Sponsored by:

BIG Rain = Hydrolock ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
BIG Rain = Hydrolock ?

This vlogger says he didn't go boating, just drove in heavy rain. Does the V8 Biturbo suck in air so heartily that you shouldn't drive in heavy rain... not drive fast... not drive in sport mode? There do seem to be a lot of hydrolock horror stories out there.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
that idiot almost crashed his car doing a burn out so he could get MORE VIEWERS.

if you don't know how to drive a car, GTFO. just another dude trying to get internet famous because he has more money than other people.

who crashes a car doing a burn out? Mustang much?

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
I doubt it. I trust Mercedes testing more than I do some wannabe famous YouTube loser.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
I've driven my C400 through some pretty serious rain, and even a flooded road... No hydrolock, or ANY issues relating to the drive train for that matter.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 C63s AMG
My friend had an M3, and he also lived in Pennsylvania just like this youtuber and he hydrolocked his car because he ran through some flooded water that he said wasnt that much. The video also implies that he runs through some flood, I think that the state just needs better drainage cause apparently they flood a lot. I dont think its a car problem tho.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe 2018 Ford Raptor 2017 Corvette Z06 2013 Mercedes C63 2012 Mercedes C63 BS
Take it from someone who lives in florida where it pours and pours and pours, driven at LEAST 2k miles in rain and heavy rain at that and my motor is running stronger than ever.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
It rains a fair bit in Sydney and haven't faced any issues like this... touch wood.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
I live in Houston, which with the rainfall we've had the last few years should be completely under water by now. Had no issues with my car. Have driven in absolute torrential rain for 3 straight hours each way driving back and forth from the rainy 2015 F1 race in Austin (and going pretty fast most of the way). No issues. Drove through 2 or 3 inches of flood waters a handful of times to make it out of an area I knew would flood badly. No issues.

People need to understand what a car can and can't go through when it comes to standing water. Granted that's easy for me to says since I live in and around the area of Houston that is always on the national news for being underwater. I've watched others for many years learn these lessons the hard way.

Last edited by msd3075; 08-09-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
C63 AMG S Coupe (Sept. 2017)
This guy and that Maximus black kid are one in the same. YouTube jerkoffs trying to scrape a living out of YouTube sensational videos.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
UK owner here, we've had some pretty heavy rain recently, no issues, even at high speed.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S
I daily drive mine, I've been in rain 3 times now in the past 60 days that was so heavy the Distronic Plus was unavailable and most cars were pulled off the road, I've had no issues with this.

I'd suspect this person either drove into a very large puddle with the throttle open or decided to clean his engine bay with a pressure washer, then go for a spirited drive.

I'm interested to hear more FACTS about this but right now I'd suspect it's an ID10T error...
Old 08-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Originally Posted by msd3075
I live in Houston, which with the rainfall we've had the last few years should be completely under water by now. Had no issues with my car. Have driven in absolute torrential rain for 3 straight hours each way driving back and forth from the rainy 2015 F1 race in Austin (and going pretty fast most of the way). No issues. Drove through 2 or 3 inches of flood waters a handful of times to make it out of an area I knew would flood badly. No issues.

People need to understand what a car can and can't go through when it comes to standing water. Granted that's easy for me to says since I live in and around the area of Houston that is always on the national news for being underwater. I've watched others for many years learn these lessons the hard way.
me too man, I get paranoid about this. If it's raining bad I'll just park in elevated garage and just wait it out. I'm moving to rice military area hopefully it isn't prone to flooding.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM

19 E63s
Originally Posted by zdonner
I daily drive mine, I've been in rain 3 times now in the past 60 days that was so heavy the Distronic Plus was unavailable and most cars were pulled off the road, I've had no issues with this.

I'd suspect this person either drove into a very large puddle with the throttle open or decided to clean his engine bay with a pressure washer, then go for a spirited drive.

I'm interested to hear more FACTS about this but right now I'd suspect it's an ID10T error...
Just want to point out this is not a logical way of thinking about this. A sample size of 1 (you) and your experiences in no way relates to scientific evidence that this car can or cannot deal with water. I don't know what happened, I don't know if he drove in standing water or not, but just because you haven't had an issue doesn't mean any data can be extrapolated from that.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jkob5
Just want to point out this is not a logical way of thinking about this. A sample size of 1 (you) and your experiences in no way relates to scientific evidence that this car can or cannot deal with water. I don't know what happened, I don't know if he drove in standing water or not, but just because you haven't had an issue doesn't mean any data can be extrapolated from that.
You realize, of course, that this also means that no data can be extrapolated from the claims of the youtube star, right?

I'll also point that the person you quoted isn't the only individual saying they've had no problems in the rain.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 PM

19 E63s
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
You realize, of course, that this also means that no data can be extrapolated from the claims of the youtube star, right?

I'll also point that the person you quoted isn't the only individual saying they've had no problems in the rain.
I never said you could base anything on the youtuber's story.

It doesn't matter how many people in here say they haven't had a problem, hell I've driven through some bad storms, it doesn't matter. All I'm saying is don't make generalizations based on your individual experiences.

Last edited by jkob5; 08-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 PM

2013 C63 AMG
OK, so what's your point, no thread on any forum that relies on subjective reports of issues should be allowed because they don't stand up to scientific rigor?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
I watched the entire thing..... he admits a car coming the other way while he was going thru a puddle tossed a wave at him....

aka it must have been deep enough that the wave must have run up pretty high to fill up the intakes etc...

not surprised he hydrolocked....

Mike
Old 08-10-2017, 03:06 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by jkob5
me too man, I get paranoid about this. If it's raining bad I'll just park in elevated garage and just wait it out. I'm moving to rice military area hopefully it isn't prone to flooding.

With the recent Memorial Day and Tax Day floods, people have fresh in their mind the flooding from overflowing creeks/bayous that usually take days (and sometimes weeks) to subside, but the thing that will catch you out while driving is the flash floods we get, much like what happened Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Everywhere in Houston is susceptible to flash flooding if a storm either decides to park itself overtop of you or if you get a training effect. Flat topography coupled with concrete everywhere means we have to rely on the drainage systems on all the roadways, and pretty much any street drainage system can be overwhelmed if it gets enough water quickly.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:58 PM

19 E63s
With the recent Memorial Day and Tax Day floods, people have fresh in their mind the flooding from overflowing creeks/bayous that usually take days (and sometimes weeks) to subside, but the thing that will catch you out while driving is the flash floods we get, much like what happened Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Everywhere in Houston is susceptible to flash flooding if a storm either decides to park itself overtop of you or if you get a training effect. Flat topography coupled with concrete everywhere means we have to rely on the drainage systems on all the roadways, and pretty much any street drainage system can be overwhelmed if it gets enough water quickly.
Yeah about a week ago I was driving home when it started to rain hard. By the time I got to beltway / westheimer, westheimer had started to flood, few inches to the point you couldn't' see the road stripes cars had to drive on the lane closest to center. That was scary enough and then you have the idiots in large suvs driving fast in the flooded lanes sending a huge wake towards all the cars in the center lanes. Many ****s were yelled. It stopped raining or otherwise we would have been flooded.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I live on Cypresswood in the Champions area near 249 and I get nervous every time it starts to rain. Had a moat around my place for a few days last year, and lots of people lost bottom floor furniture, beds, etc.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 PM

19 E63s
Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
I live on Cypresswood in the Champions area near 249 and I get nervous every time it starts to rain. Had a moat around my place for a few days last year, and lots of people lost bottom floor furniture, beds, etc.
yeah man NW has got it rough the past couple of years.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Did your ride arrive? 😀
Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 PM

'15 C63S
I live 249/Louetta and grew up in the Champions area. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've seen Cypresswood underwater. I drive it everyday to/from work (office is at 1960/Stuebner), and the time I mentioned above about 2" to 3" of water was inching my way along Cypresswood by Meyer Park after a typical summer rainstorm started to flood the road. Had to make my way to that Catholic church parking lot and wait it out.

On a side note, I see another C63S every so often in the morning on Cypresswood headed west toward 249 at Cutten as I'm either waiting to turn or am heading east. Usually 7:30ish in the mroning. Might be you from what you said above.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:14 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Did your ride arrive? 😀
Not yet. The dealer called in early July to tell me it was already built and in the US, but haven't heard anything since. I'm hoping before the end of the month.

I live 249/Louetta and grew up in the Champions area. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've seen Cypresswood underwater. I drive it everyday to/from work (office is at 1960/Stuebner), and the time I mentioned above about 2" to 3" of water was inching my way along Cypresswood by Meyer Park after a typical summer rainstorm started to flood the road. Had to make my way to that Catholic church parking lot and wait it out.

On a side note, I see another C63S every so often in the morning on Cypresswood headed west toward 249 at Cutten as I'm either waiting to turn or am heading east. Usually 7:30ish in the mroning. Might be you from what you said above.
I wish it was me that you saw but I'm currently driving a 2014 Porsche Cayman S. I moved up here in 2014... the area isn't that bad but the flooding is ridiculous. I used to live down near Lake Jackson/Freeport, so I'm used to weather but man... the roads get covered in standing water fast around here.

I actually haven't seen that many W205 AMG C63/S around here... I see a silver C63S sedan on 1960 from time to time, and I've seen a debadged black sedan that I think is a C63S based on the red brake calipers. Not even sure I've seen a coupe yet, only a couple cabs.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
I watched the entire thing..... he admits a car coming the other way while he was going thru a puddle tossed a wave at him....

aka it must have been deep enough that the wave must have run up pretty high to fill up the intakes etc...

not surprised he hydrolocked....

Mike

*To address a previous comment*

Though I did not perform a scientifically accredited test to come to my *OPINION* of this subject, the aforementioned point from the video does fall in line with the line of thinking when making my comment of how it likely happened.

The internet is a melting pot of people, don't rush to your panic room the first time someone says scary things.

It rained extremely heavy for 4/5 days this week during my commute and even another day during my drive home of extreme rain wherein my DistronicPlus was unavailable again, my car still runs well despite my 32 mile commute.

Perhaps I should start a YouTube channel and tell positive stories about my C63S?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIG Rain = Hydrolock ?