Sponsored by:

2019 C63S Coupe Review - Autogefühl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
2019 C63S Coupe Review - Autogefühl / Remove Before Race

Last edited by reignz; 07-25-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:40 AM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Gotta be one of the best YouTube with savage geese

Thanx for posting
Old 07-25-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
thanks for posting. Apparently the s has the 9 stage traction control. Would I have waited for the facelift if i knew? Buyers remorse in 3...2...1.... lol
The grille looks fab.
The new steering wheel for the win
more interior trim options
softer? suspension
Not sure i like 9 gears though.
still i cant argue with the £15k discount i got so i feel slightly better...very slightly less remorseful...
Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLA 200 AMG
Great review!
Old 07-25-2018, 08:04 AM

2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
That graphite grey magno colour looks awesome.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 580 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
That 9 stage traction control option from the AMG GTR sounds awesome.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Yea why didn't Mercedes make a bigger deal in pointing out a new 9 stage traction control ala GTR? Personally, of all the updates to the facelift, that's the most exciting feature to me. The transmission definitely seems like an upgrade with faster and more responsive shifting, but I don't like the excessive 9 gears for the sake of fuel economy. I drive in manual almost all the time, so having to paddle shift so many gears when cruising would be annoying. Also, I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but the 9 speed has all new gear ratios, which I'm sure is better for acceleration, but second gear doesn't even hit 60 MPH. Say what you will, but I hate that. If you have a twin turbocharged V8, you should not need to shift into 3rd to hit 60 MPH!

This is just a hot take, but the exhaust from the outside sounds the same as the pre-facelift. But from the inside, there's this almost synthetic E63S type sound... dare I say, pumped through the speakers?!
Old 07-25-2018, 01:43 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Originally Posted by raudiace4
That 9 stage traction control option from the AMG GTR sounds awesome.
Yes, this is a huge feature I wish I had.

Currently, even Sport handling mode kicks in too early.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Yea why didn't Mercedes make a bigger deal in pointing out a new 9 stage traction control ala GTR? Personally, of all the updates to the facelift, that's the most exciting feature to me. The transmission definitely seems like an upgrade with faster and more responsive shifting, but I don't like the excessive 9 gears for the sake of fuel economy. I drive in manual almost all the time, so having to paddle shift so many gears when cruising would be annoying. Also, I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but the 9 speed has all new gear ratios, which I'm sure is better for acceleration, but second gear doesn't even hit 60 MPH. Say what you will, but I hate that. If you have a twin turbocharged V8, you should not need to shift into 3rd to hit 60 MPH!

This is just a hot take, but the exhaust from the outside sounds the same as the pre-facelift. But from the inside, there's this almost synthetic E63S type sound... dare I say, pumped through the speakers?!
Those extra two gears should make it more fun if anything. Making it more economical is just a good by product. But the fact now you need 3 gears to hit 60, should make it more fun, because more pops bangs and crackles by staying within speedlimits. Also the shifting time is faster, so 0-60 time would not change either. It is the best of both of worlds. Test drive it when it comes out, I am sure you will feel the same way.

About have to paddle shift through so many gears when you are driving in manual, you can press and hold the left paddle shifter, the car automatically jumps to the lowest gear possible. I am sure you knew that I guess. You don't like using this feature much may be?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM

2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by munis
Those extra two gears should make it more fun if anything. Making it more economical is just a good by product. But the fact now you need 3 gears to hit 60, should make it more fun, because more pops bangs and crackles by staying within speedlimits. Also the shifting time is faster, so 0-60 time would not change either. It is the best of both of worlds. Test drive it when it comes out, I am sure you will feel the same way.

About have to paddle shift through so many gears when you are driving in manual, you can press and hold the left paddle shifter, the car automatically jumps to the lowest gear possible. I am sure you knew that I guess. You don't like using this feature much may be?
Why would that be more fun? With the 7 speed, you rip through 1-3 gears at rapid speed and with the 9 speed, you're still breaking the speed limit at the end of 3rd gear. Same number of pops and bangs, same speeding tickets. Gearing 60 MPH for 3rd is the kinda weak sauce you see in 2.0L mid-range turbo cars and fast AWD cars (like the E63S... they probably use the same exact ratios). Personally, I just find it weird for a RWD platform like the C63.

I know you can skip gears by holding down the left paddle shifter, but that defeats the purpose of manually shifting. I want to control every gear (hence "manual" shifting), and if you're going to skip gears with that technique, why even bother. Might as well just use the kick down feature since that accomplishes the same thing in auto mode. Each downshift is like an event in this car, I enjoy every pop and crack. But if I had to downshift 5-6 gears just to get to 3rd at highway speeds, it would get old real quick waiting to get to the right gear.

I'll test drive one for ****s and giggles, but by then I'll be moving on to the next platform (likely 911). I will say the shifting in lower gears looks like an improvement over the 7speed in terms of speed and response. Watching a video of one going through the gears reminded me a lot of when I drove the E63S with the 9 speed at COTA.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 07-25-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Class
Shmee was there too:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 PM

may be just me but i would prefer 7 slower shifting gears to 9 faster shifting ones. granted around 4 of those are for highway cruising so one can ignore them. i would like to see someone getting better than 29mpg on the facelift while highway cruising , then I'd say the gears have made a difference because that's the very max I can squeeze out of that engine.
don't like having to hit 60 in 3rd but the vehicle seems to be hitting 60mph faster than the pre facelifts. the super warm weather may be influencing that or they've reworked the race start perhaps?
one reviewer claimed a 3.7 to 60 on the coupe (autocar I believe ).

so the facelift is putting power down really well it seems. then again with the better performance metrics on the pre release versions the journalists reviewed of the M5 recently with the journalist models being faster than the actual release versions, I wonder if Merc is playing with a straight bat here , or are they being a bit shady like bmw seemed to be.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by right_mr
may be just me but i would prefer 7 slower shifting gears to 9 faster shifting ones. granted around 4 of those are for highway cruising so one can ignore them. i would like to see someone getting better than 29mpg on the facelift while highway cruising , then I'd say the gears have made a difference because that's the very max I can squeeze out of that engine.
don't like having to hit 60 in 3rd but the vehicle seems to be hitting 60mph faster than the pre facelifts. the super warm weather may be influencing that or they've reworked the race start perhaps?
one reviewer claimed a 3.7 to 60 on the coupe (autocar I believe ).

so the facelift is putting power down really well it seems. then again with the better performance metrics on the pre release versions the journalists reviewed of the M5 recently with the journalist models being faster than the actual release versions, I wonder if Merc is playing with a straight bat here , or are they being a bit shady like bmw seemed to be.
We’ll have to wait for instrumented and independent testing to confirm. Mercedes still quotes the same 0-60 figures as the pre-facelift. And who knows what tires were fitted to these press cars... could be the optional (and rarely spec’d) Michelin Cup 2’s that give it a traction advantage.

Seems likey race start and the ESP system has been recalibrated to work with the tweaked suspension, new transmission, and electronic settings in the facelift.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Perhaps they’ve reworked the suspension enough where the whole car doesn’t rattle apart on the slightest paint lines on the road.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

You got it. From https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...-sedan-review:

"Mercedes-AMG has cheekily added a synthesised induction note to the C63 as part of this update, but far from sounding obviously fake, it improves the overall noise with an exhilarating upper-rpm snarl complimenting the fat, bassy V8 tailpipe bellow."
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by brevets
You got it. From https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...-sedan-review:

"Mercedes-AMG has cheekily added a synthesised induction note to the C63 as part of this update, but far from sounding obviously fake, it improves the overall noise with an exhilarating upper-rpm snarl complimenting the fat, bassy V8 tailpipe bellow."
This makes me deeply sad. I immediately noticed that pronounced induction because it sounded identical to the new E63S from the inside.

Who needs an ASR module when you can just crank fake engine noise through the speakers

If MB wanted more induction noise inside, at least pipe in real sound via a snorkel/tube like Porsche.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:33 AM

i tell you what, i personally might get some stick for this, but i dont mind having sound pumped through my speakers if it is glorious v8 music and if i'm allowed to optionally turn it on or off. The sound damping is already excellent in the pre-facelift and is perhaps even better in the facelift and as a result, you wont really hear the exhaust at all unless you open the windows or moon-roof and for 8 months in the year in colder parts of the world, you cant really do that. Comparing the C class to my 2017 gla 45, the sound damping quality in the C is night and day ahead of the budget gla cabin.
I have to drive with the windows open to enjoy the exhaust note, or fold the back seats, so maybe the fake speaker sound on balance is more of a pro than a con?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by right_mr
i tell you what, i personally might get some stick for this, but i dont mind having sound pumped through my speakers if it is glorious v8 music and if i'm allowed to optionally turn it on or off. The sound damping is already excellent in the pre-facelift and is perhaps even better in the facelift and as a result, you wont really hear the exhaust at all unless you open the windows or moon-roof and for 8 months in the year in colder parts of the world, you cant really do that. Comparing the C class to my 2017 gla 45, the sound damping quality in the C is night and day ahead of the budget gla cabin.
I have to drive with the windows open to enjoy the exhaust note, or fold the back seats, so maybe the fake speaker sound on balance is more of a pro than a con?
Sounds like you need an ASR module or a secondary cat delete. I'm sure Mercedes would have modified the exhaust on the facelift if it was more cost effective than pumping fake exhaust sounds through the speakers... obviously it was cheaper and they weren't restricted by noise regulations or the particulate filters in the facelift exhaust.