Historically 4th MY is the facelift for the C class.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Where are you getting information that the MY18 will get a facelift? You have a source?

AFAIK, MY19 will be the facelift. Historically 4th MY is the facelift for the C class.
As far as I am aware, the W205 series debuted in late 2014 as a MY 2015. Therefore, MY 2018, would be the 4th MY, correct?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+w205+facelift
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM

my friend just got 10 k off an 85 K 2017 C63 S COUPE
and the dealer had a 2016 GTS MSRP 244 k that they offered for 212 k, new not titled
Old 04-20-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by pghc63 View Post
and the dealer had a 2016 GTS MSRP 244 k that they offered for 212 k, new not titled
Not surprising. The deals are there. You just have to ask.

I'm looking at a Sedan which should be even easier.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pghc63 View Post
Huh... there is no GTS at 244k but Im sure you meant 144k and there are a few 16's at that exact MSRP (black with CCB's and missing some other needed performance options). These cars have 10k trunk if not more now plus the margin so the dealers are highly motivated.

I also "heard" there is 1500 trunk money on all C63's (coupes and sedans).
Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM

thanks Vic
I meant 144 down to 112
and you are right , it has ccb brakes and I think it was black
Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 PM

does anyone here know if the 1500 "trunk" or MB credit can be combined with the 2k USAA incentive? Sales guys from Mercedes Manhattan told me its not, but just wanted to get a second opinion.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM

The first and only dealer I tried out of 8 who I presented a 20% off MSRP offer on a sedan countered with a best offer of 6% off MSRP with an additional $2K off using my fleet incentive.

If others are getting 13% off coupes and 20% off sedans, I want that too.

I will wait and keep shopping.

I'll be able to score a Giulia Quad in December at this meager discount!