MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Squeaky KMAC Ft Bushings (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/713581-squeaky-kmac-ft-bushings.html)

C3504matic 07-11-2018 10:04 PM

Squeaky KMAC Ft Bushings

Anyone else have this problem ? Mine make a low squeak/squeal when turned lock to lock . We lubricated the crap out of them when installed ........... If yours do or did ...did it go away over time ?

RDO247 07-12-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by C3504matic (Post 7500004)
Anyone else have this problem ? Mine make a low squeak/squeal when turned lock to lock . We lubricated the crap out of them when installed ........... If yours do or did ...did it go away over time ?

No issues here and had mine for a long while now...

Schulminator 07-12-2018 07:20 PM

No issues here either....

HRD2PLZ 01-22-2019 08:55 AM

I am having this issue as well. Very loud squeaking when wheel turns. I have emailed K-Mac for support, no response from them. Very disappointing for a product so expensive.

C3504matic are yours still making noise?

K-Mac 01-22-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by HRD2PLZ (Post 7660671)
I am having this issue as well. Very loud squeaking when wheel turns. I have emailed K-Mac for support, no response from them. Very disappointing for a product so expensive.

C3504matic are yours still making noise?

Cannot see a previous email (we do pride ourselves on always responding within 24 hours).

Over last 25 years we have developed front and rear Camber, Caster (and extra Toe) adjuster kits for virtually every model Mercedes including AMG's SUV's and Commercials. All using our patented design single wrench adjustment system.

IT IS ALL ABOUT CONSTANTLY REVIEWING, UPDATING DESIGNS......
SQUEAK ISSUES IS EITHER OF 2 THINGS:

1. A lock nut not fully tight.

Most lock nuts depend on reverse teeth and therefore must be fully tight to function. 2014 we developed a unique lock tab system where once in place it is impossible for nut to inadvertently loosen.

2. Front bushings (Thrust arm - providing "Caster" adjustment).

Have designed these as a Mono ball / 2 axis bush. Allowing to delete the OEM oil and air voided rubber bushings. Result is noticeably improved brake and steering response.

This design also increases by 2.5 times the load bearing / surface area. For extended life we do manufacture these bushings with tight tolerances. Pointing out in instructions to not force when adjusting. But reviewing have found when adjusting (accurately under load on alignment rack) situations where if excess force is applied the center hardened steel center can separate!

Wanting to make all our products "bullet proof" we met this challenge by designing so the entire Mono ball and center is now one integral unit!

If you check and find all 4 nuts are fully tight - placing a hand on each of the 2 forward facing thrust arm bushes should easily establish which one has movement / noise!
If so advise address and will air express the replacement bush as per below pic.

Kevin

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fbf878c20f.png

C3504matic 01-23-2019 12:06 AM

Yes mine still squeak . Kevin sent me a couple of replacement bushing but they look to be the same and he said he also sent me another set to replace all my bushing but what I got was 2 bushing and 4 caps which confused me . I haven't installed them as I'm not driving it during the winter and not sure if I will or just go back to stock because I don't like the steering feel I have .... It seems to get harder when I turn further into the turn and it would fall into the turn . They are installed properly and have had numerous alignments completed and they are within range ......apparently Kevin feels the centers may be stripped out of the urethane . I find the whole thing frustrating and I get charged $600 each time I have them changed . I'll decide in the spring what I'm going to do and whether to change out the 2 bushings he supplied and not sure what he wanted me to do with the 4 caps he sent . I emailed him and he didn't respond

K-Mac 01-23-2019 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Re "mine still squeak" - as haven't installed the two new design replacement Caster bushes sent as they look to be the same.... and 4 caps which confused me.

On checking do see in reply to your email 26th November the two new upgraded thrust arm "Caster" bushes were sent. Not the camber as they have always been this new "one integral center" as explained in above message yesterday.

Allowing no matter what excess load applied when adjustment is being made centers cannot separate.

The 4 caps also included (as per instruction sheet Step F) are the "end caps" having a location dowel on inner face that locates in corresponding hole either side of the bush - see pics below showing this smaller hole alongside the bolt hole.

As advised yesterday reply - we are constantly designing, developing (and upgrading) new adjuster kits to cater for lack of alignment adjustment OEM.

It does open our company to controversy - good example is the actual single wrench adjustment system for W205 models....

This K-MAC patented invention resolved the labour, time consuming and inaccurate system that has been around for last 40 or so years....

"Changing an alignment setting" required the removal of each bush and the trial and error, inaccurate re positioning to a new setting.

Now it is fast single wrench - carried out accurately (under load) - direct on alignment rack!

Feedback from alignment shops (used to the above previous method) on initially examining / asking "how can this possibly work" - but once they get their head around it ....stationary outer casing, then an inner bolt which locks / engages the central bush allowing an alignment setting change requiring only "the rotating of the bolt head" (often said simplest design is the best design).

Kevin

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d23febfaaf.jpg https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...37c310a73c.png

Fame Douglas 01-24-2019 06:49 PM

Aren't squeaky bushings just part of the game when you're using stronger/heavier materials? I've been driving a GT3 lately and I hear some bushing squeak from it over certain types of bumps in the road.

K-Mac 01-24-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fame Douglas (Post 7663318)
Aren't squeaky bushings just part of the game when you're using stronger/heavier materials? I've been driving a GT3 lately and I hear some bushing squeak from it over certain types of bumps in the road.

No - we have been manufacturing aftermarket performance bushings since 1964.

It is all to do with selection of material / durometer, the actual design also with no metal to metal contact and eliminating any looseness!

Kevin

HRD2PLZ 01-25-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by K-Mac (Post 7661415)
Cannot see a previous email (we do pride ourselves on always responding within 24 hours).

Over last 25 years we have developed front and rear Camber, Caster (and extra Toe) adjuster kits for virtually every model Mercedes including AMG's SUV's and Commercials. All using our patented design single wrench adjustment system.

IT IS ALL ABOUT CONSTANTLY REVIEWING, UPDATING DESIGNS......
SQUEAK ISSUES IS EITHER OF 2 THINGS:

1. A lock nut not fully tight.

Most lock nuts depend on reverse teeth and therefore must be fully tight to function. 2014 we developed a unique lock tab system where once in place it is impossible for nut to inadvertently loosen.

2. Front bushings (Thrust arm - providing "Caster" adjustment).

Have designed these as a Mono ball / 2 axis bush. Allowing to delete the OEM oil and air voided rubber bushings. Result is noticeably improved brake and steering response.

This design also increases by 2.5 times the load bearing / surface area. For extended life we do manufacture these bushings with tight tolerances. Pointing out in instructions to not force when adjusting. But reviewing have found when adjusting (accurately under load on alignment rack) situations where if excess force is applied the center hardened steel center can separate!

Wanting to make all our products "bullet proof" we met this challenge by designing so the entire Mono ball and center is now one integral unit!

If you check and find all 4 nuts are fully tight - placing a hand on each of the 2 forward facing thrust arm bushes should easily establish which one has movement / noise!
If so advise address and will air express the replacement bush as per below pic.

Kevin

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fbf878c20f.png

My email was sent on 1\16, still no response. Here is a copy:
Hi Kevin,I took the car back and had them check the bushings. They are fully tight at 90ft/lbs. Squeaking is getting worst. They did verify noise is coming from front bushings on both sides. Can you please give more detail on how to further troubleshoot and resolve?
Also, I live in South Florida. Are there any mechanics in the area you could refer that may have experience with this issue?

K-Mac 01-25-2019 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by HRD2PLZ (Post 7663710)
My email was sent on 1\16, still no response. Here is a copy:
Hi Kevin,I took the car back and had them check the bushings. They are fully tight at 90ft/lbs. Squeaking is getting worst. They did verify noise is coming from front bushings on both sides. Can you please give more detail on how to further troubleshoot and resolve?
Also, I live in South Florida. Are there any mechanics in the area you could refer that may have experience with this issue?

Oh the trials , tribulations of designing, creating new alignment products to fill a market need!

But at end of day proudly do feel it sure is a whole lot better than merely sourcing imports , relabelling .... or simply sitting on the fence “doing nothing flawlessly” with resultant no controversy - and simply plagiarizing the design effort and exhaustive R & D of others.

Can see where replied asking you to identify if was one of the thrust arm Caster bushes – the center had detached when adjustment was made. You came back on 16th this month verifying above so I to be aware what to dispatch. Do apologize, as obviously I overlooked this email.

This coming Monday in Australia is a public holiday (Australia Day). Now know your address so will send out Tuesday DHL air express pair of the new design thrust arm / Caster "replacement" bushes with the one piece centers eliminating this situation re-occuring.

Again do apologize. Best Regards Kevin

gOt BoOsT 01-26-2019 08:22 AM

@K-Mac The catalog link in your sign is kind of confusing as to what exact front and rear kit I want for camber adjustability. Do you have a full front and rear replacement kit? If so can you post part number? Thanks!

HRD2PLZ 01-28-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by K-Mac (Post 7664439)
Oh the trials , tribulations of designing, creating new alignment products to fill a market need!

But at end of day proudly do feel it sure is a whole lot better than merely sourcing imports , relabelling .... or simply sitting on the fence “doing nothing flawlessly” with resultant no controversy - and simply plagiarizing the design effort and exhaustive R & D of others.

Can see where replied asking you to identify if was one of the thrust arm Caster bushes – the center had detached when adjustment was made. You came back on 16th this month verifying above so I to be aware what to dispatch. Do apologize, as obviously I overlooked this email.

This coming Monday in Australia is a public holiday (Australia Day). Now know your address so will send out Tuesday DHL air express pair of the new design thrust arm / Caster "replacement" bushes with the one piece centers eliminating this situation re-occuring.

Thanks Kevin,
I look forward to receiving the updated design. I will reply to email to confirm shipping address.

K-Mac 01-28-2019 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT (Post 7664549)
@K-Mac The catalog link in your sign is kind of confusing as to what exact front and rear kit I want for camber adjustability. Do you have a full front and rear replacement kit? If so can you post part number? Thanks!

Catalog(front page of web site) see Page 5 "Quick Reference" 6th line down is C63S Front Camber & Caster adjuster kit #503316 K further down Rear Kits Camber (and extra Toe) All W205 #502226 K.

Also manufactured front upper wishbone inner adjustable bushings for Track days up to (extra 2 degree pos. or neg.) - wanting to further reduce understeer, increase cornering traction #503216-1 K

Along with uprated bushings for the 6 rear multi link arms. Noticeable improvement to rear end stability - less twitch, flex, loss of traction. Especially when applying power lane changing / overtaking #502628 K.

Kits $480 each DHL air $30 one kit $20 each additional.

HRD2PLZ 01-30-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by K-Mac (Post 7664439)

Kevin,
I have not received a response from my email confirming the replacement part has been shipped. Can you please respond with tracking information?

K-Mac 01-30-2019 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by HRD2PLZ (Post 7668231)
Kevin,
I have not received a response from my email confirming the replacement part has been shipped. Can you please respond with tracking information?

On checking is scheduled for you to receive next Monday.

Sending you direct DHL Track #

Best regards
Kevin

HRD2PLZ 03-07-2019 01:40 PM

Kevin,I received the replacement thrust arm bushing with the new design. The car is at the shop to install them and the mechanic is telling me the noise is coming from the control arm bushings and not the thrust arm. Is it possible the control arm bushings have separated? I thought these already had the new one piece design?Regardless, I need a new set. Can you send a replacement of the control arm bushings in exchange for thrust?Thanks

K-Mac 03-07-2019 07:25 PM

Hi Hooman

Thanks for supplying just now the alignment shop phone #

As you advised on checking was not the previously sent Caster but lower arm Camber bushes!

So do need to find out first hand: resolve once and for all the problem. This K-MAC bushing design now in production since 1994 (25 years). Well and truly proven re long term noiseless operation.

Spoke to Mike - he advising never did original installation. That the side with noise the bushing is loose.

Pointed out obvious this bush from initial installation was not fully tight. Arduous working conditions of suspension components full tightness is essential.

Otherwise constant and ongoing fore / aft movement on brake and acceleration will result in looseness / noise - metal to metal contact.

Have advised Mike he will receive Monday next - this time replacement "Camber" bushing. Easy to install / replace finally resolving situation.

As per below link the instruction sheet as can be seen clearly emphasizing - Essential Full Tightness of the 4 nuts.

Best Regards

Kevin

https://i.imgur.com/7Ofy9Ys.jpg

Tomsti 03-16-2019 01:41 AM

So how'd this finally turn out. Was the problem solved?

HRD2PLZ 03-16-2019 03:15 PM

Replacement bushings should be here Monday. I'll have them installed shortly after and update the thread.

NYCSoiL 05-30-2019 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by HRD2PLZ (Post 7707134)
Replacement bushings should be here Monday. I'll have them installed shortly after and update the thread.

Any updates?

HRD2PLZ 05-30-2019 11:00 AM

It took a few attempts to get the right parts. When they finally went to replace them, they noticed the bolts in the original ones were stripped. They decided to replace the stripped bolts rather than the entire bushing and due a test drive. The car was quiet for a few days and now the noise is back. It's costing too much money in labor every time I try to resolve this so I am deciding on whether or not to just deal with it at this point.

K-Mac 05-30-2019 09:53 PM

Hard to believe alignment shop did not replace/fit the 2 new Camber bushes supplied.

Such a straight forward operation. Remove bolt, lower arm to expose bush then simply thumb and index finger to push out and swap over.

When I originally spoke to the shop and they advised had found loose bolt in the squeaking mount, said would send "2" new replacements as "obviously loose from original fitment months before and this continuous movement would have damaged the adjuster".

Originally sent #503316K front adjuster thinking your model was a C63. Then sent 2nd pair when pointed out yours was kit for the C300 to 450, C43 4MATIC series #503416K.

Yes, can understand the frustration. Spoke to this shop today and appears emphasis on "replacement" got lost between the office and actual shop floor! They advised to arrange when to bring back in and this time would fit the actual kit!

kfehling 05-31-2019 12:20 AM

Mine squeak too but I just live with it. The brake pads squeak too. I just live with it. I will give the thumbs up to K-Mac and their products though. Very well engineered and gave me the negative camber I needed to survive track days.

Kurt

C3504matic 05-31-2019 01:37 AM

Mine squeak as I said and now they must have loosened again , second time as you can hear a clunk now from the ft arms ..... frustration . I work for Mercedes and ours techs torqued them to spec 2 times now and I'm going to put it back on the hoist to see whats going on ...will post my findings