2018 vs 2019 C63S Decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,456 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by msd3075
You stated your opinion. Great. Nothing wrong with that. So did other people. Again, nothing wrong with that. But you proceeded to immaturely belittle them because their opinions were different.

Don't do that.
If that's how it came across, then my sincere apology. That's not how it was intended.
The following users liked this post:
benzbell (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
Let's all forgive and forget. I apologize to you superswiss and everyone else. We are all just passionate about these cars which is good. Can get a little spirited at times. At the end of the day - we are all AMG bros. Now I say we go after the OP as he is the one that started and instigated all of this - lol.

Last edited by benzbell; 02-06-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: text
superswiss (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
and i was just getting the popcorn out! DARN. lol jk. everyone has their own opinions and everyone has said some correct stuff too...in the end, to the OP, the decision should come down to what your priorities are...price? configuration? availability? new features? for me, i just wanted the latest and greatest, configured exactly like i wanted, so i ordered a '19 straight from the factory. the wait absolutely sucks though and has made me contemplate jumping ship and into something that has hit the showroom floors already, but i remind myself that "this car doesn't have the seats i want' or 'that car's color combination is not what i want' or 'this doesn't have xyz, etc.' so i end up biting the bullet and continue the angonizing wait...all while living vicariously through you all of course. lol
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mrguitar
and i was just getting the popcorn out! DARN. lol jk. everyone has their own opinions and everyone has said some correct stuff too...in the end, to the OP, the decision should come down to what your priorities are...price? configuration? availability? new features? for me, i just wanted the latest and greatest, configured exactly like i wanted, so i ordered a '19 straight from the factory. the wait absolutely sucks though and has made me contemplate jumping ship and into something that has hit the showroom floors already, but i remind myself that "this car doesn't have the seats i want' or 'that car's color combination is not what i want' or 'this doesn't have xyz, etc.' so i end up biting the bullet and continue the angonizing wait...all while living vicariously through you all of course. lol
Yeah - def. wait. I made that mistake on a 2018 GLA45 that didn't have sport seats (my preference). I thought well my 15 C63WS had them and my GTR does now. So I thought - no biggie. Felt comfortable enough. I hated them after a couple weeks and actually got rid of the car because of that. I even checked with MB to order them and swap them after the fact. It was a no go. MB will not sell seats that don't match up to what it came equipped with based on the VIN. Was a pair in Finland for sale on eBay for like 6K. Then I found out the wiring was different also because of the power lumbar and bolster. Didn't want to get into that mess. Costly mistake and I won't do that again.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2019 AMG C63 Sedan (Gone and wont be missed)
There is a lot to be said for ordering exactly what you want and not settling for less. I can sympathize with mrguitar, the wait for my car is killing me. Placed the order a week after Thanksgiving and won't get the car until late March. I have considered on several occasions jumping ship.
mrguitar (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
I think it will help if we all take everything with positive intent

That said, I will say I agree with Drive Unit being a “gimmick” and I say that in the nicest way possible. It’s a really cool feature for me to show off and play with once or twice but realistically it’ll be something that I’ll probably never touch. My car won’t see one day on the track. And there is no chance I’m taking traction off in Texas hill country roads. So yes, soft close doors would certainly be something objectively more useful to me, and I’m guessing most owners of this car. That said, if someone does plan to take fully advantage of the dynamic features of the car, more power to you. I’m assuming benzbell utilizes that GT R to fulfill this purpose, which makes me very jealous after driving one at COTA.

Practically speaking, I think the biggest changes with the facelift (at least for me, someone who will use this as a daily) is the updated exterior and very nice new digital tach and UI. If these features don’t matter for you, then a 2018 with a nice discount could be the perfect choice.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:19 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by Xec
I think it will help if we all take everything with positive intent

That said, I will say I agree with Drive Unit being a “gimmick” and I say that in the nicest way possible. It’s a really cool feature for me to show off and play with once or twice but realistically it’ll be something that I’ll probably never touch. My car won’t see one day on the track. And there is no chance I’m taking traction off in Texas hill country roads. So yes, soft close doors would certainly be something objectively more useful to me, and I’m guessing most owners of this car. That said, if someone does plan to take fully advantage of the dynamic features of the car, more power to you. I’m assuming benzbell utilizes that GT R to fulfill this purpose, which makes me very jealous after driving one at COTA.

Practically speaking, I think the biggest changes with the facelift (at least for me, someone who will use this as a daily) is the updated exterior and very nice new digital tach and UI. If these features don’t matter for you, then a 2018 with a nice discount could be the perfect choice.
I will happily say that i will NEVER take this car on the track (if i want to drive it on the track I will buy an AMG day that has a C63 available). LOL. That said, as a technology freak/lover, I will play with the drive unit all day long (and into the night), even if it does me no good, so i am happy to have this technology in the '19...heck before tires go bad, i may try to find a deserted parking lot and do some power slides. =)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:36 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by benzbell
Yeah - def. wait. I made that mistake on a 2018 GLA45 that didn't have sport seats (my preference). I thought well my 15 C63WS had them and my GTR does now. So I thought - no biggie. Felt comfortable enough. I hated them after a couple weeks and actually got rid of the car because of that. I even checked with MB to order them and swap them after the fact. It was a no go. MB will not sell seats that don't match up to what it came equipped with based on the VIN. Was a pair in Finland for sale on eBay for like 6K. Then I found out the wiring was different also because of the power lumbar and bolster. Didn't want to get into that mess. Costly mistake and I won't do that again.
haha i can't believe amount of complete dichotomy of perspectives people have on the sport vs performance seats...just when i'm sure to settle on the performance seats, i see a post like yours and second guess myself. haha. i'm going in this weekend to sit in the performance seats for a LONG time. if the SA asks why i'm still sitting there, i'll say that my butt hasn't made enough of an indent in the seat or something...that, or say that benzbell made me do it. LOL
Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 PM
Xec

Originally Posted by mrguitar
haha i can't believe amount of complete dichotomy of perspectives people have on the sport vs performance seats...just when i'm sure to settle on the performance seats, i see a post like yours and second guess myself. haha. i'm going in this weekend to sit in the performance seats for a LONG time. if the SA asks why i'm still sitting there, i'll say that my butt hasn't made enough of an indent in the seat or something...that, or say that benzbell made me do it. LOL
If you haven’t already, would recommend you check them out in person.

I actually liked the performance seats and they do their job very well. I found the regular seats fine too. Ended picking the regular ones since most Texas driving is just flat straights and the regular seats are perfect for daily driving. On the occasional curves though, I do wish the seats could hold me in place better.

Side note, if anyone here is on the wider side of things, you might not like the performance seats haha.
mrguitar (02-06-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B9 Allroad, Velar
I got busy at work and came back to 3 pages?! Should I feel honoured? Between the pissing match, there was some decent conversation and info shared, so thanks for that.

After going to a dealership and speaking with them, it appears that I've missed the window to lease the 2018(no idea when the cutoff date was). Since the car will be leased(business/tax purposes), it may force my hand into a 2019. My daily was t-boned, so I may need the car sooner than later; might not be able to wait 3-4 months for the car to get in. Should know more towards the end of the week.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
Originally Posted by purplewidow
You are using it all the time.. it's a system that runs in the background distributing torque to the rear wheels to give you the best traction possible for your driving preference. this car has big issues with traction and the old TC system cut power way too much.. thanks to being overweight with poor weight distribution esp compared to it's main competition the m3/m4. Every review of the car they rave about the 9 stage traction control. Car and Driver just said the 9 stage TC is the best change in the facelift and there are a lot of changes.. Adding the amg ride control as well as the suspension changes and improved engine mounts the systems all work better together to give the driver a better experience with improving the ability to use as much of the power on tap as possible while improving ride quality.. This car has a serious issue with non usable power.. it has so much torque it couldn't use it as well with the old systems.. people complain about traction issues all the time on here.. Why purchase this car if you aren't going to use the power? just status to say you have something you wouldn't fully use? why not just get an e53 that has more power than you would use by what you are saying just running errands and going to and from work at the same price point? This car is meant to accomplish a lot more whether you use it or not that's what it is designed for. If you want the added bump in luxury that's why they have other models that follow that line of thought for the same price..The main knock when compared to the m3/m4, alfa, rs, was it didn't put down the power and handle as well. Focusing on that was a no brainer for AMG and they added more luxury inside to boot. Improving the steering wheel which works amazingly well with the new digital cluster feeding information a lot better esp for nav and performance intel. To me that means a lot more to most than soft close doors and doesn't add weight. So they added performance tech with amg ride control and 9 stage traction control and exterior bits with the aero pack, panamericana grill and performance upgrades with the new trans and suspension changes in the facelift. Those are some pretty big changes. adding soft close doors to the end of that list to me would be more of a luxury gimmick and not fuel what is driving people to switch from bmw, audi or alfa.
I don't think it has poor weight distribution at all. it is just much heavier than the M4 and not quite as sharp turning in on the track as a result of the weight. this car is certainly not trying to be a m4 competitor in how it drives. it has a 40lb air aircon unit for example. it's a luxury car first and foremost. It is meant to be super fun road car and autobahn eater, and while it is too portly to out perform the m4 on technical tracks , it is by far , and I mean by far the better and more enjoyable road car than the M4. The M4 being a nervous wreck on the road and totally jittery and needs constant steering input to keep it in a straight line. Maybe it grows on you ... but 4 people I know sold their M4 within a year.. and I was shocked at how mediocre it was. yes it is fast but thats about it.

I guess in the US lots of folks like to track their cars and while the c63 can certainly do track , it will just eat up tyres and brakes too quickly so this is M4 or alfa territory . So a facelift with a less playful character and more traction focussed would certainly help I suppose . the facelift will still be too heavy to be a proper track car.

However , for me personally , the whole point of all that torque is to defeat tyre grip as often as possible. why would Amg give it 700nm at 1800rpm unless it is designed to do just that ? I love the slippy slidy character and would be upset if instead of the car spinning wheels and sliding and drifting around corners, it instead catapults ahead with minimal slip . in sport plus and race , the esp let's you slide around and doesnt kill power unless you completely go way too far . just my experience. in the UK we have around 100 days of rain a year and the biggest attraction of this car for me is sliding around on slippery roads at low speeds but I can see why many would want a track weapon.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Finite
I got busy at work and came back to 3 pages?! Should I feel honoured? Between the pissing match, there was some decent conversation and info shared, so thanks for that.

After going to a dealership and speaking with them, it appears that I've missed the window to lease the 2018(no idea when the cutoff date was). Since the car will be leased(business/tax purposes), it may force my hand into a 2019. My daily was t-boned, so I may need the car sooner than later; might not be able to wait 3-4 months for the car to get in. Should know more towards the end of the week.
We're coming after you for starting this - lol. Truthfully, you'd be happy with either car. As you know - it's just a matter of what works best for you features/financially.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Finite

I'm not sure what your dealer means, you can lease a 2018...if they or another dealer has one you want. There might be a "cutoff date" for a special lease deal, but that's different. Anyway, I'd personally rather have a 2019 based on the upgrades alone, especially the infotainment, but that's probably because I'm stuck with the crappy COMAND in my GLC43. I'm gonna be in trouble when the 2020's come out. I'll want the new "stuff" and the 63 version. Happy hunting!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by right_mr
I don't think it has poor weight distribution at all. it is just much heavier than the M4 and not quite as sharp turning in on the track as a result of the weight. this car is certainly not trying to be a m4 competitor in how it drives. it has a 40lb air aircon unit for example. it's a luxury car first and foremost. It is meant to be super fun road car and autobahn eater, and while it is too portly to out perform the m4 on technical tracks , it is by far , and I mean by far the better and more enjoyable road car than the M4. The M4 being a nervous wreck on the road and totally jittery and needs constant steering input to keep it in a straight line. Maybe it grows on you ... but 4 people I know sold their M4 within a year.. and I was shocked at how mediocre it was. yes it is fast but thats about it.

I guess in the US lots of folks like to track their cars and while the c63 can certainly do track , it will just eat up tyres and brakes too quickly so this is M4 or alfa territory . So a facelift with a less playful character and more traction focussed would certainly help I suppose . the facelift will still be too heavy to be a proper track car.

However , for me personally , the whole point of all that torque is to defeat tyre grip as often as possible. why would Amg give it 700nm at 1800rpm unless it is designed to do just that ? I love the slippy slidy character and would be upset if instead of the car spinning wheels and sliding and drifting around corners, it instead catapults ahead with minimal slip . in sport plus and race , the esp let's you slide around and doesnt kill power unless you completely go way too far . just my experience. in the UK we have around 100 days of rain a year and the biggest attraction of this car for me is sliding around on slippery roads at low speeds but I can see why many would want a track weapon.
EXACTLY! Why turn a corner when you can drift it, or even do a quick U-turn on a dime? Also, instead of having more mechanical things to tame the unruly beast, just learn the fundamentals of driving. I like to drift the car just to entertain the other drivers and make them jealous.
right_mr (02-11-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C63s
I just went this exact route. I bought a brand new 2018 C63WS in November 2018. I was strongly considering a 2019. In the immortal words of Vito Corleone. I was made an offer on a 2018 I couldn't refuse. I got a loaded (spec below) car with a $94,465 sticker for $84,999 out the door. This car had everything I wanted and more. I am of the 50% camp that likes the pre-facelift grille. As my GTR has a panamericana grille. No big deal there. Digital gauges... meh. It's the same cluster as my GTR and I like it and it does everything I need. Nine (9) speed MCT - no biggie there as well. IMHO you have to really be looking at diffusers - to notice a difference. I'll admit the 2019 diffusers do look better. However, I really like the new steering wheel and infotainment screen. So for me to order a new car because of basically a steering wheel, infotainment screen, 64-color ambient lighting - didn't make sense. Not at 10 grand off a 2018. You have to do whatever makes the most sense for you after you weigh all of the pros and cons. Good luck!

Great spec on this car. A couple things to note about the 2019 is that this two tone Designo interior option with the pearl white is not available. Neither is the air balance scent diffuser either. Not a huge deal for many, but those were two options I was looking for specifically when shopping for my C63s before purchasing.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I love the 2019 the more I think about. I had the chance to get this car now at 10k off sticker. It's an awesome spec IMHO. Plan is my son wants to buy this from me when I order a 2020 later this year.

Last edited by benzbell; 02-09-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: text
Old 02-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
I love the 2019 the more I think about. I had the chance to get this car now at 10k off sticker. It's an awesome spec IMHO. Plan is my son wants to buy this from me when I order a 2020 later this year.
That will be awesome!!!!! You and your son both with c63's.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Xec

Imagining the potential pictures with 3 AMG's...

Surprised you're considering another C though! Why not maybe a E63S? There are actually really good deals on leftover 2018's right now.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I almost did get an E63 S edition one. I was in preliminary negotiations with FJ Newport to get rid of my GTR after one week of ownership. Oddly, I loved the GTR the first week and the second week I wanted to get rid of it. I didn't drive it for three days because I was upset that I wanted to get rid of a car I waited a year for. Lol - I would actually walk out to the garage and look at it and get sad. I was suppose to love this car and didn't. I felt like I was rejecting it. After three days - I drove it one afternoon and still felt the same. I took it out again later that evening and it all changed. My dealership thought I was joking when I said I wanted to get rid of it as the week prior I was telling them what a great car it is.

Funny story - I actually spent a couple months fighting the state to get: "GRNHELL" on my plates. They wouldn't have any of that. Turns out they also rejected "HELLCAT" for a guy who had one as well. It actually came down to like court on a conference call with the state and like 4 other people. At that point I said forget it. They have me repeating a bunch of things for a recording - LOL. I got off and thought what a waste of time and the taxpayers money and they sent me my $125 bucks back or whatever for the plates I didn't get.

I guess I really like the size of the C63 over the E63 is what it boils down to. I also had a 2015 C63 S for two years. So I know the car very well. Still say it is the best car I've ever owned. Just preference is all.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,456 Posts
2019 C63CS
I almost did get an E63 S edition one. I was in preliminary negotiations with FJ Newport to get rid of my GTR after one week of ownership. Oddly, I loved the GTR the first week and the second week I wanted to get rid of it. I didn't drive it for three days because I was upset that I wanted to get rid of a car I waited a year for. Lol - I would actually walk out to the garage and look at it and get sad. I was suppose to love this car and didn't. I felt like I was rejecting it. After three days - I drove it one afternoon and still felt the same. I took it out again later that evening and it all changed. My dealership thought I was joking when I said I wanted to get rid of it as the week prior I was telling them what a great car it is.

Funny story - I actually spent a couple months fighting the state to get: "GRNHELL" on my plates. They wouldn't have any of that. Turns out they also rejected "HELLCAT" for a guy who had one as well. It actually came down to like court on a conference call with the state and like 4 other people. At that point I said forget it. They have me repeating a bunch of things for a recording - LOL. I got off and thought what a waste of time and the taxpayers money and they sent me my $125 bucks back or whatever for the plates I didn't get.

I guess I really like the size of the C63 over the E63 is what it boils down to. I also had a 2015 C63 S for two years. So I know the car very well. Still say it is the best car I've ever owned. Just preference is all.
I'm right there with you. The GTR is the better track weapon, but for the street the GTC or GTS would probably be a better choice, but the C63 is hard to beat. I actually just reread the Top Gear review of the 2019 C63 again last night, I think they boil it right down in their verdict.

The AMG C63 is one of the very best cars on sale. It takes a desirable but not especially interesting small Mercedes and creates a truly special vehicle. In fact, slightly awkwardly for AMG, the C63 is actually a better all-round coupe than the AMG GT, a superior fast wagon to any of its SUVs, and gives the bigger E63 a run for its money as a super-saloon. How can that have been allowed to happen?
I like the 4Matic+ in the E63, but it's in the wrong body as far as I'm concerned. Aside from not being a sedan person myself, it's a big car.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
IMO the 2019 is clearly better in many ways. For me, the digital cluster and the upgraded transmission with better traction control system is a big deal, the grille and the updated steering wheel is an added bonus.
AV1 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2015 S550
Just FYI if anyone is interested....I just bought a 2019 C63s last week, but was talking with Mercedes Benz of Fort Mitchell near Cincinnati the week before about a left over 2018. They had 2 left over last week and I was asking about a designo white one with a sticker of about $88k. They made me an initial offer, without even negotiating of $73k for the new 2018 leftover. Quite a nice deal (15k off!), but I went with a local dealer who sold me mine at invoice minus $1k and really stepped up in my trade.

Soooo... if your in the market for a left over 2018 new, call Mercedes of Fort Mitchell. They are really ready to deal!
Old 02-22-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 Corvette (for now)
Originally Posted by dpm7471
Just FYI if anyone is interested....I just bought a 2019 C63s last week, but was talking with Mercedes Benz of Fort Mitchell near Cincinnati the week before about a left over 2018. They had 2 left over last week and I was asking about a designo white one with a sticker of about $88k. They made me an initial offer, without even negotiating of $73k for the new 2018 leftover. Quite a nice deal (15k off!), but I went with a local dealer who sold me mine at invoice minus $1k and really stepped up in my trade.

Soooo... if your in the market for a left over 2018 new, call Mercedes of Fort Mitchell. They are really ready to deal!
I see you are in NC and just bought at a local dealer. Which dealer was this? Im in the market in NC as well for a C63s
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Xec

Originally Posted by dpm7471
I went with a local dealer who sold me mine at invoice minus $1k and really stepped up in my trade.
Wow that is actually killer deal, congrats

Edit: Holy sh*t, look at this E63S they have
https://www.mercedesbenzoffortmitche...zf8kb4ka580441
Mainly @ the engine builder...

Last edited by Xec; 02-22-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2015 S550
speed4tu, I bought mine from Mercedes Benz of Fayetteville in Fayetteville, NC. They are a real pleasure to work with and the GM (Greg Dudak) will go out of his way to make a deal. They don't have any other C63s's in stock, but can dealer trade for one anywhere as that's what they did for me. Not sure if he'll give you the same deal I got ( I have bought a ton of cars from them), but he will definitely work a discount for you. Give them a call (910-487-0000) if interested and ask for Greg Dudak (GM) directly or Robert Lee (salesman). Good luck!

Last edited by dpm7471; 02-25-2019 at 05:36 AM.
speed4tu (02-24-2019)