Active sound module - Page 23 - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active sound module

Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 PM

Mercedes-AMG C63S
After reading this whole thread (all 22+ pages!) I bought and installed the active flap control module from ASR Components (asr-component.de) on my 2016 C63s.

My main reason for going with the ASR style unit was the "plug and play" installation as I did not want to cut any wires or do anything which could be traced whilst the vehicle is under warranty, and can be easily removed if needed.

The installation process was amazingly simply. I did it in under 2 mins and the hardest part was removing the carpet in the boot. It is dead easy to locate the appropriate plug in the boot, disconnect it and connect the ASR module in its place. The unit did not come with any installation instructions however, and the company website only has instructions in German, so anyone about to install it should read the install instructions posted in this thread. (Thanks to those that posted them - really appreciate it!).

I did ensure the vehicle was locked and asleep for 10mins with the key fobs at least 20m away, prior to working on the vehicle as others recommended.

The change in both the level of exhaust noise, and the tone of the exhaust note, is a big improvement at low revs. I did some "before and after" measurements with a basic decibel meter and found:

- Before Install, at idle:
- Comfort Mode, AMG Exhaust Button OFF - 79dB.
- S+ Mode, AMG Exhaust Button ON - 84dB

- After Install, at idle:
- Comfort Mode, AMG Exhaust Button OFF - 85dB.
- S+ Mode, AMG Exhaust Button ON - 89dB

The tone of the noise is much deeper and 'throatier' as well which is more appealing to me than just being louder. It also seems to have a bit more pops and crackles coming off high revs, but its hard to quantify this on the road.

Overall I'm loving it, and so do my kids! It was a really simple install, makes the car sound even more aggressive, yet I can turn it off and creep around quietly without waking up the neighbours if I want to.

Last edited by BiTurboLuv; 11-05-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:23 PM

BMW X5
Originally Posted by BiTurboLuv
After reading this whole thread (all 22+ pages!) I bought and installed the active flap control module from ASR Components (asr-component.de) on my 2016 C63s.

My main reason for going with the ASR style unit was the "plug and play" installation as I did not want to cut any wires or do anything which could be traced whilst the vehicle is under warranty, and can be easily removed if needed.

The installation process was amazingly simply. I did it in under 2 mins and the hardest part was removing the carpet in the boot. It is dead easy to locate the appropriate plug in the boot, disconnect it and connect the ASR module in its place. The unit did not come with any installation instructions however, and the company website only has instructions in German, so anyone about to install it should read the install instructions posted in this thread. (Thanks to those that posted them - really appreciate it!).

I did ensure the vehicle was locked and asleep for 10mins with the key fobs at least 20m away, prior to working on the vehicle as others recommended.

The improvement in both the level of exhaust noise, and the tone of the exhaust note, is a big improvement at low revs. I did some "before and after" measurements with a basic decibel meter and found:

- Before Install, at idle:
- Comfort Mode, AMG Exhaust Button OFF - 79dB.
- S+ Mode, AMG Exhaust Button ON - 84dB

- After Install, at idle:
- Comfort Mode, AMG Exhaust Button OFF - 85dB.
- S+ Mode, AMG Exhaust Button ON - 89dB

The tone of the noise is much deeper and 'throatier' as well which is more appealing to me than just being louder. It also seems to have a bit more pops and crackles coming off high revs, but its hard to quantify this on the road.

Overall I'm loving it, and so do my kids! It was a really simple install, makes the car sound even more aggressive, yet I can turn it off and creep around quietly without waking up the neighbours if I want to.
Hey mate thanks for posting your experience with the ASR to date.

Has your car gone in for a service and had the most recent software update for the engine applied to it?

I'm just tossing up whether to buy an ASR or not, seeing since getting that software update the car seems to pop a lot more coming of the throttle, although no increase in volume or that throatier sound you were mentioning. So might still be worth getting it.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 PM

Mercedes-AMG C63S
Hey RHRAUS. Yeah I have had the engine and trans software updates. Took a lot of convincing to get my dealer to do it but they eventually did.

The ASR and the software updates have slightly different effects. The software update definitely gives me more pops and backfires / crackles than before the update. I seem to get more in all modes, and they also occur at lower revs than before. The best is still S+ or Race modes coming quickly off wide throttle or downshifts at high revs.

The ASR module mostly allows a lot more noise through at low revs. As I mentioned above though, as the software update seems to give pops at lower revs now, with the ASR on these do come through better. So for example in S mode with ASR OFF you can hear the extra few pops from the software upgrade; but with the ASR turned ON they are much clearer and it sounds like 1 or 2 more pops as well. I doubt there are extra pops magically being generated, but with the exhaust flaps open the quieter pops can now be heard whereas before they were suppressed and probably weren't being heard. I'm no expert in these trick exhaust systems though so this is just what it sounds like to me anyway...
Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 AM

BMW X5
Originally Posted by BiTurboLuv
Hey RHRAUS. Yeah I have had the engine and trans software updates. Took a lot of convincing to get my dealer to do it but they eventually did.

The ASR and the software updates have slightly different effects. The software update definitely gives me more pops and backfires / crackles than before the update. I seem to get more in all modes, and they also occur at lower revs than before. The best is still S+ or Race modes coming quickly off wide throttle or downshifts at high revs.

The ASR module mostly allows a lot more noise through at low revs. As I mentioned above though, as the software update seems to give pops at lower revs now, with the ASR on these do come through better. So for example in S mode with ASR OFF you can hear the extra few pops from the software upgrade; but with the ASR turned ON they are much clearer and it sounds like 1 or 2 more pops as well. I doubt there are extra pops magically being generated, but with the exhaust flaps open the quieter pops can now be heard whereas before they were suppressed and probably weren't being heard. I'm no expert in these trick exhaust systems though so this is just what it sounds like to me anyway...
Thanks Biturboluv, sounds like it still might be a good addition in that case. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 AM

2016 C63 S Edition 1 Coupe, 2011 640D M Sports Coupe (now gone), 2015 435i M Sports Coupe
Originally Posted by JWreck View Post

Do you have any information on installation?
No but just plug and play very easy just unplug white connector under floor in boot plug in connector from unit done takes 2 min, there is at installation sheet with the unit.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:42 AM

C63
Hey all... excuse the ad - mods please shift if needed.

I'm in Brisbane Australia and have an ASR module with remote controllers that I no longer need, pulled from my C63S before sale. Perfect condition.

PM me if interested - AUD $300, happy to ship wherever.

My thoughts on it - fantastic... very worthwhile and super easy to install.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:26 PM

2018 c63
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
To be honest I wouldn’t of bothered with these by passes and just unplugged the valves but earlier on in this thread it stated it may throw a fault code.

at least these will keep it tidy. £58 in the uk, but think others available in us, again mentioned previously in this thread.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...72.m2749.l2649
So, finally got round to fitting these on my uk 2018 ( simulator plugs) One side plug was a little bugger to get out but fitted in the end. My car was locked but I did open the boot ( boot gesture feature) as had my key near by midway and I’m wondering if this took it out of sleep mode as car was down on power when re started.

Sounded quiter if anything! No change In Sound flicking between modes so valves disabled but wondering if power loss has muted it.

I’ve re plugged in originals but had a few beers so will need to test tomorrow.

Whats poeples views? Is it the soft limp mode that has meant no noise difference?

Will it be be back to normal tomorrow? Should I try re fitting them when car is fully asleep? ( boot opened when one was un plugged?). Would the boot opening with valve unplugged cause power loss?

Do do I give up as 2018?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:42 PM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post

So, finally got round to fitting these on my uk 2018 ( simulator plugs) One side plug was a little bugger to get out but fitted in the end. My car was locked but I did open the boot ( boot gesture feature) as had my key near by midway and I’m wondering if this took it out of sleep mode as car was down on power when re started.

Sounded quiter if anything! No change In Sound flicking between modes so valves disabled but wondering if power loss has muted it.

I’ve re plugged in originals but had a few beers so will need to test tomorrow.

Whats poeples views? Is it the soft limp mode that has meant no noise difference?

Will it be be back to normal tomorrow? Should I try re fitting them when car is fully asleep? ( boot opened when one was un plugged?). Would the boot opening with valve unplugged cause power loss?

Do do I give up as 2018?
I can’t answer you ‘down on power’ problem and to be honest I wouldn’t bother at all with anything to do with the valves on the 2018 because on the PE the valves are fully open when activated with the button, they are on mine anyway, I only discovered this after I installed the ASR which made no difference.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:24 AM

2018 c63
Originally Posted by Fordgt40 View Post

I can’t answer you ‘down on power’ problem and to be honest I wouldn’t bother at all with anything to do with the valves on the 2018 because on the PE the valves are fully open when activated with the button, they are on mine anyway, I only discovered this after I installed the ASR which made no difference.
think you may be right. For some reason unplugging the car and fitting the resistors did reduce the power but not as far as limp mode. Good news is after re plugging originals all back to normal power.

Guess second decat delete may be may be the way forward!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 PM

2018 c63
I’m still intrigued as to what the Simms would do if no limp mode. Can anyone confirm if my cars locked overnight and I install in this state ( with key well away) would this be sleep mode? May give the simulators one more go just out of interest on the ‘18!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:53 PM

2015 C250
Is the update done by a MB dealer ?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:04 PM

2017 C63s Coupe, 2018 BMW X3 M40i, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
Selling mine for $200 + shipping

see here. https://mbworld.org/forums/market/735429

Last edited by See63esS; 02-09-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:15 PM

2015 C250
The link is not working, what is it ?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:41 PM

2017 C63s Coupe, 2018 BMW X3 M40i, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
Originally Posted by Enrique Borunda View Post
The link is not working, what is it ?
weird. Link works for me. It’s the ASR exhaust valve module with 2 remotes.

https://asr-component.de/home/51-kla...erung-rx1.html

Last edited by See63esS; 02-09-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:30 PM

2015 C250
I am told that the ASR module does not work on cars with no performance exhaust, I have the regular 2017 C63 without a PE.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 PM

C63 amg esate
Originally Posted by Enrique Borunda View Post
I am told that the ASR module does not work on cars with no performance exhaust, I have the regular 2017 C63 without a PE.
It won’t work, only works on performance exhaust pre 2018