MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Removing Adhesive From Magno Paint (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/735515-removing-adhesive-magno-paint.html)

Beast 02-10-2019 01:34 PM

Removing Adhesive From Magno Paint

My 19' Coupe in Magno graphite is scheduled to arrive next month and i am slowly starting to order some mods. I am interested in the mode carbon rear spoiler, but I am wondering if it is possible to remove the OEM spoiler + adhesive on the magno paint without causing damage to the finish?

Please advise.

8cd03gro 02-10-2019 11:16 PM

I was just going to start a thread about this because I want to debadge my trunk. So I'll bump your thread instead, +1

slowc 02-11-2019 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Vader C63S (Post 7677938)
My 19' Coupe in Magno graphite is scheduled to arrive next month and i am slowly starting to order some mods. I am interested in the mode carbon rear spoiler, but I am wondering if it is possible to remove the OEM spoiler + adhesive on the magno paint without causing damage to the finish?

Please advise.

I’d say heat and fishing line

Beast 02-11-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by slowc (Post 7678440)

I’d say heat and fishing line

that is the easy part. The issue is removing the remaining residue off the paint. On normal paint you can just use goo gone and scrub then polish the paint after. You cannot polish magno paint.

C3504matic 02-11-2019 02:09 AM

I'd say do a test area on the paint w/ the goo gone ....it's very easy to mark and a should you damage it a nitemare to paint . We end up painting the entire side if 1 panel is damaged including up into the roof rails

Schulminator 02-11-2019 08:46 AM

Would it be any different than removing badges on a non-matte finish? I use heavy test fishing line to remove badges then a 3m eraser wheel on my dewalt drill. Works like a charm.
Being brand new maybe removing the factory double sided tape might not be too difficult??

GuardianVA 02-11-2019 11:01 AM

This video should help. Basically, it is the same process as normal paint, but as he notes in the video, don't use an eraser wheel. There is likely some difference in the paints used by MB compared to BMW, but I would think the overall process would be very similar. Just test a small, inconspicuous area first (as C3504Matic mentioned).

ygmn 02-11-2019 11:11 AM

MAtte paint.... hmmmmmmmmm removing decal is easy.
Not damaging the paint finish since Matte would be hard.

my guess is you will notice and not be able to do it.
I mean read all the warnings about the paint.
Ya have to be careful how many times you dry it etc as touching every time polishes paint and removes matte finish.

Find a very good detail shop... or maybe talk to paint manufacturer first.

Cause once you start there is no going back.

Beast 02-11-2019 09:03 PM

Yup i think if i do go for the MC Spoiler i will have my detailer install it.

CrashTX 02-13-2019 12:14 AM

Though I shudder a little bit after-the-fact (now that I know) ... my detailer when I had the car PPF'd debadged my car and used Goof-Off to get the last bits of adhesive off. While I probably would've politely told him not to had I known in advance, it certainly didn't harm the paint. I think if it's used sparingly and the adhesive is removed gently (no hard rubbing to cause polishing), it does work without harming the finish. That's apparently what my detailer did and he's worked on lots of matte paints.

raudiace4 02-13-2019 10:23 AM

The #1 thing i'd do to a magno paint car is full PPF. There's absolutely no other way to protect that paint if you're OCD like me.