C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active sound module

Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
C63s(lost)/E250/GTR(Sold)/GTS(Carbonerre)
Originally Posted by HarrySeaward
Have you been able to find a memory function to keep the engine in the last performance mode used? ie. If I turn the car off in Sport +, the next time I restart the car it starts back in Sport +?

Do you have to remove the ECU to reprogram these features or can you access it via obdii?
POSSIBLE,I will look fot it. And I do not need ECU remove. Flash( coding) through OBD.
Update:Good news:I found the coding for Driving Program memory function.
Bad news:Its not permanent memory, only allow you keep the Last mode function for 4Hrs Max since engine off.

Last edited by srO_Michael_Orz; 06-22-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
WOW! I just installed the Active Sound Module from Cete Automotive and the difference is amazing. The low RPM exhaust note is so much deeper - you can really feel the vibrations through the car. It's exceeded my expectations! I also get small pops and crackles now on downshifts in comfort mode which is an unexpected bonus.
I opted for the Cete Automotive module because I wanted the exhaust values to continue to be controlled from the button on the console and to honour the dynamic driving modes. I just couldn't face making the exhaust button redundant!
It's more expensive than the ASR module, and you do have to tap into the CANBUS, but the quality of the product is top notch and the install was a breeze - took 10 minutes. Highly recommend it.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Fordgt40
Although the module didn’t do anything on my U.K. 2018 model I have to say the company is top notch, I contacted Daniel and without question I got a refund less postage cost when I returned the module, such a shame it didn’t work on my car.
I had the same issue. 2018 US spec C63s.. I wish someone would come out with one for our cars. Dinan piggyback on the way for me.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I just installed my ASR. It is louder with S+ and Race. The bangs/downshifts are louder for sure. However, the system does default back to the flaps being closed from time to time. Am i missing something?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by WellesleyGL
I had the same issue. 2018 US spec C63s.. I wish someone would come out with one for our cars. Dinan piggyback on the way for me.
What's the issue with the 2018's vs. the 2017's?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C63S
Hey Aussie Owners, anyone looking to sell their ASR for the C63S? Let me know!

Cheers and thanks.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
What's the issue with the 2018's vs. the 2017's?
Nobody seems to know, it just doesn’t make any difference to the noise on 2018’s, didn’t on mine anyway, it keeps the valves open but no difference in sound.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63S, 2014 X5 40D
Talking

[QUOTE=BiTurboLuv;7500802]Hey Aussie Owners, anyone looking to sell their ASR for the C63S? Let me know

No way, it works very well!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Guys can anyone here tell me why does the C63s performance exhaust have two H pipes between the two banks, one valved and one regular? If there is one H pipe down the line which is not valved, doesn't it negate the first one being closed or not?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 AM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by munis
Guys can anyone here tell me why does the C63s performance exhaust have two H pipes between the two banks, one valved and one regular? If there is one H pipe down the line which is not valved, doesn't it negate the first one being closed or not?
The valved linked pipe is the only one as far as I know.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The valved linked pipe is the only one as far as I know.
I see two. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM

C63 amg esate
I see two. Correct me if I am wrong.
It certainly looks like it, you could be right but is it securing between the two pipes, when I get chance I’ll have a look under mine, have a look at the YouTube Chris Harris road and track test on the C63, about half way through the vid he shows the the exhaust system
Old 07-20-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It certainly looks like it, you could be right but is it securing between the two pipes, when I get chance I’ll have a look under mine, have a look at the YouTube Chris Harris road and track test on the C63, about half way through the vid he shows the the exhaust system
I looked at it again before posting here. I can see two H pipes there as well briefly.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I looked at it again before posting here. I can see two H pipes there as well briefly.
Yes, there are two h-pipes in the exhaust (only the first has a valve). It's purely for sound design. True dual exhausts (no crossover pipe), h-pipes, and x-pipes each generate very different exhaust tones. Being able to open and close an h-pipe at different RPM's and engine loads can really impact the tone of the exhaust. It's possible that AMG designed the exhaust to always have a physical secondary h-pipe crossover even when the primary h-pipe is closed via the valve. I'd wager on it being there primarily for the exhaust tone at idle and low RPM load around town and on the highway.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:06 AM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Yes, there are two h-pipes in the exhaust (only the first has a valve). It's purely for sound design. True dual exhausts (no crossover pipe), h-pipes, and x-pipes each generate very different exhaust tones. Being able to open and close an h-pipe at different RPM's and engine loads can really impact the tone of the exhaust. It's possible that AMG designed the exhaust to always have a physical secondary h-pipe crossover even when the primary h-pipe is closed via the valve. I'd wager on it being there primarily for the exhaust tone at idle and low RPM load around town and on the highway.
That’s very informative, thanks, you learn something new every day.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

It’s relatively straight forward. With the car off and not powered (key not in ACC), pop your trunk and then lock the car with your MB keyfob. If it doesn’t lock, don’t worry. Move the MB keys away from the car at the distance or location you’ve already determined is far enough away where the signal can’t reach the car.

Let the car sit for about 10 minutes. All electronics should be off in the car - all interior lights (including trunk), screens, etc should not be on. Then you’re free to install the ASR. Once it’s installed, you’re good to go. Grab your MB key and fire the car up!

The ASR defaults to whatever you specified when you ordered your module. You can always reprogram the start mode by pressing the button of the mode you want to start with about 5-6 times rapidly. You’ll hear the exhaust valves cycling between open and closed several times. This confirms that the ASR start setting has been programmed.

You're free to use the OEM exhaust button as usually, I like to have it on since I’m driving in Sport+ or Race most of the time anyway, and I think it allows the h-pipe valve to open more aggressively. On the ASR keyfob, only switch between the 100% open mode and the “Series” or Stock/OEM mode. Do not use the comfort/quiet mode on the ASR keyfob. If you want quiet, use the ASR keyfob to go to the stock programming, and then press the exhaust button on the dash as you would when stock.
Done, and it started in the default loud mode. So that's good.

I noticed the exhaust is and remains loud in Comfort mode, but is loud + the crackles/backfires in Sport+ mode. So for those of you who are saying it's much louder with the module, are you noticing that in Comfort as well? Or just Sport+? I don't drive with Sport+ on most of the time, even though it sounds SO much better in Sport+, cuz when I'm just driving normally to work, cruising down the highway, it doesn't really make sense. Although I wish I could get the exhaust profile of Sport+ with the drive comfort of Comfort (I don't think you can customize the Individual setting to that extent).
Old 07-22-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Done, and it started in the default loud mode. So that's good.

I noticed the exhaust is and remains loud in Comfort mode, but is loud + the crackles/backfires in Sport+ mode. So for those of you who are saying it's much louder with the module, are you noticing that in Comfort as well? Or just Sport+? I don't drive with Sport+ on most of the time, even though it sounds SO much better in Sport+, cuz when I'm just driving normally to work, cruising down the highway, it doesn't really make sense. Although I wish I could get the exhaust profile of Sport+ with the drive comfort of Comfort (I don't think you can customize the Individual setting to that extent).
In comfort, it’s louder and deeper until you can’t notice it anymore around 2.5k to 3k RPMs. Don’t feel like this module added any additional crackles or pops. Just nice for light driving or running up parking garages.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
I am selling my ASR module in the marketplace if anyone is interested.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 c63
So..... just read all this thread. Does this definitely not work on a 2018 model and do we understand why yet? Has the seller chimed in yet on this issue?
Old 10-08-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by NJ 1161
So..... just read all this thread. Does this definitely not work on a 2018 model and do we understand why yet? Has the seller chimed in yet on this issue?
I have the ASR on my 2018. I can't speak for others, but it definitely works on my car. That said, it's not a dramatic difference over stock. Basically disables the dynamic valve control for scenarios where the valves (at the mufflers) may be closed or partially closed. Doesn't influence the H-pipe valve behavior however (which is more about tone than volume). I personally think there's more sound gains to be had (especially at higher RPMs) by manipulating the factory H-pipe valve programming. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution for that as well.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by littletiger80
placed an order of the ASR unit on Sunday and received it today (DHL from Germany to UK). Just installed it. It took me no less than 10 mins to figure out how to remove the trunk floor panel (using force in the end....). there are 3 connectors with 2 in white colour. unplug the the white connector that has a brown cable (the other white one does not have a brown cable) and connect both leads to the module. DONE! it took less than 1 min to install the module. As above mentioned, the exhaust button that comes with performance exhaust does not work any more, which is fine for me as i dont want to mess up withCANbus. Use the remote control to open or close the valves. exhaust sound is much louder at low revs, which i love most, especially at 2K to 3K RPM.
the only way to go back to using the default settings would be to remove the unit from the trunk then?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by untamedd
the only way to go back to using the default settings would be to remove the unit from the trunk then?
no. Press button 2.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:46 PM

2018 c63
Originally Posted by Passat774
I like your thinking !!
Originally Posted by brevets
I have the ASR on my 2018. I can't speak for others, but it definitely works on my car. That said, it's not a dramatic difference over stock. Basically disables the dynamic valve control for scenarios where the valves (at the mufflers) may be closed or partially closed. Doesn't influence the H-pipe valve behavior however (which is more about tone than volume). I personally think there's more sound gains to be had (especially at higher RPMs) by manipulating the factory H-pipe valve programming. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution for that as well.
ok, that’s interesting as other 2018 have said it makes no differnece?
Old 10-14-2018, 03:52 PM

2018 c63
Couple of q’s.

Why does the C63 not like the rear exhaust valves being unplugged at the back Box? Does this alone definetly put it in limp mode? I’ve Done this on my previous a45 and that was happy?

With all the uncertainty around the asr module and 2018 cars I’m thinking of trying the bypass connectors that are around £50 and keep it 100% open and apperntly fool the ecu. Will these have the same issue as the asr module on a 2018 car ?

Old 10-14-2018, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
AlexZTuned already disabled his H-valve with no change in exhaust tone or sound. Made no difference whatsoever, I believe... maybe he can corroborate.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active sound module