Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust flaps sometimes not opening?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
Question Exhaust flaps sometimes not opening?

So I have the performance exhaust ( sport+ mode ) and once in awhile for a minute or so when driving spiritedly, the exhaust flaps does not open at all. For example normally when doing WOT and letting off, you can hear the rumble, burble, cracks and pops. But for some reason some times the flaps seems to stay closed almost as if driving in comfort mode with exhaust button off. The sound is muffled and muted. And at the same time, I can feel the car is losing power almost like it is pulling timing. Then after a 1 minute of that or perhaps I park and restart, it is fine again. But it will eventually come back also.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by amg8
So I have the performance exhaust ( sport+ mode ) and once in awhile for a minute or so when driving spiritedly, the exhaust flaps does not open at all. For example normally when doing WOT and letting off, you can hear the rumble, burble, cracks and pops. But for some reason some times the flaps seems to stay closed almost as if driving in comfort mode with exhaust button off. The sound is muffled and muted. And at the same time, I can feel the car is losing power almost like it is pulling timing. Then after a 1 minute of that or perhaps I park and restart, it is fine again. But it will eventually come back also.

How many miles on your car? I have a 16 sedan and it did it to me for a while early on. They had a TSB for a turbo vacuum hose that fixed it. Watch the HP and TQ screen and the boost screen to see more what is happening and to tell the dealer.I had about 300 HP showing when it happened but after a restart it would give 500 HP.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:52 PM

MY17 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by RDOCA
How many miles on your car? I have a 16 sedan and it did it to me for a while early on. They had a TSB for a turbo vacuum hose that fixed it. Watch the HP and TQ screen and the boost screen to see more what is happening and to tell the dealer.I had about 300 HP showing when it happened but after a restart it would give 500 HP.
I have a 17 MY so I thought the vacuum hose thing didn't affect it or at least I've never got any notice of the TSB. My car has 11k miles currently.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1
I think your having the same issue check this out https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/70...st-button.html
The following users liked this post:
amg8 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 AM

MY17 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by Gts-killer
I think your having the same issue check this out https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/70...st-button.html
Thanks for sharing, however my issue is slightly different in that the exhaust light is always on. I never see it going off.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Thanks for sharing, however my issue is slightly different in that the exhaust light is always on. I never see it going off.
I think its stuck.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM

MY17 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by munis
I think its stuck.
I can still turn it on/off at will so it doesn't seem to be stuck.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 c63 S AMG
Had the same issue. Actually mine was making bird squeaking noises when opening and closing. only have 2k miles on the car. Took it to the shop, they greased it the first time. NAHHH BUDDY! happened 1 day later. Went back. Got all the actuators replaced on the exhaust. So far so good so we shall see. USE THAT MFG WARRANTY people
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 PM

MY17 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by lilmanvc15
Had the same issue. Actually mine was making bird squeaking noises when opening and closing. only have 2k miles on the car. Took it to the shop, they greased it the first time. NAHHH BUDDY! happened 1 day later. Went back. Got all the actuators replaced on the exhaust. So far so good so we shall see. USE THAT MFG WARRANTY people
Did you feel a loss in power when the flaps didn't open completely? And when you took it in, did they find any error codes?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:11 PM

MY17 C63s Sedan
Update: went in to the dealer to get this checked but unfortunately they didn't find anything wrong. They test drove it and it was fine and also they circuit tested the actuator and said it was working properly.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 Benz C63S Coupe
Hey buddy,

I’m actually getting the same noise from my c63s. I do have the AWE track exhaust though. Just in contact with AWE regarding the matter. Cause the sound goes away if I press the h-pipe valve to closed - No bird noise/squeak. But when I have it open and let off the gas, I can hear the noise, esp around 1800-2000 rpm.

Changing the actuator corrected it ? I only have one, since the track exhaust eliminates the mufflers..

QUOTE=lilmanvc15;7484107]Had the same issue. Actually mine was making bird squeaking noises when opening and closing. only have 2k miles on the car. Took it to the shop, they greased it the first time. NAHHH BUDDY! happened 1 day later. Went back. Got all the actuators replaced on the exhaust. So far so good so we shall see. USE THAT MFG WARRANTY people[/QUOTE]
Old 07-18-2018, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63 bril
I had the same problem there was an update for the software for the exhaust once that was done no issues actually the update made the car much louder with pops and bangs.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
From what I understand, the new 2019 cars have a particle filter and also a different ECU mapping which all but eliminates the pops and crackles the 2018 and prior W205 models had. Best you will get is some low burbling if you rev it high on race mode. Truly disappointing that AMG thought this was a good idea. Only possible way to get the pops and bangs back would likely be removal of the particle filter/aftermarket exhaust and a custom ECU remap
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by Whalekiller
From what I understand, the new 2019 cars have a particle filter and also a different ECU mapping which all but eliminates the pops and crackles the 2018 and prior W205 models had. Best you will get is some low burbling if you rev it high on race mode. Truly disappointing that AMG thought this was a good idea. Only possible way to get the pops and bangs back would likely be removal of the particle filter/aftermarket exhaust and a custom ECU remap

He he said he has a ‘17 and it’s in his info
Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 306 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by 1 SIC DR

Hey buddy,

I’m actually getting the same noise from my c63s. I do have the AWE track exhaust though. Just in contact with AWE regarding the matter. Cause the sound goes away if I press the h-pipe valve to closed - No bird noise/squeak. But when I have it open and let off the gas, I can hear the noise, esp around 1800-2000 rpm.

Changing the actuator corrected it ? I only have one, since the track exhaust eliminates it
i have the AWE switchback exhaust, and had the valve sticking , flapping, etc etc, had them send me a NEW “H” pipe section , and that solved it.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63s
Exhaust issue

Yes I have been dealing with this problem for months now. My car is a 2018 e63s ran great for over an year. All of a sudden I was not making boost. I went to Mercedes they told me there is nothing wrong. So I went to another shop and they told me it was my exhaust flaps were not opening. So went back to Mercedes they put a new right valve in worked for a week and now I’m having the same problem. When I brought it in they updated the software as well. Now I have to bring it back to Mercedes and wait to see what happens. But I’m told this is very common problem as all the parts are backed ordered for 6 months. If anyone has any ideas or solutions please help!
Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
Im currently working on a solution. DM me and I can assist you. I also have an E63 and my driver side valve keeps getting stuck. once you clean it it will work fine for 3-4 days but then it will get stuck again. I got the rentech valve controller in order to leave them open all the time but the car has a self cleaning procedure and will close and open the valves 3 times every so often. that will case the valves to get stuck again. So now Im working on an adapter that will eliminate the valve all together
Old 11-06-2020, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S 560 4Matic
Exhaust flaps

Originally Posted by Rmontuori
Yes I have been dealing with this problem for months now. My car is a 2018 e63s ran great for over an year. All of a sudden I was not making boost. I went to Mercedes they told me there is nothing wrong. So I went to another shop and they told me it was my exhaust flaps were not opening. So went back to Mercedes they put a new right valve in worked for a week and now I’m having the same problem. When I brought it in they updated the software as well. Now I have to bring it back to Mercedes and wait to see what happens. But I’m told this is very common problem as all the parts are backed ordered for 6 months. If anyone has any ideas or solutions please help!
Short story long, without bragging about myself driving almost 2 million miles by now on in total.
I own and drive the 2018 S 560 4 Matic. 170,000 miles on it. The exhaust heats and cools obviously constantly. Eventually, the flaps seize. I disconnected the control unit, used a torch and applied the heat on both ends of the flaps. Using a long metal extension, I worked the flaps up and down. It worked. It is a design flow in my view. Good idea, bad design by MB. Eventually, I simply removed the control units of both sides, and removed the springs inside of each unit, to eliminate unpleasant clicking noise from the device. Left the flaps wide open and it works for