MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   S Model w/o PE (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/705024-s-model-w-o-pe.html)

poops 04-19-2018 10:17 AM

S Model w/o PE

Looking to pick up a '17 C63S sedan w/o the performance exhaust. Contemplating if it's worth the effort and money to modify the stock exhaust or buy an exhaust system to make up for the lack of the PE. To me, at cold start, the car sounds the same as a PE equipped C63/S. During regular driving, it's difficult (to my ears) to tell the difference as well...

If I do attempt to make up for the lack of the PE, what are some simple/affordable means to achieve this? Purchasing an aftermarket exhaust system is not off the table; I'd just prefer it to be the last resort/option.

For those of you who have an S w/o the PE, what are your thoughts? Regret not having the PE? Or, are you fine w/o it?

Thanks in advance!

midareff1 04-19-2018 10:41 AM

I'm a senior motor-head who took delivery of a 2018 C 63S w/o PE a month ago. Can't imagine why I'd want to make a lot of noise. .... to attract more cops? ... to impress more teenies? ..... to impress myself with how much noise I can make? ... cause I hate music and want to drown it out? ... cause I think I'll get more sex if my car makes more noise? The last car I put an exhaust on was a 1967 Austin Cooper 1275 S (in 1967) and I was in college then. No offense to others who may see it differently, but I find the sedan pleasingly quiet enough in traffic and on the road. I prefer my cars silent and deadly fast, which is what the S sedan is.

raudiace4 04-19-2018 11:28 AM

I have a S coupe without the PE, it's the only option my car doesn't have. I don't think it matters much in my case as I plan to do the AWE track exhaust and downpipes later on anyway. PE is definitely louder on WOT in Race mode though. Not a huge difference.

skim7x 04-19-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by midareff1 (Post 7434061)
I'm a senior motor-head who took delivery of a 2018 C 63S w/o PE a month ago. Can't imagine why I'd want to make a lot of noise. .... to attract more cops? ... to impress more teenies? ..... to impress myself with how much noise I can make? ... cause I hate music and want to drown it out? ... cause I think I'll get more sex if my car makes more noise? The last car I put an exhaust on was a 1967 Austin Cooper 1275 S (in 1967) and I was in college then. No offense to others who may see it differently, but I find the sedan pleasingly quiet enough in traffic and on the road. I prefer my cars silent and deadly fast, which is what the S sedan is.

I respect midareff's choice... but if that was the case, you should have gone with a Tesla... quiet, comfortable, smooth, and honestly the bottom of the range 75D is just as quick as the C63 and is a lot less conspicuous so that you don't have to worry about having too much sex. =D Silent and deadly fast is the definition of Tesla haha.

Originally Posted by poops (Post 7434036)
Looking to pick up a '17 C63S sedan w/o the performance exhaust. Contemplating if it's worth the effort and money to modify the stock exhaust or buy an exhaust system to make up for the lack of the PE. To me, at cold start, the car sounds the same as a PE equipped C63/S. During regular driving, it's difficult (to my ears) to tell the difference as well...
If I do attempt to make up for the lack of the PE, what are some simple/affordable means to achieve this? Purchasing an aftermarket exhaust system is not off the table; I'd just prefer it to be the last resort/option.
For those of you who have an S w/o the PE, what are your thoughts? Regret not having the PE? Or, are you fine w/o it?

I have PE and I personally wouldn't get the car without it... that's one of the biggest reason for getting an AMG -- the sound. I don't think anyone can argue that -- listen to every car review of an AMG and they'll praise the sound... it's just iconic. I'd go so far as to say no PE is a deal-breaker. If you HAD to get a car without PE, that's okay, just get an aftermarket exhaust like Akrapovic, Fi, or orther reputable exhaust, they sound great. Aside from purchasing an aftermarket exhaust, there is no other way that you'll get a satisfying sound.

midareff1 04-19-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by skim7x (Post 7434127)
I respect midareff's choice... but if that was the case, you should have gone with a Tesla... quiet, comfortable, smooth, and honestly the bottom of the range 75D is just as quick as the C63 and is a lot less conspicuous so that you don't have to worry about having too much sex. =D Silent and deadly fast is the definition of Tesla haha.

LOL.. recommend a car with no motor for a motor-head. To me Tesla is like Alfa in the 60's.. they will be here until the day they aren't then there will be no parts, no warranty and just grief. It's OK skim, the right car for me sdoesn't have to be the right car for you.

Polar63s 04-19-2018 06:12 PM

Hey Poops. I have a 16 C63s sedan with non PE. I had Renntech's Sport Mufflers put on it and LOVE it. They have a good video comparison on line showing the stock vs. muffler only vs. muffler and dp's. When in Sport + and Race, the sound is amazing, without making it sound tinny, or altering the great sound that the car comes with. I just wanted something that would perhaps deepen and/or make a touch louder, without changing it all together. I'de say they nailed it, and by toggling down to comfort, I can quiet it down just enough, if needed in those rare instances. When I first picked it up, there was only a slight drone for like 2 days, but then that totally went away and the sound just got better and better. I was told that they needed to "burn-in" or sort of cure, going through those first cycles of heating and cooling on your car. Well, they did and they are great. Hope that helps.

infra 04-19-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by midareff1 (Post 7434061)

The PE in quiet mode is quieter than the non-PE. So, based on your criterion of silence, you checked the wrong option box.

midareff1 04-19-2018 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by infra (Post 7434516)
The PE in quiet mode is quieter than the non-PE. So, based on your criterion of silence, you checked the wrong option box.

The one I test drove (18 Sedan) with the PE in comfort mode was louder than my non PE car., same mode. So no, I didn't check the wrong box.

vaelin 04-19-2018 11:34 PM

Actually infra's right. The PE, when flaps are closed, is quieter than the non-PE exhaust. When flaps are open on PE, it's the same as the non-PE.

AWE Tuning actually did some tests to verify, scroll to the bottom of this page: https://www.awe-tuning.com/mercedes-c63-exhaust

And given I have a tuned C63S *and* a Tesla, where my Tesla destroys both the tuned C63S and tuned 911 Turbo.. it's freaking incredible. My 11 second minivan. It's almost as fun to drive. Just doesn't have that visceral sound of the V8. As for the risk of a car with no parts and no warranty.. to each their own to assume the worse. Tesla's a game changer, and I'm fine with being an early adopter.

Tesla's assets are such that even if they went under, any number of the established manufacturers would jump all over acquiring the ensuing fire-sale. And remember, these things need very little maintenance to begin with. No transmission, a tenth of the moving parts, and the consumables are standard (tires, brake pads/discs). It's not the 1960s anymore.

Sanch 04-20-2018 12:42 AM

OP get the option with the performance exhaust option if possible!

Anyone with a C63 complaining that it is "too loud" you're indeed one of a kind and you need to look at getting a c300.

One of the reasons to buy this car is the V8 and to listen to that awesome soundtrack. It gives the car personality... It has nothing to do with attracting cops or impressing teens.

You're one of a kind if not the only one. Please do not make the OP make the wrong decision.

Sanch 04-20-2018 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by vaelin (Post 7434712)
It's not the 1960s anymore.

THIS. :rolf:

midareff1 04-20-2018 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by vaelin (Post 7434712)
Actually infra's right. The PE, when flaps are closed, is quieter than the non-PE exhaust. When flaps are open on PE, it's the same as the non-PE.

AWE Tuning actually did some tests to verify, scroll to the bottom of this page: https://www.awe-tuning.com/mercedes-c63-exhaust

And given I have a tuned C63S *and* a Tesla, where my Tesla destroys both the tuned C63S and tuned 911 Turbo.. it's freaking incredible. My 11 second minivan. It's almost as fun to drive. Just doesn't have that visceral sound of the V8. As for the risk of a car with no parts and no warranty.. to each their own to assume the worse. Tesla's a game changer, and I'm fine with being an early adopter.

Tesla's assets are such that even if they went under, any number of the established manufacturers would jump all over acquiring the ensuing fire-sale. And remember, these things need very little maintenance to begin with. No transmission, a tenth of the moving parts, and the consumables are standard (tires, brake pads/discs). It's not the 1960s anymore.

Might be time to dump the slow ones and get two more Teslas. You can make a recording of the exhaust sounds of the other two and play them in the T cars.

skim7x 04-20-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by midareff1 (Post 7434947)
You can make a recording of the exhaust sounds of the other two and play them in the T cars.

HAHAHAH... BMW's doing it... maybe they SHOULD do that :rofl:

right_mr 04-20-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sanch (Post 7434742)
OP get the option with the performance exhaust option if possible!

Anyone with a C63 complaining that it is "too loud" you're indeed one of a kind and you need to look at getting a c300.

One of the reasons to buy this car is the V8 and to listen to that awesome soundtrack. It gives the car personality... It has nothing to do with attracting cops or impressing teens.

You're one of a kind if not the only one. Please do not make the OP make the wrong decision.

I wouldnt get it without the performance exhaust, personally. no sir....

vaelin 04-20-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by midareff1 (Post 7434947)
Might be time to dump the slow ones and get two more Teslas. You can make a recording of the exhaust sounds of the other two and play them in the T cars.

Your sarcasm fails, as I actually do have a reservation on the upcoming revised Roadster, which will replace the 911. I'll keep the C63 until I replace it with another V8, probably from AMG.. like the GT63.

Instead of poo-poo'ing on changing trends pulling the "back in my day..." routine, some of us do like to embrace the changes such that we can be at the forefront. Not to say you're wrong in your opinion, but you saying others are wrong with a holier-than-thou-because-I'm-older attitude is what kills the enthusiast market.. others are entitled to their opinions too.

Anyways, the BMW fake sounds in the cabin is one of many reasons why I won't get an M car. The Tesla has it's own unique sounds when you're punching it.. like that of a space ship whirring.

RDOCA 04-20-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by midareff1 (Post 7434547)
The one I test drove (18 Sedan) with the PE in comfort mode was louder than my non PE car., same mode. So no, I didn't check the wrong box.

Your wrong

midareff1 04-20-2018 01:51 PM

Oh well... I guess I'm wrong for not ordering something I didn't want, because all of you seem to have the opinion the OP, and I, should have ordered it because you and your value system wanted it and ordered it. I spent 5 years with a 2013 C350 that was almost ordered as an AMG, but as a new retiree I didn't want to go the extra coin at that time. Finally got what I wanted, ordered the way I wanted it and waited 16 weeks to delivery. I wanted a better cornering suspension, more power, more acceleration available at highway speeds, more comfort and to tick off my bucket list either an AMG or Brabus Benz. You don't approve of the way I ordered my car or my reasoning for doing so...... .. that's OK, for those of you who are acronym savvy, DILLIGAS..

vaelin 04-22-2018 12:00 AM

Naw, no one took issue to you ordering the way you did. Only took issue to you judging others. From wanting a louder exhaust, to driving electric cars, all your comments while useful were laced with holier-than-thou attitude. That's what we didn't give a s about.

skim7x 04-22-2018 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by midareff1 (Post 7434444)
LOL.. recommend a car with no motor for a motor-head.

By the way, the Tesla does have a motor (2, actually), Mr. "Motor-head."

Fordgt40 04-22-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by poops (Post 7434036)

Thanks in advance!

Difficult one this, my previous one didn’t have PE and was very loud on cold start up but went quiet after a minute or so but went a bit noisier on acceleration and popped and crackled in sport plus on the overrun, my present one has PE and when activated is not quite as noisey on start up but does not quieten down so much when warmed up and still does all the pops and crackles in S plus, both versions go very quiet when stationary though, non PE more so, in my opinion it’s too expensive for the small improvement in sound quality but all in all I’m glad I chose the performance exhaust if only for the re sale value.

Uga Uga 04-22-2018 10:09 AM

PE gives you more crackles and pops.
One of the reasons, if not the main, for buying an AMG is the NOISE :)

Uga Uga 04-22-2018 10:09 AM

PE gives you more crackles and pops.
One of the reasons, if not the main, for buying an AMG is the NOISE :)