Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
I’m watching some reviews for the new BMW 135M which is a 2 litre engine which seems to have more pops than our C63s. Watch this video at 10:00
Old 06-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Originally Posted by OwOamg
@roken Did you get any updates from AMG?

At least for the US c63s AMG is aware of the sound complaints and is working on a software update according to a member who talked to the same rep(Isaiah) at mbusa I did to file the complaint. I do not know if this is going to happen with the eu cars as they have stricter sound regulations now. As noted before Audi gave the new r8 EU spec a bump in horsepower by 10 hp and the US got a louder exhaust because we could handle the increase in noise and the EU spec couldn't due to updated EU regulations on noise.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Ben Khoshabeh
I’m watching some reviews for the new BMW 135M which is a 2 litre engine which seems to have more pops than our C63s. Watch this video at 10:00
https://youtu.be/MfZQ70PtirI
Again, it's a press car. We don't know what will actually be delivered to buyers. Mercedes as we know did a bit of false advertising. As far as I'm concerned, we won't get an update that restores the exhaust sound to what it should be. I hope I'm wrong. I have some knowledge of these customer service types who say "we're aware of the issue and working on an update." It's usually BS to make you feel better and get you off the phone. Mercedes doesn't need to "work" on a software update, they already have it. They just need to give us the software that was on the press cars.

Last edited by Radon; 06-01-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 PM

2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Radon
Again, it's a press car. We don't know what will actually be delivered to buyers. Mercedes as we know did a bit of false advertising. As far as I'm concerned, we won't get an update that restores the exhaust sound to what it should be. I hope I'm wrong. I have some knowledge of these customer service types who say "we're aware of the issue and working on an update." It's usually BS to make you feel better and get you off the phone. Mercedes doesn't need to "work" on a software update, they already have it. They just need to give us the software that was on the press cars.
True that! Even if they had to do any software updates, it would literally be as simple as changing the values and submitting the revisions over night. This is ridiculously false advertisement and many owners are not happy about this particular issue even though we all love the car.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
I went to the Nurburgring today and in Race mode it regularly pops and bangs. It doesn't do it on every lift off like the press cars seemed to do, but on the other hand it doesn't sound fake. The random nature makes it sound more genuine IMO. I do get an occasional bang and pop in S+ on the Autobahn, but it's much rarer. Maybe we do get a software update or maybe not. I'm not sure I want one, though. I kinda like the way it is. Unfortunately, I had to abort my day at the Nurburgring after only one lap due to the passenger front tire overheating (see other thread), so I only spent about 10 minutes in Race mode. Tried track pace for the first time, too. Works pretty well and they even have the Touristenfahrten version of the Nordschleife on there, so it knows exactly where the start and end of the run is since the start and finish aren't in the same place. At 10 minutes something it wasn't a fast lap. There were two guys that wiped out ahead of me in different places so we had to slow down and they closed the track right after my lap.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM

2019 AMG C63S
Herrooo AMG. Can you hear me?
Old 06-07-2019, 01:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a UFO
I have the regular exhaust, and I am wondering if I don’t get the software upgrade, but get a bypass valve and only use it offroad (track/mountains) would it pop and crackle? By passing second cat, but still go through everything before.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s
I asked them about the crackles and they just blame everything on the particle filter lol

Here is what I got from Mercedes Benz Customer Service Canada:

In regards to other AMG models (AMG GT, AMG GT4 door, E53, and even S63 and G63) there are numersous factors the exhaust system would be different, such as, the size of the exhaust system including the tail pipes & mufflers and the vehicle being tuned differently for each model. While we are not in the position to comment on any forums based on each individual customer complaints, our focus is directed towards the concern you have addressed with Mercedes-Benz Canada. We have confirmed with Daimler that the Model Year (MY) 2019 C63S received the particle filter, named OPF (OTTO particle filter) and definition of this is that the Gasoline particulate filters (GPF) are an emission aftertreatment technology based on diesel particulate filters (DPF), developed to control particulate emissions from gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines. The technology is also referred to as petrol particulate filter (PPF) and, in some German literature, as Otto particle filter (Ottopartikelfilter in German), abbreviated OPF. As such the reason for the difference in sound.

Since your concern has been addressed within the MB dealer network and deemed to have no faults and is operating as design, we must advise again, that we will not perform any adjustments or modifications beyond the vehicle specifications.

If the sound perfomance of the exhaust system for this vehicle was a major factor prior to completing the agreement to purchase the vehicle, this should have been discussed directly with your sales consultant or a test drive be performed to insure specific requirements were met.

The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by OwOamg
I asked them about the crackles and they just blame everything on the particle filter lol

Here is what I got from Mercedes Benz Customer Service Canada:

In regards to other AMG models (AMG GT, AMG GT4 door, E53, and even S63 and G63) there are numersous factors the exhaust system would be different, such as, the size of the exhaust system including the tail pipes & mufflers and the vehicle being tuned differently for each model. While we are not in the position to comment on any forums based on each individual customer complaints, our focus is directed towards the concern you have addressed with Mercedes-Benz Canada. We have confirmed with Daimler that the Model Year (MY) 2019 C63S received the particle filter, named OPF (OTTO particle filter) and definition of this is that the Gasoline particulate filters (GPF) are an emission aftertreatment technology based on diesel particulate filters (DPF), developed to control particulate emissions from gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines. The technology is also referred to as petrol particulate filter (PPF) and, in some German literature, as Otto particle filter (Ottopartikelfilter in German), abbreviated OPF. As such the reason for the difference in sound.

Since your concern has been addressed within the MB dealer network and deemed to have no faults and is operating as design, we must advise again, that we will not perform any adjustments or modifications beyond the vehicle specifications.

If the sound perfomance of the exhaust system for this vehicle was a major factor prior to completing the agreement to purchase the vehicle, this should have been discussed directly with your sales consultant or a test drive be performed to insure specific requirements were met.
They are full of sh*t
Old 06-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S
MB Canada’s response is nonsense. The press cars had the particle filter and still poped/crackled.
Uga Uga (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 11:02 AM

I thought North American models didn’t receive the particle filters? Also the pops and bangs are there they just don’t happen as much as in the press cars which did have the particle filters. I would respond with that asking why did the press cars which had the particle filters pop, bang, and crackle much more then?
Old 06-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by purplewidow
I thought North American models didn’t receive the particle filters? Also the pops and bangs are there they just don’t happen as much as in the press cars which did have the particle filters. I would respond with that asking why did the press cars which had the particle filters pop, bang, and crackle much more then?
They also told me: while we understand this is not the response you were hoping for, we must advise this is our final response on the matter and no further review will be performed. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
At least US spec vehicles don't have it according to the detailed options list. The production cars pretty much pop and bang like the press cars, but mostly only in Race mode. I had suspected this before and can confirm now that I've done a few laps on the Nurburgring in Race mode. It pops and bangs pretty loudly and the hotter the car/exhaust gets the more. It definitely attracted spectators to take pictures as I was coming around the corners. People turned around immediately if they had their back against the track. Race mode I believe opens the H valve at the center of the exhaust, so it's louder and more symphonic, including pops and bangs.
Uga Uga (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
At least US spec vehicles don't have it according to the detailed options list. The production cars pretty much pop and bang like the press cars, but mostly only in Race mode. I had suspected this before and can confirm now that I've done a few laps on the Nurburgring in Race mode. It pops and bangs pretty loudly and the hotter the car/exhaust gets the more. It definitely attracted spectators to take pictures as I was coming around the corners. People turned around immediately if they had their back against the track. Race mode I believe opens the H valve at the center of the exhaust, so it's louder and more symphonic, including pops and bangs.
Race Mode actually has nothing to do with the H valve.That valve only responds to engine load and is shut when not pulling hard to reduce drone.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
All the AMGs
Guys just tested the GLC 63 S facelift, with what should be the same exhaust system as our C63’s. You can listen to it below: as you can see it sounds perfect, popping and banging on downshift on demand with no limit as to the number.

I have for the first time mentioned our problem with the C63 exhaust at length in this video (it’s near the tail end) so you can cite my comments if you run into issues with your dealers etc.

I’ve not heard back yet, but I’m pushing now as it’s becoming untenable for me. Link below (enjoy it too, mega car)

The following 7 users liked this post by roken:
NYCSoiL (06-14-2019), playalistic (06-14-2019), purplewidow (06-13-2019), Radon (06-13-2019), Shazbot302 (06-13-2019), Tom⠀ (06-14-2019), Uga Uga (06-14-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG G63, 2020 AMG C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by roken
Guys just tested the GLC 63 S facelift, with what should be the same exhaust system as our C63’s. You can listen to it below: as you can see it sounds perfect, popping and banging on downshift on demand with no limit as to the number.

I have for the first time mentioned our problem with the C63 exhaust at length in this video (it’s near the tail end) so you can cite my comments if you run into issues with your dealers etc.

I’ve not heard back yet, but I’m pushing now as it’s becoming untenable for me. Link below (enjoy it too, mega car)

https://youtu.be/O03ZJHEq2Ck
Hey Roken, you have some contacts inside AMG like F1Mike, have you ever brought it up with him and if so, does he have any information? I don't understand why the USA models at least would not sound like the press release cars, I don't think our laws are as strict as EU.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S
Thanks Roken! Fantastic video! As always, the most well thought out, fun and insightful vids on YT! Please do whatever you can to get their attention. I’m calling them every other week for an update. Things will move much faster if everyone calls in.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
2020 BMW Z4 M40i (production version, not a press car) Listen at 3:00

Old 06-17-2019, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P

https://youtu.be/hE-1VhYqx1s?t=3m
AMG played us all
Radon (07-05-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Yesterday I was out for dinner with my dad and family for Father’s Day.. when we were leaving the restaurant we were parked next to each other so I put it into sport plus and revved it like 5-6 times.. it popped and banged HARD.. I do this everyday and it never sounded like this.. I don’t know if my car woke up and said screw it im popping and banging today or what.. never heard my car like that. I’m praying it continues. Sounded just like the press car, I was shocked even my gf was like “that’s way louder then before”... crazy
Uga Uga (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:14 PM

2019 AMG C63S

https://youtu.be/hE-1VhYqx1s?t=3m
I know. I saw this a week ago and thought the same...
Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
I have been saying this for a while and asked forum members to check this. It does not make any sense for Mercedes to manufacture two different exhaust setups for europe and NA. If the PPF is there in Europe, by logically NA should have them too.
Radon (07-05-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C63S
Bmw exhaust is popping a lot more than amg
Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by munis
I have been saying this for a while and asked forum members to check this. It does not make any sense for Mercedes to manufacture two different exhaust setups for europe and NA. If the PPF is there in Europe, by logically NA should have them too.
The particulate filter is option code 598 and it shows up on European builds under standard options. It doesn't show up on US builds.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by munis
On the new r8 Europe got 10 more hp and the US got a louder different exhaust system. Cars are not guaranteed the same from continent to continent or country to country.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pops and crackles