Sponsored by:

Active sound module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by DonC63
would love to do all three but if some programming or coding can control any of them would be happy. Though the most important to me would be the valves in the mufflers
you can pretty much delete all valves if you want and just replace the valve section with a straight pipe and then plug in AWE valve simulators.

i did that with the centre H valve since it was making too much rattling noise. The H valve wont change the volume but instead the tone. Car sounds more throaty, startups and downshifts are meaner.

Last edited by untamedd; 04-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Have an ASR module for sale, taken off my 2017 coupe since I've now got a 2019 and they're incompatible. Also have AWE valve sims for sale. Based in UK but willing to ship at buyer's cost!

If you have a 2017 or earlier, either of these are a no-brainer mod IMO!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:29 AM

2019 C63s Coupe
My one now sold. The 2019 one should be delivered today so will report back once it's fitted!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:36 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Well, I'm very late to the party and this is one very long thread. First off, I just bought a 2017 two days ago and keep reading about a software update that changes the exhaust sound. It sounds like they added more pops/burbles/overrun sounds based on what I'm reading but when I asked a local mechanic friend here in Canada he said the only update he knows of was to fix some of the misfire problems they were having and would actually make the car quieter. So much so that customers are unhappy after the update at the sound. What's the fully story on this?

Second, I see a few companies posted here but it appears like most people are happy with the ASR but the website is clearly not in english and a bit hard to navigate because of that. What is the direct link I should be ordering from? Or better yet, does anyone have a fully working one they want to sell?

And finally, I might have missed it but does anyone have a quick install video that they made themselves of the install as I'm sure instructions aren't in Canada. If you don't press the "closed" button on the remote will the flaps always stay open even after restarting the car and/or disconnection battery?
Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Update mutes exhaust sound.

Use Google Translate for the ASR website.
https://asr-component.de/startseite/...1_mit_schieber

You can set flaps to do whatever mode you want on startup.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:05 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
I contacted them and it's going to end up being about 500 CAD shipped to me, plus whatever crazy "brokerage fee" UPS seems to add on. If I don't plan on ever closing the flaps with the remote, is there any negative to using the awe valve simulators? As I skimmed through the thread the other night I noticed a lot of people having a problem losing power ("soft limp mode"?) with them that followed the install steps properly, is that ONLY on cars 2018 and above? I have a 2017 and don't mind not being able to control the valves, plus I plan on going with an awe track exhaust down the road. Also, is there any point where they might put the car in limp mode AFTER they're installed (ie: software updates, battery dieing, etc).
Old 08-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C63s Cabriolet
Hey guys. Just wanted to update this thread given I used it to make my purchase.

i have a 2018 c63s cabriolet. UK spec. Not sure of build date but it was delivered to the dealer around March 2018.

ASR module appears to work fine in mine.

i opted for the remote with numbers on rather than lock / unlock should that make any difference. And the module I received looks a little different to some of the ones posted on here (black casing). Possibly just updated aesthetics.

From what I can gather:
button 1 - exhaust fully open
button 2 - exhaust fully closed
button 3 - back to standard (exhaust button in centre console control)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 c63
Originally Posted by EssexBoyRacer
Hey guys. Just wanted to update this thread given I used it to make my purchase.

i have a 2018 c63s cabriolet. UK spec. Not sure of build date but it was delivered to the dealer around March 2018.

ASR module appears to work fine in mine.

i opted for the remote with numbers on rather than lock / unlock should that make any difference. And the module I received looks a little different to some of the ones posted on here (black casing). Possibly just updated aesthetics.

From what I can gather:
button 1 - exhaust fully open
button 2 - exhaust fully closed
button 3 - back to standard (exhaust button in centre console control)
Be good to know which module you have? I fitted simulator plugs to my July 18 and put it into limp mode. I’m thinking maybe March 18 could be 17 build hence no issue?

I need to email them them to see if any module will work on mine?

Are you happy with it? . Worth the money?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 AM

2018 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by NJ 1161
Be good to know which module you have? I fitted simulator plugs to my July 18 and put it into limp mode. I’m thinking maybe March 18 could be 17 build hence no issue?

I need to email them them to see if any module will work on mine?

Are you happy with it? . Worth the money?
Module is ASR RX1 ME2-C205. Can't find anything to validate the build date of my car in the paperwork. Not sure if there's something I can validate the VIN number against?

I'm happy with it, easy to fit and 100% reversible with no cutting of any wires (big no no for me). I like that I can leave it in the open position 100% of the time and not mess with the exhaust button every time I get in the car plus you don't get that annoying momentary valve open and close effect on cold start which always bothered me. And for those rare occasions when I might want to take back control again I can just pop it back in to standard mode via the remote.

I know there is the version that connects into can bus and uses the factory exhaust button for the same effect. That's a big appeal too, but what I didn't like is you can't completely disable it. You use the traction control button to turn it off but I think it reverts back the next time you cycle the engine.

As others have said, it's change is most noticeable at low revs and there's no mistaking the difference.

It is a bit expensive. I've found a lot of these specific application modules generally are. But popularity and competition will only drive the price down. If you can swallow the price, there's little to be disappointed with if you want to get the most noise out of your standard exhaust.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 c63
Hmm, I’m sold. It’s the low down I’d like to be louder, just the normal rumble on normal driving. Do have some early starts so need the ability to go back to quiet if needed ( well quieter!). Will need to contact them to see if the new model works with 2018.

Yes, it’s expensive but when the time comes to move on I would imagine you’d get a decent amount back if you re sell.

Re vin and build date. I’ve used this before.

https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check

just re did mine to see if still works and does. Only bit is where it says delivery date not sure if this means build date as mine is a July 18 registration and states delivery date as jan 18 which sounds about right. Someone more knowledgable may chip in,but worth a view and free.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 PM

2018 C63s Cabriolet
Delivery date 27 03 2018

EU approval date 20180111

Can’t find build date but assume it must be very late 2017 or very early 2018.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C45 amg
Originally Posted by playalistic
My one now sold. The 2019 one should be delivered today so will report back once it's fitted!
Hi. I’m really interested to know how your (new) ASR module affects the sound/valves etc in your 2019 as I’m getting a 2019 c63s coupe next week.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 05:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w205 C63s
After ordering mine, it arrived around 3 day later to Sydney where I live.

Install was easy. Just have to make sure you find the right cables and tap into the same colour wires.

Been driving with it for about a week now. My thoughts:
Definitely noticeable difference in comfort mode, even with all the windows closed. The exhaust now gurgles and throbs. No pops.
Noticeably in sports+ mode.

It's a pretty expensive unit, so it'll come down to each persons opinion whether its worth the price.
But for me I'm happy with it.

I will do downpipes when the warranty expires.
The following users liked this post:
Realbenz (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 03:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C45 amg
Originally Posted by see63es

Install was easy. Just have to make sure you find the right cables and tap into the same colour wires.

Definitely noticeable difference in comfort mode, even with all the windows closed. The exhaust now gurgles and throbs. No pops.

It's a pretty expensive unit, so it'll come down to each persons opinion whether its worth the price.

Hi I think I would agree. I personally think the cost is ok for the convenience of not having to keep hitting the exhaust button when going back to comfort mode and to also have it that little bit louder.

As fas as the car itself... I’ve done 2k miles almost and it definitely seems like the car is popping and banging more but under hard driving in sport+ engine mode.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG GLC63S | 2017 AMG C63S (retired)

thanks for the review - been considering this for a while now. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it in total to get it to SYD? (i'm based in BNE and weighing up wether our dollar is worth getting it at the moment )
Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w205 C63s
Originally Posted by spikiii
thanks for the review - been considering this for a while now. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it in total to get it to SYD? (i'm based in BNE and weighing up wether our dollar is worth getting it at the moment )
No worries...cost me $718AUD all up.
The following users liked this post:
spikiii (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe, 2020 G550
I got the ASR version a few days ago and I think it’s 100% worth it.

As we all know, although theres no pops and crackles, the car does start to produce some sound as you reach higher RPMs. But for the first couple thousand RPMs the car was practically silent.

I feel like these modules create a reasonable exhaust progression from standstill to higher RPMs. But my favorite change is the standstill rumble. That was something that was really missing and I’m glad its brought back.

Wanted to record a video but unfortunately the day after I installed it someone vandalized my car trying to break into the trunk. So its in the shop for an estimated 2 weeks.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C63

I bought another valve modulator with the same concept for my car. Going to install it in the next couple days. Do you notice a substantial difference with/without this module? I was told it's merely opening the valves from 75% open to 100% open.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:06 PM

C63s
Need an exhaust module

Anybody selling their ASR or CETE?
Old 12-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 C63S
I installed the Renntech exhaust module on my car today, it is a 2018 sedan. I could definitely tell the difference at low rpm under load. Might be worth a try for the other 2018's out there that said the ASR didn't change anything.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG c63s w205
if like me you want loud all the time you can just unplug the valves. I have done this and noticed a difference down low and the car has been back to Merc 2 times now and they have not said anything about the valves being disconnected.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:31 AM

2019 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by wados
if like me you want loud all the time you can just unplug the valves. I have done this and noticed a difference down low and the car has been back to Merc 2 times now and they have not said anything about the valves being disconnected.
Without a valve simulator to trick the car into thinking they're still being actuated? CEL no?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG c63s w205
Originally Posted by playalistic
Without a valve simulator to trick the car into thinking they're still being actuated? CEL no?
I have had no issues and as i said the car has been back to the dealer for a warranty issue and they had no issues with the valves being unplugged.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:48 AM

2019 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by wados
I have had no issues and as i said the car has been back to the dealer for a warranty issue and they had no issues with the valves being unplugged.
Interesting. Are you sure you're not down on power? For everyone else that did this their car went into some kind of limp mode. Is yours a facelift?
Old 12-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe, 2020 G550
Very curious about this.

I also want it open 100% of the time so if just unplugging the valves does the trick I might just get rid of the ASR

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active sound module