MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   C63 Sedan vs. C63 Coupe (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/741896-c63-sedan-vs-c63-coupe.html)

E=mC63 04-15-2019 04:39 PM

C63 Sedan vs. C63 Coupe

Hi everyone,

I have been an avid C63 owner since 2012. I purchased a 2012 C63 Sedan, and ended up selling it about a year and a half ago.
I have been driving family cars to pass the time, and now I am ready to purchase a 2019 C63.
I am highly debating on purchasing a coupe. It just looks amazing.

I have a few questions regarding the pros and cons of owning a C63 Coupe?
For the coupe, is it difficult to throw things in the back seat, is it difficult loading passengers, and how are the blind spots, & etc.
Those of you who have sedans, would you want a coupe & vice versa?

Keep in mind that the pricing on the C63 Sedan is about $5000-$10,000 cheaper than the coupe.
I just would love for there to be a compelling argument on why I should get the coupe over the sedan.
Thank you all, would love to see the responses!

raudiace4 04-15-2019 04:49 PM

I love my coupe, it sucks when you have to put some people back there as it's very tight getting in and out, but besides that I don't ever need the use of rear seats. Coupe all the way.

Xec 04-15-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by E=mC63 (Post 7732799)

Looks are subjective but I prefer the sedan. It just looks beefier and more appropriate for this type of car to me. I like more “purposeful” two door shapes, like the 911. YMMV.

The C63 coupe has a pretty cramped rear space for sure. I was surprised how much larger the M4 was in the rear. Then again, the C63 sedan rear isn’t that huge in the back either.

Dynamically speaking the coupe handles better than the sedan (and sounds better!), but supersedans like the E63/M5 will still run circles around it, which is also why I ordered the sedan. Wasn’t worth the utility trade off for me. I do love the 19 coupe aero pack though and the wider flares (both front and back) are sexier.

Keep in mind that the pricing on the C63 Sedan is about $5000-$10,000 cheaper than the coupe.

This is just not true. The difference in msrp is about $2000 and the discounts are very comparable. Looks are subjective and if you prefer the coupe you should definitely go for it. It is a great car in any form.

Chigs 04-15-2019 05:25 PM

If you're keeping the family cars, why buy another. Get the coupe.

superswiss 04-15-2019 05:39 PM

With a coupe, the rear seats are definitely not for regularly transporting passengers. They are for occasional passengers and throwing in some stuff that doesn't fit in the trunk. The coupe is a GT, meant for high speed long distance travel for two people and their luggage. I've only owned one sedan in my 20 years of driving and it was because there wasn't a coupe offered. The C63/S coupe is unique as it is the only variant that got a unique wider rear axle not shared with any other model. It has a wider stance and unique body panels from it's lower siblings with wider arches in the rear. The sedan is essentially the regular C-Class from the B-pillar back with a more aggressive bumper. In person, the coupe looks much better than the sedan, especially with the optional aero package. The stance is simply more aggressive. I find coupes to have better visibility than sedans, because the doors are longer so if you look over your shoulders, you can actually see what's next to you instead of looking at the B-pillar. I'm not claustrophobic, but I don't like sedans. They feel cramped with the B-pillar right next to my face. Coupes are technically smaller, but they feel airier because of the larger side windows. I would personally never get a sedan, unless I really need those extra doors or it's the only option. For example I was briefly considering the Alfa Giulia Quad, which is only available as sedan for now. I buy cars for myself and based on how I use them on a daily basis, not for occasional needs (can always rent something more practical when needed), and if somebody wants to ride with me, they better put up with getting in it ;). It does somewhat help that my wife is a tiny Asian woman and I have many Asian friends, so when out and about with friends, the small women go in the back :).

Honestly, you gonna have to know for yourself if a coupe fits your lifestyle, but the coupe is the one to get when it comes to the C63/S. It got more attention from AMG than the sedan and wagon. I'm getting the coupe, because why would you get a sedan ;). But for me, it's also because the coupe is made in Germany and the sedan is made in the USA or South Africa depending on your market, and I'm doing European Delivery which can only be done with the coupe. I'm picking mine up in 3 weeks.

P.S. If it matters, the coupe is also officially faster than the sedan. Official 0-60 is 1/10th faster, and 1/4 mile is high 11 for the coupe vs low 12 for the sedan. Thanks to the unique rear axle/suspension, wider track and fatter rear tires, the coupe does a better job at putting the power down.

C280 Sport 04-15-2019 05:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been an avid C63 owner since 2012. I purchased a 2012 C63 Sedan, and ended up selling it about a year and a half ago.
I have been driving family cars to pass the time, and now I am ready to purchase a 2019 C63.

For the coupe, is it difficult to throw things in the back seat, is it difficult loading passengers, and how are the blind spots, & etc.

I just would love for there to be a compelling argument on why I should get the coupe over the sedan.

What are your wants and needs? Lets start there. Family ? Sedan. Single or just you and other? Coupe. Do you have other cars? I love coupes and own a couple but to have as a ONLY car is no good.

benzbell 04-15-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport (Post 7732889)
What are your wants and needs? Lets start there. Family ? Sedan. Single or just you and other? Coupe. Do you have other cars? I love coupes and own a couple but to have as a ONLY car is no good.

+1

I'm on my second C 63S sedan. My preference is the sedan. I like the practicality of opening the door to toss stuff in the back seat. Most will use this more than they think. I don't care for the big door (coupe) swinging open so far just to get in and out of it. First detent isn't enough to get out of the car. So you have to hold the door from hitting something next to you if you can't open it fully. Doesn't happen all the time - but definitely an annoyance to me. I also like how the sedan is more of a sleeper in looks. Although car guys will recognize it for what it really is. Coupe is also a bit of a porker weighing 4134 pounds vs 3900 for the sedan. Sedan also gets better fuel economy. Keep in mind parts are more readily available for the sedan then the coupe. So you might have to wait an additional week for something to come from Germany if it's not in stock in the US. However, both are magnificent cars. Just my two cents.

purplewidow 04-15-2019 07:54 PM

I much prefer driving a coupe.. I know the sedan gets slightly better mpg but it’s not worth having the cramped feeling and shorter windows. 99% of my driving is alone or with one passenger. For me it makes no sense to have 4 doors. It all comes down to how much you NEED the 4 doors. When I drove a 2017 sedan and a 2018 coupe I felt the coupe drove better esp powering out of corners. But I am much more used to driving a coupe as a daily.. every time I get a 4 door loaner I am not a happy camper whether it’s merc or bmw.. I am a coupe guy.. love the bigger windows and no b pillar right next to me. I have also heard more complaints about build quality from the US plant in Alabama vs the Germany plant in Bremen. Plus the aero Pkg is only on the coupe adding even more downforce and imo making it look a lot better than the sedan.

C3504matic 04-15-2019 10:22 PM

I'm not sure where you came up with sedans in the low 12's because there are quite a few in the high 11's .....

I prefer the Sedan , the coupe look like a supersized Honda Accord w/ a V8 ....lol . I actually took a picture of a side profile of a honda accord just for these arguments but it's on my phone which is dead .

To each there own I guess ...... I love my sedan and all the room ,it's far from cramped . The only thing the coupe really has over a sedan is it can fit wider rear tires no problem and it has a final drive ratio slightly higher then the sedan therefore does accelerate very slightly faster. I can easily fit my road bike inside plus a load of extras and if I did want to take friends along or family its not a issue with room

As for looks.... you judge ...... Mine turns lots of heads
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...74524c125a.jpg
Sunset Glow ....

Profomo 04-15-2019 10:37 PM

Think as everyone else has pointed out, it would depend on what you will need the car for

Do you need 4 doors? Or is 2 doors enough for what you need?

Styling is subjective as you can tell from the differing opinions here, so it would be hard for someone else to direct you to which body styling would suit you.

At the end of the day, it's still a c63(s) AMG - you can't go wrong

superswiss 04-15-2019 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by C3504matic (Post 7733078)
I'm not sure where you came up with sedans in the low 12's because there are quite a few in the high 11's .....

Was recalling it from memory. The 2019 sedan is actually a high 11 now.

Car & Driver measured the pre facelift at 12.2s @ 116 mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tested-review/

and the 2019 thanks to the shorter gearing at 11.9s @ 122 mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Car & Driver previously measured the 2017 Coupe at 12.0s @ 121 mph, so 0.2s faster than the sedan.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-test-review/

I haven't seen them doing the 2019 coupe yet, but based on the 0.2s of the pre facelift, I'd expect 11.6-11.7s, so yes for the 2019 both coupe and sedan are high 11 now.

Xec 04-15-2019 11:38 PM

Always seemed funny to me comparing tenths when stuff like the new E63S/M5 would absolutely blow the doors off the C63 on both the straight line and the track. And those are fat executive sedans. Coupe vs. sedan what??? Lol.

Pick the coupe over the sedan if you like the looks, but the performance difference certainly wouldn't be in my consideration.

superswiss 04-15-2019 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Xec (Post 7733138)
Always seemed funny to me comparing tenths when stuff like the new E63S/M5 would absolutely blow the doors off the C63 on both the straight line and the track. And those are fat executive sedans. Coupe vs. sedan what??? Lol.

Pick the coupe over the sedan if you like the looks, but the performance difference certainly wouldn't be in my consideration.

That's how these things are measured and compared, but yes, I didn't base my decision on the performance, either. That's why I said in case OP cares.

scrufy 04-15-2019 11:57 PM

I had an M3 and 335i sedan, yes I tossed stuff occasionally in the back seat but not often. Went coupe with my AMG and am much happier.
it all comes down to do you really need the fuller room of the back seats for passengers.
I’m not sure if the sedan seats fold but its a nice feature of the coupe to fold the rear seats down for more storage.
On the performance side, the coupe has the wider tires and considering it can break them loose really easy just driving around town, that would be even worse with the smaller sedan treads.

J.M.G. 04-16-2019 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 7733122)
Was recalling it from memory. The 2019 sedan is actually a high 11 now.

Car & Driver measured the pre facelift at 12.2s @ 116 mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tested-review/

116 mph? LOL. My 2017 Estate (!) never trapped below 120mph on non-prepped tracks over here in Europe (best: 122mph). So something is odd with those figures.

raudiace4 04-16-2019 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by C3504matic (Post 7733078)

I prefer the Sedan , the coupe look like a supersized Honda Accord w/ a V8 ....lol . I actually took a picture of a side profile of a honda accord just for these arguments but it's on my phone which is dead .

To each there own I guess ...... I love my sedan and all the room ,it's far from cramped . The only thing the coupe really has over a sedan is it can fit wider rear tires no problem and it has a final drive ratio slightly higher then the sedan therefore does accelerate very slightly faster. I can easily fit my road bike inside plus a load of extras and if I did want to take friends along or family its not a issue with room

As for looks.... you judge ...... Mine turns lots of heads
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...74524c125a.jpg
Sunset Glow ....

Lol coupe does look a bit like an accord coupe from some angles and far away to people who are not "car people". To me the C63 sedan body is barely any different than a base c300. They all look the same to me. The 63 coupes, wide hips, bulging lines looks 100x better than any sedan. But you know, opinions.

texasmade 04-16-2019 03:18 PM

I have the sedan. I don't have a family or passengers riding with me so a sedan is overkill. It's the extra door where I can just throw stuff in the back seat is such a great convenience though while putting dirty stuff in my trunk (cleats, gym bag, other athletic gear).

msd3075 04-16-2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by J.M.G. (Post 7733173)
116 mph? LOL. My 2017 Estate (!) never trapped below 120mph on non-prepped tracks over here in Europe (best: 122mph). So something is odd with those figures.

Car and Driver openly admitted in that test they had traction issues with the C63S sedan that day and traced it directly to them running at the tire pressures listed on the door jam (48 psi all around if I remember correctly). Other tests elsewhere that ran the gasdoor-listed pressures all seemed to trap at 120+ mph.

JSLoz 04-16-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by texasmade (Post 7733580)
I have the sedan. I don't have a family or passengers riding with me so a sedan is overkill. It's the extra door where I can just throw stuff in the back seat is such a great convenience though while putting dirty stuff in my trunk (cleats, gym bag, other athletic gear).

I am normally the same, I like having back door to throw junk in there... I only ended up in coupe because they didn't have the colour or options i wanted without waiting to order from Germany.

AV1 04-16-2019 11:06 PM

Hi everyone,

Coupe is always my 1st choice for this category of car, I have 2 family DD's a 5 door hatch and a SUV.

If your wanting/needing practicality with a car like the C63 go for the Wagon/Estate not the sedan, IMHO it's way more versatile and better looking (although subjective) and in some markets cheaper than the sedan.

If not or you already have other cars the coupe is a no brainer :)

superswiss 04-16-2019 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by AV1 (Post 7733911)
If your wanting/needing practicality with a car like the C63 go for the Wagon/Estate not the sedan, IMHO it's way more versatile and better looking (although subjective) and in some markets cheaper than the sedan.

And also not available at all in the USA, where OP is located. Americans don't buy wagons apparently.

AV1 04-17-2019 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 7733934)
And also not available at all in the USA, where OP is located. Americans don't buy wagons apparently.

Ah - Damn shame :(

John'sShelbyAMG 04-17-2019 11:21 PM

I've got a sedan. For a C63, I prefer the sedan over the coupe. There are lots of other choices for a coupe, but for the C63, it's sedan all the way for me.

Tuxdude 04-18-2019 01:38 AM

I'm considering the 2019 C63S sedan over the coupe. For me the practicality of the sedan is higher priority than the looks, even if the coupe is couple tenths of a second quicker. I like to take the car to track days, but also would like to have at least four people sit in the car and take a minimum two hour ride. If I need something more fancy and/or sporty (eg. a two seater), I prefer renting one.

I actually prefer the sleeper looks. If really needed, I feel there are other ways (rims, exhaust tips, spoilers, decals, etc.) to make your car look unique without sacrificing utility.

When I last checked with one of the dealers, the price difference for identical build of sedan and coupe after discounts came to roughly $4000.

Klinh 04-18-2019 03:31 AM

Just an opinion, Definitely the coupe. It look so much sleeker, meaner ... etc. The sedan look kind a funny too me. Looking from the side, the front, middle and rear doesn’t flow well together at all. It does look better on the S class sedan though. I might get kill for saying this .... I would not buy a sedan at any price.