MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   E85 Tuning (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/690740-e85-tuning.html)

Modio1234 12-01-2017 05:42 PM

E85 Tuning

I noticed that nobody has had a c63 tuned for e85 yet. Is there a reason like our fuel system or something. I was looking into getting the dinan tune but if I can get a custom tune for e85 I'm all for it.

w204nyc 12-01-2017 09:02 PM

Dont quote me on this but when I spoke to a reputable company that does turbos for the w205 about upgrading my turbos, they told me there wasn't a big improvement with E85 compared to 93. They gained more whp with race gas over 93. This conversation was about upgraded turbos and exhaust. Not sure about stock turbos and E85. I run E85 on my w204 and there is a nice bump in power.

mr747 12-03-2017 05:46 PM

New c63 is direct injection very hard to do e85 on direct injection

PL27 12-04-2017 10:08 AM

I run about 2.5 gallons of e85 to 10 gal of 93 octane to up my octane level a little bit. Anything over 2.5 gal of e85 i will get fuel pump cels

mr747 12-04-2017 04:10 PM

If you do a dyno test i bet you will be losing power running a mix

I would keep running 93 straight without e85

PL27 12-04-2017 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mr747 (Post 7327444)

thanks for your advice i will use only 87 or 91 octane now. As 93 is a ripoff

PL27 12-04-2017 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mr747 (Post 7327444)

btw this is the dumbest comment i’ve heard on this forum lmao. Do you have an explanation?

RDO247 12-04-2017 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by PL27 (Post 7327496)
btw this is the dumbest comment i’ve heard on this forum lmao. Do you have an explanation?

PL27,

Is your car tuned to run the mixed E85 with 93 or just tuned for 93 gas?

Have you done a dyno comparison between straight 93 and mixed?

Can you run 100% E85???

mr747 12-04-2017 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by PL27 (Post 7327496)

Mate you have no idea

Go do a dyno a see

People like you think e85 is god but what you dont understand is these cars arent meant to run e85 and unless you are tuned for it your car will run like ****

You have alot to learn

OrientBlue3 12-04-2017 08:17 PM

Running 87 octane is ridiculous.

AV1 12-04-2017 08:21 PM

Just my 2c

I would not recommend running E fuels in any car/engine/fuel system that's not specifically made to run it, it'll "eat up" anything it comes into contact with that's not metal.

I found this out the hard way on one of my cars, it provided a definite increase in power and torque however it chewed up any part of the fuel system handling and delivery system that wasn't metal.

This would be more of a problem for older cars, I've heard there is literature out there published by the fuel companies as to which cars are safe or not safe to run on E fuels.

mr747 12-04-2017 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 7327643)
Just my 2c

I would not recommend running E fuels in any car/engine/fuel system that's not specifically made to run it, it'll "eat up" anything it comes into contact with that's not metal.

I found this out the hard way on one of my cars, it provided a definite increase in power and torque however it chewed up any part of the fuel system handling and delivery system that wasn't metal.

This would be more of a problem for older cars, I've heard there is literature out there published by the fuel companies as to which cars are safe or not safe to run on E fuels.

And this is another reason

On the c63 its not so bad as they run metal fuel lines ETC etc but even still its pointless and you actually loss power if untuned

A proper e85 conversion will set you back thousands AN10 fuel lines (metal) different fuel pumps and 1000x + injectors and then tuning

But hey this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard on forums

PL27 12-04-2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mr747 (Post 7327646)
And this is another reason

On the c63 its not so bad as they run metal fuel lines ETC etc but even still its pointless and you actually loss power if untuned

A proper e85 conversion will set you back thousands AN10 fuel lines (metal) different fuel pumps and 1000x + injectors and then tuning

But hey this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard on forums

stock fueling handles 3 gal to a full tank like a champ on my stock car 👍🏻

auditoamg 12-04-2017 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mr747
Mate you have no idea

Go do a dyno a see

People like you think e85 is god but what you dont understand is these cars arent meant to run e85 and unless you are tuned for it your car will run like ****

You have alot to learn

On 100%, it won't run at all and destroy the fuel system... Period. Anybody that thinks otherwise should sell this car and buy a Camry.

Dthquazi 12-04-2017 11:32 PM

E85 will (or any other higher octane gasoline) have no discernable advantage in a car that is not running a custom tune for it.

Mr. Pink 12-05-2017 02:23 AM

You guys realize that e85 is just a cleaner, less explosive, higher octane fuel right....? anyone who's saying it ruined their fuel lines and what not must have been running it in a car from the 80s-90s.... Most all modern fuel systems are e85 safe meaning it's not gonna eat anything up.

The problem with e85 on this platform is the LPFP can't handle 100% and that needs to be upgraded, also the fuel line needs to be split off and add an additional line to help flow, the biggest issue is having to reflash your ecu anytime you need to run pump gas for a trip or when you get caught in a situation where there's no e85. If we had flash tuning it would be much easier to switch back and forth.

Also, just from this post alone I realize there's some dummies who own these cars, if you tune on e85 and you don't test your stations and u get e70, you run the risk of probably blowing your car up, so yeah there's that....

AV1 12-05-2017 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink (Post 7327881)
You guys realize that e85 is just a cleaner, less explosive, higher octane fuel right....? anyone who's saying it ruined their fuel lines and what not must have been running it in a car from the 80s-90s.... Most all modern fuel systems are e85 safe meaning it's not gonna eat anything up.

The problem with e85 on this platform is the LPFP can't handle 100% and that needs to be upgraded, also the fuel line needs to be split off and add an additional line to help flow, the biggest issue is having to reflash your ecu anytime you need to run pump gas for a trip or when you get caught in a situation where there's no e85. If we had flash tuning it would be much easier to switch back and forth.

Also, just from this post alone I realize there's some dummies who own these cars, if you tune on e85 and you don't test your stations and u get e70, you run the risk of probably blowing your car up, so yeah there's that....

Yes quite a lot of erroneous writings here...

The vehicle I mentioned in an earlier post was a 2004 Opel OPC turbo Astra Z20LET engine, not something from the 80's or 90's it had/has similar fuel lines and delivery system to most other cars of the same era and would still be the same for many years after it too.

I was only running a small amount of the Ethanol fuel, not the whole tank, about 5 to 40 litres per the tank ratio blend, it was enough to do the damage.

Granted much newer vehicles say over the last decade have full metal lines and more resistant/stronger plastic tanks because of the increased fuel delivery pressures of modern fuel injection systems, however there may still be an amount of non alcohol compatible polymer materials such as seals etc. present, these are the items that will get chewed up.

The simple fact is this - for all who want to run Ethanol whether in large or small quantities do the research and make sure your vehicle is compatible with the fuel system (there are now many which are good to go with it) then go to the trouble of getting it tuned to utilize it properly or else yes it's just a waste of time.

Mr. Pink 12-05-2017 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 7327926)
Yes quite a lot of erroneous writings here...

The vehicle I mentioned in an earlier post was a 2004 Opel OPC turbo Astra Z20LET engine, not something from the 80's or 90's it had/has similar fuel lines and delivery system to most other cars of the same era and would still be the same for many years after it too.

I was only running a small amount of the Ethanol fuel, not the whole tank, about 5 to 40 litres per the tank ratio blend, it was enough to do the damage.

Granted much newer vehicles say over the last decade have full metal lines and more resistant/stronger plastic tanks because of the increased fuel delivery pressures of modern fuel injection systems, however there may still be an amount of non alcohol compatible polymer materials such as seals etc. present, these are the items that will get chewed up.

The simple fact is this - for all who want to run Ethanol whether in large or small quantities do the research and make sure your vehicle is compatible with the fuel system (there are now many which are good to go with it) then go to the trouble of getting it tuned to utilize it properly or else yes it's just a waste of time.

You're making your assumption off the experience you have with e85 and the equivalent of a Chevy cobalt. You should go back to researching stock tire pressures

The research is done and I've already told you how not to lean out your fuel system. Like I said most all modern Cars are e85 compatible as most of our fuel in the US contains a % of it.

Just cause it hasn't been posted and broken down for the noobs to go play with it doesn't mean it hasn't been researched.

Chigs 12-05-2017 12:20 PM

Just wanted to point out that on page 389 of the owners manual it clearly mentions that the maximum amount on ethanol in the fuel should not exceed 10%. What do the engineers know though...

AlexZTuned 12-05-2017 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chigs (Post 7328210)
Just wanted to point out that on page 389 of the owners manual it clearly mentions that the maximum amount on ethanol in the fuel should not exceed 10%. What do the engineers know though...

10% ethanol is the standard fuel mix in the US. Every modern car can run at least 10% ethanol since that’s what comes out with 87/89/91/93 etc.

AMGSuperSaloon 12-07-2017 08:16 AM

One other quick note on E85...

A lot of mention has been made about it having a "higher octane" rating. It does not have a higher octane rating per volume (less actually)

For those who have run E mixes in the past on other cars, you can attest that when it is tuned for more power and you are seeing improved "octane" it is simply a function of using significantly more fuel. E85 tunes on turbocharged vehicle are a very wet mix. A perfect example of this is if you have a non-flex fuel car tuned for E85 and put 93 octane in. The car practically drowns.

The increase in "octane" rating with E85 is simply because you dump a ton (relatively) of fuel into the cylinder compared to 93. Simply adding E85 to your tank is giving no benefit and is potentially harmful.

But as Chigs said, what do the engineers know

Audi Junkie 12-10-2020 06:59 PM

E burns cooler, allowing for higher boost levels. Direct Injection, in Stratified Mode, fire injectors up to 6x per combustion cycle, to stir and cool the mix....taking full advantage of the greater evaporative cooling effects. At 105-110 octane, it allows more advance as well.

E85 also cleans the **** out of the fuel system, intakes, chambers and ring lands. I use it at 5q/tank in non-E engines for cleaning and octane bump. I never need to buy Techron at all anymore. I also use 2-cycle oil in my gas at 500:1, not so much except anymore for winter and storing cars.

There was a lot of anti-E propaganda from the oil companies a few years ago. So, you get a lot of disinformed opinions.

As for cost-efficiency, I have an old V6 M112 FF that I take road trips to Florida. E costs -20% less than super, then gives -10% MPG, a +10% potential advantage. My experience is half and half 93 and E85 runs best, and half 87 and E85 is the most cost-effective.... Now, in a tuned (VAG) FF engine, you get an extra +100hp...who cares about cost-effective, you have to compare to $7 race gas then.

One more thing, E doesn't require a bunch of toxic additives to run clean....gasoline does. Also people think, for some reason, that E goes bad quicker than gas. Umm, no. does rubbing alcohol go "bad" after years on the shelf? Be real.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2a608d7b3a.png