C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Scoop on Magno Paint Repair/Costs/Care...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 AMG C43
Originally Posted by mrgator_1
Like I mentioned, I was talking from experience, having removed the ppf from my BMW. It was a NIGHTMARE! I’m definitely not an expert, but there isn’t that much info on the net in the best way to remove the stuff. Guess people aren’t keeping their cars that long. But for those of us who are, I’d love to hear your experience.
I would never try to remove any PPF myself - if it starts to yellow and/or crack, I would return to the installer or an authorized Xpel/3m/etc installer and have them remove...
Old 11-29-2020, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Tesla Model X
Designo Magno Iridium Silver Matching

Originally Posted by C3504matic
Ok...hate to break the bad news but the OP is wrong . I work for Mercedes Benz in one of their Body Shops , a newer 32 million dollar facility . We paint more mango coloured vehicles in a month than most bodyshops see in a a year . For us these colours are a very difficult as it's far more work and we never paint just one panel we paint the entire side including up into the roof rails if doing a scratch on 1 panel or multiple . Saying you can blend within the panel and single panel paint is just plain wrong at this time .I am in a area that has one of the highest percentages of high end Mercedes in all of North America and I have yet to see a shop that can panel paint it without the colour being off or noticeable . We see lots of repairs completed by other shops and end up at ours .......99% of painters cannot just panel paint the colour . There are newer techniques that have come out but again we have failed to find anything better than what we are already doing . The charge is also 50% higher than standard base/clear .
Appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm about to purchase a Designo Magno Iridium Silver AMG GTS. I' plan on putting a mild body kit which will replace and paint both new front and rear bumpers and the side skirts(side skirts only needs partial painting). Due the the fact that the designo magno iridium silver is such a light color, do you think the color matching will be any LESS challenging?

Thanks
JC
Old 11-30-2020, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by jchris11
Appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm about to purchase a Designo Magno Iridium Silver AMG GTS. I' plan on putting a mild body kit which will replace and paint both new front and rear bumpers and the side skirts(side skirts only needs partial painting). Due the the fact that the designo magno iridium silver is such a light color, do you think the color matching will be any LESS challenging?

Thanks
JC
The post you quoted above is old. A lot has changed since it was written. I wouldn’t worry about it now. Matching will be perfect at a competent shop but it will cost more than glossy paint.
Just think about full body PPF to try to avoid the need for a Bodyshop.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:20 PM

2017 Tesla Model X
Originally Posted by Surge
The post you quoted above is old. A lot has changed since it was written. I wouldn’t worry about it now. Matching will be perfect at a competent shop but it will cost more than glossy paint.
Just think about full body PPF to try to avoid the need for a Bodyshop.
Thanks buddy!
Old 12-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG

I love mine, so easy to clean.... Yes it has PPE to protect the paint.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes Benz S500L and S500 Night Edition
Selenite grey magno lacquer issue

Is there a difference between the lacquers used on this paint? I’ve had panels sprayed twice now by two different companies and they always come back as I would describe as a layman flat matte or satin matte. My car seems to be pearl Satin Matte selenite grey magno. So they have to spray it again or just use a Pearl lacquer. I have no idea as they just respray it and give it back as correct. However they are ok about giving it back with what I would describe as a layman “two tone paint” until I point it out. Can anyone explain why this is?
Old 12-23-2020, 08:51 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
i just got a c63s coupe with hail damage.... silver magno
going to need a hood and possibly trunk, hope the PDR guys can get the rest out
Old 12-23-2020, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by garno

Is there a difference between the lacquers used on this paint? I’ve had panels sprayed twice now by two different companies and they always come back as I would describe as a layman flat matte or satin matte. My car seems to be pearl Satin Matte selenite grey magno. So they have to spray it again or just use a Pearl lacquer. I have no idea as they just respray it and give it back as correct. However they are ok about giving it back with what I would describe as a layman “two tone paint” until I point it out. Can anyone explain why this is?
I don’t really understand your question, but just a guess: I think the Bodyshop is buffing the paint, which is what’s creating the shine.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
22 (WIFE) & 23 G63,22 TOYO TUNDRA TRD,21 GT BS, 22 McLaren GT,23 DUCATI MULTI V4 PIKES PEAK, 23 S580
Originally Posted by Klinh
I do. Still enjoying my 2009 SLK55 w’ 165K miles.Will also keep the C63s at least that long or longer.
This car looks beautiful
The following 2 users liked this post by Kvn22:
Klinh (03-13-2021), Surge (01-09-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:19 PM

AMG C63S
LOVE this color combo on your wheels. I noticed all Magno color ways come on black wheels including mine! I am considering switching mine over to these forged spoke polished as you have, did you get this car with these rims?
Old 02-10-2021, 05:26 PM

AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Carlo Cc

My 2019 C63-S Graphite Grey Magno had a buff mark on the right fender on delivery day. Dealership scheduled paint repair at their most trusted body shop.

Factory Matte Clear Coat used by MB wasn't available to Canada. They ordered a very similar US brand and worked with customer support to blend the formula. A few formulas were tested on 'Test Cards', held up next to the vehicle, and adjusted until the desired match was achieved.

Once painted onto the fender, it was a perfect match to the door and hood. No need to repaint entire side. Only techniques and education, which will only improve from here on out as Matte paints are still fairly young.
LOVE this color combo on your wheels. I noticed all Magno color ways typically come on black wheels including mine! I am considering switching mine over to these forged spoke polished as you have, did you get this car with these rims?

Old 03-13-2021, 04:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 C43 AMG COUPE
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci
LOVE this color combo on your wheels. I noticed all Magno color ways typically come on black wheels including mine! I am considering switching mine over to these forged spoke polished as you have, did you get this car with these rims?
Yes, built the car brand new. This is the colour combination of the GT63S Edition 1, Graphite Grey Magno on Silver Wheels.

Actually planning on trading in this C63S for a '21 GT63S in Selenite Grey Magno w/ Black Wheels, Gold CCB's, and Carbon Fibre Packages throughout.

Preview: