Sponsored by:

Question on seat and leather differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 MX-5
Question on seat and leather differences

From what I have read thus far, the standard seats are more comfortable (more cushioned?) than the performance seats, especially if you plan to be in them for longer drives. Are there any differences between the standard seats in the regular vs S C63 and in the coupe versus sedan? I believe they all use the same standard seat but just wanted verification.
Secondly, is there any perceivable difference in cushioning (or "butt-feel") between the 3 different materials offered for the seats: MBTex/Dynamica vs Nappa leather vs Designo Nappa Leather with the quilted pattern. I'm a thin guy without much of my own cushioning so I always try to go for the softest feeling seats that I can find.
Any opinions from other thin folks out there with one of these cars and how they feel about their seats would certainly be appreciated. I find it is one of those things that really takes some seat time to properly evaluate.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
I can compare the seats of my 2 day old 2018 C63S and the 2013 C350 I traded. The C350 had the MBTex at the recommendation of the salesman vs. the leather I was going to order. He said if I was going to keep the car the MBTex held up much better over time, especially on a parked outside car. He also recommended against Panorama for the same reason. I guess I can understand outside sun and heat, especially in South Florida, drying out and ageing the leather and the increased load on the A/C the panorama might require to keep the car cool on 95 - 102+ degree summer days. I went with the MBtex and never had a second thought or regret about it in the 5 years I drove the C350. For an older guy with severe arthritis and very bad back I never had an uncomfortable minute in the seat, even with 2 and 3 hour drives. FWIW, car was garaged so it doesn't sit and cook daily. I'm still getting everything adjusted on the C63S, took the Napa Brown leather and ventilated (A/C and heat) option. Where the seat is different, and I did not take the performance seats, the side bolsters are beefier and come out a bit further. I tried the performance seats on a test drive and it was instant backache for me, you may or may not have that issue. 2.5 hour drive home on Friday and no back pain at all, seat is extremely comfortable with more adjustments than you may need. ... even a separate under thigh pad that extends and tilts and is different than the bottom cushion adjustments. I also find it seems to have more padding than my C350 did. ... whether that has anything to do with the venting, I don't know. Also FWIW, while I'm not one of the thin guys my arthritic carcass talks to me at length about seating comfort.
You may also want to consider the HUD. Very cool, right there your speed, the speed limit of the road you are in including school display as appropriate, gear you are in and RPM's. That's before I get into the settings to see what else is available for the display.
The following users liked this post:
Matthew Gaither (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by midareff1
I can compare the seats of my 2 day old 2018 C63S and the 2013 C350 I traded. The C350 had the MBTex at the recommendation of the salesman vs. the leather I was going to order. He said if I was going to keep the car the MBTex held up much better over time, especially on a parked outside car. He also recommended against Panorama for the same reason. I guess I can understand outside sun and heat, especially in South Florida, drying out and ageing the leather and the increased load on the A/C the panorama might require to keep the car cool on 95 - 102+ degree summer days. I went with the MBtex and never had a second thought or regret about it in the 5 years I drove the C350. For an older guy with severe arthritis and very bad back I never had an uncomfortable minute in the seat, even with 2 and 3 hour drives. FWIW, car was garaged so it doesn't sit and cook daily. I'm still getting everything adjusted on the C63S, took the Napa Brown leather and ventilated (A/C and heat) option. Where the seat is different, and I did not take the performance seats, the side bolsters are beefier and come out a bit further. I tried the performance seats on a test drive and it was instant backache for me, you may or may not have that issue. 2.5 hour drive home on Friday and no back pain at all, seat is extremely comfortable with more adjustments than you may need. ... even a separate under thigh pad that extends and tilts and is different than the bottom cushion adjustments. I also find it seems to have more padding than my C350 did. ... whether that has anything to do with the venting, I don't know. Also FWIW, while I'm not one of the thin guys my arthritic carcass talks to me at length about seating comfort.
You may also want to consider the HUD. Very cool, right there your speed, the speed limit of the road you are in including school display as appropriate, gear you are in and RPM's. That's before I get into the settings to see what else is available for the display.
After having the HUD for over 2 years it would be a deal breaker to not have one--It is great and yes you do have several different choices as what to show.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:43 PM

2008 MX-5
Thanks for your recommendations. It seems like you are saying both the MB Tex and the Nappa are good choices and that is good to know. Ultimately I need to have some seat time myself but I do want to wait until the 2019's start to become available and so I am trying to have as much knowledge as I can before I go in. I have considered the HUD and it seems like a good option but never having owned one a car with a HUD before it doesn't seem like a "must have" option to me at this point. If I get to test a car with it then I might change my mind.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
I’ve got the designo brown leather, and certainly feels more delicate than Mbtex or another similar quality leather. Seems to be ok though, definitely looks sharp.

Non-performance seats also, and they’re comfortable. No S class seat, but 3 1/2 car rides aren’t totally unbearable on the horrid Texas highways.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by Matthew Gaither
From what I have read thus far, the standard seats are more comfortable (more cushioned?) than the performance seats, especially if you plan to be in them for longer drives. Are there any differences between the standard seats in the regular vs S C63 and in the coupe versus sedan? I believe they all use the same standard seat but just wanted verification.
Secondly, is there any perceivable difference in cushioning (or "butt-feel") between the 3 different materials offered for the seats: MBTex/Dynamica vs Nappa leather vs Designo Nappa Leather with the quilted pattern. I'm a thin guy without much of my own cushioning so I always try to go for the softest feeling seats that I can find.
Any opinions from other thin folks out there with one of these cars and how they feel about their seats would certainly be appreciated. I find it is one of those things that really takes some seat time to properly evaluate.
The standard seats between the regular and "s" versions are cushioned the same, but the "s" has Nappa standard. It's an option for the non "s".
Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 AM

2008 MX-5
Thanks folks, I appreciate your input!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by RDOCA
After having the HUD for over 2 years it would be a deal breaker to not have one--It is great and yes you do have several different choices as what to show.
Before I bought my C63S, I had an X5 that had HUD. I absolutely loved it and thought I'd never want a car without it. My C63S does not have HUD, and when I bought it I wasn't sure if I could revert back to not having it.

Fast forward almost 3 years, and I don't miss it at all. I still drive the X5 with the HUD (it's now my wife's car), and I can honestly say it doesn't make that big of a difference to me. I'm sure a majority of the reason is that I leave the display screen on the AMG page that shows everything I need to know (digital speedo, gear, oil/trans temps), and it's only a few inches below where the HUD would be anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Matthew Gaither (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 427
The HUD makes very little difference to me as I wear polarized sunglasses. This leaves HUD in my bimmer utterly useless, unless I tilt my head constantly or buy different glasses, which I refuse to do. I could easily go w/o HUD.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
I'm a thin guy without much of my own cushioning so I always try to go for the softest feeling seats that I can find.
I know your pain!

The sport seats aren't the softest, butt I haven't any trouble even during long rides.

They also look totally bad ***, which makes them totally worth it.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 AM

2008 MX-5
Originally Posted by KJ
I know your pain!

The sport seats aren't the softest, butt I haven't any trouble even during long rides.

They also look totally bad ***, which makes them totally worth it.
Do you have the standard seats or the performance seats? I agree the performance seats look like serious business and are beautiful!
Old 03-27-2018, 06:29 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Do you have the standard seats or the performance seats? I agree the performance seats look like serious business and are beautiful!
Performance seats!!!

Last edited by KJ; 03-27-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:12 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by J.J.D.O.
The HUD makes very little difference to me as I wear polarized sunglasses. This leaves HUD in my bimmer utterly useless, unless I tilt my head constantly or buy different glasses, which I refuse to do. I could easily go w/o HUD.
FWIW, I wear polarized glasses as well and it has no effect on the C63S HUD. Just had a front windshield heat and UV rejection film installed which has no effect either.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 AM

2008 MX-5
Is the HUD projected onto the windscreen is or is part of the windscreen itself? I admit I am not well-versed in exactly how it works on MB vehicles.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 427
FWIW, I wear polarized glasses as well and it has no effect on the C63S HUD. Just had a front windshield heat and UV rejection film installed which has no effect either.
Thanks, good to know. I might find it more worthwhile under that circumstance. Wonder why BMW can't get this right.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM

2018 C63S Sedan

Is the HUD projected onto the windscreen is or is part of the windscreen itself? I admit I am not well-versed in exactly how it works on MB vehicles.
It appears as being about a foot and a half or so beyond the windshield. I believe the projector in directly in front of the windshield so it may be using a focal point past the windshield as it doesn't appear to use the windshield as a screen.
OEM setting seems to be gear4 P,R 1 - 7 or none for coasting, RPM, your speed and directly to the left of the display is the speed limit for where you are including any temporary restrictions such as 30, 15, school. Location is adjustable (up & down) as is brightness and content although I have not looked at that yet being quite comfortable with OEM content. Seeing how quickly these vehicles can disrespect the speed limit I find my speed and the speed limit invaluable in the display.
The following 2 users liked this post by midareff1:
Chigs (04-02-2018), MattRG (04-05-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
"Disrespect the speed limit..." I'm gonna use that
Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Chigs
"Disrespect the speed limit..." I'm gonna use that
LOL, feel free... and it's not by a little. I say that having had vehicles which accumulated lots of frequent flyer miles in the past.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by J.J.D.O.
Thanks, good to know. I might find it more worthwhile under that circumstance. Wonder why BMW can't get this right.
It took Canon a few years to get it so I could read the screen on the back of their cameras.