MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Porterfield R4-S pads. Where are you buying them? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/728182-porterfield-r4-s-pads-where-you-buying-them.html)

ScottsC63 11-23-2018 08:44 PM

Porterfield R4-S pads. Where are you buying them?

I can’t handle the brake dust anyone, where are you guys buying your pads from? Is porter field American?

amg8 11-23-2018 08:53 PM

Bought mine straight from them https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

ScottsC63 11-24-2018 05:02 PM

Tried ordering directly from porterfield won’t except my address for some odd reason. Tried Topbrakes and they only sell rears.

RDOCA 11-24-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsC63 (Post 7611493)
I can’t handle the brake dust anyone, where are you guys buying your pads from? Is porter field American?

I bought direct and they were quick --they are in CA

notabenex 11-25-2018 12:50 AM

So compared with oem these have less dust or also better function?

superstarR 11-25-2018 06:21 PM

I bought mine from LPI Racing. Both front and back.
They were quick with shipping.

skim7x 11-29-2018 04:15 PM

Sensors?

I just ordered some rear brake pads direct from Porterfield. I didn't realize I needed to buy the sensors as well -- where did the rest of you guys buy sensors for the brake pad replacement? Thanks!

ScottsC63 11-29-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by skim7x (Post 7616624)
I just ordered some rear brake pads direct from Porterfield. I didn't realize I needed to buy the sensors as well -- where did the rest of you guys buy sensors for the brake pad replacement? Thanks!

ahh **** I just ordered, so one rear sensor now? 🤦🏻*♂️

skim7x 11-29-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsC63 (Post 7616647)

ahh **** I just ordered, so one rear sensor now? 🤦🏻*♂️

No worries... $10 from the stealership 👍

ScottsC63 11-29-2018 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by skim7x (Post 7616686)
No worries... $10 from the stealership 👍

nice 👍🏼

amg8 11-29-2018 08:15 PM

Bought mine from https://www.pelicanparts.com (211-540-17-17-MBZ) rear and (171-540-06-17-MBZ) front

ScottsC63 11-30-2018 09:25 PM

Just the one sensor for the passager rear correct?

skim7x 11-30-2018 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsC63 (Post 7617776)
Just the one sensor for the passager rear correct?

​​​​​​Yup

superstarR 12-01-2018 08:37 PM

You will need 2 brake pad sensors.
1 for the front passenger side and 1 for the back passenger side.

I got mine from a Mercedes dealer directly. The front and back sensors have different part numbers.

gOt BoOsT 12-01-2018 11:51 PM

You actually don’t need to buy new sensors if you remove the sensor from it’s mounting location (before it’s worn) and zip tie it out of the way from all moving parts. You can also cut the end of the sensor off, twist the remaining wires, electrical tape them together to keep the system closed (prevents warning light) and zip tie the remaining wire out of the way. This renders the sensor useless and keep you from replacing the stupid things as you should know when the pads are ready to be changed when they scream at you lol.

ScottsC63 12-07-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT (Post 7618678)
You actually don’t need to buy new sensors if you remove the sensor from it’s mounting location (before it’s worn) and zip tie it out of the way from all moving parts. You can also cut the end of the sensor off, twist the remaining wires, electrical tape them together to keep the system closed (prevents warning light) and zip tie the remaining wire out of the way. This renders the sensor useless and keep you from replacing the stupid things as you should know when the pads are ready to be changed when they scream at you lol.

Thank you for sharing that! Mine just arrived today, part number AP-1873 front. AP-1669 rear. I have silver brakes. R4-S. Are these correct numbers?

RDOCA 12-09-2018 02:36 PM

Got this from Porterfield today for any wanting to do their brakes.
https://campaign-image.com/zohocampa...s51_banner.png

Except, we hate inventory
so we came up with a plan so we all win.

Here is our plan. If you place an order by Dec 28th 2018 and we have that part in stock we will give you a discount for making our inventory easier. Please see below. **offer excludes customs, and cannot be combined with any other discounts***

15% off Performance Friction, Raybestos, Ducting, DEI, Tilton & Wilwood

20% off Porterfield, Hawk, Motul, Redline, XRP, and Setrab

Parts must be in stock at time of order to receive the discount. Must call in to receive the discount. Discount is from Retail pricing.

Our apologies but we cannot apply this to any orders placed before the email was sent nor can we apply it after shipment if it wasn't noted at time of purchase. So please make sure to mention the Inventory email.
Porterfield Enterprises

www.racebrakes.com / (949) 548-4470 / (800) 537-6842 / sales@racebrakes.com
You can unsubscribe from this email or email notifications.

Online version is here.

https://zca.maillist-manage.com/open...2fdd74431b.gif

Zakonax 12-18-2018 03:37 PM

How difficult is replacing the pads by yourself? I have done it before on other cars such as Camry's but never on an MB...

OrientBlue3 05-07-2019 09:49 AM

Any new retailers for these pads? Just making sure I’m getting the best price when I go to buy. Thanks in advance!

ahesq 05-08-2019 11:56 PM

Try either bestbrakes.com or topbrakes.com

I replaced both front and back pads and saved about $40 for everything over Porterfield’s site.

Mine is a 2018 coupe which they did not list so I just chose 2017 and it was the same pads.

What a difference. Almost 0 dust and nice quiet braking

OrientBlue3 05-09-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ahesq (Post 7751488)
Try either bestbrakes.com or topbrakes.com

I replaced both front and back pads and saved about $40 for everything over Porterfield’s site.

Mine is a 2018 coupe which they did not list so I just chose 2017 and it was the same pads.

What a difference. Almost 0 dust and nice quiet braking

Thank you!

zoomzoom22 05-09-2019 11:41 AM

Surprised everyone like PFields so much.

G-LOC Brakes FTW.

www.-g-locbrakes.com

Ask for Danny directly.

KAHBOOM 05-09-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by zoomzoom22 (Post 7751724)
Surprised everyone like PFields so much.

G-LOC Brakes FTW.

www.-g-locbrakes.com

Ask for Danny directly.

What would you say are the pros and cons of G-LOC vs PField?

zoomzoom22 05-09-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM (Post 7751912)
What would you say are the pros and cons of G-LOC vs PField?

I have personally known the owners of G-LOC since they used to be at Carbo Tech. They broke off and started G-LOC. I have been using their cars for years on a lot of race cars.
I also use them for my street cars and they make street compounds that are not harsh on rotors, and do not create a crapstorm of the black ickies. Stopping power is terrific and you can get as aggressive as you want with their pad - from street to mild to full on, don't spill my beer aggressive. They are also depending on vehicle considerably cheaper.

Lastly, they will make ANYTHING and even custom stuff.. 66 Mustang former AS car - yep. Armored truck - yep. Hummer - yep. Tractor - yep. And you can actually speak to the president directly. Want a pad 27mm or 47mm thick? - yep. Ceramic stuff - yep in fact they are still one of the only places that make them for a couple of vehicles. And not least - you can call and talk to the president yourself and/or the head of engineering about what you need/want etc. and what you don't. He will be honest with you about whether they have or can make what you need. Try calling one of the other brake pad companies and ask to speak to someone directly about what they an do/not do or even something custom. Good luck..

They are a great company and great guys. Involved in racing for what is probably going on 20 years now, amateur to pro and the brake pad business as long. Oh and everything made in the US right in NC if that matters to you. Apparently for many people they don't mind buying pads from a company in the US that come from overseas (not PFC btw).

KAHBOOM 05-09-2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by zoomzoom22 (Post 7751961)
I have personally known the owners of G-LOC since they used to be at Carbo Tech. They broke off and started G-LOC. I have been using their cars for years on a lot of race cars.
I also use them for my street cars and they make street compounds that are not harsh on rotors, and do not create a crapstorm of the black ickies. Stopping power is terrific and you can get as aggressive as you want with their pad - from street to mild to full on, don't spill my beer aggressive. They are also depending on vehicle considerably cheaper.

Lastly, they will make ANYTHING and even custom stuff.. 66 Mustang former AS car - yep. Armored truck - yep. Hummer - yep. Tractor - yep. And you can actually speak to the president directly. Want a pad 27mm or 47mm thick? - yep. Ceramic stuff - yep in fact they are still one of the only places that make them for a couple of vehicles. And not least - you can call and talk to the president yourself and/or the head of engineering about what you need/want etc. and what you don't. He will be honest with you about whether they have or can make what you need. Try calling one of the other brake pad companies and ask to speak to someone directly about what they an do/not do or even something custom. Good luck..

They are a great company and great guys. Involved in racing for what is probably going on 20 years now, amateur to pro and the brake pad business as long. Oh and everything made in the US right in NC if that matters to you. Apparently for many people they don't mind buying pads from a company in the US that come from overseas (not PFC btw).

Great to know. Thanks for that information. I am going to consider them. Being somewhat local is nice too.