MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   2017 C63 AMG break-in questions.. I know I know, its been asked before but... (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/668068-2017-c63-amg-break-questions-i-know-i-know-its-been-asked-before-but.html)

David Abdi 05-27-2017 11:58 PM

2017 C63 AMG break-in questions.. I know I know, its been asked before but...

Hi guys,

I purchased a 2017 C63 AMG Cab (non-s) on monday and let's just say I've never been more thrilled in my life. A little bit about my background, Mercedes' and BMW has been the car of choice in my family. I had a 370z for a while and that was cool but I needed to go back to what I was used to, German sports-cars.

My question. I picked up the car with about 23 miles on it and drove it home, about another 60 miles, so say about 23 total. I read a little bit about breaking it in in the manual but didn't care too much about it as this is not my first rodeo and know how cars should be driven and what not fresh from the dealership. However I read a little bit more into and saw that it is a somewhat meticulous break-in period and it seems like they take it pretty serious. Obviously not too serious since the salesman didn't say anything about it, but it still seems note worthy.

Long story short. I've driven it pretty gentle from the beginning with the exception of 1 kick down on the freeway driving home from the dealership and a few quick blasts coming out of corners. It has been driven in "C" the entire time with the exception of last night in which I threw it in sport mode (not the sport+) and zipped around town for a little bit taking care of a couple things (8 miles total tops). I came home and read a little more into the break in and now I really just want to take it easy on the car for the rest of the break in period, which is about 850 miles (it has about 150 give or take now).

I've done some research and it seems like everything is going to be fine, but the obsessive compulsive side I've me wanted to reach out to my fellow AMG owners and get some feed back.

If I take it was for the next 850 miles or so and follow the break in procedure, is everything going to break in properly without any issues given that I did kick it down on the freeway once and zipped it around in sport mode for a little bit?

Any feedback/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

David

Souriall91 05-28-2017 12:30 AM

You should be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just as long as you're not "doing burnouts on the dealer lot" as some members did.

Follow the break in but don't worry about the little you've done. It's probably more important that you let your car get to operating temperature before running it hard. I always have the AMG screen up so I know.

I had plenty of times where I didn't follow break in but 98% of the time I did and I'm not worried.

Your sales person absolutely should have stressed the break in though. I'm not sure why they missed that. My dealer wouldn't even let me go above 4K RPM's when I test drove one of the cars. They just had me come back in when they got a used one.

Best place to find the break in info is the little sticker on the windshield. Unless they took it off. Hope that helps.

18bora 05-28-2017 12:38 AM

To break-in any of my cars, I normally take it easy the first 100-200 miles. After that, I try to get on it here and there, after proper warm-up. After 500 miles, I drive "normal". Before my first oil change (between 3k-5k miles, not sooner) I beat the crap out of it a few times, to let everything seat-up and any metal shavings loose.

Most importantly is not to get on it until it's properly warmed up, oil/water up to temp; also proper cool down. Braking-in anything is all about heat cycles and varying speeds/RPM

David Abdi 05-28-2017 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Souriall91 (Post 7162470)
You should be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just as long as you're not "doing burnouts on the dealer lot" as some members did.

Follow the break in but don't worry about the little you've done. It's probably more important that you let your car get to operating temperature before running it hard. I always have the AMG screen up so I know.

I had plenty of times where I didn't follow break in but 98% of the time I did and I'm not worried.

Your sales person absolutely should have stressed the break in though. I'm not sure why they missed that. My dealer wouldn't even let me go above 4K RPM's when I test drove one of the cars. They just had me come back in when they got a used one.

Best place to find the break in info is the little sticker on the windshield. Unless they took it off. Hope that helps.

Cool thank you! I can have a little peace of mind now and continue breaking it in properly. Thanks again!

David Abdi 05-28-2017 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 18bora (Post 7162472)
To break-in any of my cars, I normally take it easy the first 100-200 miles. After that, I try to get on it here and there, after proper warm-up. After 500 miles, I drive "normal". Before my first oil change (between 3k-5k miles, not sooner) I beat the crap out of it a few times, to let everything seat-up and any metal shavings loose.

Most importantly is not to get on it until it's properly warmed up, oil/water up to temp; also proper cool down. Braking-in anything is all about heat cycles and varying speeds/RPM

I feel the same way. I think the instructions in the owners manual are the safest bet, but I think that any kind of variable acceleration as long as it isn't very aggressive for a long period of time would be ok. Best to stick with manufacturer's recommendations though.

Thanks for your input!