Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Recall 4911 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
I need some videos. Tempted to go make a video then have them do the update and do an after video to show...
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by superstarR
Just got it done today.
See the image of the service order for more details.

The car is definitely louder than before in my case.
The car shift up much faster in lower gears and the gear box is much smoother.
No exhaust popping in C or S. With my prior software you could hear low pops in C mode.

In S+ every time I'm in the 3000-4000 rpm range you hear a small bang or 3 pops. In 1st gear you hear a loud bang in the 4000 rpm range when you lift off the throttle.
Shifting up in S+ with the paddle you hear an aggressive sounds that you didn't hear before. For me, it's a little too loud all the time for me driving in the city because everyone thinks it's like several gunshots.

The car's overall transmission is much smoother, for example in S+ in 1st gear, if you let go of the throttle at around 2500 rpm, the car will coast at 2500 rpm, where as prior you could feel the torque and the car would slow down immediately. Now that the car coasts, you don't hear the 10 or so continuous exhaust popping sounds or exhaust popping sounds while engine breaking down a hill.

Overall it's a huge improvement, but feels less like a raw AMG car and much more refined now, except when in S+. I'll probably drive more in S+ mode now.

So on one hand you say it’s louder, on the other hand it’s...not? I’m having a hard time following these different experiences.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
I agree with the smoother shifting. As I drove the car a lot today to get a feel for what the update did. To me the exhaust is louder. That's it - that's my opinion. I have not micro-analyzed it in different modes and took notes at different RPM's/shift-points. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. My opinion is based on driving it now and how it felt before.

Funny story. Had to take my GTR in for a weird reverse problem. Shop foreman ran the VIN and there was an update. Never did it again after that. When I picked the car up it had and still has the nastiest growl/snarl/pops on start up. I thought there was something wrong with it after the update. He told me there is really never any specific information on these updates. Just general basic info. Quotes are from the GTR forum and my text to him.

"UPDATE: Shop foreman had it for two days and could not duplicate. He did find and do an engine/transmission software update. Car sounds ferocious on start up. You can turn it on and off as much as you like and there is now a very evident snarl/backfire. I'm talking very noticeable. Texted the shop foreman here's what he said."

So when I took my C63 in the other day. I had them run the VIN on my GTR and there are no new updates. If there were - I was concerned about it getting rid of how it starts and sounds now. So most likely if there was one. I was going to pass. So I can def. understand/relate to someone not wanting to take their car in and have it come out quieter/muted.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Wiggis
Well I’ve given it a couple of days, and it’s very odd !

1, the engine at idle is smoother. Not what I expected.
2, the gearchange points are different. Changes up earlier in lower gears.
3. the problem of the cold start high idle sometimes not working appears fixed.
4, the exhaust pops and bangs appear reduced and quieter.
5, average MPG has gone up by about 1.5 mpg (UK gallons)

YMMV buts that’s what I found.

Thinking out loud.. I wonder if they also blocked OBD tuning with this update? New private key maybe?
Based on this, it appears to be a big set back in my opinion. Can someone else confirm these changes???? I think they are trying to reduce the emissions bull**** for California and sound ordinances.

2. Gear change points is not good in my opinion. If I run it on sport + or race, that means to me first gear will not rev to 7,000 rpms based on what you just said. Isn't it supposed to jump like a race car and rev like a race car???
4. Reduced pops? wtf, we just had an upgrade in 2017/2018 to the TCU and ECU to increment the pops.
5. MPG going up means to me reduced fuel input, that to me means less power...

Someone please reply.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Juniorp187
Based on this, it appears to be a big set back in my opinion. Can someone else confirm these changes???? I think they are trying to reduce the emissions bull**** for California and sound ordinances.

2. Gear change points is not good in my opinion. If I run it on sport + or race, that means to me first gear will not rev to 7,000 rpms based on what you just said. Isn't it supposed to jump like a race car and rev like a race car???
4. Reduced pops? wtf, we just had an upgrade in 2017/2018 to the TCU and ECU to increment the pops.
5. MPG going up means to me reduced fuel input, that to me means less power...

Someone please reply.
I have not detected any difference in the sound-effects - I still get loud pops when I want to. I am talking about city driving. I think if you want to get on it, then the engine will rev and shift in the higher rpm's when you desire. The only difference is that once I get off the gas then the rpm's drop quicker whereas before it stayed in high rev mode and I would have to manually shift to a higher gear to end the nonsense. Before it seemed like the car was too touchy and went into first gear too quickly and stayed there longer. Unlike some, I did not purchase this to race but as a daily driver that I could have fun with. Correct me if I am mistaken, but aren't custom tunes capable of changing the shift points?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C63
Just dropped mine off this morning for 3 pending recalls, with this ECU update being one of them. I never had the exhaust ECU update, so we'll see if it's louder or not after I get it back.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
I wonder why the 2015 was left off the recall ? ...
Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by C3504matic
I wonder why the 2015 was left off the recall ? ...
2015's are included but depends on your VIN and whether the dealer has already applied an ECU update that covers the current issues.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S AMG
Originally Posted by chongl
Just dropped mine off this morning for 3 pending recalls, with this ECU update being one of them. I never had the exhaust ECU update, so we'll see if it's louder or not after I get it back.
I have a C63s ED1 2015 and last ECU TCU update was in January 2018 for the 2017 campaign. This is the update that made the louder pops and multiple pops from the exhaust giving it a more beast sound. I just spoke to my Service Advisor, which my car is in for service and he ran my VIN and found no recalls or service campaigns on his computer. This was a February 2019 update, which means that the computer should display if car is affected. I don't think all cars are affected from this campaign.

Best Regards,
Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63
I’m assuming this applies in the UK also?

My car was built May 2018 so not sure if I’ll need this as it’s a late pre update model

Can anyone advise
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63S
Having spent a couple of days driving in different conditions with the new update, I’m having engine issues now.

1.On cold start there have been a couple of times where the rpm doesn’t stay high to warm up the engine, but drop to 600rpm immediately after starting up the car.

2. On comfort mode at engine idle the rpm is not steady at 600 rpm and fluctuates between 500 and 700 rpm. The needle is always moving a little.

3. Engine/exhaust sound is very different than before with multiple pops when you let off the gas at 3500rpm but the overall engine pop sounds are quieter than before.

4. I can now almost floor the gas pedal and I still have traction, and the wheels don’t spin now. The power feels much less than before because I would always be spinning the wheels even if it wasn’t intended.

Does anyone else have any of these issues after the update?
Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superstarR
Having spent a couple of days driving in different conditions with the new update, I’m having engine issues now.

1.On cold start there have been a couple of times where the rpm doesn’t stay high to warm up the engine, but drop to 600rpm immediately after starting up the car.

2. On comfort mode at engine idle the rpm is not steady at 600 rpm and fluctuates between 500 and 700 rpm. The needle is always moving a little.

3. Engine/exhaust sound is very different than before with multiple pops when you let off the gas at 3500rpm but the overall engine pop sounds are quieter than before.

4. I can now almost floor the gas pedal and I still have traction, and the wheels don’t spin now. The power feels much less than before because I would always be spinning the wheels even if it wasn’t intended.

Does anyone else have any of these issues after the update?
Not at all. I attribute less wheel spin to my new and wider Michelin PS4S. It was silly before, now I can take the car seriously.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Behind The Bibs
I’m assuming this applies in the UK also?

My car was built May 2018 so not sure if I’ll need this as it’s a late pre update model

Can anyone advise
Built March 23, 2018 and got update last week... sedan if it matters
Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Juniorp187
I have a C63s ED1 2015 and last ECU TCU update was in January 2018 for the 2017 campaign. This is the update that made the louder pops and multiple pops from the exhaust giving it a more beast sound. I just spoke to my Service Advisor, which my car is in for service and he ran my VIN and found no recalls or service campaigns on his computer. This was a February 2019 update, which means that the computer should display if car is affected. I don't think all cars are affected from this campaign.

Best Regards,

I had originally posted in here about bringing my car in shortly after this campaign was issued and that it did not come up for my car. I had to bring my car in this week again (unrelated to this), and the campaign showed up. Funny thing was that when the technician (he runs the shop) checked for updates, it said my current software (updated mid-2018) was up-to-date and there were no updates available.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 S AMG
Here is my experience.

Just made the recall update and was really worried about less exhaust sound and no pops but it is seriously the same if not 5% louder (could be a placebo thing) and the pops and crackles is still there.

I love how my car sounds so much together with the ASR module that keeps the valves open.

I notice better transmission smoothness but maybe its because of the adaption reset as some mentioned here. But seriously, there is no negative/bad effect on this recall update.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:50 AM

Still waiting for before / after video comparison.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 S AMG
Originally Posted by JWreck
Still waiting for before / after video comparison.
Come on.. you wont find no difference. Only if you are 2015-2017 and have never updated to pass 2018-updates and had no pops before, then you will love the new update since pop bangs will appear everywhere
Old 04-06-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lovepower1
Come on.. you wont find no difference. Only if you are 2015-2017 and have never updated to pass 2018-updates and had no pops before, then you will love the new update since pop bangs will appear everywhere
Then a comparison video should easily show no change.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w205 c63s
My ride is 15's C63s sedan, got the update last week and definately feel the rpm idle in C mode as well.
Occasionally, on cold start, rpm hikes to 4000 for about second or two and then drops to 1200. Very strange, never had that before the update.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Anything more on this now that several weeks have passed?

It sure is frustrating that we can’t get a definitive list of exactly what these updates are doing, from someone at AMG.

I have held off on this update given the somewhat mixed findings. I went through some effort to get my car updated with the code that gave the car it’s pops and passion back, and would hate to have that ruined.

The earlier shift points seem like a consistent finding. If this update is based on emissions, I’m betting this is the driver for the quick upshifts. In any normal car that has an Eco mode, notice how quickly they upshift. This is an anti-performance feature and concerns me that they are implementing this into the AMG code, even at Sport/Sport+ levels.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
c63S
I did the update and noticed the following:

1. No exhaust popping in Comfort mode and the car's overall transmission is much smoother
2. In S+, there is a small bang or 3 pops during certain RPM range (3-4k). I noticed there is loud bang in the 4K rpm range when you lift off the throttle. It sounds very nice and aggressive!
Old 05-02-2019, 02:55 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by johnstahhh
I did the update and noticed the following:

1. No exhaust popping in Comfort mode and the car's overall transmission is much smoother
2. In S+, there is a small bang or 3 pops during certain RPM range (3-4k). I noticed there is loud bang in the 4K rpm range when you lift off the throttle. It sounds very nice and aggressive!
Did you have a software version that popped before this update?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
c63S
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Did you have a software version that popped before this update?
Yes, my car is a 2018 c63s (coupe). It came with the software version that popped.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:04 PM

2016 C63S
Originally Posted by johnstahhh
Yes, my car is a 2018 c63s (coupe). It came with the software version that popped.
thanks. Interesting and good to hear results from people that have had both. Sounds like overall not much change in the aggressive aspects of the exhaust.

Some have theorized that this recent update actually doesn’t change anything on the user end, and the smoothness and shifting differences are more due to the fact that the TCU was reset with the flash, and it needs time to readapt.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ezatnova
thanks. Interesting and good to hear results from people that have had both. Sounds like overall not much change in the aggressive aspects of the exhaust.

Some have theorized that this recent update actually doesn’t change anything on the user end, and the smoothness and shifting differences are more due to the fact that the TCU was reset with the flash, and it needs time to readapt.
That's not my impression. Sports+ mode was very aggressive and downshifted at the slightest provocation BEFORE the upgrade. It now tends to upshift sooner in normal city driving which makes sense if the changes were made to improve gas mileage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Recall 4911 ?