Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

360 camera a must have?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c36 amg
360 camera a must have?

Hi

I’ve a 2018 C63 coupe on order and delivery to the dealer is due early Jan however I’m taking delivery in 1st March so car will be registered 01/03/2018. When I ordered a few months ago I didn’t add the 360 camera option, I didn’t see the point and the dealer didn’t give me much information on what it offers either. I’ve since been looking into it and it seems like a good option for reasonable cost (£335 inc Vat) so would now ideally like to add but it’s no longer an option for me option since my car has already been through production.

The options are have are to leave it off obviously or cancel the current order and reorder with the camera added, the dealer said he’s happy to do this (presume he can seek the car no problem) but the new car may then be subject to delay, he’s says he doesn’t have sight of delivery dates past Jan 2018 yet. He also said it’s not that great since you lose most of the screen with the split screen function. Dealer said if I went for it he couldn’t promise a car for 1st March or even March. So I am wondering which option to take and whether the camera would be worth the wait.

For those that have the camera option do you actually find it useful and use it regularly or has the novelty factor worn off?

For those that don’t have the camera In hindsight do wish you had gone for it?

The spec i’ve ordered on my car is as follows:

C63 coupe
Diamond White
20/19 staggered AMG upgrade forged alloys
Night package
Premium plus
Open pore ash wood console / trim
Tyre / key insurance

thanks
jas

Last edited by Jas3569; 12-19-2017 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MBzW205 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I use the 360 camera all the time, for instance, any time there is even the remote chance that I might clip a wheel on a curb. I don't know if it's a "must have" but the Mercedes implementation is very good. I added mine to my order after watching some reviews - I would definitely regret not having it now.

One thing I don't use that came with the option is the auto-park assist. I can never seem to get it to work correctly... it detects spots that aren't spots, and the few times where it "kinda" worked, I was so close to the next car that I couldn't open the door. Weird.

If the money's not an issue, get it. It's a great feature.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:34 AM

c36 amg
Cheers Gordon. Yes clipping the wheels is what i’m most worried about.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
I can't live without mine! Every time I pull up to park and where I live almost every parking spot has a stopper, I would turn on the camera just so I won't clip it. Also besides the sensors, it is good to have birds eye view when navigating through very tight locations.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
I use the camera for all parking situations and places where things are tight. His comments about the screen are dumb. Of course the camera picture takes up the whole screen. What else would you be looking at if your worried about curbing your wheels or scraping the front end on a parking block. Get the camera, he just wants to complete a sale to you ASAP and get his commission.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 AM

c36 amg
I was hoping the feedback I was going to get was "Nah don't bother it's useless" but clearly not lol.

Looks like I'm going to have order it and wait a bit longer to get the car then. I sense the dealer is trying to put me off since a car has already been ordered for me and I feel like I'd be messing him a round slightly but need to make sure the car is spec with the right stuff.

thanks
jas
Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Agreed it’s a must-have. I can’t imagine living without it with the Coupe.

And the “splitscreen” thing your dealer told you is just the default view when you put it in reverse. You can make it full screen and even change which camera to focus on (rear or front wheels, zoomed front or rear bumpers, birds eye view, etc.) by turning the dial and selecting different views.
The following users liked this post:
MBzW205 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
c63s
It really depends on how you are going to use it and how often. I have it and wanted it, because I saw how it's useful to prevent curb rashes (lots of parallel parking), when doing frontal parking where there's a huge stopper, very tight spaces when exiting and trying to stay within the line when parking in spots. Also, if you are not aware, the front sensors don't beep until you are really close to the object and by then it will be a bit late if you are going a bit fast.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 AM

c36 amg
thanks guys, yes I do a fair amount of inner city driving and often in central London so lots of parallel parking and squeezing into tight bays. Really want to avoid curbing the wheels, I'm sure it will happen but hopefully few and far between if I have and make use of the 360 setup.

for those of you more familiar with buying from dealer than me, how much of an inconvenience do you think it will be for the dealer to order another car with same spec but the camera option added, I'd imagine he won't have much trouble selling the original car ordered for me and someone will get lucky with getting their hands on a car almost immediately. just curious how much trouble a cancellation and reorder will cause him?

thanks
Jas
Old 12-19-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
I use the 360 cameras every time I park.

How people buy an $80k+ car and not even get parking sensors at the minimum astonishes me.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
c63s
If he's a good salesman and wants your business, there's no such thing as inconvenience (unless you are being a very hard to deal with customer). He can swap the build with another dealer (if dealer has an open slot or another one that is similar to yours), sell the car and make profit, or give you another slot (if you are not in a rush). Basically he would find a way to make it happen for you.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
I just wanna echo others' sentiments:

- It's a "must-have," so much so that in the US, the Edition 1 is pre-speced, so I couldn't get it with the 360 camera. So I paid a stupid amount of $$ to retrofit the OEM unit into mine. Yea, it was ridiculously overpriced, but after getting used it it in the wife's GLE, and with the painted wheels on my Edition 1, it's a must-have for sure. And I still think it's worth every penny.

- Mercedes' 360 camera is the best I've seen to date. The steering wheel angle sensor they use gives you much better guide lines and actual travel path. The camera also has several preset angles (eg front wheels, rear wheels, direct overhead rear, rear facing, front facing, etc etc) which are VERY easy to access and VERY useful. USE THEM.

- Mercedes' 360 camera also does something phenomenally well. It uses the exterior lights situated around the cameras to light up your surroundings whenever the camera is activated. So instead of utilizing a black (or green) and white night vision camera, engaging the camera at night literally illuminates your surroundings, and you get a very detailed, clear, and well-lit image of your surroundings.

Again, Mercedes' 360 camera is by far the best I've seen to date. Pass on the car you've ordered and re-order with the 360 camera. I promise you won't regret it
Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG c63s
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
I just wanna echo others' sentiments:

- It's a "must-have," so much so that in the US, the Edition 1 is pre-speced, so I couldn't get it with the 360 camera. So I paid a stupid amount of $$ to retrofit the OEM unit into mine. Yea, it was ridiculously overpriced, but after getting used it it in the wife's GLE, and with the painted wheels on my Edition 1, it's a must-have for sure. And I still think it's worth every penny.

- Mercedes' 360 camera is the best I've seen to date. The steering wheel angle sensor they use gives you much better guide lines and actual travel path. The camera also has several preset angles (eg front wheels, rear wheels, direct overhead rear, rear facing, front facing, etc etc) which are VERY easy to access and VERY useful. USE THEM.

- Mercedes' 360 camera also does something phenomenally well. It uses the exterior lights situated around the cameras to light up your surroundings whenever the camera is activated. So instead of utilizing a black (or green) and white night vision camera, engaging the camera at night literally illuminates your surroundings, and you get a very detailed, clear, and well-lit image of your surroundings.

Again, Mercedes' 360 camera is by far the best I've seen to date. Pass on the car you've ordered and re-order with the 360 camera. I promise you won't regret it
+1 get the 360 camera, it is a must have for sure.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM

c36 amg
Thanks gents, appreciate the feedback.

The dealer called me today but I wasn’t wrong and my wife picked up he told her that having to re-order would likely mean an uplift in car overall costs (I due to prices going up etc I also negotiated a 10% discount on the vehicle so that may be effecyed

all sounds like a load of bull to me but he may be being honest not sure? Not really used hats he would have to gain or lose by this since it’s not like i’m Suggesting taking my business to another dealer

I so want the camera added now but not if it means I end up paying significantly more than the 335 of camera cost for the car

what do you think please or suggest?

Thanks
jas
Old 12-20-2017, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by Jas3569
Thanks gents, appreciate the feedback.

The dealer called me today but I wasn’t wrong and my wife picked up he told her that having to re-order would likely mean an uplift in car overall costs (I due to prices going up etc I also negotiated a 10% discount on the vehicle so that may be effecyed

all sounds like a load of bull to me but he may be being honest not sure? Not really used hats he would have to gain or lose by this since it’s not like i’m Suggesting taking my business to another dealer

I so want the camera added now but not if it means I end up paying significantly more than the 335 of camera cost for the car

what do you think please or suggest?

Thanks
jas
Walk away. He’s trying to reel in year-end commission. If he’s not willing to work with you on a new build with the same discount, then I would go elsewhere. Prices are not increasing significantly, usually it’s the same or a grand or so more to account for things like inflation. Definitely not anything significant enough to not warrant the same discount you’re currently being offered. This is not a cheap car, it would be foolish to accept one without a must-have feature that cannot be retrofitted.

If they wont honor the same discount on a new build with the 360 camera, tell them you’ll find a new dealership that will. Wait a little while and they’ll be be calling you nonstop for days.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:20 AM

c36 amg
Thanks Alex. I have already paid £1k on the car as deposit which will unlikely be refunded so that’s a consideration also otherwise I would have walked away for sure since i’ve Not been overly impressed with the customer experience so far

i’m due to call him back ( he just left me a voicemail ) no doubt wants to talk me out of any reorder

will see how it goes. Got a good mind to make him sweat a bit but at the same time want my new car !

thanks
jas