Sponsored by:

Damaged Coolers From Road Debris

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Damaged Heat Exchangers From Road Debris

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue???

A semi pull out in front of me on the highway on Sunday and covered my car in debris from its trailer.

I got stuck behind him briefly till I could get out into another lane and away from all the crap he sprayed all over the road and my car.

I washed the car later that day to find red coolant on the garage floor.

Initially I thought the radiator had been punctured so I went and got the system pressure tested.

On inspection we found that the small coolant reservoir on top of the engine in front of the turbos had emptied out.

The radiator guy topped it up and pressure tested it to find a pin hole leak in the cooler that sits vertically in front of the radiator (Is this the water to air transmission cooler?).

I have heard from a mate that these coolers have been damaged on a number of cars from similar situations.

All three of my coolers are now now heavily dented from this debris.

Any thoughts on repair, warranty, upgrade replacements and mods on how we can stop debris from damaging our coolers.

Left air dam cooler

Right air dam cooler

Centre cooler with pin hole leak, connected to small reservoir.

Last edited by RDO247; 05-22-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Wow, that’s crazy.

Look up W213 AMG thread on this topic.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C63s Sedan
Yes w213 forum has a 5 page thread on this. Looks like theirs is more open than ours, and have noted a few issues of leaking coolers due to debris.
Thinking maybe a tighter mesh in front of our OEM mesh might mitigate this issue. Does EC or AMS offer upgraded coolers?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by Schulminator
Yes w213 forum has a 5 page thread on this. Looks like theirs is more open than ours, and have noted a few issues of leaking coolers due to debris.
Thinking maybe a tighter mesh in front of our OEM mesh might mitigate this issue. Does EC or AMS offer upgraded coolers?
Will get to read through that thread shortly but was there any mention of the damage being claimable through warranty or do we just have to suck it up.

If its it's a common issue it could been seen as a fault in design???
Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
Well, to start off, I have had my car at the dealer 5 times now, trying to diagnose a rich coolant smell that I am getting when I pull back in my garage, typically after a spirited drive. They replaced turbo inlet lines, o rings, pressure tested, compression tested, and nothing. They dyed the coolant systems (hi and lo) and had me run a thousand miles to UV check afterwards. Nothing. I finally called Renntech, as Hartmut, the owner came from AMG, and after speaking to him, he said that he spoke with a guy in Germany at AMG, who mentioned to check the lower intercoolers, since they may have a pinhole leak caused by rock chips from the road surface. The guy told him that they have had numerous issues with this in Germany, as there is no real protective screening to speak of in front of these units, and that the lower right hand intercooler was the more common, as it is the side closest to the accumulated debris, etc., at the side of the road. Hartmut said that perhaps AMG might be working on some sort of retrofit solution. Ironically, I was so hoping that this was in fact my problem, as upon hearing this, my dealer replaced both on mine, but after another 1000 miles, the smell is still there and in 1000 miles, that small resevoir was 1/4 in lower in coolant than before.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by Polar63s
Well, to start off, I have had my car at the dealer 5 times now, trying to diagnose a rich coolant smell that I am getting when I pull back in my garage, typically after a spirited drive. They replaced turbo inlet lines, o rings, pressure tested, compression tested, and nothing. They dyed the coolant systems (hi and lo) and had me run a thousand miles to UV check afterwards. Nothing. I finally called Renntech, as Hartmut, the owner came from AMG, and after speaking to him, he said that he spoke with a guy in Germany at AMG, who mentioned to check the lower intercoolers, since they may have a pinhole leak caused by rock chips from the road surface. The guy told him that they have had numerous issues with this in Germany, as there is no real protective screening to speak of in front of these units, and that the lower right hand intercooler was the more common, as it is the side closest to the accumulated debris, etc., at the side of the road. Hartmut said that perhaps AMG might be working on some sort of retrofit solution. Ironically, I was so hoping that this was in fact my problem, as upon hearing this, my dealer replaced both on mine, but after another 1000 miles, the smell is still there and in 1000 miles, that small resevoir was 1/4 in lower in coolant than before.
Good to know, what country are you in?

I wonder if we can use this forum to raise this issue here in Australia.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:26 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Wow, that’s crazy.

Look up W213 AMG thread on this topic.
Can you put a link to the page so everyone can have a read.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
I can see this happening often with this kind of design. I had plans to just buy some screen mesh sheets and tack it in front of the coolers. I first heard about this issue with Shmee's car I believe with his GTR.

Last edited by amg8; 05-15-2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Add image
Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 PM

C63S
Originally Posted by amg8
I can see this happening often with this kind of design. I had plans to just buy some screen mesh sheets and tack it in front of the coolers. I first heard about this issue with Shmee's car I believe with his GTR.
Oh boy, anyone else have issues.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:23 PM

C63S
Does anyone know excactly what cooler sits vertically in front of the radiator?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s
I am located in the US.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
It’s a terrible design. This has happened to AMG GT, E and C class owners. There needs to be a recall.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 s
Originally Posted by RDO247

Good to know, what country are you in?

I wonder if we can use this forum to raise this issue here in Australia.

[img]blob:https://mbworld.org/756a3970-951a-482c-8dfd-9a83f3236024[/img]
Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 AM

C63S

Last edited by RDO247; 05-19-2018 at 05:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDO247:
Jan AMG (05-20-2018), Uga Uga (05-20-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a UFO
Mesh would blocks some of the air, thus reducing effectiveness of the cooler? this is where the adage of "power, reliability, cost, pick 2" comes in.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I don't think the air flow would be reduced too much by the mesh. Maybe 1-2% at the most. Mesh is much better than coolers damaged by stones and a potential failure.

I have to make a custom mesh for my CLS soon.

My guess is damaged coolers such as mine below could have their effectivity reduced by ± 3-5%.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
MB sure will be getting lots of complaints. Maybe it will turn into a recall.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by otakki
MB sure will be getting lots of complaints. Maybe it will turn into a recall.
We need more owners to post up pictures and experiences.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by RDO247

We need more owners to post up pictures and experiences.

Our cars (W205-C63)have a grill to help some and it cant be too small of mesh as it would stop too much air. I have been on this forum for 3 years and have not seen much problems with our cars. Maybe the GT has more??

Last edited by RDOCA; 05-23-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by TLDream
Mesh would blocks some of the air, thus reducing effectiveness of the cooler? this is where the adage of "power, reliability, cost, pick 2" comes in.
This is exactly true as all performance cars with turbos will have coolers and even cars with Superchargers need a lot of air as if you remember the ZO6 was having cooling problems on the track and the new ZR1 I think has something like 13 coolers. If they put a small mesh over them they would not be as effective. It is just a one of the things we live with. You have engine radiator and engine oil coolers and trans coolers and turbo inter cooler radiators and some have differential coolers and they have to be getting a lot of air so some damage in some circumstances is going to happen.

Last edited by RDOCA; 05-23-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Had this exact thing happen to me earlier this year while on a trip out of state. I was on a back highway with a horribly patched part of asphalt on the other aide of the road. An 18 wheeler hit it and threw asphalt pieces all over the front of my car.

I first noticed something mechanically was wrong a few hours later when I got close to my destination. My transmission oil temp started running high. Normally it is steady at 183F, but it stayed steady at 190F instead and would climb when I slowed down from highway speed. Got up to low 220s when I finally got to the hotel.

I called up my mechanic right away, and he and I tried to remotely diagnose the car. For whatever reason I initially didn't think about the asphalt pieces maybe causing it, and when I looked at the reservoir on top the engine it didn't look empty because a bit of a bit of residual coolant caught in the front corner. My mechanic first thought it could be one of the two pumps going bad. He said they are cheap POS pumps and break all the time. By that point though, I noticed the front radiator was wet.

Found a piece of asphalt basically melted to the radiator, almost like it hit and the molded/formed to the radiator, mostly patching the hole that it had made. I pretty much had a slow leak the entire way to my destination that finally went dry right before I got there. We didn't find the leak location until everything cooled off and the asphalt piece popped off when I tried to refill the resevoir. It was pretty noticeble too; a stream of water was shooting out thw front grille directly onto my foot. To onlookers I'm sure it looked like Herbie from The Love Bug peeing on someone's foot.

According to my mechanic, the low-temp circuit that was hit is a pretty weird design because it ties the transmission cooler line and the air intercooler line into the same circuit. He said other than the high transmission temps I should have also felt a pretty noticeable drop in power because of the inability to cool the intake air. The ECU would have gone into a soft safe mode to prevent damage. He said that more than likely wouldn't have thrown a CEL but would have been recorded where he'd have been able to read it.

Had to leave my car for a week at an out-of-state dealer waiting on parts. They ended up covering it under warranty. Even my mechanic didn't expect them to do it. But they did. I told them pretty much the same story as above, so it's not like they didn't know what caused it. But for whatever reason they covered it.

That being said, they did do a crappy job otherwise. My front bumper was crooked (not bad, bit nociteable), and they cleaned up none of the coolant mess left by the leak. Not only that, they didn't bleed it properly either and had to deal with bubbles belching coolant out the relief hole all over the top of my engine for several weeks after I got the car back.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63S, BMW M4, AMG E63S
All this is scary. I think this is also caused by the design that the intakes are too close to road surface. It needs more than those big hole grills.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 s
more pictures

Old 05-25-2018, 07:04 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by msd3075
Had this exact thing happen to me earlier this year while on a trip out of state. I was on a back highway with a horribly patched part of asphalt on the other aide of the road. An 18 wheeler hit it and threw asphalt pieces all over the front of my car.

I first noticed something mechanically was wrong a few hours later when I got close to my destination. My transmission oil temp started running high. Normally it is steady at 183F, but it stayed steady at 190F instead and would climb when I slowed down from highway speed. Got up to low 220s when I finally got to the hotel.

I called up my mechanic right away, and he and I tried to remotely diagnose the car. For whatever reason I initially didn't think about the asphalt pieces maybe causing it, and when I looked at the reservoir on top the engine it didn't look empty because a bit of a bit of residual coolant caught in the front corner. My mechanic first thought it could be one of the two pumps going bad. He said they are cheap POS pumps and break all the time. By that point though, I noticed the front radiator was wet.

Found a piece of asphalt basically melted to the radiator, almost like it hit and the molded/formed to the radiator, mostly patching the hole that it had made. I pretty much had a slow leak the entire way to my destination that finally went dry right before I got there. We didn't find the leak location until everything cooled off and the asphalt piece popped off when I tried to refill the resevoir. It was pretty noticeble too; a stream of water was shooting out thw front grille directly onto my foot. To onlookers I'm sure it looked like Herbie from The Love Bug peeing on someone's foot.

According to my mechanic, the low-temp circuit that was hit is a pretty weird design because it ties the transmission cooler line and the air intercooler line into the same circuit. He said other than the high transmission temps I should have also felt a pretty noticeable drop in power because of the inability to cool the intake air. The ECU would have gone into a soft safe mode to prevent damage. He said that more than likely wouldn't have thrown a CEL but would have been recorded where he'd have been able to read it.

Had to leave my car for a week at an out-of-state dealer waiting on parts. They ended up covering it under warranty. Even my mechanic didn't expect them to do it. But they did. I told them pretty much the same story as above, so it's not like they didn't know what caused it. But for whatever reason they covered it.

That being said, they did do a crappy job otherwise. My front bumper was crooked (not bad, bit nociteable), and they cleaned up none of the coolant mess left by the leak. Not only that, they didn't bleed it properly either and had to deal with bubbles belching coolant out the relief hole all over the top of my engine for several weeks after I got the car back.
Yep, similar thing happened with mine.

Good to hear that warranty replaced yours.

Lets see how I go.

I've got someone who will fabricate new upgraded units for me.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 150 Likes on 36 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8
I have the same damage on my 2017 coupe. Dealership is quoting $1,800 to get radiator replaced. I'm trying to get MBUSA to cover this but we'll see how it goes. Anyone else have luck with getting it covered under warranty?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Damaged Coolers From Road Debris